Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also just because it's getting lost in the joy and mockery, from the SCOTUS blog:

quote:

A few people are asking when the Obergefell decision takes effect. The opinion doesn't speak to this, and so we should expect it to take effect basically immediately--which is the norm in Supreme court cases. It doesn't look like there's anything for the lower courts to do on remand except issue an injunction saying that these marriage bans are unlawful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I read Justice Scalia's dissent. Its an angry screed of an increasingly irrelevant section of America that needs to die out as soon as possible. He blasts the Supreme Court for not having any Westerners "(California doesn't count!)", and blasts them for changing the understanding of marriage. His account is that the justices have no place applying the law in such a different way (though he conveniently ignores the part where they overturned inter-racial marriage the same way), and thinks its unfair there isn't an evangelical Christian on the Court.

Scalia needs to be impeached, and we can be extremely happy that Justice prevailed, and that he did not carry the day

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Grey Fox posted:

Roberts is a loving coward. He has the power and justification to make a positive impact on this country's civil rights, but instead he's content to wait out the status quo (remember how long it took every state to formally abolish segregation even after the court got involved?) despite the real harm coming to gay and lesbian couples.

His response to this case is ignorant of history and is further proof that he's just an opportunist that wants to play to both sides of politics.

And he's heading the most liberal Court in three decades.

Can you have too much good news? I'm cresting over here.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ahahaha he's like "access to benefits? Benefits? The Framers didn't even believe in benefits!!"

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

Grey Fox posted:

Roberts is a loving coward. He has the power and justification to make a positive impact on this country's civil rights, but instead he's content to wait out the status quo (remember how long it took every state to formally abolish segregation even after the court got involved?) despite the real harm coming to gay and lesbian couples.

His response to this case is ignorant of history and is further proof that he's just an opportunist that wants to play to both sides of politics.

What if Kennedy had not gone in favor of marriage equality? Is there any sign that Roberts would have reluctantly changed? Did being a non-deciding vote give Roberts a chance to wash his hands of the dirty work but get his opinion about the process out there?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

TinTower posted:

:scaliatears:

So he's going to resign because he sits on the very institution that threatens his democracy??

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

xbilkis posted:

Scalia footnote:

Scalia on marriage and "hippies"

Cresting

EDIT: Eat a bag of lawfully committed dicks Scalia

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Hawkline posted:

What if Kennedy had not gone in favor of marriage equality? Is there any sign that Roberts would have reluctantly changed? Did being a non-deciding vote give Roberts a chance to wash his hands of the dirty work but get his opinion about the process out there?
Kennedy was never going to vote against SSM here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scalia's dissent is everything I could have hoped for and more.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

SLOSifl posted:

Kennedy was never going to vote against SSM here.

Yeah, Kennedy's history on this issue made this one of the easiest decisions to predict in a while. The only question was 5-4 or 6-3

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Hawkline posted:

If it went the other way he just as easily could've issued some mealy-mouthed concurrence that amounts to "I feel for you, but the law's the law." Reminds me of the french fry on the Metro case he oversaw before coming to SCOTUS.

http://dcist.com/2005/07/john_roberts_an.php

quote:

No one is very happy about the events that led to this litigation. Her shoelaces were removed, and she was transported in the windowless rear compartment of a police vehicle to a juvenile processing center, where she was booked, fingerprinted, and detained until released to her mother some three hours later -- all for eating a single french fry.

The District court described the policies that led to her arrest as 'foolish,' and indeed the policies were changed after those responsible endured the sort of publicity reserved for adults who make young girls cry. The question before us, however, is not whether these policies were a bad idea, but whether they violated the Fourth and Fifth Amendments to the Constitution. Like the District court, we conclude that they did not, and accordingly we affirm.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Poor Roberts, he never learns. His dissent has a lot of "send it to Congress" in it. Also, he says that the principles allowing same-sex marriage would also allow polygamy, does that mean we're about to see a bunch of circuit courts legalizing that?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoutout to Alito for being the biggest baby in his dissent.

He thinks the majority's interpretation of a "right" is "postmodern", insists that marriage is exclusively about having babies:

quote:

"This understanding of marriage, which focuses almost
entirely on the happiness of persons who choose to marry,
is shared by many people today, but it is not the traditional
one. For millennia, marriage was inextricably linked to
the one thing that only an opposite-sex couple can do:
procreate."

slut shames for a while

quote:

If this traditional understanding of the purpose of marriage
does not ring true to all ears today, that is probably
because the tie between marriage and procreation has
frayed. Today, for instance, more than 40% of all children
in this country are born to unmarried women

and cries about how his bigotry will be persecuted.

quote:

It will be used to vilify Americans who are unwilling to
assent to the new orthodoxy. In the course of its opinion,
the majority compares traditional marriage laws to laws
that denied equal treatment for African-Americans and
women. E.g., ante, at 11–13. The implications of this
analogy will be exploited by those who are determined to
stamp out every vestige of dissent.

So salty.

edit: MY BIGOTRY WONT BE RESPECTED IN SCHOOLS :negative:

quote:

I assume that
those who cling to old beliefs will be able to whisper their
thoughts in the recesses of their homes, but if they repeat
those views in public, they will risk being labeled as bigots
and treated as such by governments, employers, and
schools.

By imposing
its own views on the entire country, the majority facilitates
the marginalization of the many Americans who
have traditional ideas. Recalling the harsh treatment of
gays and lesbians in the past, some may think that turnabout
is fair play. But if that sentiment prevails, the Nation
will experience bitter and lasting wounds.

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 26, 2015

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:siren:Oh poo poo something is going down and they just evacuated the courtroom.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Don't forget to hydrate. Lots of salt in tears. :allears:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Thomas' dissent is insane. This is hilarious:

Justice Scalia posted:

Really? Who ever thought that intimacy and spirituality [whatever that means] were freedoms?

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
I wonder if that minister is going to set himself on fire soon. Does suicide=hell for evangelicals? I know that's true for Catholics.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Mr. Nice! posted:

:siren:Oh poo poo something is going down and they just evacuated the courtroom.

Scalia went critical?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

frankenfreak posted:

Scalia went critical?

super saiyan

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

frankenfreak posted:

Scalia went critical?

There hasn't been a followup yet from SCOTUSblog.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

WHOOPS posted:

Thomas' dissent is insane. This is hilarious:
I concur with Justice Scalia on the "Kennedy writes like a girl" part of his dissent.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Aurubin posted:

I don 't like guns but what the hell is there to dissent to in Johnson?

Quickly parsing his dissent,

Alito doesn't think that the residual cause is vague, having a sawn-off shotgun in your car while dealing drugs is enough to trigger the residual clause, and that the court has reversed its position on the clause from prior cases

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.c-span.org/video/?326810-1/supreme-court-rules-54-allow-samesex-marriage&live=

Mr Obergefell on CSPAN live

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

quote:

Tejinder

To the best of my knowledge it's not an emergency. I think they just wanted to get people out of the building before the party starts. They don't seem to mind that we're in the building. But we'll update if you if we learn more.
- See more at: http://live.scotusblog.com/Event/Live_blog_of_opinions__June_26_2015#sthash.vm03Kxff.dpuf

Looks like no need for alarm.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Chamale posted:

Poor Roberts, he never learns. His dissent has a lot of "send it to Congress" in it. Also, he says that the principles allowing same-sex marriage would also allow polygamy, does that mean we're about to see a bunch of circuit courts legalizing that?

In a post-Lemon context, the Morrill Act would almost certainly fail to pass constitutional muster.

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008
Can someone explain why Robert's decent is so off base (from a legal and not a moral perspective)? I am overjoyed at the ruling today, but it seems like his decent is at least based in some legal thinking, and not a Scalia/Alito "gently caress the gays" mindset.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Chamale posted:

SCOTUSblog said there is specific language saying "two people" so probably not.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

If the news was worth anything at all, they would just air that speech or print a transcript of it and be done.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Kill Dozed posted:

Can someone explain why Robert's decent is so off base (from a legal and not a moral perspective)? I am overjoyed at the ruling today, but it seems like his decent is at least based in some legal thinking, and not a Scalia/Alito "gently caress the gays" mindset.

Not sure but my first thought that it was pretty crazy that Roberts would say its not the court's job to rule on something that sounds pretty likely to have a lot to do with the equal protection clause.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Scalia's dissent is the angriest thing I've ever read that came from a professional. He doesn't end it with "I respectfully dissent" or even "I dissent", he rants about how this decision just makes the states want to ignore the Supreme Court. I love it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Scalia's dissent is everything I could have hoped for and more.

I really want a dramatic reading of it, set to escalating music.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
Why hasn't one of the goonier interns figured out how to send out the brief via quadcopter yet

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kill Dozed posted:

His dissent is off base because historically civil rights have been necessarily declared via the court system because the oppressed minorities aren't able to make it successfully through the democratic process to get the change that is needed.

People shouted back during Loving that of course miscegenation should be illegal but legislatures/people should make the call not judges. It took almost 4 decades to get the laws off the books after the court case.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

lol at the thinly veiled anger from a few commenters on scotusblog. A few people have said things like "What does this ruling mean for religious liberty :mad:" even after the third or fourth time they mentioned how Kennedy explicitly says that everyone still has the firs tamendment right to advocate against SSM.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I'm from Rush Limbaugh's hometown. our local news station's FB feed is as incredible as you'd expect. :allears:

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Kill Dozed posted:

Can't you argue against it and go, "The Legislative of states did try and decide it, and they did it by being bigoted maroons. Using exclusionary tactics which we all know are unconstitutional, expecting it to stand because the gays are icky."

If Roberts came down in favor of SSM today he could have become the biggest inside job for Corportists ever using Social issues as a cover to gut corporate limitations on power for the next century.*(He's doing this anyway.)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

emfive posted:

Why hasn't one of the goonier interns figured out how to send out the brief via quadcopter yet

Make it Dongcopter and you're in business.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kill Dozed posted:

If it was the majority opinion, it would have effectively created two Americas, depending on where you were born and ow much income you had to flee, violating both your due process and equal protection under the Constitution.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
I'm surprised that the opinion avoided the standard of scrutiny for gays entirely and just declared that the SSM bans violated equal protection. Why not explain that it fails even the rational basis test?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Crossposting from the TX thread, SSM is a go in Austin:

The Travis County Clerk's office has started issuing licenses. They will issue to anyone in line as of 6:30PM and will be open all next week including the weekend.

edit: doh meant to post this in the Marriage equality thread. Oh well leaving it here too.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 26, 2015