Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Bholder posted:

You know what, you know better, not-hellthread to talk about what's good for women, without any women involved.

Also video games mean everything and nothing at the same time, they have no effect on real life unless when I say so.

I give this thread 3 hours tops.

Amazing, how you can discern sex over the internet. I'm sure that isn't because you think you know what women all believe at all.

Shadoer posted:

Yes I know. Also the first African Pope was Victor I. I didn't say there was none period, I said the communities were incredibly small and largely traders and merchants.

But still, then why do you seem to think that these games need to have black people represented even though the population was very small or else they are racist... and somehow the Jews and Gypsies doesn't apply even though they were large oppressed minorities in Europe?

I seem to think that because you have a tiny, dysfunctional brain. This conversation has been about how the evil SJWs are criticizing the poor hardworking Czech guy to make a game that's *gasp* anti-historical!

Except that it would not be anti-historical to have a black person in a game set in Medieval Europe. Your arguments have been attempts to get around this fact, because you recognize dimly that it's a bad idea to engage head-on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

paranoid randroid posted:

are you seriously saying you see nothing sexualized about characters like ivy

Thats a silly question to ask considering the convorsation was about Makoto, who is much more conservatively dressed than Ivy. Ivy is someone that I think everyone would agree has a sexualized design.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

I said come in! posted:

I play these games and afterwards do not go off and masturbate to the female characters. So like I said earlier, kinda, if someone is doing this, or see's it as sexualized, then that is entirely on them.

That's good for you. It doesn't change that the character designs include elements that would actually be a hindrance when fighting, and only serve to enhance and emphasize characteristics that are consistently considered sexual by societal standards.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Oh these guys are still around? At least I can enjoy their hategroup slowly turn into a condensed ball of spite as the world passes over them and leaves them behind.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Seeing a sports bra is your standard of sexist is beyond loving absurd. I can't believe you are not capable of seeing this.

The bra is not the issue here, dude. Its more about "was it really necessary to have her bra be exposed like that?". Making her clothing be loose in such a way to show off her rack(In a bra) is a bit off, man.

But its not like its going to change anytime soon. The Fighting Game Community doesn't really care about this and they're the ones driving the sales anyway.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Effectronica posted:

I mean, the fact that people could depict black people accurately in Central Europe tells us that they were somewhat familiar with black people, which stands directly in contrast to the idea that black people were so rare it would be anti-historical to have them in a game set in the middle ages in Europe.

Yeah because Black people did exist, but they weren't a notable minority. Like an average European peasant or even knight would likely never meet anyone who was black in their lifetime. And those that did would have very infrequent contact, usually in the form of a merchant coming in attempting to do business or an envoy from a far off land. The reason an artist could depict them probably had to do with artists did a lot of work for merchants, and some artists did travel around Europe increasing the odds they'd run into someone.

It's still a very rare occurrence.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

paranoid randroid posted:

are you seriously saying you see nothing sexualized about characters like ivy

She's very sexy and I like it and I'm glad somebody made art that I, a sexually-stunted violent manchild, can enjoy because I still have money and artists need to eat.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

Thats a silly question to ask considering the convorsation was about Makoto, who is much more conservatively dressed than Ivy. Ivy is someone that I think everyone would agree has a sexualized design.

im sorry i thought it was taking place on a more general level. ill be sure to more carefully observe protocol in the future, when discussing fighting game t&a.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Sinnlos posted:

That's good for you. It doesn't change that the character designs include elements that would actually be a hindrance when fighting, and only serve to enhance and emphasize characteristics that are consistently considered sexual by societal standards.

And there's nothing wrong with that except the offendatrons like to get their panties in a twist and feed their narcissism over it.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

*puts on school sailor uniform meant for a pre-teen* yeah this is a good outfit for fighting, yeah this short skirt is really gonna give me range of motion on my kicks.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
So long, sweet Hellthread.

I said come in! posted:

Actually the consumer demographic for video games now is 50% female.

It is when you consider video games as a whole, but more men than women like genres like action, strategy, fighting, and sports whereas more women than men like genres like puzzle, adventure, music, and hidden object puzzle adventure. You can see the relevant graphs here.

The argument seems to be that because the games that more men than women like are considered more prestigious and "mainstream," they have to be changed to appeal more to female interests in order to raise the status of women in the game industry both as consumers and producers. Which makes me wonder if it might not be more productive to give more prestige to the games that more women than men already like, especially if you happen to be a journalist with an audience of millions. But when was the last time you saw a HOPA game (a genre with an 80% female player audience) being promoted on Polygon?

Especially when most of the things that the loud people on the internet claim make video games more appealing to women seem to actually have no effect at all on the player gender ratio. For example, even though Mass Effect provides an option to make the player character female, its player base is still 86% male, slightly more male dominated than the "ultra-misogynistic" GTA V (see the graphs I linked above).

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Annointed posted:

Oh these guys are still around? At least I can enjoy their hategroup slowly turn into a condensed ball of spite as the world passes over them and leaves them behind.

GG has largely dissolved aside from a large contingent of diehards on 8chan, and the antis are just shadowboxing with twitter trolls at the moment. Since teh antis have increasingly had fewer and fewer people to fight with theyve just started yelling loudly to anyone who will listen.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dreylad posted:

what does 8chan have to do with gamergate?

I don't know, I think they discuss it there, and probably point out dumb poo poo similiar to this thread, and the ones before it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sinnlos posted:

Which societal standards? There are hundreds of them all throughout the world. Games these days are typical made by a very diverse group of people with different cultural backgrounds and views of the world. You're shoving your western world standards down everyones throat, and lets be honest here, western (American especially) standards are largely hypocritical and bullshit.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Peel posted:

It was marketed (sometimes sincerely, never correctly) as a revolt against unethical games journalism, which drew in a few well-meaning people and led to some false history, but even then the majority of the time and effort was spent on complaining about 'SJWs' and attacking (mostly female) critics of gamergate.
The reason that its "branding" is so strange is that it started out as two completely different issues that were linked via sleight of hand, conspiracy theory, and a common perception that the games press was pretty low-quality (although it threw that point out the window as soon as it started idolizing Breitbart tabloiders). It was broken into two factions because of that, but the "scandal" faction got bored and left when the scandal blew over, and the "permanently-outraged culture warrior" faction is all that's left. The most obvious sign of that is that the original line was that Anita Sarkeesian was inserting herself into something that had nothing to do with her, but eventually obsessing about her turned into the entire point, along with obsessing about crap that has nothing to do with games or journalism at all like the Protein World ads and the Hugos.

It was never really "about" any one thing. It's a lovely hashtag movement and has the same drawbacks as every other lovely hashtag movement (hi OWS): What anyone invested in it think it's about is No True Scotsman on overdrive, and what it's really about is whatever Twitter drives the Ouija planchette over.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm glad this thread has already degenerated into involved arguments about people's opinions on individual character designs.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Meme Emulator posted:

GG has largely dissolved aside from a large contingent of diehards on 8chan, and the antis are just shadowboxing with twitter trolls at the moment. Since teh antis have increasingly had fewer and fewer people to fight with theyve just started yelling loudly to anyone who will listen.

Including the ever-popular internal witch hunts on each other for not being indoctrinated into the cult enough.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

INH5 posted:

But when was the last time you saw a HOPA game (a genre with an 80% female player audience) being promoted on Polygon?

Just because the genre is popular doesnt mean the games themselves are worthy of praise. If a hidden object game were ever rolled out with the charm, or the humor, or the production values of something liek Phoenix Wright then it might be a different story.

Those games are almost 100% shovelware.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
please tell me who gave anita sarkeesian legal authority to determine which content was not permitted to be added to video games developed in the united states

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Why are video game stylized and not designed with realism in question?

While we are at it, why are video games not fantasy enough that they showcase a world where sexism, racism, war and pestilence doesn't exist?

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Wow, a lot's happened since yesterday. Quoting from the other thread.

quote:

As you may have been already informed (Read Facebook link), Apple has removed our game from AppStore because of usage of the Confederate Flag. Ultimate General: Gettysburg could be accepted back if the flag is removed from the game's content.

We accept Apple's decision and understand that this is a sensitive issue for the American Nation. We wanted our game to be the most accurate, historical, playable reference of the Battle of Gettysburg. All historical commanders, unit composition and weaponry, key geographical locations to the smallest streams or farms are recreated in our game's battlefield.

We receive a lot of letters of gratitude from American teachers who use our game in history curriculum to let kids experience one of the most important battles in American history from the Commander's perspective.

Spielberg’s "Schindler's List" did not try to amend his movie to look more comfortable. The historical "Gettysburg" movie (1993) is still on iTunes. We believe that all historical art forms: books, movies, or games such as ours, help to learn and understand history, depicting events as they were. True stories are more important to us than money.

Therefore we are not going to amend the game's content and Ultimate General: Gettysburg will no longer be available on AppStore. We really hope that Apple’s decision will achieve the desired results.

We can’t change history, but we can change the future.

The Game-Labs Team

Maybe Dylan Roof really did plan all of this.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 26, 2015

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Effectronica posted:

Except that it would not be anti-historical to have a black person in a game set in Medieval Europe. Your arguments have been attempts to get around this fact, because you recognize dimly that it's a bad idea to engage head-on.

It wouldn't be anti-historical but it also wouldn't be anti-historical to not include one, either. It's a null point and picking at nits; Polish culture barely saw any people of color and for their art based on their mythology to reflect this is as racist as Japanese mythology failing to depict similar minorities.

If The Witcher were made in America or one of the more diverse Western European countries (including Germany) I'd be way more willing to make the critique.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

please tell me who gave anita sarkeesian legal authority to determine which content was not permitted to be added to video games developed in the united states

john roberts, as a secret judicial activism rider to the gay marriage decision.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Disinterested posted:

Well, it also demonstrates an inability to very adequately differentiate black and middle eastern people, and shows that the primary category for those people was religious. I think to claim that most medieval person knew what a black man looked like is an incredibly spurious claim. You also have to note that the depiction is, by modern standards, somewhat stereotypical at best and gollywoggish at worst. You're also dealing with a more cosmopolitan place in Coburg than, say, Poland.

It's also one example, which does not prove anything.

Okay, the argument here, Disinterested, is over whether having black people in Medieval Europe would be contrary to history and make a game anti-historical. What is your opinion on this question?

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

I said come in! posted:

Are you really arguing this is a sexualized Street Fighter character?

She's not, but the fact that she's basically one of the few characters in Street fighter who isn't speaks against the point you're trying to make.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Motto posted:

I'm glad this thread has already degenerated into involved arguments about people's opinions on individual character designs.
It's like when they transplant someone elses poo poo into your colon to kickstart your gut flora.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Effectronica posted:

I seem to think that because you have a tiny, dysfunctional brain. This conversation has been about how the evil SJWs are criticizing the poor hardworking Czech guy to make a game that's *gasp* anti-historical!

Yes, as the person that resorts to insults you are clearly intellectually superior and I'm dim witted.

Perhaps I will put things in point form so you may better understand my views

1. If someone want's to make a game based on Europe's historical setting, they have to accept that any black characters will have to be either incredibly rare or non-existent. You are right in the sense that they can argue for their inclusion, but it's perfectly reasonable to leave them out as it was a rarity.

2. If you are getting up in arms over the lack of inclusion of black people, you'd have a better case for gypsies and jewish people in Europe whom were a significant minority and people had a greater chance of coming into contact with.

3. Even if they do put some a-historical stuff in, I'm okay with it. It's a game, I'll question the historical accuracy a bit, but whatever. The most important thing is that the game is fun.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Annointed posted:

Yea, it'll be funny when the patreon's dry up and then they'll have to find something else to make a scene about. I wonder if Anime will be next?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Effectronica posted:

Okay, the argument here, Disinterested, is over whether having black people in Medieval Europe would be contrary to history and make a game anti-historical. What is your opinion on this question?

It depends on the region, the time and the setting. Are you aware the game in question hired actual historians (not internet activists) to consult?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Oh lol THATS Makoto, I was visualizing Ibuki in my head the whole time, shes the one with her outfit cut in half for maximum thigh.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just a friendly reminder to not-hellthread, don't take this as an extremely serious issue. This topic is like the Lovecraft tome of the internet. The longer you stare into it and rant at people, you risk going down the path of cardboard box a and spacedad. Down that path lies madness.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Meme Emulator posted:

Also the infighting has started. Can't forget that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

She's not, but the fact that she's basically one of the few characters in Street fighter who isn't speaks against the point you're trying to make.

No? My point was that not every female Street Fighter character is sexualized. The person I quoted said it was every female character. Clearly not true. I don't think any of the street fighter characters are sexualized.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I said come in! posted:

I play these games and afterwards do not go off and masturbate to the female characters. So like I said earlier, kinda, if someone is doing this, or see's it as sexualized, then that is entirely on them.

This right here, this "it's not a problem unless you make it one " poo poo? It's retarded as hell.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Bholder posted:

Why are video game stylized and not designed with realism in question?

While we are at it, why are video games not fantasy enough that they showcase a world where sexism, racism, war and pestilence doesn't exist?

Stylization means big titties, of course. That's all that people ever use it for. I look forward to cracking jokes about how stylized someone is as a pickup line in the future.

turnways posted:

It wouldn't be anti-historical but it also wouldn't be anti-historical to not include one, either. It's a null point and picking at nits; Polish culture barely saw any people of color and for their art based on their mythology to reflect this is as racist as Japanese mythology failing to depict similar minorities.

If The Witcher were made in America or one of the more diverse Western European countries (including Germany) I'd be way more willing to make the critique.

Right. It says a lot that people's most prominent argument against it is not about forcing people, blah blah blah, if you're left-wing you're a sickopathic cultist blah, but is instead about how Europe was solely white (and Jewish, and Romany, and Turkish, and various ethnicities from central Asia, and) until the last two hundred years.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i, too, cannot recognize obvious things, and then deny these things even exist

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I saw a tumblr page ran by a girl who loves that one fat character in Tekken, and she constantly posts sexy fanart of him.

Does that mean Tekken sexualizes fat people?

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Which societal standards? There are hundreds of them all throughout the world. Games these days are typical made by a very diverse group of people with different cultural backgrounds and views of the world. You're shoving your western world standards down everyones throat, and lets be honest here, western (American especially) standards are largely hypocritical and bullshit.

Oh come on. Street Fighter is a Japanese game designed for Japanese and western audiences, as they are the primary consumers. Are you seriously stating that breasts, buttocks, legs, school uniforms, ect. do not have a history of being sexualized in these cultures?

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Effectronica posted:

The poster with the handle "Totalizator" is dead.

:golfclap: Homicidal leftists. I love 'em!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sinnlos posted:

Oh come on. Street Fighter is a Japanese game designed for Japanese and western audiences, as they are the primary consumers. Are you seriously stating that breasts, buttocks, legs, school uniforms, ect. do not have a history of being sexualized in these cultures?

sexualization is a liberal neo-marxist myth, open your eyes

• Locked thread