Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure there's anything funnier than somebody talking very earnestly about the enlightenment ityool 2015

e: actually people talking very earnestly about how feminism is over is also up there and that article has both so it's fantastic basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

I prefer the term "next decade conservatives".

They're reactionary already though.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Bedlamdan posted:

What is your guys' opinion on SedanChair, I only heard of him after the hand thing and then he did the ironic blackface thing so he seems pretty Tezzor-y?

Tell me of your strange culture here in these foreign lands.

I wanna know if bonv's post about tezzor being goatstein is true because I then demand the steampunk wedding pictures

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Bedlamdan posted:

What is your guys' opinion on SedanChair, I only heard of him after the hand thing and then he did the ironic blackface thing so he seems pretty Tezzor-y?

Tell me of your strange culture here in these foreign lands.

Sedan chair is a better person than 90% of folks here and we think it's funny that racists keep trying to paper bag test him.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
ohhh nooo not the enlightenment

next thing you know we'll also stop believing in alchemy, luminiferous aether, and divine monarchy

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

natetimm posted:

If we're going to talk about dicks, let's talk about how Zeitguiest gets his hard tying his black girlfriend up and beating her as part of the petty bourgeoisie while painting everyone else as monsters.

oh hey, found the somethingsensitive creep

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Guys, the depiction of women in gaming is problematic and leads to perceptions of women that are sexist and damaging.

*Muffled yelps and moans from closet*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Shadoer posted:

Sort of related to Gamergate, but a nice essay about how Feminism has become against the values of the enlightenment.

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/feminism-and-the-turn-against-enlightenment/17057#.VY2bRXpVhHz

This article is absolute nonsense.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Effectronica posted:

So you got that from a meme but don't actually know. K.
Unfortunately no. Then the Planned Parenthood guest speaker chimed in that tumblr is also great for organizing / activism.

Life is strange.

e.
Maybe I was being un-generous in my paraphrasing. I believe the word she actually used was "discourse", not "activism".

'Some of the most important Social Justice discourse is happening on Twitter'

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

sudo rm -rf posted:

oh be fair, it's also discussed like crazy on GBS too

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
consenting adults participating in a sex act that presumably both of them enjoy? The Real Racism

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

sudo rm -rf posted:

All I need to do is post true things about bigotry and they out themselves and they still fall for it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Bedlamdan posted:

whats the difference

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Fabricated posted:

I wanna know if bonv's post about tezzor being goatstein is true because I then demand the steampunk wedding pictures

Who is goatstein?

Literally The Worst posted:

consenting adults participating in a sex act that presumably both of them enjoy? The Real Racism

It's deeply problematic.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I'm a lot of things, but not an SS guy.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

INH5 posted:

So if I'm following your argument right, FPS games are considered "legitimate" because of earlier good FPS games. And HOPA games have not had good enough games to give them legitimacy. Your evidence for this is that the HOPA games that you've encountered don't have very compelling stories or characters. Because early FPS games like Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, and Quake are primarily appreciated for their deep stories and well-written characters.

Well these games are built around a narrative focus, even if that narrative is just a half finished skeleton. Hidden Object games are commonly mystery or horror themed and the characters that exist are generally investigating a murder, disappearance or para-natural occurrence. Im going to qualify my next statement: In my own experience with these games, which is limited to watching over the shoulder and giving hints the story portion of these games are flimsy at best. The writing isnt engaging, youre lucky if the characters have more than one portrait, and the story scenes in between game boards is typically "Oh, heres this key I was looking for, now I can open the door! *fade to black, cut to next game board*".

These games arepumped out at an obscene rate because theyre easy to make, and the people playing them can consume them rapidly. However theres no depth to the mechanics and theres no meat to the narrative. Theyve failed to legitimize themselves as either the narrative driven storygame that the new generation champions and theyve failed to legitimize themselves as engaging games since they amount to nothing more than a match game, something that has been done a hundred thousand times before. Theyre meant to be just what they are: relaxing games with soothing music to be consumed and thrown away. That consumable nature though also means there isnt a hell of a lot to talk about which is why hidden object games arent going to make headlines.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Nevvy Z posted:

It's also hilarious

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Zeitgueist posted:

All I need to do is post true things about bigotry and they out themselves and they still fall for it.

Fall for outing you as someone who gets off on abusing black women for sexual pleasure? Do you think your consumption of video games made you this way?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Bedlamdan posted:

Yeah instigated by ss people

Bedlamdan posted:

It's deeply problematic.

Yes my imaginary sex acts surely are.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Was that the same place where farts are misogynistic?

which uni was that

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Prav posted:

They're reactionary already though.

I look forward to the real feminism, where high heels are empowering, c'mon, don't you want to be empowered, don't you want to be your own brand, don't you want to constantly sell yourself to corporate capitalism?

natetimm posted:

Guys, the depiction of women in gaming is problematic and leads to perceptions of women that are sexist and damaging.

*Muffled yelps and moans from closet*

Oh hey... problematic. I've filled the entire motherfucking bingo card.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I walked away for 5 minutes to check on something I had cooking and the thread had already advanced 3 pages and the person I responded to might not even be reading anymore :o

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
Hellthread was the thread GBS deserved.

hwordhan
Sep 27, 2012

Ask me about the taste of a video game character's breast milk!

Did he use a condom? If not it's rape.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Gianthogweed posted:

This thread is moving too fast. Here's a 6 hour video on the upcoming and oh so important SPJ gamergate panel debate that you guys should all watch so that this thread slows down.

https://youtu.be/qECnjnlYu8Y

I do find it rather ironic that this thread is moving faster than the gbs one by a large margin. 3 to 4 hours in and we are up to 20 or so pages.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Nevvy Z posted:

Awesome, explain why.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dreylad posted:

which uni was that

Toronto

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

natetimm posted:

Fall for outing you as someone who gets off on abusing black women for sexual pleasure? Do you think your consumption of video games made you this way?

Wow you are slow.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

I dont think it counts as abuse if the other person consents just a thought

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

natetimm posted:

Zeitgueist is like the Sarah Butts of D&D. Everyone here secretly thinks he's gross and hypocritical but they kind of have to stick up for his hypocritical bullshit because he mostly agrees with them on other things. It's the essence of strange bedfellows. Literally only one person gets off on humiliating minorities for physical pleasure in this debate, but I bet it would shock an outsider which side and how fiercely he was protected.

"we conservatives are the silent majority and if the real world seems to indicate otherwise then reality is wrong. nyaner nyaaner stupid libtard faggots"

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

the university with a huge MRA contingent cool, everyone there deserves each other

being afraid of naming someone who works at the university of toronto is hilarious I gota say

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Dreylad posted:

whats the difference

Only one was Lowtax's idea

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Can a mentally ill person caught in a cycle of re-enacting their own abuse at the hands of a sadist truly consent?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Effectronica posted:

I look forward to the real feminism, where high heels are empowering, c'mon, don't you want to be empowered, don't you want to be your own brand, don't you want to constantly sell yourself to corporate capitalism?

Oh hey... problematic. I've filled the entire motherfucking bingo card.

Just how triggered are you right now? Do you need me to help you into the hug box and bring you juice and cookies? The hug box already has some pillows and a puppy waiting for you.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Shadoer posted:

Sort of related to Gamergate, but a nice essay about how Feminism has become against the values of the enlightenment.

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/feminism-and-the-turn-against-enlightenment/17057#.VY2bRXpVhHz

Ahahahaha from a website with such classics as "Rape culture is a dangerous myth" and "Ben Affleck: A Slave to Identity Politics." Truly a hallmark of intelligent, nuanced reading.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

Can a mentally ill person caught in a cycle of re-enacting their own abuse at the hands of a sadist truly consent?

Is everyone who enjoys bondage/pain-play/etc a victim of abuse or is it possible that they just enjoy it

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

What if the other person is a written-as-consenting videogame character? Asking for a friend.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Dreylad posted:

which uni was that

Toronto. It was a debate, not a decree, my mistake :)

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Everyone shut up for like five seconds and explain to me who goatstein is or just show me the steampunk wedding photos, god bless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Is there any hellthread freakazoid that's willing to justify their existence, or can we just assume that all of youse guys ought to be killed out of hand?

I said come in! posted:

Just how triggered are you right now? Do you need me to help you into the hug box and bring you juice and cookies? The hug box already has some pillows and a puppy waiting for you.

Triggered! All right, that's bingo on three different cards so far.

• Locked thread