Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shadoer posted:

No, I and other's basically specified that it's the extreme left wing and the influence they appear to have. Like in my opinion there's nothing wrong with the left in general, just it has it's extreme fringe just as the right has them.

Like I would say feminism in the sense of pushing for equal rights for women and promoting show's that empower women are good and left wing.

I would also say that pushing feminism by defining it as trying to eliminate masculinity and violence as well trying to censor anything that isn't promoting a feminist agenda, is an extreme position and part of the extreme left.

why should i believe anything from a guy who thinks that people who don't think the way he does must be stupid gullible idiots

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Dapper Dan posted:

Wow, that's pretty loltastic.

It also explicitly compares the villains of that game to GamerGaters, right there in the text haha

Popular Thug Drink posted:

you can tell none of these newbs ever waited patiently by the mailbox for this month's Nintendo Power

Nintendo power ended in 2012, dumbass :smug:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The fact that the fastest moving thread in the world issues and global/local politics subforum is about a twitter flamewar says a lot.

Well guess what fucker, people can be mad about different things, for example, I devote several minutes of my day to be mad at the gamergate, one minute to be mad at the republicans, two minutes to be mad about twitter, 17 seconds to be mad about the prison conditions of insurgents, and two hours to be mad at these motherfuckers posting on the something awful dot com forums, thinking they have the one up on me.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

SedanChair posted:

And we've come full circle! This was the point being illustrated. "It's just a game" or "it's just An Internet" is not a meaningful thing to say when discussing messages.
I agree with you actually, I think creepy forums fanfic writers and creepy video games writers are both creepy.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I think one of the most interesting positions is the one that argues that we completely create ourselves, without any influences from the outside world beyond conscious ones.

Or rather, it would argue this if the GBS people had brains, because that's just the natural conclusion of people who argue that video games being sexist is unrelated to sexism. Because they apparently believe that sexism appears from the ether, or is ordained by God, or something other than it being the consequence of a society where the art and culture are largely sexist and train people to reproduce sexism.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Effectronica seriouspost why are you so intent on dismissing accusations of a callout/outrage culture in certain Leftist circles and particularly in regards to how they conduct themselves on social media?

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

art

Also would this be a good time to recommend supporting We Happy Few on Kickstarter?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

KongMu posted:

That one you cite now in the edit I have read a while ago because a youtuber I watch that's into the oWoD RPG's posted it. Having not read it recently though, from my memory that thesis is a huge false equivalence. First of all I want to know on what planet they think that using what is essentially an occulus rift is in any way a typical gaming experience. I don't know a single person that owns an occulus rift, or plans to when they come out. They openly cite the game WoW at one point as a comparison if I remember, something where you "become" your character. Putting on a helmet, looking down, seeing a fatbody and getting sad is not the same experience as playing WoW from your desktop no matter how much the authors want it to be. But IT COULD mean that if you do put on an occulus rift helmet, look down, and see a fatbody or whatever and get sad, then that may have some effect on something. Also, if you look down and see yourself as something you don't want to be, of course the expected result would be negative. The entire study stems on the fact that their experiment was as fully immersive as they could make it. I never have been immersed enough in a game to make me actually feel as though I was in it, and I can't imagine that most non delusional people have, but I can't speak for everyone.

They weren't "getting sad," they were more likely to accept rape myths like "she was asking for it." Perhaps more research could be put into what degree of immersion and self-identification with a character is necessary for it to start changing your views, at least in the short term, but you really need to reread this study if you thought they were just "kind of sad."

edit: I'd also like to point out that this is something that the conclusion addresses, and even whether or not a person's previous experience with "avatar-based environments" has an effect on how readily they change in response to said environments.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

so your evidence that anita sarkeesian is a thief is because she was given a bunch of money to make some videos, and then she made some videos and continues to make videos. but maybe she was given too much money?

Alright, she's making her technical requirements of making videos about women's portrayal in gaming. She's late as poo poo and the video's are half assed, both in production and intellectual content, but she is meeting the letter of the word agreement.

Now what about my other people on the list like the Honey Badger's getting $30,000 for a legal fund and then hiring a disbarred lawyer?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Effectronica posted:

I think one of the most interesting positions is the one that argues that we completely create ourselves, without any influences from the outside world beyond conscious ones.

Or rather, it would argue this if the GBS people had brains, because that's just the natural conclusion of people who argue that video games being sexist is unrelated to sexism. Because they apparently believe that sexism appears from the ether, or is ordained by God, or something other than it being the consequence of a society where the art and culture are largely sexist and train people to reproduce sexism.

Effectronica we are all GBS posters, here, in Hellthread.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

so your evidence that anita sarkeesian is a thief is because she was given a bunch of money to make some videos, and then she made some videos and continues to make videos. but maybe she was given too much money?

It's a little bit weird if someone who makes a living making videos about a worthy social cause, upon receipt of a whole fucktonne of money, then sits on said money and keeps making videos. Rather than giving a bunch of said money to the many other similar, if not far more worthy facets of their worthy social cause.

If you get your cred to make your living by being socially conscious, do you get to become a little conspicuously deaf to social consciousness when it involves giving away your newly acquired fortune to the cause you apparently believe in enough to devote your working life to?

Like, is it more important that your cause is advanced, or that you personally get to stay paid-in-advance for the next twenty years?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
The amount of care and attention that people under the age of 35 in wealthy educated nations give to things like gaming journalism, Joss Whedon, and women depictions in the Batman video game, compared to the care and attention they give to things like the inevitable depletion of critical resources needed for large populations to survive and the collapse of the planet's ecosystems, is enough to tell me that the human race has about as much chance of making it to the 22nd century as this forum has of making into 2017.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

how are they suckers though

generally if you're going to demonstrate that someone is a cheat and a liar you need actual proof of them being a cheat and a liar, simply accusing them of being a cheat and a liar isn't sufficient to convince other people who don't already agree with you

Can I call their video production management in poor quality then? Rather than target them as individuals. They make, on average, 30 minute long videos discussing a topic in some depth or the other. That's fine and actually what is appealing to what I think is the majority of their audience. The last time they made a video that was on their average length of 30 minutes was 10 months ago and they're halfway through their proposed topic list. That's pretty poor management of their time and production efforts.

Edit - my point being that if you look at their production output, its not that impressive which is my only real criticism about the videos since the topics are creating a debate on representation in games which isn't some sort of terrible thing people think it is.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

It's a little bit weird if someone who makes a living making videos about a worthy social cause, upon receipt of a whole fucktonne of money, then sits on said money and keeps making videos. Rather than giving a bunch of said money to the many other similar, if not far more worthy facets of their worthy social cause.

no it isnt

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

unlimited shrimp posted:

Effectronica seriouspost why are you so intent on dismissing accusations of a callout/outrage culture in certain Leftist circles and particularly in regards to how they conduct themselves on social media?

You could probably make a drat good case that the Zoepost was inspired by that kind of callout culture.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Can we make it bannable to call people "far left" unless they're actively guillotining or firing squad-ing people?

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

why should i believe anything from a guy who thinks that people who don't think the way he does must be stupid gullible idiots

Yeah that's not what I said, that's the crap troll you are trying way too hard to force through.

Like seriously, even you should realize it's not a good troll or particularly funny, why are you even bothering to push this?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The amount of care and attention that people under the age of 35 in wealthy educated nations give to things like gaming journalism, Joss Whedon, and women depictions in the Batman video game, compared to the care and attention they give to things like the inevitable depletion of critical resources needed for large populations to survive and the collapse of the planet's ecosystems, is enough to tell me that the human race has about as much chance of making it to the 22nd century as this forum has of making into 2017.

I wanted to respond sooner but I kept on getting database errors :sweatdrop:

KongMu
May 8, 2005

War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.

TGLT posted:

They weren't "getting sad," they were more likely to accept rape myths like "she was asking for it." Perhaps more research could be put into what degree of immersion and self-identification with a character is necessary for it to start changing your views, at least in the short term, but you really need to reread this study if you thought they were just "kind of sad."

I probably should re-read it, but I still question the validity of their assertions based off of the fact that the study was done in a manner that isn't really attributable to video games or the typical gaming experience.

Edit: Interestingly enough, I think the study may have something on Traditional RPG's, though.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

unlimited shrimp posted:

Because it isn't a real problem

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Unfunny Poster posted:

Can I call their video production management in poor quality then? Rather than target them as individuals. They make, on average, 30 minute long videos discussing a topic in some depth or the other. That's fine and actually what is appealing to what I think is the majority of their audience. The last time they made a video that was on their average length of 30 minutes was 10 months ago and they're halfway through their proposed topic list. That's pretty poor management of their time and production efforts.

yeah they might be bad at what they're trying to do but that doesn't make them con artists, it just means they set unrealistic expectations they're having trouble meeting which is like 90% of what happens in white collar office work

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Shadoer posted:

Alright, she's making her technical requirements of making videos about women's portrayal in gaming. She's late as poo poo and the video's are half assed, both in production and intellectual content, but she is meeting the letter of the word agreement.

Now what about my other people on the list like the Honey Badger's getting $30,000 for a legal fund and then hiring a disbarred lawyer?

you should demand a refund then

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shadoer posted:

Yeah that's not what I said, that's the crap troll you are trying way too hard to force through.

Like seriously, even you should realize it's not a good troll or particularly funny, why are you even bothering to push this?

i just don't understand why you think people who don't think like you do must be either scheming thieves or sad easily bamboozled jokes

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well no I guess it isn't entirely surprising because I daresay most people would drop their principles for money but it's not really the sort of thing to get enthused about.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Dreylad posted:

you should demand a refund then

kickstarter pretty much makes it impossible to get those things short of legal action.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

Well no I guess it isn't entirely surprising because I daresay most people would drop their principles for money but it's not really the sort of thing to get enthused about.

so then don't get enthused about it

it's not a good argument though when someone has a very successful kickstarter for a project to say that they're hypocrites for not breaking some of that off for charity

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Shadoer posted:

No, I and other's basically specified that it's the extreme left wing and the influence they appear to have. Like in my opinion there's nothing wrong with the left in general, just it has it's extreme fringe just as the right has them.

Like I would say feminism in the sense of pushing for equal rights for women and promoting show's that empower women are good and left wing.

I would also say that pushing feminism by defining it as trying to eliminate masculinity and violence as well trying to censor anything that isn't promoting a feminist agenda, is an extreme position and part of the extreme left.

I would say that you're an idiot.

unlimited shrimp posted:

Because it's not real. It's something that people are making up in order to engage in leftist infighting, which is something that is probably thousands of years old. When people call something "callout culture" or "outrage culture", ultimately their statement comes down to a belief that technocratic soullessness is the only way to get things done, even if all they wanted to do was push back over doctrinal matters.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

TGLT posted:

Again going to relink this paper on self objectification and its link to sexy avatars. Cultural products not being real doesn't change the fact that it is both an expression of cultural ideas and thoughts as well as a way in which people learn what their culture at large thinks about things. Sure, the people you very personally respect and value saying explicit things are going to have a stronger effect than the one story where the one person did a thing in a fictional setting, but it doesn't negate the effects of fictional cultural products. It doesn't even mean that what your family explicitly tells you is going to override what your culture is constantly saying. I'm pretty sure black kids didn't learn black dolls are bad and ugly from their parents.

Video games aren't unique in this, but they are still an aspect of it, and the one a dumb nerd forum like SA is gonna wanna talk about a lot.

That's a short term priming effect, and there's no evidence that it extends to a long term effect outside the lab. That's like showing people the cutscene of Aerith dying, testing them to see if they get sad, then if they do using that as evidence that video games cause depression. And how do you know that black kids don't learn black dolls are bad and ugly from how they see their parents being treated compared to white people? Or how they're treated by their peers (note that I included "how your friends treat you" as part of culture)?

Meme Emulator posted:

From my, correct, point of view, people who play games avoid Hidden Object games because they are poorly made. These games are poorly made because the developers that make them have no respect for their audience. Our society's very powerful bias to take feminine tings less seriously than masculine things results in the creators of these games putting in little effort on the product.

"People who play games" avoid Hidden Object games except for, you know, all the people that keep buying them. Or maybe those are just Fake Gamer Girls.

And you have yet to present any actual evidence that HOPA games are more poorly made than FPS games or other male dominated genres, apart from an assertion that "sure, maybe the AAA FPS genre is an endless river of poo poo now, but it had better games in the past."

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

That's largely true, yes. That doesn't mean it isn't a thing.

I would say it's potentially a problem if people associate it with Leftist activism as a whole.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Effectronica posted:

technocratic soullessness is the only way to get things done

It is, though.

Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed.

Actually I think you've already done that so :thumbsup:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Bedlamdan posted:

kickstarter pretty much makes it impossible to get those things short of legal action.

a warning to anyone who pledges on kickstarter then.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Bedlamdan posted:

If you paid by credit card usually you can send to to the disputes department at the issuing bank. Usually there is a limit on how far back you can dispute though.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

unlimited shrimp posted:

That's largely true, yes. That doesn't mean it isn't a thing.

I would say it's potentially a problem if people associate it with Leftist activism as a whole.

People already do that and will do it regardless of reality. So long as bigotry gets even the mildest of criticism from any angle at all, there will be people screaming POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!!!!!!! at the top of their lungs, it's not worth acknowledging them

I mean it's been happening in the real world for like 40 years now, it's only because nerds insulated from the real world for their whole lives are finally starting to run into it that this is even a thing

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 26, 2015

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

Neither is violence/sexism in video games

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Dreylad posted:

a warning to anyone who pledges on kickstarter then.

Yes

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Bholder posted:

Neither is violence/sexism in video games

Is sexism a real problem? Why or why not?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Effectronica posted:

Is sexism a real problem? Why or why not?

Gonna go with... maybe...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Sinnlos posted:

If you paid by credit card usually you can send to to the disputes department at the issuing bank. Usually there is a limit on how far back you can dispute though.

DO NOT claim fraud though. You'll get laughed at.

• Locked thread