Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Zamujasa posted:

Looks like the rent for the apartment I'm staying in w/ roommates is jumping by an unreasonable amount for no actual improvements, so it's time to move. Looking into maybe renting a house for more space this time.

When it comes to leases, is it good to have everybody on it, or just one/two people? With the apartment they required everyone to be on it, but I'm curious if it's the best solution if it isn't required.

Yes put everyone on it. Most places will require that, anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Zamujasa posted:

Looks like the rent for the apartment I'm staying in w/ roommates is jumping by an unreasonable amount for no actual improvements, so it's time to move. Looking into maybe renting a house for more space this time.

When it comes to leases, is it good to have everybody on it, or just one/two people? With the apartment they required everyone to be on it, but I'm curious if it's the best solution if it isn't required.
It is best for everyone involved if everyone living at the place is on the lease.

That being said, some landlords are crazy, and don't want people with bad credit on the lease, even though tenants are separately and severally liable for rent (i.e. if the landlord is willing to rent to just Gallant who has amazing credit, there is no reason he shouldn't also want to put Goofus on the lease, whose credit is poo poo; it only gives the landlord additional options).

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

As I'm struggling to find places to rent and can only afford 1-2 months rent alone are there rooms where they don't require income verification? I have good credit but can't afford to lease 6-12 months at a time.

BTW: Which towns in NJ where I can take a bus to NYC/NY? because everything costs too much here. I need to move out on 6/29 and can probably ship my PC & clothes via USPS as I don't have enough exp driving.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

As I'm struggling to find places to rent and can only afford 1-2 months rent alone are there rooms where they don't require income verification? I have good credit but can't afford to lease 6-12 months at a time.

BTW: Which towns in NJ where I can take a bus to NYC/NY? because everything costs too much here. I need to move out on 6/29 and can probably ship my PC & clothes via USPS as I don't have enough exp driving.

http://www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=HomePageTo

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
My one year lease is up at the end of August. Currently pay $1000 a month but my landlord is raising the rent to $1050. I have spoken to my landlord in the past about going month to month but he is not comfortable with it. He has told me he might be able to do a 6 month lease that will be able to be renewed next year in March. He said something about how it is hard to find tenants during the Fall / Winter.

The thing is, there is no way I want to sign a one year lease. I will be more comfortable telling him that I can pay $1100 - $1150 to go month to month. Does anyone have any experience negotiating something like this?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 19, 2015

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Okay, I'm still trying to wrap my head around this poo poo, so bear with me again for a moment.

- I receive a lease violation notice that says I have 14 days to fix a problem.
- If I don't fix the problem in 14 days, the eviction process starts in 30 days. During that time period I can move out no problem.
- At that point it goes to court, the court date is in the future at some point, probably a few days later.
- So then the court day happens, if I go in and get evicted I then have 14 days to move out. During that time period if I go in and argue for myself to stay it can actually take a long time, so most landlords don't want to deal with it.
- That's usually how it happens just about anywhere, and could be different in the state I live in of Tennessee.

Did I get all of that right? Or did I miss something?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
There are about a thousand other things that can happen in there, but yes, the general outline is correct.

Here's a thought - fix the lease violation, and live out the term following the rules you agreed to.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Skunkrocker posted:

Okay, I'm still trying to wrap my head around this poo poo, so bear with me again for a moment.

- I receive a lease violation notice that says I have 14 days to fix a problem.
- If I don't fix the problem in 14 days, the eviction process starts in 30 days. During that time period I can move out no problem.
- At that point it goes to court, the court date is in the future at some point, probably a few days later.
- So then the court day happens, if I go in and get evicted I then have 14 days to move out. During that time period if I go in and argue for myself to stay it can actually take a long time, so most landlords don't want to deal with it.
- That's usually how it happens just about anywhere, and could be different in the state I live in of Tennessee.

Did I get all of that right? Or did I miss something?

I thought the last update we got your roomies had all moved out and you were at your current place but getting prepared to join ex-roomies.

Now it sounds like you got a fresh violation and are looking to see if you can not fix it, and then hoping the prospect of a lengthy appeal process will make the landlord more likely to... what, make a deal with you? Like are you trying to find a way to stick around longer (asking about how long eviction takes plus court)? If so why?

Edit: oh wait didnt you also ask if evictions would hurt you going into a new place? So you are now maybe hoping the lengthy process will make the landlord more agreeable to not do an eviction formally?

I'm curious what's the deal here.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 22, 2015

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Actually I'm just wondering if they're trying to get me out early, because the latest lease violation was another "your apartment is trashed" ones where my apartment wasn't trashed and they claimed it was and I'm trying to figure out their end game, but if they try to go with the whole eviction thing they technically can't remove me until after the lease is up right? I dunno. It's weird. The whole thing is loving weird. I don't like it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Jesus Christ, just tell them you want to move out because they're insufferable dicks and negotiate a new move-out date in writing. Leave, find another place to live, never think about these people again. Turning your home into a battlefield is a terrible idea and you are the one who is going to suffer for it.

Skunkrocker posted:

if they try to go with the whole eviction thing they technically can't remove me until after the lease is up right?

No, the whole point of an eviction is to remove you before the lease is up. Once the eviction goes through, they can have the sheriff throw your poo poo on the curb (ok, usually they have to wait 10-14 days to let you leave, but then your poo poo is curbed). Your lease doesn't matter, the entire purpose of an eviction is to bypass the timeframe the lease provides. The only questions are whether they can enforce an eviction, and how long it takes to do this. By benefit of experience, your landlord probably has 10x a better grasp of those odds than you do. If you are determined to fight an eviction because reasons, go and get a consultation with a tenancy attorney, and seriously consider retaining them to help you.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Take dated photos of your place just in case they try to gently caress you when you do move out and bill you for damages.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Ashcans posted:

Jesus Christ, just tell them you want to move out because they're insufferable dicks and negotiate a new move-out date in writing. Leave, find another place to live, never think about these people again. Turning your home into a battlefield is a terrible idea and you are the one who is going to suffer for it.

This. A thousand times, this.

So, every time you come up with a new genius plan like "I'll just stop paying my rent and live here six more months, there's nothing they can do about it!", or "they only hate me because of the sexual orientation of my illegal roommates, not because of my six chihuahuas", read the above quote over and over until it sinks in.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

I think you guys aren't seeing what I'm saying. By the time an eviction actually goes through my lease is up anyway. So what is their end game to evict me? Either way I have to leave. I'm confused.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Skunkrocker posted:

I think you guys aren't seeing what I'm saying. By the time an eviction actually goes through my lease is up anyway. So what is their end game to evict me? Either way I have to leave. I'm confused.

No I don't think you see what we're saying: why are you being a dick about moving out? You got a notice to clean your place up or get out and you are asking 'whats the worse they can do?'. Why can't you just clean up and leave at the end of your lease like a normal person?

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Skunkrocker posted:

Evictions show up on your credit report and will make it really hard to find anywhere else to live, so maybe don't be dumb about it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Ashcans posted:

No, the whole point of an eviction is to remove you before the lease is up. Once the eviction goes through, they can have the sheriff throw your poo poo on the curb

Skunkrocker posted:

You sound like my dumbass younger brother. Stop trying to get one over on the people who have the power to make you homeless and move on/out

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Skunkrocker posted:

"Have fun getting apartments in the future with an eviction on you record"? Potentially any monetary judgements that are awarded if you lose as well. I've never been evicted, so I don't know how that process works. If you've signed your new lease already it may not cause you issue now, but all rental contracts I've signed ask if you've ever been evicted and why. If your current place formally evicts you, there will be public record that will come up in your background check. Or its just standard operating procedure completely irrelevant to your lease end date.

Take photos of the "trashed" areas they note in the eviction notice and forward it to whatever legal party you've been talking to. You gave them your move out notice in writing, correct?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Skunkrocker posted:

If your landlord regards you as a problem tenant, it's entirely possible they are concerned that you aren't planning on actually leaving when your lease is up. I mean, let's say they perceive you as having violated the terms of your lease already - if you are doing that, why should they assume you will abide by any other part of it, including the end date? In this situation, it is in their interest to begin the eviction process at the first violation, so that if you fail to leave they are already mid-way through the process and can get you out that much sooner. Waiting until you actually fail to vacate could add a bunch of extra time.

Alternatively, they just really hate you and are trying to either motivate you into getting out before the lease end, or feel like trying to mark your record for whatever way you slighted them.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Ashcans posted:

If your landlord regards you as a problem tenant, it's entirely possible they are concerned that you aren't planning on actually leaving when your lease is up. I mean, let's say they perceive you as having violated the terms of your lease already - if you are doing that, why should they assume you will abide by any other part of it, including the end date? In this situation, it is in their interest to begin the eviction process at the first violation, so that if you fail to leave they are already mid-way through the process and can get you out that much sooner. Waiting until you actually fail to vacate could add a bunch of extra time.

Ah, see, that makes sense...

Well gently caress it then, I've got tomorrow off. I'll move my stuff into the new apartment.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Skunkrocker posted:

Ah, see, that makes sense...

Well gently caress it then, I've got tomorrow off. I'll move my stuff into the new apartment.

Don't do this before you've negotiated a new move out date in writing with your landlord. Additionally, take dated pictures and both you and the landlord should be present to fill out and sign the move out report.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer
On the last day of my lease my landlord (the property manager, really) dropped by and said she was really proud of me and my boyfriend for keeping the place looking so great and cleaning it out so well. At this point in time, I had all the shelving of the fridge drying out on the counter, and my boyfriend was choking on dust from windows and ceiling fans and light domes. She told us we had nothing to worry about, that we were going way overboard, and that they have a cleaning crew come through every unit as a matter of course. I asked for more clarification, and she basically told us to clean thoroughly but the detailing was up to them. She then told us to lock up and put the last key in the mailbox when we were done and that the cleaning guys were coming by later. We continued to clean the house floor to ceiling until we felt happy with it.

We just got the deposit back and we were charged 200 for cleaning, 250 for refinishing of the hardwood, 50 for a fire extinguisher, 50 for smoke detectors, and 50 for an HVAC filter, as well as some "fees" that are way higher than the last water bill could have been. The extinguisher and detectors were there when we got there and there when we left, and the detectors had new batteries in them. The hardwood was pretty shabby to begin with, pretty dull with paint splatters and ugly spots all over, very obviously years of wear, but we left no scratches or scuffs or gouges. The furnace filter was changed during the winter as a troubleshooting measure when the heat was out and is not listed in the lease as our responsibility. I'm also worried that they charge the cleaning fee as a blanket fee to all tenants just because the cleaning company was hired at all, but I'm pretty sure that my state law prohibits that kind of universal, non-refundable fee.

We called the property manager and left a voicemail, and then received a text from her saying she no longer works for the company. She forwarded us to the maintenance guy. He said that he remembers how nice our place was but he was told to charge us for this stuff, so he signed off on it. We're going to formally dispute the charges, but I'm worried that I'll get hosed somehow, like if someone broke in and stole the fire extinguisher or something after we left and we have nothing to stand on. We don't have pictures from when we moved in, but we have plenty from when we moved out.

I don't want this to go to court, but I treated the property well and left it honestly nicer than I found it. Am I going about this the right way? This is going down in Delaware.

Next place I rent I'm borrowing someone's GoPro and taking a 30-minute 4K walkthrough video upon my first arrival. With a lawyer.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Yeah, you're doing fine. Since you have pictures from move-out day you're in a strong position. The logical next step is telling the current management about the existence of these pictures, and see if they immediately back down, which is pretty likely. If not, then it's court time.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That sounds shady as hell. Check your lease to see what you agreed to in regard to a cleaning fee, but the rest sounds like pure bullshit.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
I had something similar happen and moved too far away to battle it, so good luck to you. Sounds like you're going about it right and you have the right plan for future places.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Yeah, security deposit fights are one of the worst things, and I understand why some people just say "gently caress it" and consider their SD gone as soon as they write the check.

Of the 8 places I've rented where I've had to pay a SD, only 1 ever gave me any real trouble, though it was so much trouble I did have to file a lawsuit and go to arbitration. And getting my last one back is simply taking too long, though I don't think it will have to go to court or anything.

I moved out on May 30th, and VT law says I'm to have my SD and a list of any charges to me within 14 days, and my old property manager hasn't done that yet. I emailed him on the 12th saying it hadn't arrived, and he said he was putting it in the mail tomorrow. I didn't get it by the 19th and sent another email, reminding him of the 14 day law. He says he put in in the mail the day he said, and to just wait a couple more days (:rolleyes:). Well, it still wasn't there as of the 22nd, so I sent another email, and he said it must have gotten lost in the mail or something (suuuuure it did), so he'd cancel the first one and send me a second one.

Personally, I think he either forgot the first time, or was waiting for the new tenant's SD check to clear first. None of my interactions with him thus far have been bad, so I'm hoping there's no real ill-intent to keep from paying me. I already mentioned the part about it needing to be to me within 14 days, so I'm hoping that shows I'm serious enough to not back down and it will arrive either today or Monday.

I'm just glad that I wasn't in a position to seriously need that money.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
14 days is an awfully short window for the landlord. In Virginia you have 45 days.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That sounds shady as hell. Check your lease to see what you agreed to in regard to a cleaning fee, but the rest sounds like pure bullshit.

No cleaning fee, and state law (stemming from a court ruling) prohibits them from deducting a blanket fee like that from the deposit anyway. I actually think non-refundable fees in general are illegal here, even up front, except maintenance/access fees for pools/gyms/luxury perks in apartment complexes.

Thanks for the encouragement, goons. Hopefully we can get this resolved without going to court because we're moving out of state soon and traveling back for this will suck.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

14 days is an awfully short window for the landlord. In Virginia you have 45 days.

Only 3 weeks here in California.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Small claims court. Even if you don't have a leg to stand on (and it sounds like you have a leg to stand on), you have nothing to lose to file a small claims suit. Also, your move out pictures will help.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Are there any good suggestions for plastic moving containers? I don't care for cardboard moving boxes and want to have something that can be used for future moves.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Gildiss posted:

Are there any good suggestions for plastic moving containers? I don't care for cardboard moving boxes and want to have something that can be used for future moves.

Like giant rubbermaid storage bins? They're cheap and pretty indestructible.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Tomato posted:

Like giant rubbermaid storage bins? They're cheap and pretty indestructible.

Yeah, just seeing if anyone has suggestions for ones they've found to be really nice or garbage ones that break easily to avoid.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Gildiss posted:

my local costco has solid as gently caress looking ones right now for 4 bucks for a big one and 6 bucks for a really big one, check yours out if possible

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I have always found Big Lots to have good deals on plastic storage bins.

There is a mom-and-pop place around here that sells boxes for $1 and buys them back for $0.50. They run it out of their garage. If you bought 40 boxes and then sold them back at the end, your net loss would be twenty bucks and your environmental impact would be zilch.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

photomikey posted:

I have always found Big Lots to have good deals on plastic storage bins.

There is a mom-and-pop place around here that sells boxes for $1 and buys them back for $0.50. They run it out of their garage. If you bought 40 boxes and then sold them back at the end, your net loss would be twenty bucks and your environmental impact would be zilch.

They probably only buy back unused ones.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Depending where you are, you can rent sturdy plastic boxes for your move. NYT article, just google "rent moving boxes" to find dozens of companies

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Gildiss posted:

Try to get tubs where the bottom is close to the same size as the top. Otherwise all the weight will be pushing into the middle of the lid, instead of onto the edges and corners like it does in boxes.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

They probably only buy back unused ones.
The place I have used buys back used or unused boxes - almost all of their boxes have been used. You just cross out what the last guy wrote, and write whatever's in it now.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Gildiss posted:

How far away are you moving and are you moving yourself? Plastic tubs SEEM like a good idea, but cardboard is actually generally better. If something bumps against a cardboard box, the cardboard can deform but remain structurally sound but if something hits a plastic tub hard enough it can crack and now you've got a tub with a hole. The corrugation of cardboard make the tops and bottoms of the boxes as strong if not stronger than plastic tubs as well which is ideal for stacking. Most pro movers will discourage you from using plastic and steer you towards cardboard instead.

If you're still set on using plastic these guys are pretty good. Big enough to hold a decent amount of stuff, not so big you can overfill them to be way too heavy, no lids to gently caress around with, etc. You can zip tie them shut if you're worried about them coming open too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I mainly want the plastic ones to set a current baseline for all my poo poo. So when I move next time I can go 'Oh look not everythings fits time to purge some stuff.' And also so bugs and poo poo don't live inside/eat the boxes themselves.