Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Moly B. Denum posted:

The videos and screenshots for the first wave of Sega games aren't in 3d, but the games themselves are.

Oh I had no doubt that the game looked better than the trailer. It's just one of those buying sight unseen things that I'm not a fan of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

Isn't the male gay option that guy with Nohr who likes torturing people, too?

Maybe they'll be more well-rounded than they look, because that's not a great first impression of your representatives there.

The S support conversations themselves seem tastefully written enough. As for how they are outside of that, no idea.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

Oh I had no doubt that the game looked better than the trailer. It's just one of those buying sight unseen things that I'm not a fan of.

I think someone linked a Sega blog post with the developers earlier (I'll find the link when I'm not on mobile). That was really insightful. The 3D included them adding more background layers and going through each level to adjust which sprites Sonic could run in front of or behind. Other stuff as well, but that stood out to me as some incredible attention to detail.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there a tracker somewhere for watching for deals on an N3DSXL? I want to get one, but I'm hoping to grab one when they're a bit cheaper than $200.

edit: Also, what kind of Micro SD card should I get? Sandisk Extreme? Or does it not matter?

edit2: Wait, what? I have to disassemble the system to upgrade the SD card!?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 27, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Zet posted:

I think someone linked a Sega blog post with the developers earlier (I'll find the link when I'm not on mobile). That was really insightful. The 3D included them adding more background layers and going through each level to adjust which sprites Sonic could run in front of or behind. Other stuff as well, but that stood out to me as some incredible attention to detail.

http://blogs.sega.com/2015/01/23/sega-3d-classics-developer-interviews/

I think this is a list of them.

In essence, they couldn't get the Genesis running on 3DS properly with stereoscopic 3D like they wanted, so they basically made a Super Genesis that could do what they wanted, built it using 3DS emulation and then modified the games to run on their Super Genesis, according to their Sonic 1 blog. M2's the studio that did all these, they're really good at this kinda thing.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

http://blogs.sega.com/2015/01/23/sega-3d-classics-developer-interviews/

I think this is a list of them.

In essence, they couldn't get the Genesis running on 3DS properly with stereoscopic 3D like they wanted, so they basically made a Super Genesis that could do what they wanted, built it using 3DS emulation and then modified the games to run on their Super Genesis, according to their Sonic 1 blog. M2's the studio that did all these, they're really good at this kinda thing.

Yes, this is the Sonic one, specifically. The amount of effort they put into it to making it a not-lovely port was impressive to me.

Here's an image where Sonic is behind a tree. Neato!

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Is there a tracker somewhere for watching for deals on an N3DSXL? I want to get one, but I'm hoping to grab one when they're a bit cheaper than $200.

edit: Also, what kind of Micro SD card should I get? Sandisk Extreme? Or does it not matter?

edit2: Wait, what? I have to disassemble the system to upgrade the SD card!?

No? You just unscrew a couple screws and pop the back plate off. It's about as hard as pulling off a battery cover and replacing the SD card in a phone.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

zip zop zoobitybop posted:

No? You just unscrew a couple screws and pop the back plate off. It's about as hard as pulling off a battery cover and replacing the SD card in a phone.

That said, make sure you practice first so you don't damage the 3DS or strip the screws in the process.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

For fucks sake, you do not need to practice screwing. Anti clockwise to unscrew, clockwise to screw it back and use the right size screwdriver.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Sodium Chloride posted:

For fucks sake, you do not need to practice screwing. Anti clockwise to unscrew, clockwise to screw it back and use the right size screwdriver.

The most important thing though is to know that the screws don't actually come off. When you feel that they're sort of especially loose, stop – that's as far as they'll come and once they're both like that, the cover comes off.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You'll hear a click when they're fully out. That's your cue to either unscrew the other one or pull the back plate off.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I think people are joking when they say you should practice screwing. Just make sure you have a 00 screwdriver and you're good to go.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

If you practice screwing it certainly can't hurt your performance later though.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

zip zop zoobitybop posted:

Yea all those battery covers which require screw drivers in a size most people don't have at home to open

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Righty loosey lefty tighty

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Practice makes perfect.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

People liked the KI:U stand, right? It's on nintendo.com (I got KI:U from club nintendo but haven't really played it). I have the N3DS XL, I assume it still fits?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Pollyanna posted:

/r/3dsDeals or make an email alert on slickdeals.net

You missed a Staples $170 sale yesterday.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Fritzler posted:

People liked the KI:U stand, right? It's on nintendo.com (I got KI:U from club nintendo but haven't really played it). I have the N3DS XL, I assume it still fits?
I keep my 3DSXL on my stand a lot of the time, even when playing button-only games. But it's especially great for touchscreen-only games like Curtain Call and Pokémon Shuffle, or for stuff like browsing the eShop. Uprising was definitely improved by it. It "fits" inasmuch as the stand is just a little plastic thing you fold out. You could put anything on there. I used it with my PSP at some point.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Katana Gomai posted:

Yea all those battery covers which require screw drivers in a size most people don't have at home to open

Lol

For real though a set costs a few bucks...I think I paid <$10 for a set that has every bit imaginable just to have around the house. Also you can't even lose the screws!

Oh, and to the original guy asking, it's nowhere near as difficult as dissembling the system, but slightly more difficult then removing a phone's battery cover. Don't get discouraged, and enjoy your new Nintendo 3dsxl gaming friend.

pizza valentine fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 28, 2015

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I literally opened up the back of my new 3dsxl yesterday and it really is simple as anything, there's instructions in the booklet.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

KennyMan666 posted:

I keep my 3DSXL on my stand a lot of the time, even when playing button-only games. But it's especially great for touchscreen-only games like Curtain Call and Pokémon Shuffle, or for stuff like browsing the eShop. Uprising was definitely improved by it. It "fits" inasmuch as the stand is just a little plastic thing you fold out. You could put anything on there. I used it with my PSP at some point.
Cool, I guess I'll pick one up with NSMBU&L. Thanks!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The Vinja Ninja posted:

Enjoying the E-shop Exculusive Swords and Darkness. Its pretty much Dark Souls River city ransom. Which makes it 10x better than code of princess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiiQ3ep4tmU

I would recommend wasting your hard earned money on this.

I wasted my hard earned money on this and I like it! Up around lvl 21-22 now, and feeling like quite the beat stick. Mobility really picks up after a bit of leveling and skill buys.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zet posted:

Yes, this is the Sonic one, specifically. The amount of effort they put into it to making it a not-lovely port was impressive to me.

Here's an image where Sonic is behind a tree. Neato!

I'm going to buy this out of principle and in hopes they follow up with the rest of the series. Man they put in some work.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There are three more Sega 3D Classics coming this year: Streets of Rage 2 (out in Japan, out elsewhere next month), Gunstar Heroes (came out in Japan this week, out elsewhere in August), Sonic 2 (out in Japan next month, out elsewhere in September). These are all games that were particularly tough to convert to stereoscopic 3D and they may end up being the final games in the series.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Funny to think that Sega did 3D games before the 3DS

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

A normal-sized Phillips driver works fine unless its head is especially dull.

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene
Recently having purchased a NN3DSXL I'm working on acquiring a backlog of the better games playable on the system, including some of the Zelda titles. When I started looking into OoT, I found out it was out of print and (to my surprise, never knew how well Nintendo games can retain value) more expensive than at release, if anything, for a new sealed copy - to which I had quickly relegated myself to buying used. What I'm really getting at here is I stumbled upon a guy on ebay who's selling sealed french Canadian copies (they have the option of being played in both English and French, so says the description) en masse for a fairly reasonable price compared to what seems to be the going rate, with free shipping at that. I ordered last night so I can't confirm it 100% yet but considering he's sold a ton already, has very good rating, and I can corroborate that apparently new copies are still circulating in Canada, it seems pretty solid. Not sure if anyone here is actually looking for this sort of thing still but I figured I'd share it Here in case anyone was interested.

Anyhow getting a 3ds has been a rad idea, it's the first time I've really messed with Nintendo since the Gamecube. The catalog of games to choose from is so good - too bad I'm mostly just addicted to hunting monsters. The screwing sure sounds like it wont live up to the hype, in any case, I'm eager to screw;

I also see that Xenoblade Chronicles 3D is gonna be on sale at Best Buy this week (which I'll probably just pricematch at Target), it looks kind of like anime sci fi dragon age, is this impression at all close?

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Prude posted:

The screwing sure sounds like it wont live up to the hype, in any case, I'm eager to screw;

The New 3DS needs a #0 screwdriver, but it looks like you purchased a #00 which has a smaller head. Hopefully it's not too small.

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene

GI_Clutch posted:

The New 3DS needs a #0 screwdriver, but it looks like you purchased a #00 which has a smaller head. Hopefully it's not too small.

I already own a set including a #0 which felt a little rough, so I decided to pick up a #00 in case I liked the fit better (and some people have said #00 does work better, lots of conflicting reports, probably doesn't matter) since I needed to hit that free same-day instant-gratification delivery via prime threshold (also explains my wild foray into the world of fiber supplements), and having a #00 anyhow would be good for when I need to tinker with other things.

e; I'm really good at finding reasons to spend money I don't really need to spend.

Prude fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 28, 2015

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Prude posted:

I also see that Xenoblade Chronicles 3D is gonna be on sale at Best Buy this week (which I'll probably just pricematch at Target), it looks kind of like anime sci fi dragon age, is this impression at all close?

i don't know what dragon age is like but i'd describe xenoblade as a single player offline mmo

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
If you're talking about the most recent dragon age game, then yeah, sorta, but more of a JRPG. The story is completely noninteractive, for example

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Oh and you can't gently caress your party members

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sadly.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Stella Glow, the Atlus-published imageepoch SRPG, has a tentative NA release date of November 17. I hear it's actually pretty okay.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Prude posted:

Sort of but not really. It's much more like a classic console RPG that's just been opened up a lot. You can however get lost for hours just doing sidequests so if that's what you're looking for it's definitely there

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I find its like a single player MMORPG for better or worse.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Every time people talk about Xenoblade, I misread it as Xenosaga and think there was some re-release for the 3DS that slipped under the radar. :smith:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

C.M. Kruger posted:

Every time people talk about Xenoblade, I misread it as Xenosaga and think there was some re-release for the 3DS that slipped under the radar. :smith:

Actually,

But Xenoblade is, in their creators' words, an indirect continuation and a better experience.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I disagree.