Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

More like Christie vs. Trump.

If the two are competing in any way, Trump will call him a loser and Christie will attempt to beat the poo poo out of him. It'd be like Billy Batts telling you to Go Get Your Shinebox.

A Trump-Christie confrontation is all I really want out of this election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I wish the US had an intelligent, charismatic right-wing blowhard like Boris Johnson.

...but not that charismatic :godwin:

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Joementum posted:

Trump Place, Manhattan: you're fired!

Is he going to blame Mexicans for this?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

You will never be president

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Alter Ego posted:

Honest to God, I've thought about it, and what the gently caress does Chris Christie think he brings to the table that none of the other clownshows already in the race bring? Trump's in, so the role of "idiot blowhard" is even taken. What's Christie's niche?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of8kY_IbYq4

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Is Perry gaining weight too? Huckabee's going to lose the fatty vote between him and Christie

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Why do people believe that the USA is something special in gods eyes? I don't really understand it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

FireSight posted:

Why do people believe that the USA is something special in gods eyes? I don't really understand it.

Because we're the only known country in the history of the world to have a democratic election during a Civil War.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
With Christie in, how close are we to having so many candidates that determining the top 10 for the debates is absolutely comical? Sorry, Jindal, but the cut off is 1.3%. Better luck next time.

I love how the field just keeps getting me more and more hyped for the GOP debates. Trump vs. Christie vs. everyone. Who can back away from Trump's racist declarations the quickest without loosing primary votes? Will anyone manage to make it out without declaring the Supreme Court traitors and Gay Marriage the most horrible, ickiest, vilest thing ever? Now that the audience has cheered executions and the death of the sick, how will they top themselves?

Also please position Scott Walker between the two most telegenic people on the stage.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FireSight posted:

I don't think "[country] is actually pretty terrible" is going to win you a lot of elections anywhere.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FireSight posted:

For Mormons, it's literally part of their scripture. For everyone else, it was part of the rise of the outspoken Christian movement during the Cold War in response to the Soviet Union's perceived atheism.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

FireSight posted:

Largest and strongest economy of the world. Largest /best trained military. Lots of reasons really. When the kurds were about to be wiped out by ISIS who stopped them? The USA.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Cythereal posted:

For Mormons, it's literally part of their scripture. For everyone else, it was part of the rise of the outspoken Christian movement during the Cold War in response to the Soviet Union's perceived atheism.

That sort of language dates back to the 18th century.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The Roman Empire also had a special place.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Gyges posted:

Also please position Scott Walker between the two most telegenic people on the stage.

I guess Perry is soap-opera-handsome, but who would the second person be?

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

I don't think "[country] is actually pretty terrible" is going to win you a lot of elections anywhere.

It probably should though. A refreshingly honest and candid self-assessment would be great. You just need to make sure to run down other countries at the end. "...no matter how terrible we are, we're still better than everybody else. Thank you and goodnight." In the case of the US it has the advantage of being true.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Joementum posted:

Trump Place, Manhattan: you're fired!

Watch Donald start a loving war.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Peztopiary posted:

It probably should though. A refreshingly honest and candid self-assessment would be great. You just need to make sure to run down other countries at the end. "...no matter how terrible we are, we're still better than everybody else. Thank you and goodnight." In the case of the US it has the advantage of being true.

honesty and politics dont really mix very well

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Peztopiary posted:

It shouldn't though, because it can only ever appeal to a minority of the population

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FireSight posted:

They saw that part of the David Bowie video with all the people marching saying "God is an American" and instead of being afraid, they said "Hell yeah!"

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Kevyn posted:

Watch Donald start a loving war.

This will be Donald Trump's burning of the Reichstag.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Maybe Christie knows he's doomed. Maybe he has a plan. Maybe his plan is to tell it like it is. Maybe he'll lay out the hypocritical positions of both parties. Maybe he'll attach extreme positions like the religious right and wall street. Maybe Chris Christie knows that he's dying politically, and his last gasp will be to throw a wrench in the whole system.

Maybe Christie will, in the process of bringing down the establishment, become the new demagogue of America.

Sanders/Christie 2016.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Maybe Christie knows he's doomed. Maybe he has a plan.

He's term limited out of his current office

Boner Pill Connoisseur
Apr 23, 2002

I took the blue pill.

FireSight posted:

quote:

Wee shall finde that the God of Israell is among us, when ten of us shall be able to resist a thousand of our enemies; when hee shall make us a prayse and glory that men shall say of succeeding plantations, "the Lord make it likely that of New England." For wee must consider that wee shall be as a citty upon a hill. The eies of all people are uppon us. Soe that if wee shall deale falsely with our God in this worke wee haue undertaken, and soe cause him to withdrawe his present help from us, wee shall be made a story and a by-word through the world. Wee shall open the mouthes of enemies to speake evill of the wayes of God, and all professors for God's sake. Wee shall shame the faces of many of God's worthy servants, and cause theire prayers to be turned into curses upon us till wee be consumed out of the good land whither wee are a goeing.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

FireSight posted:

American Exceptionalism in a religious sense I'd guess dates back to the country's founding, but as far as I know, it became a big deal as the country expanded West across North America, since a lot of the perception was good Christian pioneers versus Godless heathens. At least I remember a divine mandate being a big political justification of US expansion from history classes. I mean, I'm sure it's a very complex issue historically to try and dig in to, but I'd say the modern concept probably stems from the old school divine mandate justification, the Civil War, the hegemony shift leaving us at the top of the pile after WWII, and playing up the religious differences between the US and the USSR in Cold War propaganda.

I think Americans, myself included, are indoctrinated to think that America is a nation founded on moral grounds, and some look at those morals as Christian. They'd be largely incorrect, but that's not the point.

Edit: quoted the wrong post

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I hope presidential candidates pick this up as a plan

James Dobson and National Organization of Marriage have called for

A Constitutional Convention

quote:

I believe it is time for this nation to hold State Constitutional Conventions, which would allow certain provisions within the Constitution to be reaffirmed. Among these possibilities would be a provision to set term limits on judges and justices. Another clause would limit the scope of their power. Unelected, unaccountable judges would no longer override the other two co-equal branches of government. Finally, language would be inserted to restore what Abraham Lincoln referred to in his Gettysburg Address as government “of the people, by the people, and for the people.” Wouldn’t that be a novel idea in the 21st century?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Didn't Ted Cruz already call for that?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

bobtheconqueror posted:

Didn't Ted Cruz already call for that?

It's an idea that entered the conservative sphere through a book written by Mark Levin a couple years back. He's been pushing it ever since and lots of conservatives are starting to latch onto the idea.

Overall it's not a bad plan considering their position. They've had much better luck with state elections where money gets bigger returns. If they ever could control enough state houses to pull it off then it would be a disaster for the country

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

It's an idea that entered the conservative sphere through a book written by Mark Levin a couple years back. He's been pushing it ever since and lots of conservatives are starting to latch onto the idea.

Overall it's not a bad plan considering their position. They've had much better luck with state elections where money gets bigger returns. If they ever could control enough state houses to pull it off then it would be a disaster for the country

An article 5 convention is the stupidest thing they could do. If thirteen states vote no on whatever such a convention produces its gonna blow up in their faces big time.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Peztopiary posted:

I have some bad news for you, Jimmy Carter circa 1979.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I don't think any of the GOP contenders expected there to be this many players on the field. But if you (I'm referring to Christie specifically but it could be almost any of them) have spent the last several years building hype, courting donors and accepting checks - you can't let a little thing like having no chance of winning cause you to back out. No one's gonna go and start returning checks, and dumping your war chest on another candidate is like a slap in the face to your donors. I think almost everyone in the field, 2 years ago genuinely thought they had a very good chance of winning the nomination, and at the time they were right.

Trump must know he has no chance of winning and is running for...other reasons. Christie, Jindal, Huckabee, Fiorinia, Graham, Pataki and Perry probably are jockeying for a veep or cabinet slot. Cruz and Paul probably think they have a chance and have enough of a base to come in a respectable 3rd or 4th. Carson - who knows? That leaves us with our real candidates - Rubio, Bush and Walker.

Boner Pill Connoisseur
Apr 23, 2002

I took the blue pill.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

*intends to eradicated gay marriage*

*accidentally allows tea party to debate the 15th*

Edit - read it again and revelling in the absolute CHEEKINESS of Dobson to quote MLK in opposition to this ruling.

Boner Pill Connoisseur fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 27, 2015

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
From 1972:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Thought Huckabee was fat.

Bicyclops posted:

They're different kinds of idiot blowhards. Trump bangs his silver spoon on the table and shouts racist slurs and says "I started many a successful business, you jelly?" whereas Christie has more of an incompetent mob boss thing for him.

Yeah, but if they both make it onto the debate stage, the combined amount of hot air could cause the venue to go critical :ohdear:

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 27, 2015

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Mordiceius posted:

From 1972:

That's a great find, and one that can be used to summarize the primary so far:

Bernie: "Abolish all laws dealing with [i.e. prohibiting] abortion."

Hillary campaign supporter/surrogate: Bernie hates women because he doesn't want to regulate abortion providers. Also he hates immigrants and minorities, since he didn't mention them at all.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Nastier Nate posted:

Trump must know he has no chance of winning and is running for...other reasons. Christie, Jindal, Huckabee, Fiorinia, Graham, Pataki and Perry probably are jockeying for a veep or cabinet slot. Cruz and Paul probably think they have a chance and have enough of a base to come in a respectable 3rd or 4th. Carson - who knows? That leaves us with our real candidates - Rubio, Bush and Walker.

You misunderstand, Graham is only in this to throw poo poo at Paul. With a side quest of throwing poo poo at Cruz should he have time. He's under no illusion that he will either win or be anyone's VP.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
This article summarizes well my feelings about Hilary Clinton. She is awful and it is appaling that she of all people would use the rainbow in her logo. She is not and never has been my ally.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/06/hillary-clintons-gay-marriage-problem/372717/

from the article
"The Defense of Marriage Act was a federal law, signed by Bill Clinton, that barred same-sex couples from being recognized as married partners. Hillary Clinton said during her Senate run in 2000 that she would have signed the law, and as late as 2003 she was not willing to reverse her position, saying through a spokesperson only that she was in the process of "evolving" on it. "

She also was opposed to gay marriage in 2008 when she also ran for president.

I am utterly disgusted with her. I would like to see a woman for president but that woman is not Hilary Clinton. I'm going for Bernie Sanders or Jill Stein, not another beltway establishment hypocrite who tries to alter history.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Feather posted:

That's a great find, and one that can be used to summarize the primary so far:

Bernie: "Abolish all laws dealing with [i.e. prohibiting] abortion."

Hillary campaign supporter/surrogate: Bernie hates women because he doesn't want to regulate abortion providers. Also he hates immigrants and minorities, since he didn't mention them at all.

Judging by how far to the left Hillary has 'evolved' in the past 15 years, I'm assuming she was an intern for the Wallace campaign while Sanders was writing that.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

I could see Graham angling for Secretary of State/Defense, since his focus is mostly foreign policy/blood for the blood god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I could see Graham angling for Secretary of State/Defense, since his focus is mostly foreign policy/blood for the blood god.

Yeah but who's gonna give it to him? Bush has his family's cronies to reward, Cruz and Paul hate him and Trump is just going to put Gary Busey and Dennis Rodman in every cabinet position .

• Locked thread