Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Popular Thug Drink posted:

so the feminists want to murder you because they are racists
Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Literally The Worst posted:

Dogg you presented two tweets about harassment from a presumably much longer string of them in an attempt to disprove my assertion that GG is guilty of the same "censorship" they accuse the evil feminists of

Excuse me for not falling all over myself to beg forgiveness for my wildly incorrect thoughts

I guess it all stemmed from this:

http://t.co/I5AQDYncLT

Someone was annoyed at a shirt that was made? Possibly? I have no idea what the shirt said, but I'm sure it was pogrom inspiring material.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

just you, or all persons of color?

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

No they actually want feminism out of games. That was a thing from fairly early on, along with the whole "objective reviews don't bring your politics into it" bullshit

The argument is more that they don't want games to be graded based on how leftist they are,. Witcher 3 is great but has no black people and shows bad things happening to women ? How problematic, this is a super important thing I must bring up in my review for everyone to care about.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

just you, or all persons of color?
All. And don't loving call us "of color"

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Totalizator posted:

GG mostly wants to be able to disagree with these critics without being dragged back and forth through mud and pig poo poo how disagreement = harassment. If they stopped doing that gamergate would die within a month but they can't seem to stop.

That gg reddit had a "support 8chan" banner at the top. Is 8chan a good place for me to go to learn more about gg positions?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Totalizator posted:

The argument is more that they don't want games to be graded based on how leftist they are,. Witcher 3 is great but has no black people and shows bad things happening to women ? How problematic, this is a super important thing I must bring up in my review for everyone to care about.

So, they want you to keep your politics out of their games. They're all for free speech, just don't say things they disagree with, like expressing your actual opinions about a game

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8lCWUxjpxU
My good friend madeupfried was murdered by an FBI agent the day after posting this video. They thought he was a gamergater. Please, game responsibly.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Nanomashoes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8lCWUxjpxU
My good friend madeupfried was murdered by an FBI agent the day after posting this video. They thought he was a gamergater. Please, game responsibly.
It's all in the numbers.

#1. That's patriarchy.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

circ dick soleil posted:

I know, it's really dumb and this is something that I was much more willing to talk about before Gamergate. Gamergate is a movement that's motivated by hate and causes more ethical problems than it solves. Now I don't want to talk about stuff like this because I don't want to agree with them or give them a soapbox. Some retard bitch gave GTAV a 7/10 which I thought was really unfair, not because the game doesn't deserve a 7/10 but because that one review alone put it below GTAIV on metacritic, which everyone knows is hosed up and wrong because GTAV was better than GTAIV. All this because one rear end in a top hat wanted to be a contrarian hipster too cool for mainstream. Also there were people pretending to be offended because it doesn't have a female protagonist, and they were all men which is weird too. Now whenever I talk about this stuff I'm haunted by the mental images of David Aurini clutching a toy skull and grinning at me as he mouths the words "this is what a patriarch looks like". It's all so hosed up beyond belief.

I've heard people, in real life, complain about too many lovely indie games in the Steam greenlight because they didn't want to have to look at them. One of them even said that Binding of Isaac was better than Binding of Isaac Rebirth because Rebirth was "pixelshit". Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :smithicide:

That's the sad thing really. It is hard to discuss these issues now without someone going: 'Oh, you are GG? Blocked!' Ironically, it serves as a way for journalists and others to shut down the conversation by aligning you with that group of people. Then they can safely ignore you and do what they are doing.

Its one of the more inadvertent things that has happened. That's pretty crazy, because yeah, GTA V was most definitely better than IV. And I hate to say that this isn’t all uncommon, especially on certain major review sites (Polygon and Kotaku most notably). The contrarian view is basically like that film critic who panned '12 Years a Slave' but said 'Norbit' was amazing. Polygon is especially guilty of the contrarian hipster poo poo. One of their 'Tropico' reviews had the reviewer feel so guilty that he literally had blood on his hands. I mean, what the gently caress? What is someone going to get out of that? And not to mention their Rockband 4 ‘preview’, which was a huge douchebag complaining he was at a five star hotel drinking expensive booze and eating gourmet food. While lamenting he’d rather talk about politics in the Philippines than do the loving job he was sent there to do.
The Polygon review of Bayonetta 2 which basically was praising the game but then lowered the score because he objected to the portrayal of the character. Which again, lowered the Metacritic score. Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

However, there’s been a large pushback against this because people don’t read game reviews to see if the reviewer found the content objectionable or ‘problematic’. People can judge for themselves what they do and do not object to and whether or not they want to support it. Of course, I am not saying games shouldn’t be critically analyzed. But that is for essays and editorials, not the review itself. Reviews should function as a consumer guide. People want to know if the game has good gameplay, if it is buggy as poo poo, if it is innovative and does the things that were promised, etc.

There's not too many lovely games in Steam Greenlight, there's too many lovely unity asset games and gamemaker games in Greenlight. And seriously, he's talking about Issac as pixelcrap? Oh man. That's pretty awful, since Issac is amazing. I really need to pick up Rebirth. Also, the guy who made it, Ed McMillian, has never won any Indy awards because he hates the clique. I remember watching a stream with him and his wife that said if he was invited, he’d probably take a poo poo over all of them. It isn’t hard to imagine why, as he was told by Phil Fish flatly told him he wasn’t going to win the IGDF because ‘Don’t worry, you don’t need it’. This was around the time Super Meat Boy was released and I think Fez was still in development.

Cardboard Box A posted:

I mean we can dress this up as "disagreeing with ideas" like it's an intellectual treatise the reviewer disagreed with the premise of, something like having the resident red diaper baby review Capitalism 2 or whatnot, but sometimes games just aren't going to appeal to everyone for very understandable reasons, and you can't always find your very own Dark_Titzmine.

Or I guess we could say "oh now we're giving all games with breasts lower scores now" and wring our hands over the bonuses being unjustly denied to the Obsidian of Action Games (ok that's pretty accurate actually) by a single metacritic point?

But as you correctly point out the cause of said issue is the contracts developers sign with publishers in the first place so the only reason these people get mad and go after the website itself is because... it's easier to vent their anger on the easily accessible comments section on the review itself rather than impotently rage at the giant multinational videogame publisher I guess? Going after the "easy" target rather than the "real" target appears to be a recurring theme.

That’s the issue, honestly. I wouldn’t give two shits about some hipster’s opinion that ‘The Witcher 3’ is racist without understanding that it’s basically a cultural export from Poland. But when it lowers scores and money is attached to those scores, it is a huge problem. The problem isn’t his opinion or that I disagree with it, the problem is that money should absolutely not be tied to what basically amounts to an arbitrary score.

Indeed. It is easy to shout on the comments section of a review you disagree with than change the fundamental issue at hand. Or even identify the issue. Its not seeing the forest for the trees. Which is that Metacritic is garbage and should not be used by publishers to gauge anything, because you simply can’t lump all reviews together. Not all reviews are ubiquitous.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Al Cowens posted:

He can say it because I said it's alright.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I was wondering what happened to this thread. Any hilariously dumb things happen?

Also do I have to effort post in this thread since it's not in GBS anymore?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Al Cowens posted:

why do you think white feminists are racist and want to murder all persons of color? that sounds a bit extreme to me

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
AGG aspires to censorship, but thus far has been really really bad at achieving it. This speaks well of society's health on this detail, at least.

No, AGG's problem- which Al Cowens attempted to demonstrate- is they really don't understand the difference between disagreement and harassment because in their heads harassment is 'whatever makes them feel bad'.

Disagreement, uncomplimentary facts- these things often qualify. This is exacerbated by their use of Twitter's hilariously stupid blocking system which gives people a power high by not only allowing them to plug their ears as with traditional ignores but allowing them- very superficially- to 'prevent' people from seeing their tweets. (You don't deserve to look upon my marvelous words!)

Between that and the blockbot they can very easily put themselves in a bubble and thus find themselves all the more jarred when it pops now and again. Said bubble, especially with the blockbot, also makes them wonderfully manipulable by the people who profit from their ignorant and hamfisted efforts to be the 'good guys' by further limiting their exposure to anything or anyone who might lead them to ask inconvenient questions.

E: And yes, this is probably true of any number of GG proponents as well, but they seem to crow an awful lot less about how great their blockbot that chooses what they get to see is. If they even have one.

The Snark fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 27, 2015

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

why do you think white feminists are racist and want to murder all persons of color? that sounds a bit extreme to me
We've been over this.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

So, they want you to keep your politics out of their games. They're all for free speech, just don't say things they disagree with, like expressing your actual opinions about a game

I don't think video games should be graded based on how much they adhere to the reviewers political beliefs. Especially if almost all game reviewers have similar standards, games would then be made to pander to these reviewers sensibilities to get higher scores. Gamers sensibilities meanwhile had no say in this because they had no representation and their voice is dismissed as misoginystic neckbeards.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Totalizator posted:

this seems like a strange and unrealistic thing to be worried about. i highly doubt that SJWs will pass legislation strictly regulating gaming media in the first world

Totalizator posted:

I don't think video games should be graded based on how much they adhere to the reviewers political beliefs. Especially if almost all game reviewers have similar standards, games would then be made to pander to these reviewers sensibilities to get higher scores. Gamers sensibilities meanwhile had no say in this because they had no representation and their voice is dismissed as misoginystic neckbeards.

so then don't read those reviews. i don't understand why this bothers you so much.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Dapper Dan posted:

That’s the issue, honestly. I wouldn’t give two shits about some hipster’s opinion that ‘The Witcher 3’ is racist without understanding that it’s basically a cultural export from Poland. But when it lowers scores and money is attached to those scores, it is a huge problem. The problem isn’t his opinion or that I disagree with it, the problem is that money should absolutely not be tied to what basically amounts to an arbitrary score.

And here you have a good summary of GG. Concerns about advertising turning into criticism.

e:

this seems like a strange and unrealistic thing to be worried about. i highly doubt that SJWs will pass legislation strictly regulating gaming media in the first world

so then don't read those reviews. i don't understand why this bothers you so much.

As Dapper Dan has said, the real problem is that if critics spoke their (truthful) opinions, there's less money to be made.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 27, 2015

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Totalizator posted:

The word you're missing here is "slander"

Sorry pal, you can't get it both ways. Slander protection and absolute freedom of speech are inherently incompatible.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

It's only because there's brave soldiers out there, fighting the good fight, to make sure that women know their place.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It's about ethics in video game boy-centric advertising.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Al Cowens posted:

We've been over this.

we actually haven't, you believe that white feminsts are trying to murder you and billions of other people but you're reluctant to explain why

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

I don't, I'm trying to convey to you why people who care about it are upset.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Totalizator posted:

You realize of course that this is asinine because whether they write it or not their enjoyment of a thing will be influenced by their personal beliefs and the only way to not do that is to "review" games as just a list of statistics stating how much of the game was cutscenes and how much non cutscene had voice over and poo poo

And again: they're all for free speech they shouldn't be censored. Oh you said a thing about a game being bad? Stop bringing your politics into it. You can't say that.

It's double standard bullshit

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

we actually haven't, you believe that white feminsts are trying to murder you and billions of other people but you're reluctant to explain why

Citation needed. This doesn't sound like the Al Cowens I know.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Totalizator posted:

either you're doing a poor job or what they're upset about is completely nonsensical

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Sorry pal, you can't get it both ways. Slander protection and absolute freedom of speech are inherently incompatible.

Slander deserves to be called out and exposed, no conflict with freedom of speech there. GG speaks out against gaming media that slanders gamers, I have no problem with this.

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot
al cowens is racist

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Totalizator posted:

I haven't read all this thread but is this the first "Someone cares" argument, or have there been others? They're always good fun.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

either you're doing a poor job or what they're upset about is completely nonsensical

It's the latter. Like I said I'm just here to watch tumblr burn.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

good to see nothing has really changed since the move

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Cowman posted:

good to see nothing has really changed since the move
I'm a cow. A transcow.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Totalizator posted:

Slander deserves to be called out and exposed, no conflict with freedom of speech there. GG speaks out against gaming media that slanders gamers, I have no problem with this.

it's not slander. slander is when you spread rumors that actively harm a person's life. pointing out that gamers are manchildren obsessed with shadowy conspiracies is not a false statement, it is a true statement, and it doesn't ruin anyone

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Al Cowens posted:

I'm a cow. A transcow.

moo

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Totalizator posted:

Well you would say that, being a notorious dogfucker.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

What do you think makes the game industry and game journalism bad?
Can't say anything about game journalism, but the game industry is bad because it's an industry. Welcome to capitalism.

Gaming, as an identity, is bad because, as I think Literally The Worst has pointed out, you're self-identifying as a consumer of certain things. In this case, exceptionally bad things. Video games are terrible.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Totalizator posted:

It's the latter. Like I said I'm just here to watch tumblr burn.

There will never be a magical moment where "those people" will "get what's coming to them".

e:

Cingulate posted:

Can't say anything about game journalism, but the game industry is bad because it's an industry. Welcome to capitalism.

Gaming, as an identity, is bad because, as I think Literally The Worst has pointed out, you're self-identifying as a consumer of certain things. In this case, exceptionally bad things. Video games are terrible.

This is corruption, specifically of the moral sort. We're not actually disagreeing.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 27, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

There will never be a magical moment where "those people" will "get what's coming to them".

well the nice thing about having completely imaginary enemies is that you get to decide when they're in decline and retreating, the narrative and climax are entirely under your control

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

e:

This is corruption, specifically of the moral sort. We're not actually disagreeing.

Idk. the GOP got theirs pretty badly this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

it's not slander. slander is when you spread rumors that actively harm a person's life. pointing out that gamers are manchildren obsessed with shadowy conspiracies is not a false statement, it is a true statement, and it doesn't ruin anyone

You could say that gamergate has proven what we've known all along, that gamers should be shamed and bullied into submission.

• Locked thread