Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

and they should especially do tam tara hard for the creep factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Lt. Mittens without any mittens is problematic IMHO.

Lt Mittens needs to be a potato imo.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Verranicus posted:

Had a guy who tied a macro to his drawing a card on AST every. single. time. Not pictured is me being told to deal with it by the entire party after telling him it was a bit much.

This isn't tied since each draw is counted as its own ability, he has to have a button for each one. :psyduck:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Did anyone get their RAF feathers yet?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

fadam posted:

Did anyone get their RAF feathers yet?

I got 10 silver ones a few days ago which confused me because I recruited someone else and I thought that means I got golden ones :iiam:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Kitfox88 posted:

Lt Mittens needs to be a potato imo.

As long as I'm wearing mittens I can be whoever I want and still be true to the mittens name.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

I got 10 silver ones a few days ago which confused me because I recruited someone else and I thought that means I got golden ones :iiam:

That was part of the whole if you came back recently we'll give you some gear to help you catch up promotion.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I finally hit 60 on my PLD the other day! I'm still getting used to my new abilities, though, since my level 50 abilities are so ingrained in my mind. When should I be using them?

Also, what should I prioritize spending my tomestones of law on? I already have the sword and shield. Should I start working on upgrading my right side gear?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Emalde posted:

This isn't tied since each draw is counted as its own ability, he has to have a button for each one. :psyduck:

Whyyyy.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Rincewind posted:

I finally hit 60 on my PLD the other day! I'm still getting used to my new abilities, though, since my level 50 abilities are so ingrained in my mind. When should I be using them?

Also, what should I prioritize spending my tomestones of law on? I already have the sword and shield. Should I start working on upgrading my right side gear?

Probably whatever is your lowest ilv. And the priority is keep the dot and str debuff up and use royal when you don't have to do the other two. If you are behind on threat keep with rage of halone since royal doesn't have enmity attached to it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

To be fair, AST buffs are hard to notice in the middle of battle if you're not used to them.

Unless you see the gloriousness of the blue Ewer then you just reflexively go ham on Dark Arts.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

What are the acc caps for Ravana EX? Someone was saying it's around 600 but that's gonna be a bit of a struggle since none of the WAR axes post-60 have acc on them

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Rincewind posted:

Generally you want to upgrade weapon > ledt-side gear > right-side gear. The exception is if you're trying hit a specific acc cap first, or if you're waiting on drops.

Since the only relevant fight is Ravana right now, you want to aim for ~600 acc. If you don't plan on doing Rav Ex soon, just upgrade in whatever order.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Rincewind posted:

I generally do big budget items first since that's the worst part of the grind

e: beaten by sitting at post screen, woops

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
All I want is for July to roll around and to find out that the person I recruited a year back has stayed subbed so I can fly through the air on a boss I never beat.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Rafzakael posted:

I generally do big budget items first since that's the worst part of the grind

e: beaten by sitting at post screen, woops

Same. Also for the extra vit which is underrated value.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
For tanks, you'll want left side first, especially if it's a large ilvl increase. You get physical and magic defense, vitality and strength all at the same time which are the god tier stats for your role.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.
Question, because the Wiki's and other sources I've looked at arent helping:

Where and how do I spend tomes? Each wiki says to hit up Auriana, but she only seems interested in telling me the lore of different currencies and crafters. Did HW change something, or is there some NPC I must talk with before? Please feel free to make fun of my ignorance in replies.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
My miner and botanist are sitting at single digit levels, and whenever I think about leveling one of them up I remember slaving away at the horribly tedious grind on launch and still not making it past 20. Is there a more effective/less "I want to kill myself" way to level those? I want to see what endgame gathering is like.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

My miner and botanist are sitting at single digit levels, and whenever I think about leveling one of them up I remember slaving away at the horribly tedious grind on launch and still not making it past 20. Is there a more effective/less "I want to kill myself" way to level those? I want to see what endgame gathering is like.

I don't know if the situation has changed since the expansion, but below level 50 the easiest way to level non-fishing gathering classes was via levequests. Keep yourself in at-level HQ gear and go for harder levequests and you'll get lots of exp quick. Use your GC Exp boost scrolls too, I'm practically drowning in GC seals after hitting level 60.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I want to see what endgame gathering is like.

Waiting for the Unspoiled Node you need to pop, start mining/botanying, realize you forgot to drink a Cordial first, leave the node, realize that leaving the node makes it disappear. It's fun.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Wait, cordials adds more GP on top of the total? I thought it just replenished some of it.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Vadoc posted:

Wait, cordials adds more GP on top of the total? I thought it just replenished some of it.

Yeah, but I always find myself a little GP short of what I need when it's time to start harvesting. :v:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Line Feed posted:

Waiting for the Unspoiled Node you need to pop, start mining/botanying, realize you forgot to drink a Cordial first, leave the node, realize that leaving the node makes it disappear. It's fun.

Also the Unspoiled Nodes in the Churning Mists seem to vanish after less than an ingame hour.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Also the Unspoiled Nodes in the Churning Mists seem to vanish after less than an ingame hour.

All the new ones do, 12 hour cycle 55 minute timer (Eorzean time)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Far as sidequesting for XP goes, should I clear old old zones or new ones first? I just hit the level 58 cockblock (WOW there was not a lot of MSQ there), and have only done the quests in the Forelands so far.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Ciaphas posted:

Far as sidequesting for XP goes, should I clear old old zones or new ones first? I just hit the level 58 cockblock (WOW there was not a lot of MSQ there), and have only done the quests in the Forelands so far.

The higher level quests are obviously better xp, but its not a bad idea at all to go back and make sure you do the sidequests that reward aether currents in previous zones if you haven't already unlocked flying there.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There's no reason to pick up the expansion until you finish the main story right? Every thing is gated by going to the expansion zones?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There's no reason to pick up the expansion until you finish the main story right? Every thing is gated by going to the expansion zones?

Unless you want to fantasia to an Au Ra, that's correct.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

abraham linksys posted:

Oh god I just finished up the Aery after grinding up to Level 55 using sidequests in the Mists and... now I have to do a bunch more loving sidequests here to hit level 56? :negative:

at least I might be able to fly, christ

Are people ignoring Roulettes or what? I hit 60 during early access and only getting to 59 had any noticeable grind since I hit low/trial roulette each day and HLDR once before I realized the XP from it was poo poo and worse than just hitting FATEs while questing. Unless you know you'll hit 60 today the first thing people leveling should do is a trial roulette because it's 5 minutes for a big chunk of XP.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I was thinking of trying out FF14 for a while and now everyone seems all up on the expansion so I might just give it a go. One question before I take a dive in however is should I get the expansion as well as the base game? Does it have anything to offer someone starting out?

*ed*

Oh seemingly answered a few posts above me then.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Evil Canadian posted:

I was thinking of trying out FF14 for a while and now everyone seems all up on the expansion so I might just give it a go. One question before I take a dive in however is should I get the expansion as well as the base game? Does it have anything to offer someone starting out?

HW gives you nothing except the ability to be a dragon girl/boy until you finish the 2.55 story quests.

Also if you're just starting out, make sure to check out the RAF codes in the OP cause both you and your referrer will get free stuff.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Are people ignoring Roulettes or what? I hit 60 during early access and only getting to 59 had any noticeable grind since I hit low/trial roulette each day and HLDR once before I realized the XP from it was poo poo and worse than just hitting FATEs while questing. Unless you know you'll hit 60 today the first thing people leveling should do is a trial roulette because it's 5 minutes for a big chunk of XP.

Until you spend 15 minutes fighting Ravana because 3 dps fall off the edge :shepface:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Minrad posted:

Until you spend 15 minutes fighting Ravana because 3 dps fall off the edge :shepface:

There are a lot of landmines in the trial roulette. It's all about whether you want to gamble with your time or not.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I don't think anyone said they were never gonna do it, just that there isn't a whole lot of point to doing it before 60 because they'd rather be leveling up. Just let people play the game the way they want to, and at 60 when they have the time to spare and aren't itching to finish the MSQ they can go back and do it.

The imperative form was used for emphasis; that from the perspective of someone who has unlocked high level roulette on two characters within the last month, it's really worth doing even if it doesn't seem like it, not an attempt to force people to do anything, as that would be silly.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Evil Fluffy posted:

Maybe I'm just expecting too much, I don't know. I just ran out of story quests at level 56 with another two million XP to go, and only a handful of new side quests available in the city. I've got some old level 53 quests I never did in the Forelands, but that seems like a giant waste of time.

I only got like 100k XP from the trial roulette, as far as I could tell, and I guess I can still do low level today. I was just hoping to get to see more new stuff soon :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

bonewitch posted:

The higher level quests are obviously better xp, but its not a bad idea at all to go back and make sure you do the sidequests that reward aether currents in previous zones if you haven't already unlocked flying there.

Oh yeah, I did everything necessary for flight in every zone. I actually rather like the exploration aspect :shobon:. I'm not just sure how I want to go about the 58->59 slog is all, my trials are done for the day and I want to get it today so I can be 60 tomorrow.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I hope goldsmiths and miners get their act together soon on Ultros, it's a pain in the rear end not being able to buy goblin jigs or (especially) bladed steel jigs.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Ciaphas posted:

Oh yeah, I did everything necessary for flight in every zone. I actually rather like the exploration aspect :shobon:. I'm not just sure how I want to go about the 58->59 slog is all, my trials are done for the day and I want to get it today so I can be 60 tomorrow.

57 -> 59 was really awful for the few people I knew who were ahead of me, so while this is obviously too late for me, this is my advice for anyone hitting the level range:

Just queue for the 57 Story dungeon as many times as you can tolerate. It gives so much chain EXP that you're much better off spamming it at 57 and then continuing the story at 58.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Boten Anna posted:

The imperative form was used for emphasis; that from the perspective of someone who has unlocked high level roulette on two characters within the last month, it's really worth doing even if it doesn't seem like it, not an attempt to force people to do anything, as that would be silly.

If you're gonna use the verb form for giving commands to people don't be surprised if they think you're giving them commands.

• Locked thread