Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

Don't watch Allen Gregory no matter what happens.

I kind of want to an Allen Gregory retrospective just so others can know how awful it is without having to watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Pick posted:

Truer words were never spoken.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I kind of want to an Allen Gregory retrospective just so others can know how awful it is without having to watch it.

We should have the guy who did the Killing season 1 but nobody deserves that much abuse

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

tarlibone posted:

Seems like there were a few animated shows related to the White House that would make such a statement a very bad idea. What were they... I think one was called That's My Bush or something, and there was one for Clinton's cat, I think? Just... just awful.

There was Capitol Critters in the Clinton Era:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Fo4Nu4McDw

It starred Dougie Howser and was terrible.

And for something good with Roiland and Harmon, you all know about Mr. Sprinkles, right?

https://vimeo.com/62232896

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

It's always fun to read withering takedowns of poo poo as bad as Allen Gregory.

But don't do it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I was part of the Allen Gregory trainwreck team and I even then I watched like two episodes and loving gave up. Also, fun fact, it concludes with implied rape.

reviewer posted:

They also said he was being raised by two gay fathers. He’s not; he’s being raised by one gay sexual predator and his victim. Every female character is belittled. The only decent parent, Jeremy, is belittled. Bullying and sexual predation are played as good clean fun. And if you’re going to make an AIDS joke, then by God it had better be a funny AIDS joke.

another reviewer posted:

If Allen makes caring superfluous, it's because the show is less a sitcom than an intellectual exercise. Plot and character mean nothing. We're simply supposed to be impressed by its outrageousness and rave over its willingness to "go there" — no matter how idiotic "there" is

reviewer posted:

Allen Gregory, his new show, destroys any and all credibility he had left. There is no coming back from it. It is forever going to be one of the darkest, most hate filled marks on television history. Years from now, television audiences will look back nostalgically and say “Remember Allen Gregory? Man that was terrible.” And then they’ll laugh at how miserable Jonah Hill became after Allen Gregory failed and disappeared.

Pick fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 28, 2015

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Here's my recomendation: Watch Major Lazor.

It's funny, beautifully animated, and has great music. Start with the most recent episode "Throwback Thursday" because even though I like the first episode I feel it's a little weaker than some of the others they've done.

Major Lazer loving owns

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Babe Magnet posted:

Major Lazer loving owns

The guy who daggers girls pon de floor?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Major Lazer is actually like 3 people, those were just dudes in the video. But yes.

They have a cartoon and it rules. J.K. Simmons loving kills every time his character pops up.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

the_american_dream posted:

Yea I wanna say Lil Bush was from the South Park creators too

That's My Bush was from the trey Parker and Matt stone (South Park)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Jonas Albrecht posted:

But don't do it.

We'll see.

Babe Magnet posted:

Major Lazer is actually like 3 people, those were just dudes in the video. But yes.

They have a cartoon and it rules. J.K. Simmons loving kills every time his character pops up.

Agreed, he reminds me a lot of the James Woods version of Hades.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

Do not get me started on that pile of poo poo. I'd call it an abortion, but abortions are infinitely funnier.

When you create a horrible character like Allen Gregory, then you have to do something to get the audience on board. It's Always Funny in Philadelphia does this by having these terrible human beings do terrible things all the time, often at the expense of good people... but at the end of the episode, they get their comeuppance, and often an extra helping of punishment in some form or other. You can laugh at them because you just know that they will pay for their misdeeds.

Jonah Hill's comments were insulting. At one point, he called it "punk rock." And Executive Producer David Goodman's attempt at being sarcastic and funny in a FAQ didn't have the desired effect.

Or maybe it did. Looking back, it seems like that show was created just so that it'd tank horribly.

That's it! They The Producersed us!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'll never forgive Allen Gregory for making it's most awful character look like Jim Rash.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'll never forgive Allen Gregory for making it's most awful character look like Jim Rash.

French Stewart was also definitely trying to sound like Jim Rash.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
It's like French Stewart asked what his motivation was before recording his first line, and they said, "You're the Dean from Community. Go!"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Nothing from that show was funny even on paper. And it was ugly as hell. And it completely failed in execution. Really there was not a single moment that made it seem like it could be okay.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

Nothing from that show was funny even on paper. And it was ugly as hell. And it completely failed in execution. Really there was not a single moment that made it seem like it could be okay.

The theme song was good: https://vimeo.com/32712389

I feel kind of sad that these genuinely good 23 seconds of music are forever tied to an unwatchable show.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

The theme song was good: https://vimeo.com/32712389

I feel kind of sad that these genuinely good 23 seconds of music are forever tied to an unwatchable show.

... and I bet you $2 that the producers absolutely hated that song, but they used it because the song Jonah Hill recorded for it was still in post production. Which is just as well, because it was probably just a bunch of auto-tuned samples of him snorting lines of cocaine.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Pick posted:

This is honestly the most baffling show I've ever seen that I could not understand how anyone, anywhere, could like it. And I have no idea why it was fast tracked or produced or greenlighted or rubber stamped. I don't understand how a single human being had the ability to veto this and they did not do that immediately. Jonah Hill's voice is the worst part about him. If you don't see a fat guy getting worked up there is no humor there. It's just an annoying kvetchy dry horrible noise. Lets make that horrible noise come out of a snotty rich kid who thinks he's better than everyone and is proven right (I assume) every episode.

If we went full on 1984 and having a giant Jewish face for the five minute hate isn't socially acceptable they could show five minutes of this cartoon and it would induce in real life humanity all naturally what goldstein's face did to the Ingsoc workers by brutal face stomping conditioning.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

tarlibone posted:

Do not get me started on that pile of poo poo. I'd call it an abortion, but abortions are infinitely funnier.

When you create a horrible character like Allen Gregory, then you have to do something to get the audience on board.

Even Allen's sister (the ONLY likeable character) succumbed to the suckage that was that pile of festering poo poo.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

tarlibone posted:

... and I bet you $2 that the producers absolutely hated that song, but they used it because the song Jonah Hill recorded for it was still in post production. Which is just as well, because it was probably just a bunch of auto-tuned samples of him snorting lines of cocaine.

I'm not taking that bet, I'd be better off just setting those two dollars on fire.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
I saw Allen Gregory once, two years ago, when a mate put on the TV at a rained out BBQ.

It was completely and utterly forgettable, and up until opening this thread with 40 plus replies hoping season two was out, I had no memory of it.

Arseholes.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

tarlibone posted:

It's like French Stewart asked what his motivation was before recording his first line, and they said, "You're the Dean from Community. Go!"

I would watch the hell out of a Dean Pelton spinoff cartoon.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

I think that's my bush was live action, but there was also one called lil bush or something that was animated. I never saw a full episode, but I swear it's real.

Both existed, Thats's My Bush had its moments, and Lil Bush absolutely didn't.

Comedy Central having two simultaneous Bush shows is the funny thing.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

tarlibone posted:

Ugh no. That just makes it even worse.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

ultramiraculous posted:

Both existed, Thats's My Bush had its moments, and Lil Bush absolutely didn't.

Comedy Central having two simultaneous Bush shows is the funny thing.

Three if you count the Daily Show.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

They weren't simultaneous. That's my bush was cancelled as gently caress when 9/11 happened. Lil' bush or whatever was the last six months of his presidency and cancelled by obvious new president inauguration. They were about as not simultaneous as possible.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I think I saw one or two commercials for Allen Gregory and thought "Oh, wow, they took the idea behind Stewie from Family Guy and made it the focus of a show, I will never watch that."

I had no idea just how bad it actually was.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I think I'm the only person that thought That's My Bush was hilarious.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Dr_Amazing posted:

You might have been.

I had the name confused with Lil' Bush; I didn't even mean to bring up That's My Bush. I saw maybe two episodes of TMB, and... well, when you're trying to do a parody of formula sitcoms, you run into immediate problems. It is hard to use parody of a format to support more than a few episodes before it gets stale, much less multiple seasons of a show.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

tarlibone posted:

You might have been.

I had the name confused with Lil' Bush; I didn't even mean to bring up That's My Bush. I saw maybe two episodes of TMB, and... well, when you're trying to do a parody of formula sitcoms, you run into immediate problems. It is hard to use parody of a format to support more than a few episodes before it gets stale, much less multiple seasons of a show.
Surprisingly, Strangers with Candy pulled it off really well.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Dr_Amazing posted:

No, I kind of loved it. I still remember Dr. Kevorkian euthanizing the cat by making it explode.

Timothy Bottoms has thus far played George W. Bush in That's My Bush, DC 9/11: Time of Crisis and even had a cameo in The Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

JazzFlight posted:

Surprisingly, Strangers with Candy pulled it off really well.

Steven Colbert at his absolute funniest.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dr_Amazing posted:

I did too. But I was just a lil kid. That theme song is forever stuck in my brain.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I think there were only three episodes and they were passed around on cds that were downloaded from an AOL bot that would direct message you the files if you messaged him because it was SO cancelled after 9/11. Like the real bush stood up on that rubble and said "gonna get'cha" and the country would not cotton to satire of this man. I think time magazine declared satire was dead, even?
But yeah I liked them. Dick Cheney attended an execution and devoured the soul as it exited the prisoner.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure they started re-airing them around the time Lil'Bush showed up, hence my confusion.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That's my Bush was great. Truly the greatest tragedy of 9/11 was the cancellation of that wonderful show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3LhNzIbZP0

Best episode.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I think KID Notorious was pretty terrible.

I mean, it says something when you're the worst of the SpikeTV ghetto-Adult Swim Ripoff animation block that includes Striperella

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I had heard of Major Lazer, but hadn't watched it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipumt_rWvHo

It's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

A friend of mine had produced an animated pilot for Fox that got passed on in favor of Allen Gregory, so I'm double salty about that train wreck.

• Locked thread