Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnxietyMan1488
Apr 6, 2015

by Cowcaster
This thread is two days old and contains over 3000 posts. Good job guys.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
what game was sweet in future Islam with a female protagonist? goty

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Exclamation Marx posted:

Who exactly (i.e. which groups) are part of the conspiracy to make games not fun? Blaming websites with millions of users like tumblr and twitter is obviously absurd. This whole 'anti-' boogeyman is really strange to me.

The supposed cabal of gamekillers include certain Canadian games conferences, I guess the GDC in Cali, and walking simulator devs with loud mouths on twitter.

I'm guessing they're being ironic when they say "lets ruin video games" but social media, context, etc.

That's without even touching the tinfoil folk who tried to link it all to DiGRA and Microsoft for pushing diversity agendas or w/e.

Oh, and some hipster clique called Cuties Killing Video Games.

InsanityIsCrazy fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 28, 2015

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Exclamation Marx posted:

Why would a sports tweet be relevant to gamergate?

He's drawing a parallel between people not knowing that the athlete's last name is Gay (because they don't know anything about track & field and are just kneejerking) and calling for More Respectfulness, and, I assume, anti-GG people calling for objectionable and problematic content such as hyperviolence in DOOM 4 to be revoked.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

Who exactly (i.e. which groups) are part of the conspiracy to make games not fun? Blaming websites with millions of users like tumblr and twitter is obviously absurd. This whole 'anti-' boogeyman is really strange to me.

Why would a sports tweet be relevant to gamergate?

The theory is that if you start catering to people who care more about how diverse/inclusive a game is than how fun the game is, which is what GGers see aGGers as, then you end up with games that are not as fun. An example is a game like Gone Home, which is completely lacking fun.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I have one issue with Anita, and that is how she handled the Utah State situation after she got threats that gamergate people would shoot up the school if she spoke. Cooperating with terrorists condones it and allow it to work. I think she made a bad call. Even the President would agree me, after he urged Sony to release that Interview movie after that whole North Korea fiasco. What do you guys think?

I'm a huge supporter of Anita otherwise, and I think the fact that she was able to raise ~$150,000 when the goal was only $6,000 goes to show how important this issue really is.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

argondamn posted:

The theory is that if you start catering to people who care more about how diverse/inclusive a game is than how fun the game is, which is what GGers see aGGers as, then you end up with games that are not as fun. An example is a game like Gone Home, which is completely lacking fun.

Gone Home wasn't designed just to have diversity though.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Squinty posted:

The Witcher is specifically based on a Polish series of books in a setting based on Polish history and folklore right? Did people also expect Koei to put Mexican characters in Romance of the Three Kingdoms?

Yes, 'The Witcher 3' is pretty much exclusively Polish, from the character design to the attitude, Geralt's neutrality mirrors feelings in post-Communist Poland. Even the entire scenario, with the Empire of Nilfgaard threatening to take over the much more independent and vulnerable North can be interpreted as Communist Russia trying to Impose its will on a place where they feel it has no claim. It represents their culture almost exclusively. They are so proud of 'The Witcher' series, their president gave a copy of the 'Witcher 2' to Barack Obama. The 'Witcher 3' is a cultural export like 'Romance of the Three Kingdoms'.

If we were talking about an Italian fantasy game and it was exclusively white, with no swarthy Sicilians or Moors even though it was set in Southern Italy, then sure, it'd be awful not having at least the presence of several of those characters or large groups of them depending on when it is set and where. But we aren't.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 28, 2015

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Ausmund posted:

I have one issue with Anita, and that is how she handled the Utah State situation after she got threats that gamergate people would shoot up the school if she spoke. Cooperating with terrorists condones it and allow it to work. I think she made a bad call. Even the President would agree me, after he urged Sony to release that Interview movie after that whole North Korea fiasco. What do you guys think?

Yeah, it was a goof. But considering she ties video game culture to the idea of toxic masculinity, I guess she doesn't put it past someone to murder a game critic. I'm pretty sure she is under constant guard now.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Yeah, it was a goof. But considering she ties video game culture to the idea of toxic masculinity, I guess she doesn't put it past someone to murder a game critic. I'm pretty sure she is under constant guard now.
She has no control over that though. If someone is going to go on a loving shooting spree over loving video games they're going to go on a shooting spree whether she gives a speach at a school or not. She should have given the speech and not stepped down.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

argondamn posted:

this is a weird accusation. i thought gone home was pretty fun - but isn't this an example of a small studio making the kind of game they wanted to make? it's not like anyone lobbied the gone home devs to make it about homosexuality

if gone home has anything to do with gamergate it looks like it's an example of a game that doesn't have mass appeal but pisses off self identified Gamers as being a symbol of increasing diversity in games, which is bad for reasons nobody seems to be able to explain

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Brannock posted:

He's drawing a parallel between people not knowing that the athlete's last name is Gay (because they don't know anything about track & field and are just kneejerking) and calling for More Respectfulness, and, I assume, anti-GG people calling for objectionable and problematic content such as hyperviolence in DOOM 4 to be revoked.

Well-meaning but embarrassingly uninformed people are nothing new, and imo it speaks of obsessiveness to contextualise everything through gamergate

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Thing is she has been personally threatened before. Like stalkers(iirc, or people creeping around her house) and phoned death threats to her and family.

Wouldnt put it as a mark against her for abandoning the speech imo.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
all this focus on art games not being fun or games being made less fun because of SJWs, implies that there's only one true kind of fun, you can have less or more fun units, and that only true gamers really understand what fun is

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Ausmund posted:

She has no control over that though. If someone is going to go on a loving shooting spree over loving video games they're going to go on a shooting spree whether she gives a speach at a school or not. She should have given the speech and not stepped down.

:agreed:

argondamn posted:

Fun is subjective. I tend to like walking simulators / hidden object games because they usually look gorgeous on my giant TV and wicked video card. I was a little miffed when I finished it. I thought it was a horror game, since I saw one "official" trailer that turned out to be misleading.

Bonesnap
Oct 9, 2007

Ausmund posted:

The police also told her that the threat wasn't credible. If she had gone through with the speech, nothing would have happened, and she could not go on acting as if the threat was credible.

Exclamation Marx posted:

Well-meaning but embarrassingly uninformed people are nothing new, and imo it speaks of obsessiveness to contextualise everything through gamergate

Which is why it's strange that so many journalists look at any internet harassment and point the finger, without any kind of evidence, at a massive, diverse group of hobbyists. Go back to October 2014 and you'll see articles accusing Gamergate of affiliating with ISIS. Any wrong on the internet is attributed to the Gamergate boogeyman. You're right, it's really weird that they obsess like that.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Bonesnap posted:

Which is why it's strange that so many journalists look at any internet harassment and point the finger, without any kind of evidence, at a massive, diverse group of hobbyists. Go back to October 2014 and you'll see articles accusing Gamergate of affiliating with ISIS. Any wrong on the internet is attributed to the Gamergate boogeyman. You're right, it's really weird that they obsess like that.

For trolls from the Weev school of internet, Gamergate was exactly the scapegoat they needed.

I still have the article featuring Weev in my bookmarks.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Thing is she has been personally threatened before. Like stalkers(iirc, or people creeping around her house) and phoned death threats to her and family.

Wouldnt put it as a mark against her for abandoning the speech imo.
That doesn't matter, she booked the event. By stepping down she's allowing these kinds of threats to work. Not just to her but other people in gaming that receive similar forms of harassment that shes speaking out against. Cooperating with terrorism is very very harmful.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bonesnap posted:

The police also told her that the threat wasn't credible. If she had gone through with the speech, nothing would have happened, and she could not go on acting as if the threat was credible.

a credible threat to the police is something they can follow up on rather than someone somewhere phoning in a threat. there's not much they can do with that.

you're implying however that the police laughed at a hysterical, crazy woman who overstates how persecuted she is for attention. why do you think anita sarkeesian fakes threats against her person?

Bonesnap posted:

it's not strange at all. you often see this hateful language popping up on gaming discussion sites and in gaming discussion channels. it's not difficult to make the connection between vitriol on gaming boards and a preponderance of people on those boards (who are likely gamers) who agree with those attitudes

i think you're projecting here, by saying that gamers are being unfairly persecuted and witch hunted by the mean old leftist media who just plain hates innocent gamers

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it's not strange at all. you often see this hateful language popping up on gaming discussion sites and in gaming discussion channels. it's not difficult to make the connection between vitriol on gaming boards and a preponderance of people on those boards (who are likely gamers) who agree with those attitudes

i think you're projecting here, by saying that gamers are being unfairly persecuted and witch hunted by the mean old leftist media who just plain hates innocent gamers

It's not hard to imagine the ailing television news networks taking a story and running with it without doing their own research, especially when its about a part of technology that probably still baffles them. And video games in general were never looked upon kindly by the Fox News reactionary folk.

Do you think MSNBC has a dedicated channer to translate the happenings of /baphomet?

goku im piss
Mar 18, 2005

Your mama was a snowblower

linking people who play video games and have occasionally lovely opinions with the likes of Islamic State and Boko Haram is pretty goddamn strange.

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

It's not hard to imagine the ailing television news networks taking a story and running with it without doing their own research, especially when its about a part of technology that probably still baffles them. And video games in general were never looked upon kindly by the Fox News reactionary folk.

Television news media in general. Video games are either a plague destroying the minds of children, a convenient scapegoat for mass killings, or just a new toy.

goku im piss fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 28, 2015

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Brannock posted:

Exclamation Marx posted:

Nah, I just liked to use hellthread to laugh at dumb stuff on twitter that didn't necessarily always fall under the purview of Gamergate and I was wondering if this thread might have the same kind of jive, but, I got my answer either way. :v:

Bonesnap
Oct 9, 2007

a credible threat to the police is something they can follow up on rather than someone somewhere phoning in a threat. there's not much they can do with that.

you're implying however that the police laughed at a hysterical, crazy woman who overstates how persecuted she is for attention. why do you think anita sarkeesian fakes threats against her person?

Because the police advise people to be quiet about their threats, not blast them across the internet with a link to your donation page. Again and again and again and again. Take a look at some of the things they consider to be threats, most of it doesn't go beyond disagreement. Then take a look at the kind of poo poo Justin Bieber gets in an hour, or worse, anyone Justin Bieber is dating.

quote:

Holy poo poo, people on the internet using hateful language? Call the news! I find it extremely difficult to make a connection between attitudes of people on forums (not just gaming) and a completely unrelated group as a whole. Gaming forums are not all gamers. Just like I wouldn't accuse anyone in the sports forum as condemning all of sports. If someone says something inconsiderate over in the football funzone, are all football fans disgusting racists?

Bonesnap fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 28, 2015

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

goku im piss posted:

Television news media in general. Video games are either a plague destroying the minds of children, a convenient scapegoat for mass killings, or just a new toy.

Looking back at a simpler time, when Doom made people shoot up schools and games like Soldier of Fortune were banned in certain countries for its grotesque splatter system. Memories~

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bonesnap posted:

Holy poo poo, people on the internet using hateful language? Call the news! I find it extremely difficult to make a connection between attitudes of people on forums (not just gaming) and a completely unrelated group as a whole. Gaming forums are not all gamers. Just like I wouldn't accuse anyone in the sports forum as condemning all of sports. If someone says something inconsiderate over in the football funzone, are all football fans disgusting racists?
There is a world of difference between being called a human being online and having your personal information, address, workplace, naked pictures, , and financial information along with graphic detailed sexual harassment uploaded online because you spoke out against how women are treated online.

Ausmund fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 28, 2015

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

VJeff posted:

Nah, I just liked to use hellthread to laugh at dumb stuff on twitter that didn't necessarily always fall under the purview of Gamergate and I was wondering if this thread might have the same kind of jive, but, I got my answer either way. :v:

Whoops my bad!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bonesnap posted:

Because the police advise people to be quiet about their threats, not blast them across the internet with a link to your donation page. Again and again and again and again. Take a look at some of the things they consider to be threats, most of it doesn't go beyond disagreement. Then take a look at the kind of poo poo Justin Bieber gets in an hour, or worse, anyone Justin Bieber is dating.

so she's faking or overstating these threats to profit from them?

Bonesnap posted:

how many mainstream articles actually refer to "everyone who plays games" instead of "some gamers"? this sounds really defensive, and probably not an accurate reflection of what the news media actually said about gaming

it's also not clear to me how this is just some rough language being tossed about on the internet when the mainstream nightly news is covering it. which is it - totally overblown and unwarranted attacks against gamers, or an unsympathetic drive by media looking for a quick buck at innocent hobbyist's expense?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

goku im piss posted:

linking people who play video games and have occasionally lovely opinions with the likes of Islamic State and Boko Haram is pretty goddamn strange.

i agree, which is why i doubt bonesnap's argument is true. i don't think any credible news source linked gamergate and islamic terrorism. if that did actually happen it was probably something one individual on twitter said that then got swept up into the gamergate mythology explaining how persecuted and beset they are by the rest of society

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

which is it - totally overblown and unwarranted attacks against gamers, or an unsympathetic drive by media looking for a quick buck at innocent hobbyist's expense?

Gawker and Breitbart are involved, so...

i agree, which is why i doubt bonesnap's argument is true. i don't think any credible news source linked gamergate and islamic terrorism. if that did actually happen it was probably something one individual on twitter said that then got swept up into the gamergate mythology explaining how persecuted and beset they are by the rest of society

Funny enough, a lot of the articles that come out every few weeks to condemn gamers often use blogs and tweets as reliable sources. Or they use wikipedia... who cite smaller websites... that cite blogs and tweets.

InsanityIsCrazy fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 28, 2015

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

For trolls from the Weev school of internet, Gamergate was exactly the scapegoat they needed.

I still have the article featuring Weev in my bookmarks.

I love how hard the reporter got trolled in this and I hate weev

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

What was really funny was when there was an incident when the piece of poo poo Kim Kardashian (which several ""games journalists"" put in their top 10 lists to troll their audience) mobile game went down, people who played it went apeshit. They harassed Kim Kardashian, they sent death threats to the developers. These weren't gamers, they were people paying for a cow clicker game. And it was a lot of harassment. One of the developers even got doxxed I believe.

Its the anonymity of the internet. People will be assholes no matter what.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Literally The Worst posted:

I love how hard the reporter got trolled in this and I hate weev

Love of trolling is part of why this whole gamergate thing is still a thing. And will be a thing. Probably forever.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Funny enough, a lot of the articles that come out every few weeks to condemn gamers often use blogs and tweets as reliable sources. Or they use wikipedia... who cite smaller websites... that cite blogs and tweets.

is it like a law that every five pages someone has to try to excuse bad behavior by pointing out that other people do that same bad behavior

a single digit number of people saying mean and absurd things about gamergate on twitter is a really menial thing to get fixated on but it seriously does seem to be the genesis of many claims that gamergaters make when demonstrating that the whole world is out to get them. i don't think there's a single thing about gamergate that makes sense unless as an individual one spends most if not all of their time focusing on meaningless internet politics

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dapper Dan posted:

What was really funny was when there was an incident when the piece of poo poo Kim Kardashian (which several ""games journalists"" put in their top 10 lists to troll their audience) mobile game went down, people who played it went apeshit. They harassed Kim Kardashian, they sent death threats to the developers. These weren't gamers, they were people paying for a cow clicker game. And it was a lot of harassment. One of the developers even got doxxed I believe.

Yeah i remeber that. It wasnt even channers/mras/sjws/whatevers. it was just tons of pissed of teen girls who couldnt play some lovely phone game.

Bonesnap
Oct 9, 2007

Ausmund posted:

There is a world of difference between being called a human being online and having your personal information, address, workplace, naked pictures, , and financial information along with graphic detailed sexual harassment uploaded online because you spoke out against how women are treated online.

Yes, hopefully such a situation is treated with the respect it deserves, instead of the finger being pointed at a nebulous group of people without any evidence.

so she's faking or overstating these threats to profit from them?

Have you heard of Anita Sarkeesian before? When Gamergate tracked down the Brazilian guy who made threats against her, she blocked them. They found out who was actually doing it, a dedicated troll, and reported him to Brazilean authorities, who said they couldn't do anything about it unless Anita herself complained. She went on pointing the finger at Gamergate, with zero evidence.

quote:

how many mainstream articles actually refer to "everyone who plays games" instead of "some gamers"? this sounds really defensive, and probably not an accurate reflection of what the news media actually said about gaming

14 on the same day, while gamers were busy trying to figure out who was actually doing it.

quote:

it's also not clear to me how this is just some rough language being tossed about on the internet when the mainstream nightly news is covering it. which is it - totally overblown and unwarranted attacks against gamers, or an unsympathetic drive by media looking for a quick buck at innocent hobbyist's expense?

It's a small bit of both, but mostly it's just that if you throw poo poo it sticks, and this a giant shitstorm.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dapper Dan posted:

if people are going to be assholes no matter what, then what's the point of opposing SJW attempts to overthrow the gaming world? aren't they just going to be assholes regardless, if there can be no victory in the grim digital future?

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

is it like a law that every five pages someone has to try to excuse bad behavior by pointing out that other people do that same bad behavior

a single digit number of people saying mean and absurd things about gamergate on twitter is a really menial thing to get fixated on but it seriously does seem to be the genesis of many claims that gamergaters make when demonstrating that the whole world is out to get them. i don't think there's a single thing about gamergate that makes sense unless as an individual one spends most if not all of their time focusing on meaningless internet politics

Oh goody, I get to use this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzbzMYhZgDM

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bonesnap posted:

Have you heard of Anita Sarkeesian before? When Gamergate tracked down the Brazilian guy who made threats against her, she blocked them. They found out who was actually doing it, a dedicated troll, and reported him to Brazilean authorities, who said they couldn't do anything about it unless Anita herself complained. She went on pointing the finger at Gamergate, with zero evidence.

i don't think you can blame her for not believing the group which organized itself largely to call her a human monster made flesh

yeah i'm aware the internet is silly, i'm trying to ask people who deeply believe this is important why they think it is important

it seems like nobody who's actually invested in this thing is affiliated with gamergate at all, they just follow all the details and know the particulars and can cite when major developments happened but they're not in the middle of it, really, they are dispassionate observers who just peek in from afar with a bemused smirk

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

that could apply to both sides.

• Locked thread