Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Bicyclops posted:

Is the PC port of Valkyria Chronicles any good? It got some bad publicity at first, but I had a roommate who played it on the PS3, and it looked really addictive, even if the cut scenes all made me cringe.

Yeah, it runs super smooth for me. Apparently there was some fuckery involving going over 30fps making the game harder because it made enemy counter-attacks more effective but I think they fixed that and even if they didn't it hasn't really effected my playthrough at all.

But don't take my word for it, the guy who made the Dark Souls and Deadly Premonition PC fixes says it's a great port.

Sleeveless fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The correct solution to all maps is sniping dudes with the anti tank guys. That and flamethrowers.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Bicyclops posted:

Is the PC port of Valkyria Chronicles any good? It got some bad publicity at first, but I had a roommate who played it on the PS3, and it looked really addictive, even if the cut scenes all made me cringe.

It got really good publicity as a decent port at first and sold tons initially, you should learn to read

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Blister posted:

It got really good publicity as a decent port at first and sold tons initially, you should learn to read

there's no need to be rude, blister.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Nasgate posted:

The correct solution to all maps is sniping dudes with the anti tank guys. That and flamethrowers.

The actual correct way to play is to have an all-male team and use Jann as often as possible just so you can listen to John Dimaggio's lisping queen voice as he gets a stat bonus for being around other men.

"I could get looooost in these muuuuscles! :swoon:"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Valkyria Chronicles is fun

am I correct in assuming that "give scouts cover while they madly sprint towards the objective like a demented anime WW2 Sonic the Hedgehog" is the correct strategy for 90% of the game

It's the only strategy to gold star or S-rank or whatever term that game uses on some maps

you can have more fun and kill more things by playing it with like, actual strategy, but then the game will :mad: at you and tell you how poo poo you are

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
If you care about S-Ranks just play the game however you like and then steamroll everybody in New Game+ after you beat it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

CJacobs posted:

I can think of very few games that released as broken as Arkham Knight (one of which was by the same studio) so I'm gonna have to say no.

It's fine on console.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

precision posted:

It's the only strategy to gold star or S-rank or whatever term that game uses on some maps

you can have more fun and kill more things by playing it with like, actual strategy, but then the game will :mad: at you and tell you how poo poo you are

The time based ranking system is the only part of the game I don't like. It's seems pretty dumb!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sleeveless posted:

If you care about S-Ranks just play the game however you like and then steamroll everybody in New Game+ after you beat it.

I'm going off memory here but don't you need to get S-Ranks to have enough money/soldiers/upgrades

it is entirely possible i just played the game wrong

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

precision posted:

I'm going off memory here but don't you need to get S-Ranks to have enough money/soldiers/upgrades

it is entirely possible i just played the game wrong

You can grind for money and experience if you have to, I think.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Bicyclops posted:

You can grind for money and experience if you have to, I think.

Yeah, the main story missions are a one-time deal but the skirmish maps you unlock for beating them can be played as often as you like. When I played I had middling story mission rankings and only played the skirmish maps once apiece and I still had enough experience to beat every non-puzzle level on more or less the first try.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lurdiak posted:

It amuses me that when a game sucks on consoles, PC gamers take it as proof that their lifestyle is the best, but when the opposite happens, consoles are "loving PCs over." It must be nice to live in a world where you're never wrong.

It has its ups and downs.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The best thing about video gaming is the video games

The worst thing about video gaming is the cables and their power of tangling without help

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
the only moral abortion of a video game is my abortion of a video game

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

there's no need to be rude, blister.

there's no need to be a loving dumb idiot fool, you royal boob

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Great Joe posted:

There is some serious hardcore language being thrown around here. I may have to leave :stare:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Great Joe posted:

woah buddy do you play nintendo with that mouth???

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

The worst thing about video gaming is the cables and their power of tangling without help

Get a 3DS, fellow Video Game enthusiast

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Whats a CD?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I should play Xenoblade. I really liked Xenogears.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Colonel posted:

I should play Xenoblade. I really liked Xenogears.

It doesn't have anything to do with Xenogears, MonolithSoft just likes calling their games Xeno[thing], even as they go from company to company.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

This might be late but oh man that E3 Hitman trailer actually looked pretty good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

This might be late but oh man that E3 Hitman trailer actually looked pretty good

it looks great but I don't know about the wacky way they decided to chop it all up and dish it out piecemeal.

Would have preferred them to make and sell a whole game at once

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

exquisite tea posted:

It has its ups and downs.

With PC you get a better gaming experience when everything works out, but you also have to deal with a lot of bullshit. Some people justifiably prefer console because it just works, though I'll never give up my precious steam account and gaming rig.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

theultimo posted:

Whats a CD?

It's somewhere between a vinyl record and a Blu-Ray. Or so I hear.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Real hurthling! posted:

it looks great but I don't know about the wacky way they decided to chop it all up and dish it out piecemeal.

Would have preferred them to make and sell a whole game at once
As long as they release enough missions from the start it could be fine. I mean I pretty much played Blood Money like a bunch of separate missions because I never bothered watching the cutscenes.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Worldshatter posted:

Some people justifiably prefer console because it just works,

Counterpoint: anything made by Bethesda. I had a major quest totally break in fallout NV on the 360 that would have easily been saved by a console command.

Of course it doesn't automatically make the pc version better if they are both equally broken, but my point is that if something is busted on a console your pretty much poo poo out of luck where as on a PC there is at least the potential to hack it back into working condition.

Though, that's probably why qa on console games is higher to begin with...

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Worldshatter posted:

Some people justifiably prefer console because it just works,
To be honest this kind of stopped being the case as soon as developers realised they could patch/update console games and no longer had to worry about them being 100% perfect on release.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The point still stands though. People play video games on consoles because you don't have to gently caress with any settings or options, you just put the game in and play it. Whether the game is buggy or not is on a by-game basis after that. You can be 100% sure that the game will work on the console the same way for everybody who owns it because they've all got the same pre-set parts in them.

edit: Or because they want to play video games from their TV on the couch or whathaveyou, but it's 2015 so they could just stream their PC to their TV if they wanted to do that.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Mak0rz posted:

Counterpoint: anything made by Bethesda. I had a major quest totally break in fallout NV on the 360 that would have easily been saved by a console command.

Of course it doesn't automatically make the pc version better if they are both equally broken, but my point is that if something is busted on a console your pretty much poo poo out of luck where as on a PC there is at least the potential to hack it back into working condition.

You probably could have fixed it with a savegame editor on a pc if you tossed the save file in a flash drive then decrypted it. Of course that's the same kind of work people avoid by buying a console.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
So was MagiNation actually any good or was I just really easy to entertain as a kid? My most vivid memory of it is that you could sell the basic healing item for more than you could buy it for, so there was effectively no need to ever worry about money which already cuts out a pretty major part of the RPG grind for me but if the rest of the game sucks then I probably won't try to replay it like my nostalgia is telling me to.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mak0rz posted:

It's amazing to me that Bethesda consistently puts out such buggy games, even when other people develop them. I think their QA department must be like, 2 guys.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

The point still stands though. People play video games on consoles because you don't have to gently caress with any settings or options, you just put the game in and play it. Whether the game is buggy or not is on a by-game basis after that. You can be 100% sure that the game will work on the console the same way for everybody who owns it because they've all got the same pre-set parts in them.

i :agreed: with yer general point but there are games all the time where this isn't the case, for example there's a bug with mass effect 3 that randomly affects people and has never been fixed where it will hang on the "connecting to server" screen if you log into PSN before starting the game up.

though i guess that's maybe some weird internet or server issue and nothing to do with the software or hardware :iiam:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I meant bugs aside, I guess I should've said that instead

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

why does Valkyria Chronicles have a beach episode

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
All anime-based media is legally required to have a beach episode or else the creators are fined like ten thousand dollars, it's actually kind of a bullshit law tbh

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CJacobs posted:

All anime-based media is legally required to have a beach episode or else the creators are fined like ten thousand dollars, it's actually kind of a bullshit law tbh

The beach episode of Berserk sure was a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Everything should have a beach episode

• Locked thread