Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I was told that once it enters the yard, they won't let you have anything with the VIN on it. Is that not the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

QuarkMartial posted:

I was told that once it enters the yard, they won't let you have anything with the VIN on it. Is that not the case?

Depends on the yard's policy. A dude I know just pulled an almost whole Eclipse from a local yard.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Pham Nuwen posted:

You do this every time motorcycles comes up and it's really loving tedious.

Actually it's whenever shitheel bikers engaging in borderline suicidal behavior - that typically gets blamed on people not being aware of motorcycles and/or not sharing the road - comes up.

But don't let that stop you from backseat modding the off topic chat thread :allears:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

I love the fact that old (for Japan at least) kei cars are cheap enough to be practically disposable. :allears: I had been thinking about buying a used Jimny on auctions just to abuse it but I had to move and my new apartment block doesn't have any extra parking spaces. :japan:

I think that's mostly it just being a kei car, while I've not driven a manual one myself I have yet to ride in one that didn't jerk like an old carnival ride at almost every change.

The thing to understand about driving tests in Japan is it's not how good you are as a driver, it's how well you adhere to the rules of the test based on a shoddy model of "safe" driving. I have the dubious honor of being able to say I've passed the Japanese driving test twice. I originally got an auto only license from scratch and upgraded to manual later. I did try to upgrade at the license center without going back to driving school but I had already forgotten "how to drive" and after a few expensive failures I decided to just cough up the money for the short course at a driving school where I passed first time because the driving schools will pretty much just pass you because you paid them money unless you're an obvious danger to the public. While I don't think you can't take the test for license conversion at a driving school your friend still might wanna see about getting a practice lesson or two if he has trouble.

Yeah, if I still lived in Japan I'd definitely have one for beating on/rainy days. I've never paid more than ¥100,000 for a vehicle here, my first car was a '96 Mark II (100,000), next was a 00 Daihatsu Atrai-7 (80,000), and I had an old '92 XLR250R Baja (100,000) that was my daily driver my last year here. Never had to put anything through shaken though, to be fair.

Did about 150kms of driving yesterday, definitely getting better. My friend (the actual owner, on paper) is still a bit rough around the edges, especially on hill starts, but he was able to drive us most of the way home so I could have a beer at my favourite restaurant. Saved a kitten from the middle of the road on the way back :3:

Whoa, do you mean you did all the driving school rigamarole to get the AT license without having a foreign one?! I know that is theoretically possible but seems like such a daunting pain in the rear end, a few foreigners I know here keenly regret not getting their licenses before coming and have basically consigned themselves to not driving for the rest of their time in Japan.

I managed to pass the (automatic only) foreign license conversion on my first go, which surprised the hell out of me, the tester said I was the first foreigner to pull that off in about a year. I made up for it by taking 8 tries to get a 400cc motorcycle license (from scratch), my marginal Japanese for understanding feedback and a lack of English info available online at the time made it a lot of (expensive) trial and error. I also had to spread out tries over a year since my employers were such wankers about taking leave. All told it cost me about US$1,000, which was cheaper than a school at least.

By contrast, when I got back to the US I was able to bang out the whole MSF weekend course in 5 hours for $250 when the only other student in the class didn't show. :patriot:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

FINALLY catching Mad Max. 15 minutes until Valhalla.

I have had a religious experience. Av change incoming.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
FYI - I finally got to see Mad Max Fury Road. I want a war rig.

Also, the first 3 movies are such a yawn. I mean all I want to see is trucks, fire, cars, and super chargers.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

ONE OF US

E: gently caress I just realized I saw it 5 times in theaters, but was financially responsible for a total of 10 tickets including the ones I bought for broke friends and I sprinkled out 6 or 7 avatars that I remember, holy poo poo I dumped money on Mad Max :stare:

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 29, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I went on opening night with 13 friends. It was good times. I was concerned we were going to have to hand out gang beat-downs to motherfuckers talking or using their phones during the film but luckily everyone sat in reverence from start to finish.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

We have witnessed you and you shall be welcomed to Valhalla shiney and chrome

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Mad Max's final showing is Tuesday here, I think I'm going to go watch it one last time in theaters, bringing my total viewings up to 5.

They better bring this movie back to theaters at some point, goddamn it just won't be the same on a TV and home speaker system.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The only advantage of watching it at home is you can turn it up as loud you want.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Is it common for a lease to set the number of vehicles allowed on the property? We're looking at a place that's really nice, with a 2 car garage, but they want to set a limit of vehicles allowed. They're OK with 3 which should be plenty but still feels weird.

Also originally specified no maintenance on the property. After I complained they said they'd be willing to add a rider for in-garage work if we take responsibility for damage such as oil spills and tire rubs, the same poo poo that you'd get just parking a car and not doing maintenance.

I guess it's the kind of poo poo you deal with when renting a nice house from well-off white people... They're loving fussy.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Maybe they had a bad experience in the past?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Pham Nuwen posted:

Is it common for a lease to set the number of vehicles allowed on the property? We're looking at a place that's really nice, with a 2 car garage, but they want to set a limit of vehicles allowed. They're OK with 3 which should be plenty but still feels weird.

Also originally specified no maintenance on the property. After I complained they said they'd be willing to add a rider for in-garage work if we take responsibility for damage such as oil spills and tire rubs, the same poo poo that you'd get just parking a car and not doing maintenance.

I guess it's the kind of poo poo you deal with when renting a nice house from well-off white people... They're loving fussy.

Hello -- yes it is very common for the lease to specify number of vehicles, number of occupants, and number of pets. It's also common for the lease to specify activities excluded on the property -- common ones I've seen personally include operating a business, sub-leasing the property, and repairing vehicles.

Is it still casual racism if it's white people instead of black people, asians, hispanics, or middle-easterners?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Geirskogul posted:

Totally serious about that $30, if you're up to it.

I just got back from the beach. I'll knock this out tonight or tomorrow.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yes, it is common.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
yes it is common. The dive apartment I had for a year while prepping my house for initial move-in was that way, it was in a kinda lovely area and I think I might have been the only white dude there. All my neighbors were awesome, we all drove lovely cars and the maintenance company had cameras up and signs prohibiting mechanical repairs in the parking lot so we just threw extension cords out our windows across the chainlink fence to the garbage strewn vacant lot next door and worked on our poo poo boxes there, gently caress da police :v:

I don't know why a management company renting lovely apartments next to a vacant lot on the bad side of town with their old washers and dryers and water heaters lined up along the fence (seriously) thought they were above car work in the parking lot, but they did. :argh:

Some of the coolest, most down to earth people I've lived or wrenched with were met there. Everyone was willing to lend tools if needed, or jump in and help. I ran into one of the guys I knew from there at the local junkyard last weekend actually.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
When I first moved into my old condo, I came across two guys doing a shirtless engine swap on a Jetta in our parking lot. I therefore assumed that parking lot work was a-ok.

A couple years later the condo board shifted enough to trust-fund kids and retired geriatrics that that poo poo got clamped down on. They tried to write up some people who lived there for things that the neighbouring houses were doing (a pair of Somalians flipped early-90s Honda Accords, often including lashing the rad support to a tree and doing reverse burnouts).

I showed them, though; a couple months after I left I was in the same area and my Subaru blew a lower rad hose. I went into their visitor parking and merrily dumped almost an entire cooling system's worth of 50-50 all over it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
For nostalgias sake I loaded up some music I listened to in college...found this on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_QRS_tyUDg

Holy poo poo that album still holds up, and the live recording is phenomenal. Katatonia sounds like some sort of glam/death metal band, but they are actually super listenable emotive heavy rock, I guess.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
For the most part my area is full of people that wrench. Even if its god awful stanced Nissan 350z's its still cool.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I'm generally not against tinting rear windows in sedans and such, but extreme tint on SUVs or wagons can go gently caress itself. I'd like to see the road when I'm reversing out of a perpendicular parking space.

Are you all blind or something?
5% is pretty much standard in everything but the front doors here and the only time it was remotely annoying was on the wagon AFTER I did the manual swap and I didn't make a conversion harness for the backup light switch. I actually had to turn my head and look.
(Oh the horror!)

Parking lots at night are a non-issue.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Just got back from a three-day, 500 mile jaunt with the GF for anniversary weekend. My E46 330ci/poorman's M3 often sits covered these days (due to motorcycle/jeep stuff), so it felt great to take it out and remember why I bought it in the first place. Went up CA 1 from LA to Hearst Castle, and saw the gross, amazing opulence that place embodies. Saw a few nice cars, but mostly rental mustangs/camaros doing the PCH thing.

Frankly, PCH only gets good North of Hearst Castle so I decided gently caress Ventura county on the way back, and took the long way home inland through some back highways/farm country I'm familiar with from camping. Lo and behold, some of them had been recently resurfaced so it was freak-out-the-gf time through the canyons. I've been through Lockwood Valley many times in camping rigs, but it's a really fun road in something sporty and really awesome scenery. Straights, curves, twisties, some whoopdie hills, and never saw a CHP (although they do cruise through there fairly often, so be careful) . Great road. The E46 loved it, but my old Hankooks are pretty tired, and I think it's getting time for a suspension refresh as it just rolled past 80,000k and feels kinda sloppy.

Also if anyone is planning a trip through PCH near Hearst Castle I found a kickass B&B in Cambria with amazing hosts, fantastic breakfasts (fresh eggs raised onsite, natch), complimentary local wine/cheese in the evenings and a freebie beer fridge
:sax:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Geoj posted:

Actually it's whenever shitheel bikers engaging in borderline suicidal behavior - that typically gets blamed on people not being aware of motorcycles and/or not sharing the road - comes up.

But don't let that stop you from backseat modding the off topic chat thread :allears:

It's more that you come off as an obnoxious twat whenever motorcycles or corporations get brought up.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Slept in the guest bedroom last night since it has some obscene thread count sheets on the bed (a/c also works a lot better in there), and even a couple of Tramadol weren't helping much with the sunburn.

Woke up to a camera going off this morning. I guess my mom has never seen my cat sleeping with me or something? He pretty much always sleeps right next to my shoulder or face.

:3:

Pham Nuwen posted:

All of this is super common. Just lay down cardboard under the car before doing anything and/or if it has known leaks.

My last apartment allowed 1 car per tenant, or 1 car + 1 motorcycle. It wasn't really enforced though, unless you parked in someone else's covered parking (and even then, it took at least a week to get them to tow the drat car, which is when I told them what they could do with the spot I was renting)

Every lease I've signed also defined how many overnight guests you could have and how often they could stay. Only the super ghetto apartment actively enforced that, they would walk in unannounced (completely illegal) early in the morning, then start looking at how many burned out light bulbs you had (and charge $5 for every bulb that was out), if you'd done any damage, how many pets you had, etc. Since I tend to sleep either naked or in just boxers/tank top (naked that day), they got a bit more than they bargained for when I heard people stomping around.

Ozmiander posted:

Maybe you shouldn't throw stones, since you proudly posted about driving home drunk and pinballing off jersey barriers.

Fully expected someone to bring that up.. Yeah, not my brightest moment, though I wouldn't call it a "proud" post.

Definitely a post I should not have made, but I got a well-deserved rear end chewing from you guys over it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

some texas redneck posted:

Definitely a post I should not have made, but I got a well-deserved rear end chewing from you guys over it.

Only because we care.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Any DFW goons interested in doing the Color Fun Fest 5K? It'll be in McKinney. Walk or run, family friendly. I'll probably alternate between jogging and walking. A chunk of the money goes to charity.

Earlybird registration is $25 ($5 processing fee), vs the normal $60, if registered by 11:59pm tomorrow. If I can scrape up the money, I'm going to do the night one.

FWIW, I registered today. If anyone cares to register and be a team or some poo poo, PM me or something.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If you can dodge a wrench,

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

14 INCH SLIT posted:

If you can dodge a wrench,

Your Harbor Freight is way less dingy and brighter lit than mine. I always just assumed that was the look they were going for.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Along the same lines, my 4'11.5" wife didn't find it very funny when I asked her to pose next to the 800Nm 3/4" torque wrench.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A good friend from high school is 4'9.5".

Every time you mention her height, even today (she's close to 40 now), she always reminds everyone "4'9 AND A HALF!" as loudly as possible after you say "4'9".

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Leave it to a woman to worry about a half an inch

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Funniest part was early in our relationship; she'd adamantly claimed that she was five feet even. For shits and giggles we measured her, which came to 151cm. She works in imperial, so I casually typed in "151 cm in feet and inches" into google while we were both looking at the laptop, and left it to her to figure it out. She was not amused. :D

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I know two tiny ladies, one of them comes bouldering with us on occasion and when we play horse sometimes I have to really think about moves that aren't just blatantly unfair to her considering I have a good 12" more reach than her.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

A good friend from high school is 4'9.5".

Every time you mention her height, even today (she's close to 40 now), she always reminds everyone "4'9 AND A HALF!" as loudly as possible after you say "4'9".

Ha!
The wife always says she's 5' 3 and a half as well!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I was once personally responsible for a friend's apartment building deciding they needed to put up signs prohibiting working on vehicles in the car park. Felt slightly proud.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

mafoose posted:

Are you all blind or something?
5% is pretty much standard in everything but the front doors here and the only time it was remotely annoying was on the wagon AFTER I did the manual swap and I didn't make a conversion harness for the backup light switch. I actually had to turn my head and look.
(Oh the horror!)

Parking lots at night are a non-issue.

I wasn't referring to a parking lot, people in parking lots go slowly. Is it uncommon in the US for parking spaces to reverse directly onto a decently trafficked street with normal speed limits? I suppose part of it is also that in the US you just have way more space everywhere, both in parking spaces and on roads. American cars look comically large on European roads, and even a Ford F-150 can barely fit into it's lane.

I also wasn't talking about at night, when lights are quite visible. When you're behind a blacked out SUV or wagon, by the time you can see oncoming cars, your rear end end is already in the way. Of course it's doable safely, it's just a massive pain in the rear end.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

What always amuses me when people discuss American roads / car sizes versus Europe is that our trucks are the same width, and they fit on 99.9% of British roads just fine.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

stump posted:

What always amuses me when people discuss American roads / car sizes versus Europe is that our trucks are the same width, and they fit on 99.9% of British roads just fine.

We have an awful lot of roads where trucks can certainly drive but they'll be half into the on coming lane if they do so. Luckily it's rare they ever drive down them. A lot of our roads are loving tiny.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I'm from Scotland :v: Up here most lorry drivers are pretty well disciplined at leaving room for other motorists, even on winding, barely two lane roads without a centre line. Occasionally you'll get a couple of lorries or busses meet on a tight section a have to slowly manoeuvre around each other but even that is pretty rare, and usually due to inexperienced drivers who don't know the roads I figure. Admittedly we don't have the high hedgerows England has which are a PITA for planning ahead.

Most lorries seem to make decent progress on single track roads too. I remember a while back on the very single track Lairg to Laxford Bridge road slowly catching up to an empty fish artic sitting bang on his 56mph limiter, through corners and over crests. Benefit of a high driving position I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It's gotten to a point where the farmers and such round here can't be hosed to trim the hedges next to the road so it's been fun driving places not knowing when some complete dickhole is going to appear out of nowhere at 50mph on your side of the road.

I remember one particular road in North Yorkshire that I had to drive on occasion for work and going along it even in a van with a high driving position gave me the fear.

• Locked thread