Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

dennyk posted:

Recruiter spam can be good for some laughs. Why yes, I'd love to put my decade of Linux sysadmin experience to use by moving to Boise, ID for a three month contract doing desktop PC help desk work for twenty bucks an hour. :downs:

Just recently I received separate emails from seven different recruiters at the same recruiting firm for the same lovely contract position in the span of twenty minutes. One of them sent me three emails back to back, addressing me as "Dear Jason" (nope), "Dear Denise" (so close, and yet so far...), and "Dear CONFIDENTIAL" ( :cripes: ) respectively.

I got a recruiter email yesterday for a 6 month contract in Hamilton, OH for a Staff Accountant. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how I got included in that email blast - maybe because computers use numbers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

sfwarlock posted:

Come to think of it, it's also Google that doesn't let me email executables. I fear the google self-driving car, now...

Facial recognition software goes haywire, matches you with a wanted criminal, car locks you inside and drives you to the police station. :haw:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

sfwarlock posted:

Yes, just like I can tell google to return verbatim search results. "Do what I said" should be the default behavior.
The average user is much better served by a "do what I mean" behavior.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Collateral Damage posted:

The average user is much better served by a "do what I mean" behavior.

Some features like autofill in Excel really fail at that though - I've seen a lot of spreadsheets where autofill has done a series when the user was clearly expecting the same number.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I constantly got spam for insurance sales positions.

I never once worked anywhere near to anything even remotely like an insurance company.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

dissss posted:

Some features like autofill in Excel really fail at that though - I've seen a lot of spreadsheets where autofill has done a series when the user was clearly expecting the same number.

I would wager more users know copy-paste, which fulfills that, than autofill. More specifically that almost anyone who does know about autofill also knows about copy-paste but not vice-versa. It would certainly be an improvement if it had some way of offering the, say, three "best" fill suggestions from the set it generates to fill that use better.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

nitrogen posted:

I never once worked anywhere near to anything even remotely like an insurance company.

Maybe it's time for a career shift.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Moey posted:

Maybe it's time for a career shift.

Maybe, but not selling loving insurance.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

nitrogen posted:

Got a call and a request to do an interview with an insurance company one time. We talked for several minutes, with me doing the usual "this is what I've done in IT and what I'd like to do", and I'm thinking things are going along well until the interviewer states that she thinks I'd be perfect as a district sales manager for their insurance company. I don't say anything for several seconds before telling her I'd sooner chop my testicles off than sell insurance. The call ended pretty quickly after that. I suppose the mix-up was my own fault, since I never did ask for clarification on the position for which I was interviewing, although to be honest I'd sent out dozens of resumes so I didn't think it was strange to receive an interview request out of the blue.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I remember being warned about those insurance jobs when I was taking some certification classes. They send offers to literally anyone looking for work, and are barely a step above being in a MLM scheme.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
poo poo not pissing me off: My CloudFormation templates actually work.

I decided to upgrade a SQL Server database in my test environment from 2012 Standard to 2014 Enterprise, and instead of all of the upgrade rigamarole I just killed the EC2 instance and the 9 attached SSD volumes and had them rebuild from CloudFormation and a pre-baked AMI. Five minutes later I'm installing SQL Server 2014 and performing a scripted restore of 2 billion rows of data from last night's backup. Now I'm kicking it and drinking tea and in 2 hours I'll be done. Assuming it all goes well (and I am jinxing the poo poo out of myself right now) the process will have taken less than three hours with a brand new server instance. Herd, not pets, folks.

This cloud/virtualization poo poo still blows my mind sometimes.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Agrikk posted:

poo poo not pissing me off: My CloudFormation templates actually work.

I decided to upgrade a SQL Server database in my test environment from 2012 Standard to 2014 Enterprise, and instead of all of the upgrade rigamarole I just killed the EC2 instance and the 9 attached SSD volumes and had them rebuild from CloudFormation and a pre-baked AMI. Five minutes later I'm installing SQL Server 2014 and performing a scripted restore of 2 billion rows of data from last night's backup. Now I'm kicking it and drinking tea and in 2 hours I'll be done. Assuming it all goes well (and I am jinxing the poo poo out of myself right now) the process will have taken less than three hours with a brand new server instance. Herd, not pets, folks.

This cloud/virtualization poo poo still blows my mind sometimes.

That's a wonderful feeling, isn't it? I'm trying to rebuild all my CF templates into a different tool (Terraform) because CF is awful when you want to actually do anything across 10 different "kinds" of servers where everything but 2 pieces are the same across all servers. Also I'm not sure who though JSON was an acceptable language for this, but drat some of those choices need to be re-evaluated.

Oh well, it's like everything else in AWS - it'll do 80% of what you need, but if you need that last 20% you get to completely rebuild the whole thing from scratch (see also: Elastic Beanstalk).

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Urit posted:

Oh well, it's like everything else in AWS - it'll do 80% of what you need, but if you need that last 20% you get to completely rebuild the whole thing from scratch (see also: Elastic Beanstalk).

.ebextensions can burn

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Agrikk posted:

.ebextensions can burn

Our entire deployment system is based on EBExtensions right now. It's as wonderful as you might imagine.

The best part is when EB just decides not to work that day because the machine is slow. No errors, it just doesn't run the extensions at all. Bonus points if it forgets to actually configure the CF template entirely (so there's no health check), and puts the machine into service with the Default Elastic Beanstalk page.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ponzicar posted:

I remember being warned about those insurance jobs when I was taking some certification classes. They send offers to literally anyone looking for work, and are barely a step above being in a MLM scheme.

I worked for one right out of college and it was literally an mlm scheme.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I walked into a job interview once for a company that basically spidered company websites, put their company up on some advertising front for a year, then at the end of the year, contacted accounting and was like "Hey, we've been advertising your company on our website but your 'subscription' is running out, would you like to continue advertising with us for $400/yr?"

Was shady as poo poo and looked like the office could be closed out and disappear overnight. They wanted me to work for them, I told them "yeah I'm not comfortable with this, later".

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Migishu posted:

I walked into a job interview once for a company that basically spidered company websites, put their company up on some advertising front for a year, then at the end of the year, contacted accounting and was like "Hey, we've been advertising your company on our website but your 'subscription' is running out, would you like to continue advertising with us for $400/yr?"

Was shady as poo poo and looked like the office could be closed out and disappear overnight. They wanted me to work for them, I told them "yeah I'm not comfortable with this, later".

You just explained to me what I did for a day almost 12-13 years ago now. Was a temp and was handed a phone a huge list of numbers and told to call these numbers, tell them they had an outstanding bill for internet advertising and give them the bill number listed and a number for them to call. I called the temp agency at the end of the day because this was listed as a "website support tech position, with some phone use." The temp agency was ok with me not going back, because it felt scummy, and was just folding tables and phones in an empty warehouse.

Never did figure out the deal, guess I know now.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

One of my first jobs as a network guy was rigging up the network and 30-ish workstations for what was basically a cold-calling sweat shop for selling domain names. The desks were the cheapest crap you could find and the chairs were one step up from folding camping chairs, all located in a bare concrete room.

Not the proudest moment in my career.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Migishu posted:

This happens a ton in the legal industry "Congratulations, you've been awarded a top 5 Pharmaceutical Law award for your country! Please let us know which package you want to buy to show off your award!"

Then the packages are like, posters, getting published in a magazine that only goes to people that paid for one of the packages, and getting displayed on a website for $20k/year. Every firm I worked for when I was in the legal industry fell for it multiple times and I was reprimanded at one of them for telling the managing partner it was a scam.

It was loving embarrassing working for a place that showed up on a website that made it clear that they had no idea how the internet worked and that they had obviously gotten scammed.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
One of my last temp jobs back in the early 1990s was going to a small, mostly empty office and using a typewriter to type up address labels for the entire House and Senate. Gave me plenty of time to ponder my life choices and the money I spent on my BA.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

TyrsHTML posted:

I called the temp agency at the end of the day because this was listed as a "website support tech position, with some phone use."

I used to get this poo poo when I was temping in the early 2000s. The worst one was a variation of that "Hello this is Microsoft, your computer appears to have a virus" scam. I lasted about 90 minutes before telling the owner to go gently caress himself and walking out. He didn't seem surprised. That same agency also sent me for a job which was "IT work, some light lifting involved", which turned out to be working in a UPS loading bay (the "IT work" was scanning the barcodes on the shipping labels).

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I worked a bunch of customer service call center jobs before landing a job with my friend to do embedded Linux work. I won the career starting lottery.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

pissing me off: that coworker that thinks "let me just give new guy with no clue domain admin rights because whelp why not :haw:"

now I have to go back and clean up poo poo all the time. the principal of least permissions exists cause of crap like this

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Urit posted:

Our entire deployment system is based on EBExtensions right now. It's as wonderful as you might imagine.

The best part is when EB just decides not to work that day because the machine is slow. No errors, it just doesn't run the extensions at all. Bonus points if it forgets to actually configure the CF template entirely (so there's no health check), and puts the machine into service with the Default Elastic Beanstalk page.

...and amazon was the company my previous employer really wanted to emulate.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

the spyder posted:

I just found out we have 200 DiD's because our former IT Manager did not believe in "extensions" :stonk:

We have about 14000 DIDs because e don't use extensions. For some reason. Whatever!

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

One thing the company I work for sells is batteries. Like ones for golf carts and motorcycles and poo poo like that. Well, one day a long time ago someone in purchasing found out we could SAVE MONEY by using some battery model we sold instead of the replacements from APC, so guess what we're running?

They're almost the same batteries so it might not be a big deal but it's a scary way to save a hundred bucks.

I know I am backquoting a but but this is fine. Yuasa or whatever are going to be just fine for SLA batteries. Just be careful wiring up a UPS. APC seems to run at like 48V , our liebert ones (small units, total poo poo) start at 144V. IIRC you need PPE over 70V DC.

Just remember: 3 - 5 years, less as you take more hits, and have more heat. Calibrate maybe once in there and monitor your poo poo. The UPS is more useful to you as a plug strip with dead batteries removed than busted or on fire with swollen batteries jammed in.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I really hate the fact that we have 3 companies operating under 1 roof. They want everything to be separate etc.

But only one company pays for all the hosting, equipment, software, etc. And then they come along and "Tom needs to see this folder in my email like Jill can."

Well, Tom isn't in _PARENT COMPANY_, Tom is in _SUBSIDIARY_, so we can't just give someone from another domain access to your email in Outlook like we can for your secretary.

Why does thecaller ID say _PARENT COMPANY_ when I call out? I want it to say _SUBSIDIARY_? Because you're using our phone lines and phone system for free, fucknut.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Aaand we can't have cell phones out at work anymore

Good Afternoon Team xxxxxxxxx,

Building Win-Win Partnerships is part of an over-all commitment to address issues and challenges that hinder us in reaching our Team xxxxxx business goals. One area businesses are being challenged; excessive personal cell phone/texting usage during working hours.

As much as we welcome new technology; the noticeable time spent on personal cell phones and texting during working hours is counterproductive to our completing tasks on a timely manner and moving the business forward. xxxxxxxx is implementing a three step approach as described below:

Associate Cell Phone and Texting Three Step Process:

Step 1) Associates are to refrain from using personal cell phones during working hours. Cell phones are to be turned off and keep out-of-sight (off desk, stored away). Use of personal cell phones are reserved for break and lunch areas.

Step 2) Reminder will be given to an associate still seen not complying.

Step 3) If compliance is still an issue, associate will be required to leave cell phone in their vehicle.

Please seek supervisors’ approval for a special circumstance involving the use of your personal cell phone during working hours. All associates may be reached via our main phone line for emergency type calls.

Thank you for your support and cooperation.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Out of all of the lovely poo poo my job dumps on me, the thing that makes me feel the most worthless might just be that my job title is "Support Associate."

:hfive:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

Building Win-Win Partnerships is part of an over-all commitment to address issues and challenges that hinder us in reaching our Team xxxxxx business goals. One area businesses are being challenged; excessive personal cell phone/texting usage during working hours.

As much as we welcome new technology; the noticeable time spent on personal cell phones and texting during working hours is counterproductive to our completing tasks on a timely manner and moving the business forward. xxxxxxxx is implementing a three step approach as described below:

Step 1) Associates are to refrain from using personal cell phones during working hours. Cell phones are to be turned off and keep out-of-sight (off desk, stored away). Use of personal cell phones are reserved for break and lunch areas.

Step 3) If compliance is still an issue, associate will be required to leave cell phone in their vehicle.

Please seek supervisors’ approval for a special circumstance involving the use of your personal cell phone during working hours. All associates may be reached via our main phone line for emergency type calls.

How is this a problem? Do your job and stop texting.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Treat my employees like responsible humans? Why,

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It seems like this was tried. I agree with Sir Jony, if people are on their phones to the point where it interferes with getting work done, then gently caress 'em.

The wording in that memo though, ugh.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Email and I'm not always at my desk. Also I like to listen to music at an appropriate level.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

If they were responsible, there'd be no reason to prohibit them from texting. I work in an extremely nice professional office building, right next door to the NYSE, and we have to deal with stuff like this in the bathroom:

Typically this guy flushes this nest and clogs the toilet, and also leaves piles of poop on the toilet paper, so much so there's a memo on the bathroom wall telling everyone to stop ruining the bathroom.

This is on a high up floor, behind a locked bathroom door.

Most people are idiots and when given an inch, will expect a mile.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

The wording in that memo though, ugh.

Please refrain from using your personal cell phone device during business hours; it decreases the productivity of employees.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

If they were responsible, there'd be no reason to prohibit them from texting. I work in an extremely nice professional office building, right next door to the NYSE, and we have to deal with stuff like this in the bathroom:

Typically this guy flushes this nest and clogs the toilet, and also leaves piles of poop on the toilet paper, so much so there's a memo on the bathroom wall telling everyone to stop ruining the bathroom.

This is on a high up floor, behind a locked bathroom door.

Install a toilet like at the airport that automatically lays out a new sheet of plastic wrap over the seat when you push the button.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

Install a toilet like at the airport that automatically lays out a new sheet of plastic wrap over the seat when you push the button.

Or you could you know:

Oh wait we tried that and they actually crap everywhere.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bob Morales posted:

Email and I'm not always at my desk. Also I like to listen to music at an appropriate level.

This seems like the kind of memo that would go out at a call center or retail.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Bob Morales posted:

I see you work at a middle school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
my wife has a business cleaning mainly upscale white collar offices and the poo poo they encounter in the bathroom makes spec bucket.txt look like a day in the park

seriously, people are loving filthy.