Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.

CancerStick posted:

With edge is it a pain/impossible trying to upgrade a line and transfer the phone to another line on the plan right away, or transfer the upgrade.

You can but it is kind of a pain. The phone has to be activated on the line the offer is on, then the old device put back and then can be activated on your line. It's a lot of gymnastics but can be done. There are sometimes issues where if the phone isn't activated on the line properly the edge discount never actually applies. They've smoothed most of those glitches out but I've seen it happen from time to time.

The $200 off the iPhone can be done on edge or 2yr pricing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

CancerStick posted:

With edge is it a pain/impossible trying to upgrade a line and transfer the phone to another line on the plan right away, or transfer the upgrade.

e: we have an older plan with two lines with 2 gb data allotments each. One of those is eligible. I have an unlimited line. I am willing to lose the unlimited and get a 10 GB more everything plan but I want to use the upgrade on the other line for mine. Unsure if edge is impossible according to that guy due to transferring phones or upgrades and just stick with the traditional two year plans.

And

The 200 off an iPhone isn't edge only, correct? My brother just upgraded three lines to iPhone 6's for $42 each and he isn't edge.

This was corporate store. I know #2 is bullshit so would like to know if #1 is before I proceed.

When you are on a 2-year contract cycle, you can do whats called an Alternate Upgrade. This is when line A had an upgrade, line B wants the new phone, so line A's contract gets extended, but the new phone goes to line B.

With edge, this option does not exist. On edge, because your upgrade date is tied to the particular phone, it's all line dependent.

However, it is technically possible. Say line A is on edge, line b is on 2-year. You put line As number onto another phone or onto a test device id, put As phone onto B, then put Bs phone onto A if you want. But this is a lot of convoluted bullshit that causes problems* down the road, and reps are specifically told not to do it, especially for people trying to keep unlimited.

*Oh looks it's time to edge up, but you gave your phone to your brother who moved away, but you trade in a similar phone and the rep didn't notice the device ids were different so the customer sent in the wrong phone was hit my a $300 fee

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, any idea why Advanced Calling doesn't work on my (replacement) Turbo? It took a couple days for the option to enable itself when I first got it, but, now that it has, it doesn't seem to always work. Sometimes the dialer will display the "updated" layout, but it drops to 1X when I make the call. Other times, it shows the older dialer layout (with the End Call bar all the way across). WTF

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I'm going to be travelling around the country shortly, and need to get myself a wifi hotspot with good coverage, which means I will be coming back to verizon :smith:.

I've been trying to figure out the most cost-effective way to do this. Currently I'm on T-mobile, can I port my number to google voice, go data-only for the hotspot, and then use the dataplan for calls/texts on my phone using Hangouts/Voice? Or does verizon go "Nope that uses up minutes and or texts you owe us money!"

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Check your emails friends :ninja:

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

surc posted:

I'm going to be travelling around the country shortly, and need to get myself a wifi hotspot with good coverage, which means I will be coming back to verizon :smith:.

I've been trying to figure out the most cost-effective way to do this. Currently I'm on T-mobile, can I port my number to google voice, go data-only for the hotspot, and then use the dataplan for calls/texts on my phone using Hangouts/Voice? Or does verizon go "Nope that uses up minutes and or texts you owe us money!"

Hotspot data is whatever you want it to be. If you run google voice on your hotspot then it uses data.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Cool, thanks!

Raveen
Jul 18, 2004
So, a quick question to see if I have figured out the right thing to do since my family wants smart phones. I am bundled with my parents phone plan, they both have dumb phones and I have an old Samsung smart phone with unlimited data but only use like half a gig on average. My girlfriend is on verizon with her own plan on a dumbphone.

I am thinking that best thing to do is have all of us on my moms account since gets a 22% employee discount, and have us all on the Edge plan sharing the 10 or 6 Gb data plan. The $25 in off line access monthly savings all most covers the Edge plan cost for an Iphone, and there would also be no upgrade or access fees. None of us are real phone fanatics and don't need the newest thing. Instead of doing Verizon insurance we would get the 99$ extended apple care.

Is this the right thing to do?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My wife had called into Verizon 2 months ago to set up the $20 less a month deal that Verizon announced.

After talking with a CSR, the rep said that we could get $20 off without any problem. Last week, we noticed that the discount had not been applied. My wife calls in again and is told by another rep that we are on the wrong type of plan and are not eligible for the discount. I guess we are on the nationwide and she said that we needed to be on the More Everything.

My wife talked with the rep and asked to have a manager review the previous call to see that she was offered this discount. (She has worked in phone CSR service for the last 7 years). We are waiting for a callback but I am wondering if we are going to even get one.

We currently have unlimited talk and text and we each get 2GB of data. Would a more everything plan be cheaper for us to switch to?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Raveen posted:

Is this the right thing to do?

Probably, if your parents really want smartphone. That said, I would try to get the newest iPhone since it will receive updates longer. Also, remember that you mom will be responsible for your girlfriend's phone if you break up, so she maybe should have her own plan.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

We currently have unlimited talk and text and we each get 2GB of data. Would a more everything plan be cheaper for us to switch to?

Probably? Grab a calculator and compare your bill to the More Everything plan on the website. You didn't say how much your current plan costs and if you're off contract.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
When abroad and the local carrier SIM isn't automatically working, why doesn't Verizon just tell the person it's probably an APN issue? They give a line about how they can't provide customer service for another carrier, but it's super clear:

A) You're a Verizon customer vacationing in an area that doesn't have Verizon. You couldn't use this to hop carriers in the US anyway usefully due to LTE band restrictions.
B) Nobody wants to pay for their stupid global program just like nobody wanted any of their bad proprietary programs, crippled phones, etc...
C) There's no customer service cost to them in terms of time. You just have a canned response (like everything else) to the user how it's an APN problem and they Google the rest.

Verizon knows the answer, and it's a super simple one. They're just assholes about it, and this is another reason why US telecoms on the net neutrality issue have transcended to a level where the general public trusts and likes the government more than their internet and wireless provider. Now, that's impressive.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Mainly because they just don't want to deal with it. If you're not using their network they simply DGAF.

Having been in a support role in the past, I can identify. Customers are loving morons as a general rule.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
My contract just finished up. I'm on 4 gig more everything plan. I have an S4. My wife has an iphone 5. Mother in law has a dumb phone. Is there anything I can do to get a better discount now that my contract is up? Or is it only a discount when you own your phone when you're on edge? I don't care to get new phones at the moment.

Hdip fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 1, 2015

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Does your contact end at your upgrade date? I want out of Verizon but can't tell when my contract is up without talking to a human being.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

New Leaf posted:

Does your contact end at your upgrade date? I want out of Verizon but can't tell when my contract is up without talking to a human being.

Not that talking to strangers on the phone is scary but:

login to verizon site -> My Verizon tab -> My Account -> My Plans and Services

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

benisntfunny posted:

Not that talking to strangers on the phone is scary but:

login to verizon site -> My Verizon tab -> My Account -> My Plans and Services

Haha I know it's not, I'm just at work and didn't want to bother with sitting on hold for a while just for someone to try to talk me out of canceling.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I'm thinking about jumping ship and going to Project-Fi. We are currently on a family plan with 2 smartphones and unlimited data on both.

If I jump ship, will switching my wife's from family to single kill her unlimited data?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

JayKay posted:

I'm thinking about jumping ship and going to Project-Fi. We are currently on a family plan with 2 smartphones and unlimited data on both.

If I jump ship, will switching my wife's from family to single kill her unlimited data?

Probably.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

JayKay posted:

How much data do you use that project fi would actually be cheaper?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Giving in and installing 5.1 on my Turbo. We'll see how it goes!

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

lampey posted:

How much data do you use that project fi would actually be cheaper?

My average was 7-8 GB (with some months in the 15+ range) but due to a position change at work, I'm now using 4-5 GB.

Right now we are paying about $148 after taxes and employee discount. We are seriously considering going to T-Mobile once my wife's contact is up in October since we can get unlimited everything for about $100+taxes and fees.

I was considering Project Fi since my invite just came in :v: However it seems like just waiting till the wife's contact is up and both of us switching to T-Mobile is more economical.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

FordPRefectLL posted:

Giving in and installing 5.1 on my Turbo. We'll see how it goes!

So far, it's been pretty awesome. I usually do a factory reset after a big update like this, and haven't yet. And still working great.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
My company has offered to add my phone and tablet to the company Verizon plan. I own both out right, would it be a poo poo storm to get them off the company plan at a later date?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

One thing I've noticed (and wondering if anyone else is experiencing this) -- when I restart my Turbo with 5.1 it stays on the "DROID" splash screen a long time. It's not a big deal, just an observation.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I haven't experienced that, but I did a factory reset after the update. The reset itself did take a rather long time to complete though. The pop-up that says "Resetting, please wait" was there for probably 10 minutes before the phone turned off.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

My standby time on the Droid Turbo with 5.1

:eyepop:

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 4, 2015

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

FordPRefectLL posted:

I can't read the text on that picture, please make it bigger.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

i just wanted you to see how huge my new battery life is

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

FordPRefectLL posted:

They finally push the ota or sideload? Also what app is that? Also, is there a stat for hotspot usage ?

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

Blinkman987 posted:

Verizon knows the answer, and it's a super simple one. They're just assholes about it, and this is another reason why US telecoms on the net neutrality issue have transcended to a level where the general public trusts and likes the government more than their internet and wireless provider. Now, that's impressive.

You made an incredible argument as to why it is not Verizon's problem...then blame Verizon anyways. This represents the majority of calls I take.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

You made an incredible argument as to why it is not Verizon's problem...then blame Verizon anyways. This represents the majority of calls I take.

:laugh:

His post was about Verizon's customer service being bad because their response to him calling in with a problem was to say "It is not Verizon's problem" instead of try and help him.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

surc fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 4, 2015

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

surc posted:

:laugh:

His post was about Verizon's customer service being bad because their response to him calling in with a problem was to say "It is not Verizon's problem" instead of try and help him.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Tee hee hee what jerks we are.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

FordPRefectLL posted:

i just wanted you to see how huge my new battery life is
I thought mine was getting worse battery life at ~50% after a day or so with 5.1 but then I realized it was at 7hrs screen on time thanks to ebooks :eyepop:

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

Tee hee hee what jerks we are.

Much like I'm pretty sure you missed the point of that other dude's post, you also totally missed the point of my post to turn it into some weird personal insult against you and/or other people who work in Verizon support (lovely customer support != customer support people are bad people). I'm pretty sure you're gonna keep doing that, so I will just recommend that it is probably not healthy to keep tying your personal ego in with your companies lovely policies, because people dislike lovely policies.

surc fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 5, 2015

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Going to ask a dumb question.

Will we ever see unlimited data on Verizon again?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

yes that is a dumb question

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

FordPRefectLL posted:

Worth the upgrade? I got the popup for the OTA today but told it maybe later because I'd heard poo poo about issues with Lollipop in other threads.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Worth the upgrade? I got the popup for the OTA today but told it maybe later because I'd heard poo poo about issues with Lollipop in other threads.

yes absolutely

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

5.1 seems to have fixed just about every gripe i have with the phone

i didn't take a screenshot but i drove 5 hours with gps/waze on and the screen on a speedometer app yesterday and my battery was at 40% when i got home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

FordPRefectLL posted:

5.1 seems to have fixed just about every gripe i have with the phone

i didn't take a screenshot but i drove 5 hours with gps/waze on and the screen on a speedometer app yesterday and my battery was at 40% when i got home

:stare: Jesus christ. And the thing had really good battery life before.

Did you factory reset (or clear cache), or just go with it?

• Locked thread