Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

pksage posted:

Bismarck EX is pretty fun! Nice to see DPS checks like that in currently-relevant content. Shame it'll be a joke when we're i210, or whatever.

The dps check is already a joke. My static is in mostly Library gear and we cleared it in a few attempts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Riftling posted:

I like how I have zero incentive to do the DRG 58 or 60 quests for the abilities. Why, yes, I would like a weird AoE I can use once in a blue moon and an ability that's only purpose is to add randomization to my rotation. Seriously.

:laffo: thanks goon, see you in duty finder sometime

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
People talking about the new job quest lines have made me sad of what the smn ones have been so far (through 54). It is just investigating attacks that seem to be perpetrated by the guy whose butt you kicked in the 50 job quest. He does seem to be working to summon an actual primal, so I hope it picks up.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

biopanda posted:

YES! Valicious Crisu IGN
There's one other goon that I know of, but it's pretty much devoid of goons. You in an FC? I started one if need one.

Grant Farglen IGN. I can't add you because your not online because SE's friend system is garbage, but i'll be on all night if you wanna add me. I'm in GHOST. Been with them since beta as an officer since it sprung out of my home forum

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Farg posted:

Are there any goons on sarg?

I'm Kyani Jawantal on Sargantanas, as a matter of fact!

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
My first Ravana HM had the Black Mage pull the moment we stepped into the arena and the other tank was a DRK who had clearly never tanked before and was brain dead. We wiped five times due to DPS not killing butterflies fast enough before I quit. Waited my 30 minute penalty and requeued to a group who killed it on one shot.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

pksage posted:

Resubbing to this thread now that the 3.0 postspam has died down a bit, glad to see over the last page or two that nothing has changed.

In anything synced above 50, including leveling dungeons like The Aery, the difference between a good DPS and a bad DPS is so much more pronounced than it used to be. Maybe one in five roulettes has a pubbie DPS that gets anywhere near me (DRG), and it's not uncommon for randoms to deal like half my DPS or less. And this is independent of the whole MCH/BRD issue, which is totally real (I regularly leave our static's BRD, who isn't a top-10%-of-raiders BRD but still got the job done, in the dust). I really, really want an in-game DPS meter of some kind, even if it's not numbers-based. How hard would it be to give us an icon for each player that glows to show their DPS relative to the best DPS in the party? Green = top DPS or within 15% of top DPS. Yellow = within 15% and 30% of top DPS. Orange = within 30% and 50% of top DPS. Red = below 50% of top DPS. I think "try to keep this little bar green" is something most players could grasp.

Bismarck EX is pretty fun! Nice to see DPS checks like that in currently-relevant content. Shame it'll be a joke when we're i210, or whatever.

This times 1000, so true. Just give us a drat dps meter in game.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I would also like a DPS meter or indicator of some sort, as someone who currently has no idea how well they're doing at hitting numbers in order. Even a training dummy with feedback would be good.

The new BLM damage-boosting mechanic is kind of interesting though; I've started using Blizz 4 instead of Thunder 2 during regen when I have that buff up (though if I accidentally let it go, which happens pretty often since I'm still learning the timing, I'll use a Thunder 2 as a backup during MP regen). Interested to see how Fire 4 affects it, once I unlock that...

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Khisanth Magus posted:

People talking about the new job quest lines have made me sad of what the smn ones have been so far (through 54). It is just investigating attacks that seem to be perpetrated by the guy whose butt you kicked in the 50 job quest. He does seem to be working to summon an actual primal, so I hope it picks up.

I liked them, at least. You find out a bit about the lower-ranking Ascians (that is, the ones called "Ascian of the Nth Whatever"), and the level 58 quest is quite enjoyable.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

This times 1000, so true. Just give us a drat dps meter in game.

I'd rather deal with the lovely dps than the "hey post meters" WoW attitude damage meters bring with them.

Also they don't make bad dps better, so I'd be dealing with both issues instead of the one.

It's not like it is impossible to get your dps numbers if you really care.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Doublestep posted:

The dps check is already a joke. My static is in mostly Library gear and we cleared it in a few attempts

PF is an exercise in abuse. Finding a pair of competent tanks is far harder than finding DPS who aren't completely awful (though it's still a challenge).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

vOv posted:

Final trial mechanics question: At the end of the giant KotR sequence, there's some attack that tries to push you out of the center. Does getting knocked away actually do anything, or is it just to make a bit harder to stand in Sacred Soil?

It pushes people back and does damage, and the pushback makes it harder for the healers to heal. If it was actually a hard fight, that would be pretty scary right before the big raid-wide damage.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

vanbags posted:

Is there any way to turn real life dollars into gil that doesn't involve the potential of getting banned? Can you trade the mounts bought from the store?

Someone in DGKK just mentioned buying a ton of materia on another server and offloading it on Excalibur for twice the original price. So if you have a large enough amount of starting gil and the patience to track markets, you could probable make a killing transferring materials between servers...?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Minrad posted:

Someone in DGKK just mentioned buying a ton of materia on another server and offloading it on Excalibur for twice the original price. So if you have a large enough amount of starting gil and the patience to track markets, you could probable make a killing transferring materials between servers...?

I'm pretty sure just buying gil would be cheaper for the amount of effort you put into it.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Khisanth Magus posted:

They taunted me with the idea of a Ramuh Egi and then immediately crushed my dreams of the beardiest summon. I cannot forgive the post-50 SMN questline.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Any goons in midgardsormr?

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

Verranicus posted:

Can anyone please explain the collectable system? A goon in the LS said I should have access to it as a 50 BTN/MIN/FSH but I don't see anything in my skills and traits and the only quest related to it in Mor Dhona says I need to be level 56?

Also, is there anywhere online that lists the new unspoiled nodes locations and requirements?

(disclaimer: I haven't capped anything yet!)

Gathering collectables is a neat way to level up your gathering classes, as you can do so without spending leves. In addition, you can earn scrips which you can use to buy gear and advance without having to spend millions of gil on materia to meld up to higher levels.

Do the quest "Inscrutable Tastes" from the leve stand in Ishgard and you'll be able to access the Collectables actions as well as Rowena's daily supply list. The collectable actions for gatherers are Collector's Glove, Methodical Appraisal, and Discerning Eye at level 50, and you'll get more as you level up.

All collectables are only found in the new unspoiled nodes in the Heavensward areas, which activate twice an ingame day and for only an hour each time. You will need to be level 51 or higher to be able to see these nodes. If you want to find out which collectables you need, check out the House of Splendors daily list which is accessible from the Collectables Appraiser in Mor Dhona or from the Ctrl-U timers list. Remember that you can turn in an infinite amount of these collectibles every day, provided they all meet the requirements.

To get collectables, you'll need to use the Collector's Glove ability. It's a toggle that will open up the collector's interface when you attempt to gather something that can be gathered as a collectable (you won't be able to gather anything that can't be collected while you have Collector's Eye toggled.) Start with Toil first to reveal the node first - you'll need to save the node's durability.

This appears after you start gathering with Collector's Glove on. Your new ability Methodical Appraisal (and Instinctual Appraisal later, as well as many others) will increase the Rarity bar, as well as the Wear value. A Wear of over the maximum drastically reduces your gathering chance, so don't perform too many appraisal actions. Each ability also decreases the durability of the rock too, so make sure you keep an eye on that. Once you've appraised it to your liking, hit Collect until the rock breaks.

Your goal is to hit the minimum Rarity value that Rowena's traders will accept, which is 240 for the first ones, and 400 for higher-level gathers. Higher rarities will give you a bonus as well, but don't expect to hit them until you get some better gear. At first, you'll only be able to gather Yellow Copper Ore (spawns 12:00 PM and AM in Coerthas Western) for Miners and Old World Figs (spawns 2:00 PM and 2:00 AM in Dravanian Forelands) for Botanists. There is a decent list of new nodes at ffxivclock.com.

This sounds complicated, but it's really not. For beginner collectors, it goes:

Level 51 -> 12/2 PM/AM -> Collector's Glove -> Gather item -> Methodical Appraisal until 240 rarity -> Collect until rock is broken -> Turn in at Mor Dhona.

This will get more complicated as you gain levels, but you get the idea. Gathers higher than level 56 will earn you blue gathering scrips as well as exp, which can get you level 58 gathering gear. Red scrips will probably get you better gear, but aren't in the game yet (and have a weekly cap.)

What'd I miss? Oh yeah, Fishing. Use Collect, cast your line, and pray.

Wonder Turbine fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 29, 2015

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
what the gently caress crafting is complicated

i thought it was just like wow crafting, namely really stupid and boring and dumb

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

what the gently caress crafting is complicated

i thought it was just like wow crafting, namely really stupid and boring and dumb

yeah, turns out its like, mad crazy. no joke

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

onesixtwo posted:

:laffo: thanks goon, see you in duty finder sometime

:patriot:

a hero for the ages

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Eej posted:

I'm pretty sure just buying gil would be cheaper for the amount of effort you put into it.

well yeah, but he wanted a safe way to turn money into gil, and afaik they're really good about cracking down on gil sales and transfers. remember ARR launch when anyone who moved more than like a million gil to prep for housing or sell relic runs or anything else got bans?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Obligatum VII posted:

They taunted me with the idea of a Ramuh Egi and then immediately crushed my dreams of the beardiest summon. I cannot forgive the post-50 SMN questline.

Yoshi-p said egi glamours are coming soon. You'll get your little beard dad.

My guess for first batch is Leviathan/Melee, Shiva/Tank, and Ramuh/Ranged

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Tensokuu posted:

My first Ravana HM had the Black Mage pull the moment we stepped into the arena and the other tank was a DRK who had clearly never tanked before and was brain dead. We wiped five times due to DPS not killing butterflies fast enough before I quit. Waited my 30 minute penalty and requeued to a group who killed it on one shot.

I had a group that somehow only had one blade spawn, then I guess all the 'good' dps flew off the edge when 3 people died to the first knockback, and the fight took another 12 minutes to complete past that. Ravana really, REALLY sucks to heal when the other healer gets himself killed and Ravana has over 10 stacks of the damage buff!

Blockhouse posted:

It sucks all the egis are silent. I'd kill for a squeeky Ravana-egi that yelled "To war!" and "Fight on!" every time he attacked something. :3:

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Blockhouse posted:

My guess for first batch is Leviathan/Melee, Shiva/Tank, and Ramuh/Ranged

The one I'm wondering about is what the hell Primal is Onyx Carbuncle a counterpart to?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Farg posted:

yeah, turns out its like, mad crazy. no joke

I've yet to see an MMO make crafting not-retarded. Maybe I'll look into it here, too.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

I've yet to see an MMO make crafting not-retarded. Maybe I'll look into it here, too.
oh cool. our crafting isn't retarded, but it is in fact terrifying. a monstrous, nightmarish mountain

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Starting crafting from 0 is the fuckin aggro crag of ffxiv.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm afraid to start crafting because I know how it's all interconnected and I won't want to buy things from other players so I'll end up leveling every gathering and crafting class to 60 while salling on the plot for all eternity.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Can you solo any of the clan hunts dailies?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm afraid to start crafting because I know how it's all interconnected and I won't want to buy things from other players so I'll end up leveling every gathering and crafting class to 60 while salling on the plot for all eternity.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If my crafters are all wearing AF and one-star gear without melds, will I be able to start leveling them up? I've heard level 51 crafts are brutal.

TKImpulse
Oct 21, 2009

Wonder Turbine posted:

[...] You will need to be level 51 or higher to be able to see these nodes [..]

You don't need to be 51, I was collecting a level 50 turnin as botanist at 50.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

Vanguard saga of heros had a great crafting system

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

You should be easily able to solo any of them that you have unlocked, at or above the level you unlock it (53, 56, and 59 respectively for tiers 1, 2, and 3). In other words, the tier 1 dailies shouldn't give you any mobs higher than ~53, and the tier 2 shouldn't give you any mobs higher than ~56. (They are all perfectly capable of giving you relatively wimpy level 50 mobs as some of the targets.)

On later jobs as you level them, you can solo some or all higher-tier dailies too, though this will depend somewhat on job and gear, and chocobro will be closer to a requirement than a convenience. For example, my WHM was killing level 59 targets with chocobro's help (and some caution) at level 52.

The weekly B rank target (unlocked at 60) is an easy solo with chocobro at 60.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
why did square enix make the "decline raise" button show up at the same place the "wait for raise" button is

why would you do that

why would you make me ruin this boss run like that square

e: this party already hates me for (1) dying and (2) accidentally walling myself off from the second boss, so I might as well just disconnect

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 29, 2015

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Thumbtacks posted:

The cooking system in Guild Wars 2.

e: though in retrospect i guess it'd be hard to find videos that will make it look good since you'll probably just get 1-400 power leveling guides.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

If my crafters are all wearing AF and one-star gear without melds, will I be able to start leveling them up? I've heard level 51 crafts are brutal.

Completing them won't be a problem. HQ is likely not within your reach, though.

Tenzarin posted:

I do all 15 mark bills on my 50-52 WAR for the XP. As long as you have a chocobo healer it's not difficult at all.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

nuru posted:

Completing them won't be a problem. HQ is likely not within your reach, though.

I do all 15 mark bills on my 50-52 WAR for the XP. As long as you have a chocobo healer it's not difficult at all.

It's been ages since I played, how do you summon your mount to help?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

RC Cola posted:

It's been ages since I played, how do you summon your mount to help?

Buy some Gyshal greens, use them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

To piggyback this question, is there a good guide to 50 crafting? I leveled everything early in 2.0 and never touched it since I took a break after Twintania and the AK grind burned me out pretty hard, and now a year later I look at the five thousand crafting abilities on top of the new systems in HW and :psyduck:

• Locked thread