Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

I'm sure it would have been great if he had more control over it.

What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

He was making what is commonly referred to as a joke.

See also: sarcasm

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I said that the guy directing said he had full control, and he said "I'm sure it would've been better if he had more control". So either he's referring to the director which doesn't make sense, or Adam Sandler which also doesn't make sense. So I don't understand.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I may come off as a pedantic idiot, but hell, I'm getting to the bottom of this!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

"I'm sure it would've been better if [Adam Sandler] had more control, lol. JUST KIDDING THIS REMARK WAS MADE WITH FULL USE OF THE SARCASTIC TONE."

If the above is hard to understand, you should seriously consider whether you are afflicted with Asperger's.

e: the above statement is NOT sarcasm.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
There's no need to be so rude, I just wanted to make sure I got the joke, and I guess I did. The conversation went, "this is a typical Adam Sandler movie" - > "Actual I heard the director had like complete control" - >"Not like Adam Sandler having control would improve it!"
I stand by my noble posts, till the day I die.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Antarctica: A Year On Ice is great and worth a watch. It's a good look at what happens day to day on an Antarctic base, and the part about antarctic winters is really loving cool. There's entire months of darkness out there that people live and work in and it's cool to see what that does to people.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Wilhelm Scream posted:

I didn't hate The Cobbler but there's such a low bar with Sandler movies and this isn't even close to his worst (which is Zohan).

Look at this innocent soul who hasn't seen this thing. This is literally the worst movie I have ever seen.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096870/

Cool Dad fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 29, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Every Adam Sandler movie that's not a weird outlier like Funny People or Punch Drunk Love is the worst in its own special way.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
While I think Punch Drunk Love is easily his best, I still think that The Wedding Singer holds up and is the most enjoyable movie from his original popularity.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Antarctica: A Year On Ice is great and worth a watch. It's a good look at what happens day to day on an Antarctic base, and the part about antarctic winters is really loving cool. There's entire months of darkness out there that people live and work in and it's cool to see what that does to people.

Yup. Posted about this recently. Beautiful scenery and a fun little documentary that isn't environmental or political doom and gloom. Just examining how people live and adapt in a crazy environment.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Gilok posted:

Look at this innocent soul who hasn't seen this thing. This is literally the worst movie I have ever seen.

I've managed to and, hopefully, will continue to avoid this.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Click hit me a lot harder than I had imagined going in.

Whiplash is up in Canada. I haven't seen it, but heard it was rather great.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Turambar posted:

Click hit me a lot harder than I had imagined going in.

Whiplash is up in Canada. I haven't seen it, but heard it was rather great.

I thought Click was surprisingly good as well. Then I realized that if it had come from Ben Stiller or Simon Pegg I would have thought it was crap. So I guess Click is just good compared to everything else Sandler does.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I don't know if you guys know this but there's this movie on netflix that's going away on wednesday. It's called Terminator 2 and you should probably go see it if you haven't.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

I don't know if you guys know this but there's this movie on netflix that's going away on wednesday. It's called Terminator 2 and you should probably go see it if you haven't.

It'll be back

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Stairmaster posted:

I actually rewatched this last night. Is the film missing some music or was the whole dirtbike chase scene really done with that minimal, low-volume, not-very-exciting score?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Stairmaster posted:

Prepare yourself for the new one! :w00t:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Gilok posted:

Going Overboard is a hell of a lot more entertaining than most of the stuff Sandler's put out in the past decade and a half, not least because of how honest his character is about the film's limitations.

umbrellar
Nov 6, 2011
Tonight's probably the night I let Taxi Driver expire from my queue unwatched for what must be its third time on-and-off Netflix. Dunno why I can never get in the mood to put it on.

E: Just gonna watch the rest of Orange is the New Black instead. Cause there's totally a time limit on that.

umbrellar fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 30, 2015

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yo, toss me some show recommendations - Orphan Black just ended its season, I just blitzed through Sense8, and I’m debating a rewatch of Lost but before that I’d love to know if anyone could recommend some shows that are similar to those three - dramas with overarching arcs and a supernatural/sci-fi mystery-type bent. If it’s available for streaming on Netflix US or Amazon Prime Video that’d be preferable, but any recommendations would be nice.

I’m starting to go through the X-Files since I’ve never watched more than a few eps and I’m liking it, though it’s definitely a lot less serialized than I’m looking for. Twin Peaks works, but that's mostly its own thing really.

Of course, the worst thing that can happen to a show like this is to have it be cancelled before it resolves well so tell me if it doesn't so I don't end up hosed over!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Maybe try The Returned.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

flatluigi posted:

Yo, toss me some show recommendations - Orphan Black just ended its season, I just blitzed through Sense8, and I’m debating a rewatch of Lost but before that I’d love to know if anyone could recommend some shows that are similar to those three - dramas with overarching arcs and a supernatural/sci-fi mystery-type bent. If it’s available for streaming on Netflix US or Amazon Prime Video that’d be preferable, but any recommendations would be nice.

I’m starting to go through the X-Files since I’ve never watched more than a few eps and I’m liking it, though it’s definitely a lot less serialized than I’m looking for. Twin Peaks works, but that's mostly its own thing really.

Of course, the worst thing that can happen to a show like this is to have it be cancelled before it resolves well so tell me if it doesn't so I don't end up hosed over!

Fringe sounds like it'd be up your alley. Starts off pretty episodic, like X-Files, but becomes more serialized starting later in season one. I also strongly recommend The Returned, a French series that has one season up on Netflix, about a town where the dead begin mysteriously reappearing. Season 2 airs later this year.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

umbrellar posted:

Tonight's probably the night I let Taxi Driver expire from my queue unwatched for what must be its third time on-and-off Netflix. Dunno why I can never get in the mood to put it on.

E: Just gonna watch the rest of Orange is the New Black instead. Cause there's totally a time limit on that.

Like turning down a USDA Prime ribeye for a white castle

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

flatluigi posted:

Perhaps a bit obvious but have you tried Supernatural?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Franchescanado posted:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

When I was a junior in college my two favorite professors both independently recommended that I watch Buffy and they were both right. The first season is a little hokey but oh the places it goes.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Seen all of Buffy (and Angel), but good recommendations. Fringe has been on my to-watch for ages, I should move that up.

King of Bleh posted:

Perhaps a bit obvious but have you tried Supernatural?

I've heard really iffy things about that show, particularly how it treats like every female character ever so I've pushed it off. I'd probably rewatch Charmed to laugh at it before Supernatural.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

umbrellar posted:

Watch Taxi Driver

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

magnificent7 posted:

Just watched to music documentaries back to back:

The Bob Weir one, "The Other One", was good. I never really liked the Grateful Dead, and never had any interest to want to like them, so I expected that I'd not enjoy the movie. But I did, so, that was decent. Still didn't win me over on their music, but I love a music documentary.

So, both are good. If you like the Dead, I can't imagine that you haven't already seen The Other One.

Seriously. Go watch that poo poo.
After suffering through living with a Dead-head for a while, and repeatedly hearing about the instances where Bob Weir had recently OD'd and passed out on stage, yeah, move along nothing to see here folks.

If you want to see a documentary about a self destructive musician watch Who Is Harry Nilsson (and Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him?), at least he created something interesting and novel instead of being a ghoul making money off a bunch of mentally disabled consumers.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I don't know why I've never watched Danger 5 before. 3 episodes in and I'm convinced it's the greatest thing ever made.

If you haven't watched it, do so. But above all, KILL HITLER.

Gnome de plume fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 30, 2015

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

This had been in my queue for almost a year and it going away finally got me around to watching it the other day. Why did I wait so long?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

coyo7e posted:

After suffering through living with a Dead-head for a while, and repeatedly hearing about the instances where Bob Weir had recently OD'd and passed out on stage, yeah, move along nothing to see here folks.

If you want to see a documentary about a self destructive musician watch Who Is Harry Nilsson (and Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him?), at least he created something interesting and novel instead of being a ghoul making money off a bunch of mentally disabled consumers.

Are you sure you're thinking of Bob Weir and not Jerry Garcia? I just watched The Other One and while I don't like the Dead's music, Bob Weir came across as a great guy and it was a fun documentary, and the only drugs he was into (as far as I know) were acid, weed, alcohol, etc. There's definitely nothing in the doc about him OD'ing ever. Googling "Bob Weir OD" only brought up some semi-recent stuff. Whether it's true or not, the documentary doesn't portray Weir as self-destructive at all, quite the opposite. There is a big chunk where it suddenly becomes "Jerry Garcia is hosed up" near the end, though.

All that said, Beware of Mr. Baker is a much better musician documentary on Netflix. Ginger Baker is insane and amazing.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Are you sure you're thinking of Bob Weir and not Jerry Garcia? I just watched The Other One and while I don't like the Dead's music, Bob Weir came across as a great guy and it was a fun documentary, and the only drugs he was into (as far as I know) were acid, weed, alcohol, etc. There's definitely nothing in the doc about him OD'ing ever. Googling "Bob Weir OD" only brought up some semi-recent stuff. Whether it's true or not, the documentary doesn't portray Weir as self-destructive at all, quite the opposite. There is a big chunk where it suddenly becomes "Jerry Garcia is hosed up" near the end, though.

All that said, Beware of Mr. Baker is a much better musician documentary on Netflix. Ginger Baker is insane and amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPPVFx8vaPo

But yeah, The Other One was interesting enough for someone with only a passing interest in The Grateful Dead.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Bunk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPPVFx8vaPo

But yeah, The Other One was interesting enough for someone with only a passing interest in The Grateful Dead.

I think that clip only proves my point, because that clip is clearly post-Jerry's death, though? :confused:

To make this post slightly less pointless, here is Bob Weir being awesome in the 80s, helping Bongwater cover Roky Erickson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbw7NJLWPw4

precision fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 30, 2015

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

I think that clip only proves my point, because that clip is clearly post-Jerry's death, though? :confused:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbw7NJLWPw4

Yeah, I just assumed that's the clip coyo7e was talking about so I figured I'd post it, not to correct you or anything.

Anyway, if you watched The Last Waltz and wanted more Levon there's a doc about him called Ain't In It For My Health that isn't on the same level but still had some nice (and some loving heartbreaking) moments.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

flatluigi posted:

Have you checked out Continuum or The 100? The 100 really reminded me of Lost, 100 prisoners from a space station are sent to earth to crash land in the jungle, to find out if it's habitable and/or if they're not alone. Declan from Lost is on it. Continuum is kind of an anti-terminator where a group of future terrorists on death row conspire to travel back to the present to gently caress poo poo up and one (hot) cop gets sucked into their temporal displacement field and follows them. It was planned as a 6 season arc but it's been cancelled at season 4, fortunately the writers are going to wrap it up according to their original plan, just with a compressed story.

Also I will never stop recommending Terriers, there's nothing supernatural about it, it's just a detective mystery show that got cancelled after one season, so it's a tight 13 episode arc with light comedy throughout. And while the main character is a noir trope (ex cop private detective on the wagon, still in love with his ex wife), there's very little cliché throughout the rest of the characters or story.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 30, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

precision posted:

"The Weir" has had some serious ups and downs. He bounces in and out of rehabs enough that for true deadheads it's a bit of a "oh crazy uncle ralph :rolleyes: " thing. It fucks up their weekly streaming of whatever place Weir and co are playing a show, when he goes back to rehab. I know some people who are really into the Dead.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Anyone seen Dragons: Race to the Edge yet? I love the how to train your dragon movies (yes I'm a child shut up), didn't really watch the riders of berk series (tried watching before I watched either movie, wasn't much intrigued), was wondering if anyone who liked the movies had an opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Pander posted:

Anyone seen Dragons: Race to the Edge yet? I love the how to train your dragon movies (yes I'm a child shut up), didn't really watch the riders of berk series (tried watching before I watched either movie, wasn't much intrigued), was wondering if anyone who liked the movies had an opinion.

I watched a few episodes with my kid this morning (no judgment), and it's nothing special. I think Jay Baruchel is the only holdover from the cast, and there are a few spectacularly bad Scottish accents in there. I think Fisto or whatever Hiccup's dad's name is still alive for some reason. I don't know, it was early.

For the record, we enjoyed Rider's of Berk just fine, ie it didn't annoy me when it was on. They seemed to maintain the spirit of the movie decently enough for a TV spinoff.