Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ddraig posted:

Other logical jumping off points for the crusade against unethical practices:

Jeff Gerstmann being fired from Gamespot for not respecting payola.
Nintendo literally doing what Hepler suggested and allowing parts of games to be skipped
Grand Theft Auto 4's Review Buying
Bethesda's Metacritic bonus scandal
Day-0 patches and DLC content locked on discs
Game developers blatantly lying about games
Peter Molyneux' entire career (may be related to the last one)
Doritos and Dew having an inordinate amount of influence in the gaming world (sponsors in general, but these are the two largest)

Any of these would have been a more logical, well-reasoned and justified starting point than "Woman has sex"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWEiccW5l4Q

I miss the old days when Gaming Journalism was simply the punchline of a joke instead of a hot new angle to fight the kulturkampf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Broniki posted:

Where in the Zoe Post does Eron write about "how her slutyness was ruining games journalism." The five guys being games journalists is not the same as Eron making a statement about industry corruption.

I asked a really simple question and none of you can answer it. So what I want to know is, are you all ignorant, or malicious?

Wait, are you defending GG while being dismissive of the very thing that started the whole movement?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ddraig posted:

Nintendo literally doing what Hepler suggested and allowing parts of games to be skipped

I am familiar with the rest, but what were these about?

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Equeen posted:

Wait, are you defending GG while being dismissive of the very thing that started the whole movement?

How do you dismiss something that isn't real?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Ddraig posted:

Other logical jumping off points for the crusade against unethical practices:

Jeff Gerstmann being fired from Gamespot for not respecting payola.
Bethesda's Metacritic bonus scandal
Day-0 patches and DLC content locked on discs
Game developers blatantly lying about games
Peter Molyneux' entire career (may be related to the last one)
Doritos and Dew having an inordinate amount of influence in the gaming world (sponsors in general, but these are the two largest)

Any of these would have been a more logical, well-reasoned and justified starting point than "Woman has sex"

While I worked there, EA literally had a marketing policy that timed the buying of ads in trade magazines with upcoming reviews. This is the same problem that automotive or any other product journalists have; their advertisers are the people that they're reviewing. This creates an absolutely insurmountable conflict of interest. Depending on their revenue model, some 'indie' journalists may or may not be susceptible to this, but if they aren't, they lack access, and bring nothing to the table that just reading user reviews don't. There isn't any way to ever improve games journalism beyond its current state, this is the natural shape of the market, and that GGers don't realize this is part of what's funny about them.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

botany posted:

What was the gossip about?

For the most part:

Dude X: hey so Zoe Quinn's being harasses, we should co-sign a public statement of support & not give air to these idiots, y/n
Dude y: ok
Dude Z: nah

The guy who leaked the existence of the newsgroup had an axe to grind with his former editor: basically, some woman asked the internet to pay for surgery to "remove shrapnel", he claimed she really wanted the money for a sex change operation, his editor consulted people on this newsgroup about whether he should be fired for transphobia? something like that, I don't feel like looking it up and I can't imagine any of the online summaries are credible.

Hadaka Apron posted:

Here's something I don't understand- why didn't all of the harassment that Chris-Chan got ever receive national attention?

How do you even communicate a situation like his to people who aren't already acclimatised to all the horseshit that festers on the internet? A lot of people simply can't parse the idea of large-scale anonymous harassment or understand why people can't just "turn off their computers" or whatever, so scenarios like "mentally-stunted guy has had his entire life turned into a grotesque truman show by a mob of slightly less stunted guys" don't even register as real.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Eron Gjoni's sad 9200 word outline of his relationship doesn't mention games journalism, or the creeping SJW menace, so it's real weird that it was the catalyst for a movement reacting against those things.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Shadoer posted:

Well that's pretty disingenuous. The reason why we are defending gamergate so much in this thread is because a bunch of people have come into here to attack it, preventing any other discussion. And since the main attack on gamergate is that it is inherently misogynist and all other causes it purports to support are simply a smoke screen to harass women, it's hard to discuss anything else.

Like the debate in the thread has veered other ways, like into areas of if companies refusing to sell certain games count as censorship or if it's only censorship if the government does it, but then the various posters in the thread then bring it back to an attack of "gamergate is a misogynist conspiracy". A better question is why you guys are so obsessed with it being a misogynist conspiracy as opposed to anything else, or willing to debate anything else.

That is actually an advantage for GG. It's main purpose is to build group identity. So as long as GG is misunderstood, it has a reason to exist. This is why GG spends more on time on pseudo-PR than actual politics.

e:

Exclamation Marx posted:

Eron Gjoni's sad 9200 word outline of his relationship doesn't mention games journalism, or the creeping SJW menace, so it's real weird that it was the catalyst for a movement reacting against those things.

GG started out when media refused to cover said sad meltdown.

e2: It really reminds me of the basic lesson of PR: the easiest way to reflect an image is to fulfil the promise given by that image (in other words, you can't polish a turd). The very structure of AGG/GG demands misinterpretation and confusion of greater issues. GG can never get rid of its bad image because it demands a bad image. It's activities, it's ideology, everything produces that bad image.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 29, 2015

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
why does every gamergater have :words: :words: :words: in every one of their posts and why, if you care this much about video games, have you not killed yourself already jesus christ

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Obdicut posted:

While I worked there, EA literally had a marketing policy that timed the buying of ads in trade magazines with upcoming reviews. This is the same problem that automotive or any other product journalists have; their advertisers are the people that they're reviewing. This creates an absolutely insurmountable conflict of interest. Depending on their revenue model, some 'indie' journalists may or may not be susceptible to this, but if they aren't, they lack access, and bring nothing to the table that just reading user reviews don't. There isn't any way to ever improve games journalism beyond its current state, this is the natural shape of the market, and that GGers don't realize this is part of what's funny about them.

Also, their example of corruption in the gaming industry was over a lovely CYOA game that went on sale for hot, hot price of $0.00.

The obsession with pretentious low budget zero gameplay indie games is not because they are a corrupting spigot of money that distorts the market around them, but because it is a battleground to fight the kulturkampf.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Broniki posted:

Where in the Zoe Post does Eron write about "how her slutyness was ruining games journalism." The five guys being games journalists is not the same as Eron making a statement about industry corruption.

I asked a really simple question and none of you can answer it. So what I want to know is, are you all ignorant, or malicious?
He doesn't say her sluttiness was ruining games journalism in The Zoe Post. He was happy to let channers infer that much as he used them as his personal army.

Ddraig posted:

fatherboxx posted:

1) Nintendo Super Guide

2) Publisher Review Events

Phobophilia posted:

Also, their example of corruption in the gaming industry was over a lovely CYOA game that went on sale for hot, hot price of $0.00.
TotalBiscuit originally thought as much

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 29, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

fatherboxx posted:

Hepler suggested in an interview about 5 or 6 years before she was working on Dragon Age 2 that one of the things she didn't like about RPGs was that there's a way to skip dialog because people don't want to read it but there's no option for people to skip combat because people don't like those.

Cue Gamers jumping on this as the worst threat that has ever come out against gaming, sending her death threats (both to her and her kids), all that other crap.

Nintendo comes out several years later with their "Super Guide" mode where games literally play themselves the response is mild amusement and acceptance that it might be a neat feature for people.

As for the GTA4 thing there was a lot of controversy regarding the review embargo and how IGN was the only company allowed to break it, and conveniently that review was 10s across the board.

There's not a lot about this out there because unfortunately this isn't an ethical violation worthy of note unlike a woman's private life.

e: There was also this:

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/video-game-journalist-fired-over-red-dead-redempti-415629/

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 29, 2015

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Cardboard Box A posted:

He doesn't say her sluttiness was ruining games journalism in The Zoe Post. He was happy to let channers infer that much as he used them as his personal army.

Jesus loving christ, I had no idea Eron, or at least someone positioning themselves as Eron at the head of the burgeoning movement, was social engineering their way into Comfort Inn, Choice Hotels International, Inc.

If that really was Eron, then I really have no sympathy left for his whining that Gamergate had rendered him unemployable.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Phobophilia posted:

Jesus loving christ, I had no idea Eron, or at least someone positioning themselves as Eron at the head of the burgeoning movement, was social engineering their way into Comfort Inn, Choice Hotels International, Inc.

If that really was Eron, then I really have no sympathy left for his whining that Gamergate had rendered him unemployable.

Any chat originating from 4chan should be held to the same scrutiny as pictures of bigfoot, but Gamergate has rendered scores of people unemployable at this point.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Any chat originating from 4chan should be held to the same scrutiny as pictures of bigfoot, but Gamergate has rendered scores of people unemployable at this point.

Yeah, this goes for both sides. Zoe was talking on her blog about how being anti-GG made her current boyfriend unemployable, but I think that's more due to him tweeting stuff like this:

https://twitter.com/alexlifschitz/status/576869419462238209

He's Jewish and somehow doesn't realize what that metaphor makes him sound like.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Phobophilia posted:

Eron lost a restraining order case against him, and has repeatedly violated said restraining order so that he can continue to "not talk" about the "girl he dumped". But somehow it's all still Zoe's fault.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Exclamation Marx posted:

P.much

The guy is basically the a typical "creepy ex boyfriend out for revenge" and it's pretty clear that was his main intent.

Just since Zoe is involved in the industry, some people who read it then realized "wait a second, isn't this guy writing for Kotaku, and isn't this fellow her boss" and that's where things snowballed out of "bf revenge land".

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Hadaka Apron posted:

Yeah, this goes for both sides. Zoe was talking on her blog about how being anti-GG made her current boyfriend unemployable, but I think that's more due to him tweeting stuff like this:

He's Jewish and somehow doesn't realize what that metaphor makes him sound like.

He's a literal blood money zionist so bad things happening to him is good.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Hadaka Apron posted:

It doesn't make him sound like a Nazi, if that's what you're implying. And if gamergate really is just a thin veneer for harrassing women, then I don't see anything wrong with the stance that associating with the movement should be a permanent stain on your record. I certainly wouldn't hire somebody who is known to have been involved in harrassment compaigns.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
It is literally impossible to follow along in this web of intrigue, misinformation, fabricated proofs, and half-truths. You can basically just pick a corner of the "debate", and no matter how ridiculous, assemble enough evidence to compile a 100 page document on how your incredibly retarded interpretation of events is the only true one. Language is dead, words mean nothing, hail satan.

Unrelated, but I love the dramatic movie villain tone some of these channers have when they're discussing people who say that videogames are sometimes gross or who disagree with them. "We will assemble an army and march on their stronghold, tear it down with the fury of a thunderstorm and salt the earth with the lye from the ground bones of our hated enemy; they will rue the day that they threatened our identity as consumers of market commodities by subjecting a thing we like to mild cultural criticism. The harlots!"

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

Shadoer posted:

P.much

The guy is basically the a typical "creepy ex boyfriend out for revenge" and it's pretty clear that was his main intent.

Just since Zoe is involved in the industry, some people who read it then realized "wait a second, isn't this guy writing for Kotaku, and isn't this fellow her boss" and that's where things snowballed out of "bf revenge land".

so this entire movement comes from a woman's ex-boyfriend claiming that she slept around for favourable coverage of her free game?

and this is p. much exactly what he wanted to happen?

and you think this is worth defending?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well at least I have come from this thread being reasonably convicted there are at least some people who identify with this silly little thing whose worst sins can be summed up as being a bit tone deaf.

I have started to genuinely believe there are a few guys to whom this is truly about ethics in game journalism, who file all of the within-GG misogyny under flak, and really, leaving aside if you believe these people exist - if you believe such people deserve hatred, you're the problem.

On the other hand, if you are such a person: it seems a lot of people experience GG as a symbol for misogyny. You're no misogynist. Why not pick a different label? You're currently giving misogynists credibility, which is obviously bad. You're being abused by people who make games about beating Anita Sarkeesian bloody for having opinions like "video games are often sexist" to give their stupid crusade some sign of legitimacy. Is this not obviously bad?

And then, if you're upset about Anita Sarkeesian, you're most likely not in the "tone deaf" category, you're in the "misogynist" category.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

botany posted:

It doesn't make him sound like a Nazi, if that's what you're implying. And if gamergate really is just a thin veneer for harrassing women, then I don't see anything wrong with the stance that associating with the movement should be a permanent stain on your record. I certainly wouldn't hire somebody who is known to have been involved in harrassment compaigns.
Would you hire a, let's say black, ex-con convicted for e.g. a robbery when they were 19, a decade after the fact?

Would you hire a guy who was mad at internet feminists when he was 19?

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

murphyslaw posted:

It is literally impossible to follow along in this web of intrigue, misinformation, fabricated proofs, and half-truths. You can basically just pick a corner of the "debate", and no matter how ridiculous, assemble enough evidence to compile a 100 page document on how your incredibly retarded interpretation of events is the only true one. Language is dead, words mean nothing, hail satan.

Unrelated, but I love the dramatic movie villain tone some of these channers have when they're discussing people who say that videogames are sometimes gross or who disagree with them. "We will assemble an army and march on their stronghold, tear it down with the fury of a thunderstorm and salt the earth with the lye from the ground bones of our hated enemy; they will rue the day that they threatened our identity as consumers of market commodities by subjecting a thing we like to mild cultural criticism. The harlots!"

It's no wonder they chose Bane as their role model.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What's the main reason those with legitimate gripes against games journalism can't just start a different movement that specifically is not based around the harassment of women?

There's plenty of legitimate gripes to be had, but #gg is poison. Gamergate isn't even a good name, gate is hackneyed for describing a scandal and gamers are not supposed to be the scandal, corporations and news and review coverage is. It would be like calling Watergate Democratgate.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Cingulate posted:

Would you hire a, let's say black, ex-con convicted for e.g. a robbery when they were 19, a decade after the fact?

Depends on their current state of mind, obviously. But you're right to point out that I should have stated that. I do think involvement with the whole gamergate debacle (if there's really nothing more to it than what I see in this thread) is an indicator of being a bit of an rear end in a top hat, but obviously people change.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

What's the main reason those with legitimate gripes against games journalism can't just start a different movement that specifically is not based around the harassment of women?
I'd go a step further: I'd be extremely pissed at misogynists trying to hijack my movement. I assume I'd be more pissed at them than at my primary targets.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

botany posted:

Depends on their current state of mind, obviously. But you're right to point out that I should have stated that. I do think involvement with the whole gamergate debacle (if there's really nothing more to it than what I see in this thread) is an indicator of being a bit of an rear end in a top hat, but obviously people change.
It only makes our position weaker if we're imprecise in our language, especially if it makes our language closer to fascist language.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Cingulate posted:

On the other hand, if you are such a person: it seems a lot of people experience GG as a symbol for misogyny. You're no misogynist. Why not pick a different label? You're currently giving misogynists credibility, which is obviously bad. You're being abused by people who make games about beating Anita Sarkeesian bloody for having opinions like "video games are often sexist" to give their stupid crusade some sign of legitimacy. Is this not obviously bad?

This has the argument of Damion Schubert, a developer who continued to give GG some benefit of doubt: if you are positioning yourself as a "consumer revolt", then organise a consumer advocacy group with defined leadership, so you can represent the consumers suffering from the unethical journalism and disown the harassers/shitstirrers/idiots trying to fly your flag. To which the answer was "lol anonymous is leejun"

http://www.zenofdesign.com/dear-gamergate-please-form-a-consumer-organization-kthxbye/

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cingulate posted:

Yes and no, respectively.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Lots of people are stupid when they're 19. Isa libertarian who thought Abraham Lincoln was the worst president because he invented the income tax. People grow up a lot from their teenage years.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

fatherboxx posted:

This has the argument of Damion Schubert, a developer who continued to give GG some benefit of doubt: if you are positioning yourself as a "consumer revolt", then organise a consumer advocacy group with defined leadership, so you can represent the consumers suffering from the unethical journalism and disown the harassers/shitstirrers/idiots trying to fly your flag. To which the answer was "lol anonymous is leejun"

http://www.zenofdesign.com/dear-gamergate-please-form-a-consumer-organization-kthxbye/

no they can't do that! one of gamergates strength is that is has no leaders

this is good because

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

greatn posted:

There's plenty of legitimate gripes to be had, but #gg is poison. Gamergate isn't even a good name, gate is hackneyed for describing a scandal and gamers are not supposed to be the scandal, corporations and news and review coverage is. It would be like calling Watergate Democratgate.

Why should people concede to something that is false and why would #GG have any reason to believe that a different movement wouldn't immediately be declared misogynist by the corrupt when that's exactly what happened the first time it was attempted.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

Yes and no, respectively.
How so?

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Cingulate posted:

Well at least I have come from this thread being reasonably convicted there are at least some people who identify with this silly little thing whose worst sins can be summed up as being a bit tone deaf.

I have started to genuinely believe there are a few guys to whom this is truly about ethics in game journalism, who file all of the within-GG misogyny under flak, and really, leaving aside if you believe these people exist - if you believe such people deserve hatred, you're the problem.

And then, if you're upset about Anita Sarkeesian, you're most likely not in the "tone deaf" category, you're in the "misogynist" category.

I've said it before, but it's generally because making a new label or hashtag wouldn't do much good. There's no way to ban the rear end in a top hat harassers from a hashtag and the only thing to do is condemn them. Also there's no reason to believe it would gain any good will as other attempts to change the hashtag have resulted in people pointing to it as a "gamergate plot"

However

fatherboxx posted:

Yeah this is one of the solutions I'd like to see.

Fact is leadershipless movement usually end up flailing around everywhere and lose all focus. But the whole stupid collective hive mind thing is still somehow in vogue among activists even though it crippled both OccupyWallStreet and the Tea Party and as far as I know, has never worked ever. So Gamergate has largely kept to chewing on that poison pill.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Isn't saying "the concern with 'ethics in gaming journalism' is valid but talking about it under the GG brand invalidates the argument' just tone policing?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

sick trigger posted:

no they can't do that! one of gamergates strength is that is has no leaders

this is good because

Look how great it worked out for Occupy!

Broniki posted:

Why should people concede to something that is false and why would #GG have any reason to believe that a different movement wouldn't immediately be declared misogynist by the corrupt when that's exactly what happened the first time it was attempted.

Because it is true, and because a new movement could avoid being labeled misogynists by not being misogynist and actively keeping those people out of it. You would have to actually have leaders and an organizational structure however.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Obviously he works in organized crime and looks for people with prior experience.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The black murderer has a much better chance of having reformed in the last ten years.

Broniki posted:

They shouldn't. But accusations of rampant bigotry within #GG aren't false, nor is anyone in the #GG movement actually interested in anything other than A) trolling ironically or unironically or B) defending the #GG movement (see: this thread). Absolutely nothing substantial has ever come out of the movement besides those two things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Shadoer posted:

Fact is leadershipless movement usually end up flailing around everywhere and lose all focus. But the whole stupid collective hive mind thing is still somehow in vogue among activists even though it crippled both OccupyWallStreet and the Tea Party and as far as I know, has never worked ever. So Gamergate has largely kept to chewing on that poison pill.

Anon has had a decade to sort its poo poo out and might've learned a thing or two from its flight of fancy against scientology. Chanology was a joke. Twitter has made all of this easier. And worse.

• Locked thread