Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I really hate fantasy armor.

You know how it's called fantasy? Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

CommissarMega posted:

Make Kislev a viable army choice. Or Araby. Hell, aren't the TK's kind of alright rulers? Release a new TK army list with human auxiliaries, it'd be amazing!

But nope, gotta put out Sigmarines, let's explode everything and start anew.

EDIT: Seriously, what are round bases and massive shoulderpads on eight-foot tall superhumans doing in my Fantasy?

gently caress you GW, impractical hats, gunpowder and pike and shot tactics were what made warhammer fantasy unique and fun! :arghfist::spergin:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

You know how it's called fantasy? Yeah.

thats a lazy copout

i mean i am a legit poo poo-tard for caring but its like defending a lovely disproportionate deviant-art anime character art by going "shut up fucker its a stylistic choice", you gotta have some understanding of the poo poo youre exaggerating or modifying for a genre or its just kind of balefully generic and derivative and limits actual originality.

anyways its only tangentially related to warhammer total war i guess so thats good at least

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Its always this stupid, overly ornate garbage plate mail bullshit. None of the people that create it know or respect anything about the history of armor, or how much a loving science it was. So when trying to create cool armor they produce trash that is the horrifying equivalent of a colorblind man painting a room, and looks worse than people hundreds of years ago made when they had a loving sense that even their crazy gilded ornate poo poo had to somehow be worn by a human being at some point.. I liked the empire in fantasy since they cribbed from a different era of armor and were somewhat less inclined to create formless metal shithouses and now its dead. Dead!

okay thats me being autistic for a bit to get in the spirit of things but lovely fantasy armaments are a legit pet peeve of mine as i am a thoughtless consumer of lovely media meant for children

e: like what the gently caress is the point of all those loving lovely overwrought details on the chaos guys when theyre like 2 loving inches tall and all those bits just turn into loving noise the second you move your eye more than a half foot away from them aaaaa

While I mostly agree with you

You said 'plate mail'

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
So the new Sigmarites are basically more heavily armored Archons from Age of Wonders now?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Martello posted:

While I mostly agree with you

You said 'plate mail'

gently caress.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
:yikes:

I'll admit, I'd been thinking a big shakeup could be cool, seeing as I'm in the desirable position of not actually playing TT (got an unpainted Eldar "army" from a decade ago, though) while being into the video games and periphery lore/aesthetic but throwing out a cool, weird pastiche of exagerrated cultures in favour of generic fantasy...what the hell are they thinking.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I like all the stupid armour. It makes it funnier when my ork boyz smash their stupid faces in because they probably can't move their arms above their heads.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

dogstile posted:

I like all the stupid armour. It makes it funnier when my ork boyz smash their stupid faces in because they probably can't move their arms above their heads.

Your orks are now Blizzard Warcraft orcs, with all the dumb angst and backstory that implies. :shepicide:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

Your orks are now Blizzard Warcraft orcs, with all the dumb angst and backstory that implies. :shepicide:

don't do this to me

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Its always this stupid, overly ornate garbage plate mail bullshit. None of the people that create it know or respect anything about the history of armor, or how much a loving science it was. So when trying to create cool armor they produce trash that is the horrifying equivalent of a colorblind man painting a room, and looks worse than people hundreds of years ago made when they had a loving sense that even their crazy gilded ornate poo poo had to somehow be worn by a human being at some point.. I liked the empire in fantasy since they cribbed from a different era of armor and were somewhat less inclined to create formless metal shithouses and now its dead. Dead!

okay thats me being autistic for a bit to get in the spirit of things but lovely fantasy armaments are a legit pet peeve of mine as i am a thoughtless consumer of lovely media meant for children

e: like what the gently caress is the point of all those loving lovely overwrought details on the chaos guys when theyre like 2 loving inches tall and all those bits just turn into loving noise the second you move your eye more than a half foot away from them aaaaa

i dunno, the Imperial Guard equipment seems pretty functional since a human being really can't stand against virtually anything in that unniverse so a soft padding against debris and small arms fire (that basically no one uses but i guess it saves from ricochets). The Catachans dress like Rambo because they know their armor is useless and jungle fighting makes you sweat a lot and IG's armor seems to have a lot of cotton.

The Space Marine and Chaos armor is basically poo poo that's strapped on top of giant humanoid tanks so it's more of a dick waving competition than a serious concern for efficiency.

Klaus88 posted:

gently caress you, gently caress off. you're kidding.

i seriously doubt that Warham Ork isn't one of the companies' biggest cashcows.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Games Workshop hates Ork players because the Ork players always ruin their carefully crafted narrative.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I like savage orks because their only armor is tattoos that they believe will protect them, so it does.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Hihohe posted:

I like savage orks because their only armor is tattoos that they believe will protect them, so it does.

Orks wouldn't be the first culture in history to think that's true. They'd just be the first to have the psychic power to make it happen. :getin:

I still can't believe they gave Orks loving stand-in elves to lead them if that leak is accurate though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zaodai posted:

Orks wouldn't be the first culture in history to think that's true. They'd just be the first to have the psychic power to make it happen. :getin:

I still can't believe they gave Orks loving stand-in elves to lead them if that leak is accurate though.

Some of GW's writers are still extremely salty about Grimgor proving he was cooler than anything Chaos had.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Hihohe posted:

Ork society basically functioning like a bunch of roided out psychic five-year-olds playing make believe might be my favorite thing about Warhammer.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Voyager I posted:

Ork society basically functioning like a bunch of roided out psychic five-year-olds playing make believe might be my favorite thing about Warhammer.

And GW is probably getting rid of that, because they are idiots.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

dogstile posted:

"Imperial observers have noted that the Orks have taken up the habit of mocking the inability of Space Marines to raise their arms above their heads by forming a "wave" and chanting one of their barbaric songs."

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Some of GW's writers are still extremely salty about Grimgor proving he was cooler than anything Chaos had.

Grimgor , not unlike the Hulk, is the strongest there is.
If the end times were just the orcs creating an unstoppable waaghh that killed everything until there was nothing left it wouldve been a fitting end.

I do hope there are ways to customize your warboss and that you can run a goblin heavy army. IM GONNA BE DA NEX GROM DA PAUNCH!

In fact I hope you can make your own warband, even if its just simple color swaps like in blood bowl. It would be cool to be the next big threat to old world as a new chaos lord , warboss ,or necromancer/vampire.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Mans posted:

gently caress you, gently caress off. you're kidding.

i seriously doubt that Warham Ork isn't one of the companies' biggest cashcows.

Let me introduce you to "Waaghkin" ....

(Please be a fake rumour, like the musclebound fantasy-marines of Sigmar-oh gently caress)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If all that about orkz are true i'm just going to stop buying anything related to warhammer :shrug:

I've got other poo poo to move onto, let GW burn their franchise and let someone else pick up the IP.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Neruz posted:

Games Workshop hates Ork players because the Ork players always ruin their carefully crafted narrative.

Which really, is quite appropriate when you think about it.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I just had the horrifyingly cynical thought that the only reason GW is finally OKing such a broad grand strategy game in the Fantasy universe is because the Fantasy universe as we knew it is now dead to rights so this is just mining the corpse for dollars.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kanos posted:

I just had the horrifyingly cynical thought that the only reason GW is finally OKing such a broad grand strategy game in the Fantasy universe is because the Fantasy universe as we knew it is now dead to rights so this is just mining the corpse for dollars.

That's probably accurate. On the plus side, it means they should (in theory) meddle in the whole process less as long as they get their big bag of money with a dollar sign on it. At least until they realize it's popular, and is thus harming their new lovely version of Fantasy, and cancel all subsequent games and DLC in a fit of rage.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Tiler Kiwi posted:

plate mail

Looks like you're the dumbass, here.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'm downloading hitman absolution and wasn't quick enough on the call-out, I apologize to everyone I've offended.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's going to be fun when people play Total War: Warhammer, see the liverpool Orks and then try to check out the tabletop Orks only to find yet another Warcraft noble savage shitfest.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mans posted:

it's going to be fun when people play Total War: Warhammer, see the liverpool Orks and then try to check out the tabletop Orks only to find yet another Warcraft noble savage shitfest.

This but for basically everything about Fantasy. DoW was a huge advertising coup for GW and now they've put themselves in a similar position, but killed off everything they'd be advertising.

As a reminder, GW literally does not have a marketing department and is super smug about this fact.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Keep in mind if they did have a marketing department, they'd still be making GBS threads on old Warhams, but instead we'd be getting this game set in the new lovely universe.

In this case, their incompetence is working drastically in our favor.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zaodai posted:

Keep in mind if they did have a marketing department, they'd still be making GBS threads on old Warhams, but instead we'd be getting this game set in the new lovely universe.

In this case, their incompetence is working drastically in our favor.

I had not thought of this. Thank you, GW, for being so poo poo.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Maybe they'll reboot 40K to be more like old Fantasy next. :psyduck:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
What's wrong with "plate mail"?

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Torrannor posted:

I'm not an expert, but plate armour tends to be made of great lumps of metal, whereas mail armour tends to be itty-bitty links of metal.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Torrannor posted:

I imagine it's like calling something a truck car. Plate armor is made of big solid plates, sometimes just a straight plate cuirass and stuff. Mail armor is that cool shark-diving poo poo.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Plate mail just means a set of smaller metal armor plates held together by mail.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 29, 2015

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I always treat "plate mail" as wearing plate armor with mail armor underneath.

^^^or yeah that too

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Warbadger posted:

Plate mail just means a set of metal plates held together by mail.

Which it isn't? The mail is on a lower layer to cover gaps in the plates, not to hold it together.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Bob, we just gave these guys the rights to make a Total War Warhammer game, something the internet has been asking about for many years

That's great Mark,

by the way Mark, we're scrapping the setting and making a new one. We feel the timing of this is perfect. We are sure this is a great idea. We are Games Workshop

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zzulu posted:

Bob, we just gave these guys the rights to make a Total War Warhammer game, something the internet has been asking about for many years

That's great Mark,

by the way Mark, we're scrapping the setting and making a new one. We feel the timing of this is perfect. We are sure this is a great idea. We are Games Workshop

Do you know what sells, Mark? Space marines sell. How do we get space marines into Fantasy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Torrannor posted:

Same thing wrong with "chainmail" or "ringmail". The mail part implies the linked rings sort of armor, and is thus redundant.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail_(armour)

• Locked thread