Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Funky Valentine posted:

The Arkham Series is ultimately about the relationship between Joker and Batman and I'm sorry that people fail to grasp that.

Joker just wants some of that Bat-D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I expect the visual novel adaption to release very soon.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

A. Beaverhausen posted:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Funky Valentine posted:

The Arkham Series is ultimately about the relationship between Joker and Batman and I'm sorry that people fail to grasp that.

I always thought it was about Batman beating the everloving poo poo out of a million dudes but I guess not

edit: I like that they make you unable to counter-attack enemies when you're playing as just Bruce, it's a helpful reminder that Batman doesn't have some innate supernatural spider sense or something so he can't just magically see attacks coming from behind him; that kind of stuff comes from the suit.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 29, 2015

UnsuitableWasp
Mar 3, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

I know that and I like the Joker. That doesn't mean I can't criticize the game for ignoring the two other main villains - Scarecrow and Arkham Knight.

I wonder how the people who hated Origins for having Joker steal the spotlight feel about AK now- there were people singing Rocksteady's praises for finally moving on, leaving Joker behind and introducing Arkham Knight, the brand new character they created. Then again, I think the hate for Origins was in part because it wasn't Rocksteady developing it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Took me a while to warm up to it but I really like the Batmobile and how it's integrated into the gameplay. The story missions force some creative use of it and I think that works well. Driving sort of clicked for me doing the Firefly stuff and now I use it all the time whenever I can. The downside to getting used to it is being locked off from the other islands for X amount of story but there's so much to do on Bleake and Magiani it's ok.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

CJacobs posted:

edit: I like that they make you unable to counter-attack enemies when you're playing as just Bruce, it's a helpful reminder that Batman doesn't have some innate supernatural spider sense or something so he can't just magically see attacks coming from behind him; that kind of stuff comes from the suit.

what do you mean by that? you can counter enemies all the time as Bruce Wayne, both in City and Origins

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CharlestonJew posted:

what do you mean by that? you can counter enemies all the time as Bruce Wayne, both in City and Origins

The blue counter prompts don't pop up for me! Maybe Bruce just loves getting clocked in the back of the head by people, it seems to happen very frequently.

edit: Or it might be a bug. This is Arkham Knight we're talking about here.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 29, 2015

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
If you start an NG+ (not sure if hard makes a difference) there are no counter prompts, you just have to read what the enemy is doing. Which is annoying with sword users.

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

I still haven't warmed to the mechanics of the Batmobile.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of not being able to counter, I am glad there is a mod that lets you play as Commissioner Gordon but drat do I wish he could do the sick Matrix counter attacks Batman can do because that'd be hilarious.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Is there a map of all the watchtower locations? I need to clear them all off to get the second ending and fuuuuuuuuuuck flying around the city looking for them

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

UnsuitableWasp posted:

I'm kinda disappointed with the plot this time around. The plots have always been absurd in the Arkham games but this time I felt they aimed for bigger and badder for both plot and villain and never delivered.

Barbara dying- seriously Batman didn't send a squad car to pick up her body at least so it doesn't rot in the streets-and see there isn't actually one...come on. And lucky for him, she wasn't dead because he never told Tim about her.

In regards to your spoiler, you have a chance to tell Tim. It's after you toss him into the containment pod. You can go up and there's a prompt to tell him about Barbara.

Cat Machine posted:

Is there a map of all the watchtower locations? I need to clear them all off to get the second ending and fuuuuuuuuuuck flying around the city looking for them

I thought they were easy to find. You just go up to a high vantage point and look for red lights on buildings.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Please don't spoil this for me but:

Everybody talking about the two endings, can you rush through the main quest for the "incomplete" ending, then do everything else after that and get the "complete" ending later?

Or, is it one of those things where you have to save your profile before you beat the game the first time so you can then 100% everything and beat the game again for the 2nd ending once you've done all that?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The 100% completion ending is independent of the normal story's ending. Otherwise it would be kind of a dick move.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

Please don't spoil this for me but:

Everybody talking about the two endings, can you rush through the main quest for the "incomplete" ending, then do everything else after that and get the "complete" ending later?

Yes, you just get an incomplete ending if you bring in everyone but Riddler, after the credits it will drop you back into the map to finish up.. Collection everything is tedious but the lass boss fight with Riddler is pretty fun and he has some good dialogue as you solve the last ten of his riddles and he realizes how close you are to kicking his rear end.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So where does the Arkham Knight get the funds for his war on Batman? The losses incurred must be in the billions, if military tech costs are anything to go by.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 29, 2015

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Broken Cog posted:

So where does the Arkham Knight get the funds for his war on Batman? The losses occurred must be in the billions, if military tech costs are anything to go by.

Scarecrow's Supervillain alliance paid for it, according to some random thug chatter.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

UnsuitableWasp posted:

I know that and I like the Joker. That doesn't mean I can't criticize the game for ignoring the two other main villains - Scarecrow and Arkham Knight.

I wonder how the people who hated Origins for having Joker steal the spotlight feel about AK now- there were people singing Rocksteady's praises for finally moving on, leaving Joker behind and introducing Arkham Knight, the brand new character they created. Then again, I think the hate for Origins was in part because it wasn't Rocksteady developing it.

I doubt anyone is going to give them poo poo for not putting in more of the worlds greatest detective struggling to figure out something the audience grasped 5 hours ago, followed by Jason Todds nonsensical bitching and whining. How exactly does the one who was already a replacement have this huge hangup about being replaced? And I get the issue was that he felt he was bandonded, but they don't bring that across well in his dialogue - I don't think he used the word abandonded once.

As for Scarecrow, I think he works better when used sparingly. His brand of menace works when he maintains that same detached calm cold menace and hate in his voice. I can't think of a scene of his that woul be made better by five more minutes of talking.

So, people who have played through it twice, do the side missions happen any differently if you go through the main story first? I'm mainly interested in the dialogue, if any of your allies and enemys react to what happens in the first ending while you're in their missions.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Levantine posted:

Scarecrow's Supervillain alliance paid for it, according to some random thug chatter.

But the Supervillain alliance are all dead broke. Riddler's obsession deteriorated to the point he hasn't done anything that isn't to do with trying to gently caress with Batman for years (and Scarecrow only asked that he try and pull his Riddle challenge the same night as Scarecrows stuff, he didn't ask for an investment), Penguin is down to one gun running organisation running out of Bludhaven as his entire enterprise, and Two Face has to go back to ripping off mob money.

I figured it was Stagg fronting the money.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 29, 2015

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Fulchrum posted:

But the Supervillain alliance are all dead broke. Riddler's obsession deteriorated to the point he hasn't done anything that isn't to do with trying to gently caress with Batman for years (and Scarecrow only asked that he try and pull his Riddle challenge the same night as Scarecrows stuff, he didn't ask for an investment), Penguin is down to one gun running organisation running out of Bludhaven as his entire enterprise, and Two Face has to go back to ripping off mob money.

I'd be highly surprised if any of the villains didn't have as much money squirreled away in offshore accounts as they could get. I'm sure any one of them could retire comfortably if their various psychoses allowed it. But it's always easier to just go rob a bank and immediately turn around and use that money than it is to dip into savings (especially when doing so might get them traced).

Where supervillains get their limitless supplies of cash is something I've always just accepted as handwaved away, in much the same way that I don't ask how Riddler built all those underground racetracks in under a year and nobody in Gotham noticed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm glad that, no matter what changes around Gotham throughout the Arkham games, that one thug that enthusiastically shouts "This'll be easy, Batman! :unsmith:" even though he's about to get all his bones broken remains. :unsmith:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CuwiKhons posted:

I'd be highly surprised if any of the villains didn't have as much money squirreled away in offshore accounts as they could get. I'm sure any one of them could retire comfortably if their various psychoses allowed it. But it's always easier to just go rob a bank and immediately turn around and use that money than it is to dip into savings (especially when doing so might get them traced).

Where supervillains get their limitless supplies of cash is something I've always just accepted as handwaved away, in much the same way that I don't ask how Riddler built all those underground racetracks in under a year and nobody in Gotham noticed.

You can probably thank Great White for at least half of Gotham's supervillain funding. Guy gives great terms on loans. Watch out, though, the interest'll kill ya.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I don't get that Bruce saw Jason apparently get fake-killed by the Joker...and never even tried to recover his body, since he knows a guy who possesses a Lazarus Pit. Or that he was missing for 6 months in Arkham without the Word's Greatest Detective finding him, and Batman instead apparently replaced him with Tim without confirming he was even dead. Or why the Joker didn't kill him for real, instead leaving him to go off and be angsty.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Yvonmukluk posted:

I don't get that Bruce saw Jason apparently get fake-killed by the Joker...and never even tried to recover his body, since he knows a guy who possesses a Lazarus Pit. Or that he was missing for 6 months in Arkham without the Word's Greatest Detective finding him, and Batman instead apparently replaced him with Tim without confirming he was even dead. Or why the Joker didn't kill him for real, instead leaving him to go off and be angsty.

It honestly makes a metric-gently caress-ton more sense than why he came back in the comics.

Either way, the reason is "comic book writing."

UnsuitableWasp
Mar 3, 2013

Fulchrum posted:

I doubt anyone is going to give them poo poo for not putting in more of the worlds greatest detective struggling to figure out something the audience grasped 5 hours ago, followed by Jason Todds nonsensical bitching and whining. How exactly does the one who was already a replacement have this huge hangup about being replaced? And I get the issue was that he felt he was bandonded, but they don't bring that across well in his dialogue - I don't think he used the word abandonded once.

I think I heard him scream once "Did you even look for me?" but that's about it really. And you're right about him bitching about Tim- middle child syndrome I guess. Still, I would have liked to see more of him and Batman resolving their issues because at least it's personal between them. It seems apart from Joker Batman just doesn't have many villains that can affect him on a personal level.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, but there's more to that- how the hell did Jason not break every bone in Joker's body the first time he turned around and left him in that chair. You're telling me Batman's sidekick can take down a crowd of people, but the Joker just renders him helpless like he's Penelope Pitstop. And then the game turns around and tries to hype him as Batman's equal in combat ability. They should have stuck to the whole Lazarus pit story- it's crazy, but not crazier than Joker blood turning you into the Joker.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Yvonmukluk posted:

Lazarus pit only works if you're dying, not if you're dead. Given he saw the video of the Joker killing him, its pretty plausible for him to rule that out. Same goes for trying to confirm he's dead - he had it on video, that's pretty much confirmation. He even says it when you have the reveal moment with something like "I saw you die" as Jason screams bullshit back. Its pretty conclusive Bruce 100% knows he's dead.

Metos fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 29, 2015

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

I need some ending help - Primarily the second ending. I've done everything except the Riddler stuff collectathon and the game isn't letting me activate the Knightfall protocol, saying I should go capture him first. I thought you could activate it regardless of how much you'd finished? Any advice?

Edit: Oh. It's a bug. gently caress this game.

iGestalt fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 29, 2015

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Metos posted:

Lazarus pit only works if you're dying, not if you're dead.

I don't think they ever said one way or another in the games, but in the comics the Lazarus Pit absolutely works if you're dead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

It's not just him. One of the thugs mentions that Lex Luthor chipped in some money too.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It's not just him. One of the thugs mentions that Lex Luthor chipped in some money too.

Why? What kind of money is he making when one of the largest consumers of his products basically gets nuked?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
One of the thugs says its a government conspiracy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

evilmiera posted:

Why? What kind of money is he making when one of the largest consumers of his products basically gets nuked?

I presume Lex Luthor was primarily concerned with killing Batman and didn't realize the extent of Scarecrow's plans. In the comics when Gotham gets devistated by an earthquake Luthor tries to step in to rebuild it, with the rebuilding basically being an excuse for him to take over the city. I assume Scarecrow Fear Gas would have been his replacement for that in the games. The thugs even mention that he 'wanted to get his hands on Gotham for a long time."

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

UnsuitableWasp posted:

I think I heard him scream once "Did you even look for me?" but that's about it really. And you're right about him bitching about Tim- middle child syndrome I guess. Still, I would have liked to see more of him and Batman resolving their issues because at least it's personal between them. It seems apart from Joker Batman just doesn't have many villains that can affect him on a personal level.

There's Dent. The impact of failing to protect one of his closest legal allies usually hits pretty hard. There's also Hush.

quote:

Yeah], but there's more to that- how the hell did Jason not break every bone in Joker's body the first time he turned around and left him in that chair. You're telling me Batman's sidekick can take down a crowd of people, but the Joker just renders him helpless like he's Penelope Pitstop. And then the game turns around and tries to hype him as Batman's equal in combat ability. They should have stuck to the whole Lazarus pit story- it's crazy, but not crazier than Joker blood turning you into the Joker.
My guess is Joker starved him for a couple of weeks. That'll do wonders to make someone too weak to fight back and remarkably vulnerable to manipulation, and Joker had him for 6 months.

Metos posted:

Lazarus pit only works if you're dying, not if you're dead. Given he saw the video of the Joker killing him, its pretty plausible for him to rule that out. Same goes for trying to confirm he's dead - he had it on video, that's pretty much confirmation. He even says it when you have the reveal moment with something like "I saw you die" as Jason screams bullshit back. Its pretty conclusive Bruce 100% knows he's dead.

I'm kind of wondering about the timeframe here. Both Jason and Joker confirmed that he was there for 6 months, but Joker had been taking videos this whole time. So did Joker send out the videos as he was making them, in which case, why would Batman think he was dead until the last video, or did Joker release all the videos at once, in which case, how did Batman not notice Jason was gone?

By the way, was that supposed to be Jokers soul, or simply Batmans idea of the Joker? Cause it kept on bringing up stuff Batman shouldn't have known. So Joker was trying to escape hell through Batman?

evilmiera posted:

Destabilising a third of the power base of the Justice League. And leaving Wayne Enterprises highly vulnerable to a hostile takeover - he left a message on Bruces answering machine warning him about it.

Sure, he didn't know Batman was Bruce Wayne, but the companies headquarters is located in a city thats basically written off, leaving it in a weakened state.

CuwiKhons posted:

I don't think they ever said one way or another in the games, but in the comics the Lazarus Pit absolutely works if you're dead.

When they didn't use it on Talia I think it was kind of a given that it doesn't work on the dead.

Though there was that Rhas Al Ghul easter egg in Arkham Asylumn, so this could go either way.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I like how every reasonable explanation for the plot beats is shot down by some comic book nerd pointing out that actually, in Turd Garrison's Batman: Dark Bat rear end #54, Lex Luthor's company has sizable pecuniary interests in Gotham City, so therefore Evil Retard Lex Luthor would not attack QED. By the way Crocodile men are plausible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I like how every reasonable explanation for the plot beats is shot down by some comic book nerd pointing out that actually, in Turd Garrison's Batman: Dark Bat rear end #54, Lex Luthor's company has sizable pecuniary interests in Gotham City, so therefore Evil Retard Lex Luthor would not attack QED. By the way Crocodile men are plausible.

... That's literally the opposite of what I said?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

... That's literally the opposite of what I said?

Was I talking to you? Did I address you at all?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Well technically you weren't addressing anyone.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

There have been so many continuities and takes on Batman/the wider DC Universe that you could probably find a comic that supported literally any line of argument about this game's story.

I think people need to chill and realise that the stories of the Arkham games have largely been vehicles to make the biggest and baddest Batman sandboxes possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Well, considering I was the only person posting recently who cited the comics and Lex Luthor I made an assumption that you did because otherwise you're talking into thin air about something nobody said.

• Locked thread