Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jonny 290 posted:

just make one ffs

I bought a pair of alligator clamps from amazon and will clamp them to the cord stubs with a piece of cardboard between them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
ah yeah my bro keeps one of those around his amp repair shop

it is called cable of death

movax
Aug 30, 2008

hey so

if i want asserts in verilog-2001 -- what do?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
do you need a little structure around $display calls or do you have the flexibility to pull in something like OVM

movax
Aug 30, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

do you need a little structure around $display calls or do you have the flexibility to pull in something like OVM

mostly i've got some simple parameterized modules where i want to barf if the idiot user tries to make width 0 registers or similar things

ovm sounds like something that'd be cool to start using though -- our stuff is so simple right now / so tiny (igloo nano fpgas) that it's not required, but i want to learn more about it

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/71223/is-there-a-way-of-conditionally-triggering-a-compile-time-error-in-verilog

like that?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what do verilog generators do

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
imagine a for loop that instantiates modules

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

JawnV6 posted:

imagine a for loop that instantiates modules on a human face, forever

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Bloody posted:

what do verilog generators do

You seriously have never used or even seen generators before

I feel better about my ultra-poo poo FPGA skills now

My pov is probably distorted because all my coworkers have been doing this poo poo for like like 30 years and are way too drat smart

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Arcsech posted:

You seriously have never used or even seen generators before
they're unnecessary

you shouldn't have anything defined at compile time esp on a fpga

I'm really curious what class of errors would be caught by the thing movax is asking for, you shouldn't be giving users too much choice. either have a template they're c/ping or don't give them the option

Archsech posted:

I feel better about my ultra-poo poo FPGA skills now

My pov is probably distorted because all my coworkers have been doing this poo poo for like like 30 years and are way too drat smart
you will not find a fpga shop where this statement does not hold true

there's no career in it, way too niche and most places just have "the fpga guy" which is why they have a fpga at all, the only people who ship fpga's on purpose is garmin, everyone else is/should actively be moving off of it

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

there's no career in it, way too niche and most places just have "the fpga guy" which is why they have a fpga at all, the only people who ship fpga's on purpose is garmin, everyone else is/should actively be moving off of it

We use fpgas for deep packet inspection of like 40-100gbps fiber lines and I doubt they're going away for that purpose any time soon.

Still not going to make a career out of it though. Nice to be able to do though, it impresses software people who think it's black magic

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Arcsech posted:

it impresses software people who think it's black magic

terrible metric, software folks think P=IV is magic

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
what's the alternative to an FPGA?

serious question, everything i work with has an FPGA in it and i don't see how we realistically could do without them, we also have a lot of people in their 20s and 30s who exclusively do FPGA coding

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
ASICs

or if you don't actually need the speed and complexity, just a microcontroller or normal processor

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
i guess that makes sense for high volume consumer stuff, though i'd hate to lose the ability to reflash FPGAs in the field (unless you can do that in ASICs now?)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

they're unnecessary

you shouldn't have anything defined at compile time esp on a fpga

I'm really curious what class of errors would be caught by the thing movax is asking for, you shouldn't be giving users too much choice. either have a template they're c/ping or don't give them the option

you will not find a fpga shop where this statement does not hold true

you're going to have to define on purpose. most industrial cameras have FPGAs in them for example

there's a fuckton of stuff that will not move off FPGAs because it's too low run for asics to make sense and besides the bom is small compared to the price of the product so it doesn't matter as much

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
does it make sense to use FPGAs to prototype an ASIC that has several different power modes and clock domains?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
for every legit of those i've seen, there have been 20 where an oversized fpga is acting like a big mux between multiple MIPI paths or other situation where it's way overengineered

does "industrial" translate to 10k/year volume

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Barnyard Protein posted:

does it make sense to use FPGAs to prototype an ASIC that has several different power modes and clock domains?

FPGA's are good to prototype things in the logical domain

if your power modes and clock domains might have some circuit dependencies, an FPGA is an inappropriate platform to model & mitigate those risks

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
hey jawn what is your opinion on this

http://www.clifford.at/icestorm/

is this like the open-source synthesis equivalent of Hello World or is it closer to a Noveau-scale hardware reverse engineering accomplishment

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
the best application of FPGAs: the amiga-on-chip

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
reminds me a little of http://balboa.is/Home

a lot of open source people stumble onto FPGA's and see just how awful the tooling is, but I don't think any project like that is going to get off the ground without some manufacturer support. certainly not from a cutting edge Xilinx or altera part

that's really, really far along though. going from a bitstream to a verilog model is nuts, especially on what seems like a really modern product

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

movax posted:

mostly i've got some simple parameterized modules where i want to barf if the idiot user tries to make width 0 registers or similar things

ovm sounds like something that'd be cool to start using though -- our stuff is so simple right now / so tiny (igloo nano fpgas) that it's not required, but i want to learn more about it

You can use $finish() with Xilinx's tools to tell the synthesizer to quit. It probably works with the other guys too.

Something like:

code:
initial if (WIDTH<1) begin
    $display("Error! Width must be at least 1.");
    $finish;
end

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
the synthesizer looks at those directives? thought they were simulation-only

I've had hdl compilations that took 24+ hours, so the difference in compile time and cycle 1 can be huge

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

JawnV6 posted:

the synthesizer looks at those directives? thought they were simulation-only

I've had hdl compilations that took 24+ hours, so the difference in compile time and cycle 1 can be huge

Yep! I put compile-time checks on all my parameters, especially for ones where I'm doing something clock-related like a DCM wrapper with parameterized frequency.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Barnyard Protein posted:

i was the fpga proto guy at prev employer. i'd take asic rtl and do what it took to get it up and running in fpga

the short answer is yes

long answer...

you're probably not going to get much fidelity on power mode stuff without a great deal of extra effort, we didn't try putting that in fpga at all. however we did sometimes manage to keep the same clock domains in fpga as in asic, and that was valuable. as a matter of fact, this one time we collapsed 2 asic domains into 1 fpga domain we missed a bug...

if you can manage to keep clocks proportional to asic you're golden. e.g., if you don't have many domains above ~500 MHz it's p reasonable to target running everything at exactly 1/10th asic rate. assuming you can make your outside interfaces behave exactly as they should, just 10x slower, you're golden

this is easier said than done. the more complex the system the less likely you can do this everywhere. often the outside chips your proto has to interface to don't much like running slow. one of the difficulties for us was always dram (ddr dram DLLs don't always like operating way below their normal freq)

but even without perfect clock domain modeling, many types of chip will still get a ton of value. that chip where we missed a domain crossing bug? it was a complicated soc and it was absolutely essential to have fpga prototypes, not just for validation but also as a pre-silicon software development vehicle

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

BobHoward posted:

a pre-silicon software development vehicle

yeah this is huge, having something that windows can poke at over PCIe that costs under $1k instead of starting driver development after a few million in fab costs

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
It'd be so nice to get to play with logic pre-silicon. oh the inputs for this module didn't get synthesized because reasons :downs: lets do a new revision!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Fpga design sounds really fun but I have no background in it beyond doing some firmware work, how easy is it to break into?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it's addled with esoteric languages with cripplingly bad proprietary toolchains with a heaping helping of tcl smeared all over everything like poo poo on the walls of a supermax solitary cell

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Also nothing you know from c programming will make sense, I spent a week making some leds flash

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Mr Dog posted:

Fpga design sounds really fun but I have no background in it beyond doing some firmware work, how easy is it to break into?
your best bet would be to justify a project with some FPGA on it, like "gosh idk how this could be done on a mcu, better get a custom fpga"

longview posted:

Also nothing you know from c programming will make sense, I spent a week making some leds flash
someone in college described it as "c without recursion" and I don't think i've heard a worse metaphor. criminal teaching.

Bloody posted:

it's addled with esoteric languages with cripplingly bad proprietary toolchains with a heaping helping of tcl smeared all over everything like poo poo on the walls of a supermax solitary cell
quit making it sound so glamorous, tell the truth

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

writing hdl stuff seems like writing one level above doing npn/pnp gate layout for logical constructs (i'm p sure it is??? i still haven't written a single line of hdl-anything, if someone lays out a list of tools and a way to get started ill gladly do a hello world simulation verification thing)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

vhdl is cool

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

i wonder if i still have access to all of the cadence stuff on campus

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

wrongo

movax
Aug 30, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

yeah this is huge, having something that windows can poke at over PCIe that costs under $1k instead of starting driver development after a few million in fab costs

its even cheaper, the low-end kits from altera and xilinx with the low-end fabric + pcie hard ip + transceivers are around $500 or so i think

it takes like 20 minutes to go from out-of-box to running some custom logic to make leds blink using 5 GT/s pcie, pretty legit

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mr Dog posted:

did you ever do a 101 level digital logic class? how to build gates from transistors, how to build things from gates, k-maps, demorgan's, combinatorial vs sequential, play with 74 series chips in a hw lab, that kind of thing? you won't use much of it directly when writing fpga code but knowing it as background helps a lot

if you're comfortable with firmware you can probably just crack a 101 level digital logic design textbook and learn much of what you need on your own

the step after would be learning a hardware description language (hdl). the two dominant ones are vhdl and (system)verilog. they're both poo poo, in their own ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah i mean i get how it works on a conceptual level, i'm just wondering how easy it would be to get a job with no prior experience.

• Locked thread