Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Also if anyone feels like making another grimdark fantasy action RPG based on novels, there are plenty of great settings to choose from. Glen Cook's Black Company, the torrents of blood in Joe Abercrombie's books, hell even Earthsea (although it's much less bloody and more stuff of PG13 legends). I would love to see someone try to make sense out of Gene Wolfe too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

gwent is real dumb and its really annoying getting gwent quests that just take up space in your quest log

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

WoodrowSkillson posted:

gwent is real dumb and its really annoying getting gwent quests that just take up space in your quest log
Look at this bad opinion.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I fire up W3 to try to advance the plot a bit more, but nope--G.R.E.A.M.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Joe Abercrombie setting is pretty drat similar, with Gurkhul = Nilfgaard and Union = North/Redania. Large slave society expansionist empire to the south? Corrupt and only somewhat less expansionist monarchy? Manipulative wizards with their own agenda? There's not a good analog for abercrombie's north (Skellige easily fills the role in the game but obviously that's not as relevant as the north in ...abercrombieland)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 29, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think I avoided the bad ending by a single choice playing completely blind. I am a barely adequate dad. :toot:

I too really, really want Cirri DLC. She's just so much fun to play.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Moridin920 posted:

wanna play gwent irl

:getin:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

OAquinas posted:

I dunno. Leather dress and open-toe sandals doesn't seem very useful to me. I mean, Ciri's default outfit isn't very tough, but at least it was practical (heeled boots aside, anyway).

The armor on the far left looks better than what she wears in the game imo

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Sindai posted:

I think I avoided the bad ending by a single choice playing completely blind. I am a mediocre dad. :toot:

:hf:

I want ploughin' Thaler DL cocksucking C.

Can't you switch over the Ciri at any time through console commands if you want to cruise around witchering as her?

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

eXXon posted:

Also if anyone feels like making another grimdark fantasy action RPG based on novels, there are plenty of great settings to choose from. Glen Cook's Black Company, the torrents of blood in Joe Abercrombie's books, hell even Earthsea (although it's much less bloody and more stuff of PG13 legends). I would love to see someone try to make sense out of Gene Wolfe too.

A "Book of the new sun" game would be worth it just to see it break the minds 80% of its players .

" congratulations you just unlocked the: Grandmas boy achivement"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Most of that is just how the books are written tho

I wouldn't mind seeing the sky whales and other weird stuff from The Black Company in a game

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I spoiled myself on the ending choices, because I saw too many bits and pieces and thumbnails tempt me. :smith:

Then I read about the choices and and felt less bad about spoiling myself because I would totally have made barely adequate Witcherdad playing blinds as well, because my Geralt is a big softie at heart. :colbert:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Gilganixon posted:

:hf:

I want ploughin' Thaler DL cocksucking C.

Can't you switch over the Ciri at any time through console commands if you want to cruise around witchering as her?

Yeah, but you don't get any of those sweet dulcet tones in conversations and all that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

endgame stuff Do you still get to see the conversation Ciri has with Philippa if you let her go alone? I went with her because I, the player, wanted to know what she said, not because I thought it was the right thing to do.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I'd be happy with a new witcher protagonist and all new characters and settings. There are plenty of references to other witcher schools and whatnot so its not like they are married to the northern kingdoms. Might be cool to see some more environments then Fantasy Poland. Some deserts, maybe a jungle, carribean islands a la asscreed black flag, that kinda stuff.
Yeah, I might be a bit dull but I'd like to be able to create my own Witcher and set out fresh, if CDProject ever gets to do another Witcher title.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

endgame stuff Do you still get to see the conversation Ciri has with Philippa if you let her go alone? I went with her because I, the player, wanted to know what she said, not because I thought it was the right thing to do.

Nope, Geralt and Yen stand outside the room and debate whether it's right or not to try and listen in. Well, Geralt debates. Yen pretty much immediately puts her ear to the door, but isn't able to make out much.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I think all the constant counting would really slow down the game. Also, the rules need some tweaking regarding heroes, maybe a strength boost to spies to make the card exchange a bit more risky?

With a heavy rules tweak, a Gwent iOS/Android game? That's something I'd play. Sans in-game purchases, of course.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Also horde cards, imagine a deck stacked with a hundred ghouls compared to just the three the game gives you.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Did anyone accidentally kill Dudu? How does Ciri react?
:ohdear: how do you do this?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Gwent is really loving awesome... until you get to the point in the game where every game is just "play all your spies, decoys and medics so you have a bajillion cards in your hand and win with ten thousand points." Early on though you actually have to strategize and get a little lucky in some cases. In any case it's a million times better than "WHY THE gently caress DID ALL MY DICE JUST ROLL OFF THE BOARD I BARELY TOUCHED THE CONTROLS gently caress THIS GAME FOREVER" dice poker from the second game.

I look forward to there being some more DLC cards/card types to add some diversity to the "All spies all the time" endgame.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

How about a card that goes in the commander horn slot, and halves the value of all cards on that row(multiplier = 0.5), then each time a card enters the opponent's hand, it doubles the multiplier? (Alternatively it starts at doing nothing and adds 1 to the multiplier for each card draw/spy.)

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Manatee Cannon posted:

she burned out her ability to use regular magic

(Ciri chat)

Hmm, what? When and how did this happen?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

jaete posted:

(Ciri chat)

Hmm, what? When and how did this happen?

Books.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ice Fist posted:

Gwent is really loving awesome... until you get to the point in the game where every game is just "play all your spies, decoys and medics so you have a bajillion cards in your hand and win with ten thousand points." Early on though you actually have to strategize and get a little lucky in some cases. In any case it's a million times better than "WHY THE gently caress DID ALL MY DICE JUST ROLL OFF THE BOARD I BARELY TOUCHED THE CONTROLS gently caress THIS GAME FOREVER" dice poker from the second game.

I look forward to there being some more DLC cards/card types to add some diversity to the "All spies all the time" endgame.

they could have just done like, poker, or really anything that's not medieval pokemons

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I really didn't want to play gwent at all, but now some stupid quest is making me either play it or let some peasant die.

Poker, spades, rummy, anything would be cooler than loving gwent. Also, I'm pretty sure a real middle ages gwent game would be flooded with counterfeit cards so the whole idea of a bunch of underworld thugs killing each other over pokemon cards is hella stupid.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I just let that guy die because gently caress it. Geralt's rejection of the offer is voice acted so over-the-top coldly that I couldn't even feel bad about it cause I was busy laughing.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

they could have just done like, poker, or really anything that's not medieval pokemons

Videogame poker is super boring, gwent is silly but at least it gives you the illusion of multiple viable strategies. Videogame poker is literally just applying a formula, it's not interesting at all. I think it's pretty good as far as throwaway videogame minigames go.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crappy Jack posted:

Nope, Geralt and Yen stand outside the room and debate whether it's right or not to try and listen in. Well, Geralt debates. Yen pretty much immediately puts her ear to the door, but isn't able to make out much.

Yen is great.

radiatinglines posted:

I really didn't want to play gwent at all, but now some stupid quest is making me either play it or let some peasant die.

Poker, spades, rummy, anything would be cooler than loving gwent. Also, I'm pretty sure a real middle ages gwent game would be flooded with counterfeit cards so the whole idea of a bunch of underworld thugs killing each other over pokemon cards is hella stupid.

just play the stupid card game jesus christ (or don't, you don't have to play it)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I think spades to 150-200 points would make for a good videogame card game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Gwent is really cool for a minigame and imo definitely better than poker.

We had dice poker in Witcher 2, boy let me tell you how crazy fun it was, after winning a bit gold at the beginning it made no sense touching it outside of the dice poker championships in each new area that you could be done with in 5 minutes and it took longer to run between different players than to beat them. Gwent has a much better reward system with new cards dropping when you win so you want to play with everybody.

I look at it as the most complex and actually motivating collectible in an open world game that I've seen. Think GTA's hidden packages but ones that you can play with that has an actual system, graphics etc. I think it's brilliant.

It's true that later Gwent is piss easy and they could really do something about balancing that and make Elven and Monster decks better but it's still cool. I'm hoping for Enhanced Edition in that regard. I agree that blacksmiths, aristocracy and regular people throughout the land all playing freaking Magic The Gathering is ridiculous but I understand this is to give the player something interesting to play so I approve.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

Yen is great.
She is. Triss is cool but has 0 pun conversations. Sorry Triss.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Palpek posted:

It's true that later Gwent is piss easy and they could really do something about balancing that and make Elven and Monster decks better but it's still cool. I'm hoping for Enhanced Edition in that regard. I agree that blacksmiths, aristocracy and regular people throughout the land all playing freaking Magic The Gathering is ridiculous but I understand this is to give the player something interesting to play so I approve.

The game against Sasha in the tournament is the least fun in the entirety of Gwent since it's just you both laying tonnes of spies and decoying them into your hand.

Every other match in the game was a cakewalk for me but that one was genuinely really hard.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I had a game against a monster deck where the RNG worked really well for the opponent and it became interesting when he was flooding the table with monsters. I see a potential in that but they need to give the monster deck more power. Having effect cards that you can only put in particualr decks could be cool. The monster effect cards could have the exclusive power of resurrecting the opponents cards that you can use as yours for example or they could have better destruction cards etc.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Did anyone accidentally kill Dudu? How does Ciri react?

If you're referring to the quest after you return to Novigrad, you can't.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Palpek posted:

I had a game against a monster deck where the RNG worked really well for the opponent and it became interesting when he was flooding the table with monsters. I see a potential in that but they need to give the monster deck more power. Having effect cards that you can only put in particualr decks could be cool. The monster effect cards could have the exclusive power of resurrecting the opponents cards that you can use as yours for example or they could have better destruction cards etc.

I think monsters are extremely powerful but so completely reliant on melee that a biting frost will completely ruin it.
The few times I've not drawn one I've had to reload.

I know that's a really terrible gimmick but I can see it working easily against AI - just play monsters and take loads of clear weather cards.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah that works. It's not as powerful as NR overall thanks to lacking spies but it's simpler to play. Just pack melee with cards, commander's horn, clear skies if they have a frost.

I see people in this thread using decoys but I never bothered. What are they good for other than stealing spies, which is only useful if the opponent is Nilfgard or NR?

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 29, 2015

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I'm just throwing my opinion in about a Ciri Witcher game. I think it would be super loving awesome and CDPR totally needs to do it after Cyberpunk. The only two problems I see are balancing her skills so she isn't quite so overpowered and coming up with a way for her to do signs and potions and other witcher things since she doesn't have the mutations. It would also come after Cyberpunk so who know how many years it would be before it would come out.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aurain posted:

If you're referring to the quest after you return to Novigrad, you can't.

Corollary: if you don't kill Whoreson Jr earlier, that's just him there right? Not Dudu?

Lareine posted:

I'm just throwing my opinion in about a Ciri Witcher game. I think it would be super loving awesome and CDPR totally needs to do it after Cyberpunk. The only two problems I see are balancing her skills so she isn't quite so overpowered and coming up with a way for her to do signs and potions and other witcher things since she doesn't have the mutations. It would also come after Cyberpunk so who know how many years it would be before it would come out.

She can do signs I think, she still has magic powers. iirc in the very start of the game during the tutorial bit when you are 'practicing' with her you are showing her some sign usage.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sindai posted:

Yeah that works. It's not as powerful as NR overall thanks to lacking spies but it's simpler to play. Just pack melee with cards, commander's horn, clear skies if they have a frost.

I see people in this thread using decoys but I never bothered. What are they good for other than stealing spies, which is only useful if the opponent is Nilfgard or NR?

Stealing spies is never not useful and you can also use them on medics to resurrect multiple dudes.

You can also use them to snatch something back when the opponent passes and you're already ahead in points and you want to get a scorch dragon back in your hand or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

Stealing spies is never not useful and you can also use them on medics to resurrect multiple dudes.

You can also use them to snatch something back when the opponent passes and you're already ahead in points and you want to get a scorch dragon back in your hand or something.

Lets you pull powerful units out of weather affected rows too so they don't even need a unit with a specific active ability to be useful.