Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

builds character posted:

But they don't feel the same. :btroll:

a blindfolded Z3n is lead into a room and instructed to sit astride a bench. Immediately his spine is fixed, every muscle tensed as hard as it can possibly fire. He resembles an electrocution or a seizure. Slowly his world fills with pain as his body breaks down under the sensation; muscle fibers tear, the weaker vertebra fracture as his terrific lats pull them in conflicting directions, and his gums bleed as the force of his bite shatters his teeth. 15 seconds into the test he breaks from his rigor and convulses as diarrhea shoots from him. Each spasm feels like oblivion as it contorts the rest of his body into a pain-coma. Brief spurts of conciousness grace him with the hot hugs of millions of tiny suns going supernova in his nervous system. After 30 seconds his mind is blank and his mouth is a shattered porcelain rictus.

The test stops.

The disembodied voice of our host booms, Fantastical Torture Device OR DRZ?

Slavvy posted:

The hell, who did I piss off now?

Hahahaha. Someone spent a quarts worth of oil to give you a new line of text next to your Internet comedy forum handle

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Chichevache posted:

a blindfolded Z3n is lead into a room and instructed to sit astride a bench. Immediately his spine is fixed, every muscle tensed as hard as it can possibly fire. He resembles an electrocution or a seizure. Slowly his world fills with pain as his body breaks down under the sensation; muscle fibers tear, the weaker vertebra fracture as his terrific lats pull them in conflicting directions, and his gums bleed as the force of his bite shatters his teeth. 15 seconds into the test he breaks from his rigor and convulses as diarrhea shoots from him. Each spasm feels like oblivion as it contorts the rest of his body into a pain-coma. Brief spurts of conciousness grace him with the hot hugs of millions of tiny suns going supernova in his nervous system. After 30 seconds his mind is blank and his mouth is a shattered porcelain rictus.

The test stops.

The disembodied voice of our host booms, Fantastical Torture Device OR DRZ?

Hahahaha. Someone spent a quarts worth of oil to give you a new line of text next to your Internet comedy forum handle

You'd have to do better than that, I did seattle to santa barbara in 2 days on a DRZ400SM. :v:

The worst seats by far are Hondas though. No way around it, the RC51 has the worst seat ever.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Heh. nobody will even offer me insurance on a new Tuono. Second-hand ones yes, but not the new 1100 one.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

I might have an idea but then again I might not.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

kuffs posted:

6% is pretty decent on a note that small. The banks are less inclined to do all that paperwork and assume risk for something they don't stand to make much profit on. Bikes depreciate rapidly and are otherwise hard to recover and resell if you default. So typically you'll get less impressive rates.

edit: The difference between 6% and 4% is about $160 over 3 years on a 5k note

Exactly. I got 4% on my N300 and didn't even bother to negotiate. If it was a 35k car I'd have been a little more aggressive with financing.

Right now I'm on the bare BARE minimum full coverage. I was gobsmacked by how expensive bike insurance is and it hit me out of left field. I'm hoping after a year the rates will go down but right now I'm paying the same for the 300 as I am for a BMW and Runner combined, either of which is worth more than the Ninja.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Slavvy posted:

The hell man. I don't even know.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

revmoo posted:

Exactly. I got 4% on my N300 and didn't even bother to negotiate. If it was a 35k car I'd have been a little more aggressive with financing.

Right now I'm on the bare BARE minimum full coverage. I was gobsmacked by how expensive bike insurance is and it hit me out of left field. I'm hoping after a year the rates will go down but right now I'm paying the same for the 300 as I am for a BMW and Runner combined, either of which is worth more than the Ninja.

Do you live in an insurance-required state? Washington doesn't require it, and biek insurance has always been super cheap for me. I wonder if there's any correlation between compulsory insurance and high prices.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Shop around, and early in your riding career, you tend to pay a lot more with a heavy drop off in the long run.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Speaking of insurance, whenever I try to get a quote the insurance websites always want to know when I got my M1 and when I got my original drivers license. I don't remember any of this, how am I supposed to figure that out? They want day granularity.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Knifegrab posted:

Speaking of insurance, whenever I try to get a quote the insurance websites always want to know when I got my M1 and when I got my original drivers license. I don't remember any of this, how am I supposed to figure that out? They want day granularity.

Sometimes that information will be on your license (no idea where the hell you are, man). I just guesstimated since I couldn't find my original date of issue.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Chichevache posted:

Sometimes that information will be on your license (no idea where the hell you are, man). I just guesstimated since I couldn't find my original date of issue.

California, looking at my license now and it only has my reissue date when I got my M1 added to it, I have no idea when I got my initial C.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Knifegrab posted:

California, looking at my license now and it only has my reissue date when I got my M1 added to it, I have no idea when I got my initial C.

Same with mine, in CA. I just put my actual M1 date and guessed for my original permit. If they need to cross check with the DMV or some stupid poo poo then they can fix it themselves based on their records. If they don't need to check it then it really doesn't matter. gently caress if I care, I pay them too much anyway to want to waste my time. :shrug:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Knifegrab posted:

What the hell kind of across-the-pond communist hogwash is this? As soon as you demonstrate that you can ride a Rebel 250 in a figure-of-8 in a parking lot without falling off, you should be able to get whatever high-test 2-wheeled monster you can afford.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

I might have an idea but then again I might not.

Coredump posted:

The hell man. I don't even know.

I've always liked how you can buy other people av's on this forum, it's like a neat little social justice type of thing that lets the population single out particularly cunty individuals and mark them as a warning to others. But it can also be a really passive-aggressive manchild's way of anonymously getting back at someone for some perceived slight.

I have no problem with people labelling me a oval office, but at least have the guts to call me a oval office to my face (figuratively) :v:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'm just speculating based on a PM I got containing an apology on your behalf for being such a oval office about Buells. It may or may not be related, probably not.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

I've always liked how you can buy other people av's on this forum, it's like a neat little social justice type of thing that lets the population single out particularly cunty individuals and mark them as a warning to others. But it can also be a really passive-aggressive manchild's way of anonymously getting back at someone for some perceived slight.

I have no problem with people labelling me a oval office, but at least have the guts to call me a oval office to my face (figuratively) :v:

It's not even a good burn. At least the :10bux: will keep the forums running for a few more minutes.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I'm disappointed that they didn't give you an actual av to go with it.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Slavvy posted:

lets the population single out particularly cunty individuals and mark them as a warning to others

The Scarlet Letters

I think it's hilarious that there was a dust-up over this word, when SA has a forum called Vaped Cunts.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

I'm just speculating based on a PM I got containing an apology on your behalf for being such a oval office about Buells. It may or may not be related, probably not.

You know my heart's in the right place :)

Marv Hushman posted:

I think it's hilarious that there was a dust-up over this word, when SA has a forum called Vaped Cunts.

Was completely unaware of this, holy poo poo.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

Go to the track. They probably ride poo poo lines that promote lean angle and then reach for the touchdown. Dragging knee all over the place doesn't mean you're going quickly.

Yup - there are plenty of tight turns on my daily commute that can easily be taken at twice the posted limit and still be nowhere near dragging knees or pegs. The number of morons I see struggling to reach their knees to the asphalt while hanging off a nearly vertical bike is mind blowing.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marv Hushman posted:

The Scarlet Letters

A lot of posters seem to forget this is a for profit comedy site and not a public forum intended for unemployed grad students.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

I'll be the first to tell you my Uly is a fuggo uggo.

Anyhow, I'm a fun motorcycle fan. Ain't my fault the Uly is the most fun, ever.

Somebodies gotta straddle the fuggo uggos. :hf:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Marv Hushman posted:

The Scarlet Letters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMvtzpigvo4

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Slavvy posted:

I've bought a couple, just to bust balls mostly, but never out of anger that's just weird.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't the older one angrier and funnier anyways? Something like "I'm a human being and my missus lacks a oval office"

Seems like a waste of :10bux:

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Someone got triggered, yo.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Chichevache posted:

He who smelt it, dealt it. :colbert:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Moving the biek talk from the "Tell me what bike to buy!" thread to this thread since it's chat.

I actually rode a ton of different bikes before I settled on the CB500FA. It was coming down to some really different bikes for different reasons:

Honda CB500FA - ABS and comfortable riding position, plus reliability, longevity and resale value
Yamaha FZ-07 - Fast
Royal Enfield Whatever-they-call-it - Looks. Literally only looks.

Ultimately practicality and longevity won out. The 500F may not be blazing fast, but it's going to keep running for years and let me explore a ton. It already feels way better to ride than anything else I've ridden (including the vaunted SV650). It may not be super flashy or quick, but it's a really solid bike.

That said, I'm already looking forward to tossing some better (read: any) luggage on it and exploring out a bit further.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Does the CB500FA have the automatic gearbox? I rode the NC700S expecting to hate it, but I really liked it. Probably gets great fuel economy as well.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Ola posted:

Does the CB500FA have the automatic gearbox? I rode the NC700S expecting to hate it, but I really liked it. Probably gets great fuel economy as well.

No, the A is just for ABS. The gas mileage is pretty good. I'm taking it easy on the engine to let it break in, but with taking it easy was averaging 55MPG around town.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Couple years ago Washington started allowing off-road motorcycles to get a light and plate kit and ride on the roads. Yesterday I saw a trials bike zipping down the highway. It did not look comfortable.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Tanbo posted:

He who smelt it, dealt it. :colbert:

That's 1/300th of whatever my next bike is going to be. No way am I skipping on a brake lever for the blandest red avatar ever

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

clutchpuck posted:

Couple years ago Washington started allowing off-road motorcycles to get a light and plate kit and ride on the roads. Yesterday I saw a trials bike zipping down the highway. It did not look comfortable.

Can't believe the suckers gave me a plate for this loving thing.

Takes about 30 minutes to swap wheels and pull the plate / lights off. Mirrors pop off in 5 seconds.

Having owned two previous supermotos, I thought I knew what I was getting into. It's completely different when it's your dirt bike. I've put hard hours in all conditions on this thing and know exactly what its capable of. I know too well what it can handle. For that reason, it's way more dangerous than your everyday SM street bike in attitude alone. The devil on my shoulder has never been louder.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

How is that even possible, don't they have super short gearing and poo poo?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I believe there are trials bikes more suited for trails with much wider ratio transmissions (they'll usually have semi-functional seats). That might be enough to get you there with some stupid gearing ratios.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Spiffness posted:

The devil on my shoulder has never been louder.

This is why I don't ride my Yamaha around very often. I cannot stay off curbs and traffic islands and stairs. It also attracts a lot of attention so it's a perfect storm. The Uly is big enough that I actually have to respect it, the DT is like a bicycle in contrast.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

So like I mentioned a page or so back, I am looking into buying my first new bike after a sleuth of used (and no, nothing will change my mind I am a big dumb idiot!).

I am calling around and getting price points from local dealers. I know sometimes people will give me a low quote and then add in hidden fees so what should I be on the look out for in terms of seedy underhanded bullshit?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

So like I mentioned a page or so back, I am looking into buying my first new bike after a sleuth of used (and no, nothing will change my mind I am a big dumb idiot!).

I am calling around and getting price points from local dealers. I know sometimes people will give me a low quote and then add in hidden fees so what should I be on the look out for in terms of seedy underhanded bullshit?

Deal 100% in OTD price, that's the most underhanded they can get with most things. They'll also try and upsell you on a longer term warranty, which is generally worthless.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If I was buying a new bike in Norway, after I had chosen which one I wanted, I would immediately check the used market for new-ish ones. It could be that this isn't necessarily the best idea in the US market, but that first hit of depreciation is brand new riding gear or a vacation trip for basically zero loss in usable motorcycle value. Unless the PO was an asshat, which you can never truly know unless you pay the price of knowledge ( = a new bike).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
In ongoing "gently caress insurance companies" news, thought I'd have a play around and see how much (or even if) I'd get quoted on various bikes on my shortlist plus a few outliers to get a range.

First of all, nobody on comparethemarket would even quote me for a Tuono or Super Duke. Like not even bothering to put in the ridiculous "ten times the value of the bike" quote I saw when I was in my twenties with a brand new license and was looking at R1s. Just plain "Nope, not even touching that".

Surprisingly Bennetts were willing to quote me on an S1000R - £1428!

For context, I'm 39, had a full license (with no points) for 17 years and have been riding for 20, 6 years NCB. Quotes are for TPF&T, SDP&C*, 6k miles a year, for a bike parked on the street (I realise this is probably what hurts me the most but after being hosed over in the past by insurer definitions of "garage" and "drive" parking I just say street to avoid fuckeries if the worst happens), in the middle of London, all quotes were for a new bike insured for its full RRP, and I completely ignored MCE with their absolutely loving ridiculous involuntary excess.

Context - the best quote I got on my 6-year-old Shiver was around £200.

To give me a low mark I asked for insurance on a CB125F - £235. What.. Apparently my bike is less desirable to thieves and cheaper to replace than a CB125F. THIS CONFUSES AND INFURIATES ME.

A new Shiver comes in at £453, with the Striple R and MT-09 at around £550. Monster 821 and Agusta Brutale both sit around £650 - a bit silly but I suppose they are more expensive and have tricker bits, so not completely unreasonable.

CB1000R - only one company willing to quote me - £1300. Apparently there's a hidden underworld of Honda ownership that makes them almost as dangerous as the S1000R - who knew?

Then the most ridiculous ones - GSR750 £327, and the GSXS1000 £426. Apparently even thieves have more pride than to go Suzuki.

I have to admit this basically solidifies the GSXS as my next bike - I know part of it is that it's not been sold long enough for them to have decent actuary data on it yet, but I'd have thought that would have led to them quoting high rather than low especially given the hooligan reputation of the donor bike. Maybe they've got it confused with the old GSXF?

* Third Party (the equivalent of American liability insurance I believe), Fire & Theft insurance, on a bike used for Social, Domestic, Pleasure, and Commuting (some insurers won't cover you for that last unless you also insure it for business use).