Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
Im not going to lie i was suprised some people bothered with the forms for canning at all. At pope in the 23rd Mx we never filled out the forms for canning we just called it night ops. It usually take a month of hard work to get a A-10 from cann status back it flying shape mostly with taking parts from the next cann bird and the cycle of life continues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Koesj posted:

Outside of lol canada, if its something like a norad mission wouldn't it be sensible to do some burden sharing seeing as how its the country situated between most of the US and Russia?

Canada shares the burden by staffing the Alaska AWACS squadron with RCAF personnel and in other pertinent units. They launch their hornets when Russia penetrates the Canadian outer ADIZ as well.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I know the RAF uses Newfoundland/Labrador for their cold weather training, maybe they use Gander in summer for their biting insects training (Manitoba being too far).

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Jealous Cow posted:

I recently changed jobs and United is specifically not one of our "preferred" airlines. That honor is reserved for Delta and American. I fly about 100k miles a year and have 1k status with UA.

I mostly fly out of RIC and CLE to LHR, Central Europe, Oslo, and Melbourne.

I'm considering doing a status match and switching to either Delta or AA. I'm the type that pays for the most expensive credit card they offer in order to get as many perks as possible including club access. Any suggestions on which I should consider?

Edit: about 75% of the travel is usually booked on the cheapest economy fare available, so 1/2 qualifying points or whatever on AA.

Flew almost exclusively on Delta for the past two years. They are generally pretty good. With the status you'll hit it'll be even easier. DL business class on international flights are awesome. I actually enjoyed my flight from LHR to MSP, crew was cool as poo poo. Been a long time since I could say that. gently caress LHR security though.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I just got buzzed by something shiny and chrome, anyone have any ideas based off my lovely picture I managed to snap before the thunder rolled on?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

14 INCH SLIT posted:

I just got buzzed by something shiny and chrome, anyone have any ideas based off my lovely picture I managed to snap before the thunder rolled on?

North American B-25.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Koesj posted:

Outside of lol canada, if its something like a norad mission wouldn't it be sensible to do some burden sharing seeing as how its the country situated between most of the US and Russia?

That's kind of the whole point of NORAD though, we share...not the US handles all intercepts. Like hb pointed out Canada already contributes to manning relevant units and usually the CF-18s are tagged to sit alert in defense of the Canadian ADIZ. Just really odd that there would be USAF F-15s hanging out in Gander potentially sitting alert. Transiting I'd understand, but it sounds like they've been there a while.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Six of them are bombing poo poo there, but that still leaves something like 73 in operational use according to wikipedia. Maybe six at a operational tempo uses up all the CF-18 flying' money?

e: for clarity

Yeah...I'd find that hard to believe, because even taking into account lol Canada they should still at least be able to sit alert. It's not like we're talking about flying a shitload of hours per day, if you're cocked on alert most of the time you're sitting on the ground.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

iyaayas01 posted:

Yeah...I'd find that hard to believe, because even taking into account lol Canada they should still at least be able to sit alert. It's not like we're talking about flying a shitload of hours per day, if you're cocked on alert most of the time you're sitting on the ground.

True. While I don't know if they've been flying, from the looks of things they've been sitting for a few weeks at this point.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

StandardVC10 posted:

North American B-25.

Thanks! A few minutes later a bigger one flew by but it was further away and I couldn't get even a silhouette. But it sounded like the same engine rumble, but had 4 engines and a single central tail fin that was very reminiscent of the tail of a C130. Wish I knew planes better.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Thanks! A few minutes later a bigger one flew by but it was further away and I couldn't get even a silhouette. But it sounded like the same engine rumble, but had 4 engines and a single central tail fin that was very reminiscent of the tail of a C130. Wish I knew planes better.

B-29 :)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nebakenezzer posted:

Six of them are bombing poo poo there, but that still leaves something like 73 in operational use according to wikipedia. Maybe six at a operational tempo uses up all the CF-18 flying' money?

e: for clarity

I don't think you're far off. It's not cheap to send a detachment to a relatively austere location and have them operate for extended periods of time.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 29, 2015

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Godholio posted:

something from New England.

That would be the 104th Fighter Wing (Air National Guard F-15C/D) out of Barnes ANGB just outside of Springfield, Massachusetts (and practically spitting distance from Westover ARB, which hosts the 439th Airlift Wing [Air Force Reserve C-5s]). Maybe also (probably depending on maintenance issues) 158th Fighter Wing out of Burlington, VT (ANG F-16C/D Block 30).

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 29, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

yep, that was Fifi. 14" it was these guys: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collings_Foundation

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

found in the 'related videos' on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWg7IpphPc8

"We're fully ready for take-off (but we're still doing checklists)!"

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Alpine Mustache posted:

found in the 'related videos' on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWg7IpphPc8

"We're fully ready for take-off (but we're still doing checklists)!"

Ah the comments.

In the US, turbine powered aircraft are expected to be ready for departure upon reaching the holdshort point at the end of the runway.

American Airlines is notorious for taking additional time to run checklists post-takeoff clearance. At my sleepy little airport, it just means that I never try to depart them ahead of traffic if it's even remotely close.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Psion posted:

yep, that was Fifi. 14" it was these guys: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collings_Foundation

Negative, it's the Commemorative Air Force that has Fifi. Collings Foundation has a pretty legit B-24 though, plus a B-17 (14"'s description matches one of these too) and a B-25.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

Ah the comments.

In the US, turbine powered aircraft are expected to be ready for departure upon reaching the holdshort point at the end of the runway.

American Airlines is notorious for taking additional time to run checklists post-takeoff clearance. At my sleepy little airport, it just means that I never try to depart them ahead of traffic if it's even remotely close.

My favorite was always the defeated, dejected tone of voice you hear when a crew has to tell tower that they cant depart due to a passenger in the lav. I always felt really bad for them... While I laughed so hard my chest hurt.

(Also, if you're getting up to take a leak during the loving taxi-out, you are everything that is wrong with modern western civilization.)

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

Negative, it's the Commemorative Air Force that has Fifi. Collings Foundation has a pretty legit B-24 though, plus a B-17 (14"'s description matches one of these too) and a B-25.

It was likely CAF's B-25 though, since it's painted silver (which would look like bare metal from a distance) whereas Collings' B-25 is olive drab

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

The last time I took a poo poo at Mach 0.8, I got this view

Thanks SAS for having a window in the business class shitter

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah the shiny and chrome was because it was definitely silver, I thought it was polished like some older aircraft pictures I've seen but far enough away it could have merely been silver paint.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Fayez Butts posted:

Tin Tin owns, you should read it.

Plus it has the awesome sequence of landing a (small) trijet on a temporary airstrip.
http://i.imgur.com/Ithv2Hb.png

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

~Coxy posted:

Plus it has the awesome sequence of landing a (small) trijet on a temporary airstrip.

Tin-Tin must have magnetic shoes to have not been turned into windshield paste.

Oh wait, that's not Tin-Tin, it's the flight engineer. drat gingers all look alike. :bahgawd:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 29, 2015

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

~Coxy posted:

Why does a french aircraft under a french airline with a french pilot have a british G-reg ? And where's the damned intake for engine #3 ?

Goddamned Hergé, get your poo poo in gear.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

SybilVimes posted:

Why does a french aircraft under a french airline with a french pilot have a british G-reg ? And where's the damned intake for engine #3 ?

Intakes are on the sides, and I think they're stealing it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Solar Impulse is making it's second attempt to fly from Japan to Hawaii on only solar power

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-33244912

BBC posted:

"Andre Borschberg has passed the point of no return and must now see this 5 days 5 nights flight through to the end...He will only be allowed to take 20-minute cat-naps,"

I did some offshore sailing with just my buddy for four days and by day three we were pretty loopy, and we had originally started off with 4 hour "nap shifts" starting around day 2. Which slowly decreased to 3 hour, then 2 hour, then 30 minute shifts, as the person steering the boat could only stay awake that long. I'm honestly a little concerned for this guy.

Maybe he's going to wake up for 5 minutes to scan through a checklist and look for red lights, then resume sleeping for 20 more minutes if everything is green?

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 29, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SybilVimes posted:

I think you mean engine #2.

:goonsay:

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Where do you live? Yesterday The AZ CAF's B-25 and B-17 took off from Fargo to go to Winnipeg.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

MrYenko posted:

My favorite was always the defeated, dejected tone of voice you hear when a crew has to tell tower that they cant depart due to a passenger in the lav. I always felt really bad for them... While I laughed so hard my chest hurt.

(Also, if you're getting up to take a leak during the loving taxi-out, you are everything that is wrong with modern western civilization.)

Lavatory needs a seatbelt/seatbelt light. Also disable the flush mechanism during takeoff. :itwaspoo:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I didn't think you were allowed to even get up during the taxi out. Is this airline specific?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

EightBit posted:

I didn't think you were allowed to even get up during the taxi out. Is this airline specific?

"Not allowed" does not mean "physically impossible"

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Leviathor posted:

Where do you live? Yesterday The AZ CAF's B-25 and B-17 took off from Fargo to go to Winnipeg.

Seattle, both were heading north to south down the relative centerline of the city but I don't know if that means anything other than having to fly at certain altitudes in certain directions

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

StandardVC10 posted:

yeah, whoops, got that mixed up. Maybe both of them were in town? I definitely saw the Collings B-24 though. (http://www.collingsfoundation.org/event/seattle-wa/)

but I didn't see a B-29. I don't think Fifi's in Seattle this week anyway.

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 29, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SybilVimes posted:

It's a billionaire's private aircraft, which has been hijacked. I forgot most of the plot; but their aim was to kidnap said billionaire in order to attempt to extort money from him.

The billionaire was Hergé's interpretation of Marcel Dassault, by the way, so that's why his private jet was a fancy variable-sweep wing supersonic bizjet, designed and drawn by one of Hergé's assistants, Roger Leloup, who is mostly famous for a comic series full of aircraft, futuristic gizmos, and bona fide alien space ships.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Aerodynamics of the 37 Viggen aircraft. Part 1: general - characteristics at low speed

Some of you nerds might just be far enough gone that you'll read 145 pages of aerodynamical theory discussing the relative merits of a canard delta wing configuration when applied to the conflicting requirements of a supersonic fighter that is also supposed to have STOL characteristics, so I'll leave this link here. Saab rejected the swing-wing configuration as being too expensive and complicated and designed the first production canard jet (XB-70 predated it by a few years) instead and this explains how it works.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Psion posted:

I think it was their B-17 I saw yesterday. I was driving so taking a pic wasn't feasible. Had the tail painted like the one in that pic.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Solar impulse crossed the point of no return leaving Japan about 6 hours ago, so he's either on his way to Hawaii, or will crash land somewhere in the Pacific, unless he's able to divert North to Midway Island! Four more days left on his solo flight attempt.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Midway's pretty close to his flight path (and it looks to be actually a little south) but there isn't much there and I don't know how much runway he needs for that thing. Still, any port in a storm! And hopefully it won't matter anyway.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Prop Wash posted:

Midway's pretty close to his flight path (and it looks to be actually a little south) but there isn't much there and I don't know how much runway he needs for that thing. Still, any port in a storm! And hopefully it won't matter anyway.

It lands at running pace, so probably not a whole lot. It's more he needs a wide-rear end runway, that thing is as wide as a 747 and a hell of a lot flimsier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

"Not allowed" does not mean "physically impossible"

Indeed, I've been on a Ryanair flight where the seatbelt lights had been on for a long while due to turbulence, someone got up and went to the toilet, flight attendents did nothing. Soon there was a queue. Flight attendents still did nothing.
Thought about complaining but it's Ryanair so I imagine their reply would have simply been an image of Michael O'Leary's raised middle finger.