Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Jedit posted:

The best thing about Star Citizen is that Elite: Dangerous is complete and released.

Complete is a bit of a stretch. There's barely anything to do, it needs a few convenience things and to explain poo poo better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Over 900k people have pledged $84 million to Star Citizen over the past 3 years. It's still making multiple millions every month.

It'll either be one the of the most incredible game experiences ever or one of the most colossal failures in industry history.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Great Rumbler posted:

Over 900k people have pledged $84 million to Star Citizen over the past 3 years. It's still making multiple millions every month.

It'll either be one the of the most incredible game experiences ever or one of the most colossal failures in industry history.

I unironically hope that it crashes game industry like E.T. back in the day.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Madcosby posted:

so he based his opinion solely off the color of their skin

Oh Jesus, he said that the photos showing Asian people made him think it was a Chinese scam, he wasn't making a value judgment on the loving people of China.
Jesus Christ, stop clasping your pearls over poo poo like this.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Great Rumbler posted:

why are people giving so much money to a game that doesn't exist yet

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Pick posted:

i own console

So? Eventually you'll have to buy a new one.

EDIT: Then again, you like DA:2 so you're probably not going anywhere soon.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Non Serviam posted:

Oh Jesus, he said that the photos showing Asian people made him think it was a Chinese scam, he wasn't making a value judgment on the loving people of China.
Jesus Christ, stop clasping your pearls over poo poo like this.

Why would posting photos of Asian people make it a Chinese scam? That's a really dumb assumption to jump to, and then share. The track record would hold that photos of white fuckers with beards has the strongest correlation to failure and scams, but I don't see him posting anything about the honky menace. . . Hm.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

why are people giving so much money to a game that doesn't exist yet
I don't think you get Kickstarter. It's all about throwing money at hopes and dreams. Sort of like owning a boat.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Sorry for the multi page racism derail. What I wrote totally reads as racist, no digging up from that but that's not what I intended. I'll just leave it as a dumb, poorly worded statement. :saddowns:

Now how about that Star Citizen? Truly it's the worst kickstarter. :haw:

EDIT: Ha ha, they delayed again. Surprise surprise, the FPS module was supposed to be out in March.

Snuffman has a new favorite as of 16:58 on Jun 29, 2015

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Paladinus posted:

I unironically hope that it crashes game industry like E.T. back in the day.
E.T. didn't cause the game industry crash, and this piece of poo poo money black hole is going to do even less to it, because all most people are going to say when it happens is "What's Star Citizen?" Because that's exactly how important it actually is to anyone who isn't hovering around kickstarters all day.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Why would posting photos of Asian people make it a Chinese scam? That's a really dumb assumption to jump to, and then share. The track record would hold that photos of white fuckers with beards has the strongest correlation to failure and scams, but I don't see him posting anything about the honky menace. . . Hm.

You're right, I'm sure he's planning to shoot up a Chinese restaurant.
Jesus, I don't know how you people function.

Edit. Retarded typo

Redrum and Coke has a new favorite as of 00:19 on Jun 30, 2015

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

I'm sure he's planking

Never forget ab work in between racism :smuggo:

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Why would posting photos of Asian people make it a Chinese scam?

Slow down and read the post carefully. He worries that his post will sound racist because they're Asian. He's not talking about Chinese bulk purchases because they're Asian. He's talking about Chinese bulk purchases because that's a common kickstarter scam.

I know it's fun to be morally outraged, but there's no way to interpret the original sentence as making judgements based on race. Only if you skip and rearrange the words does that happen.

Edit: Oh this is fun, when I want a tiny band of fabric for a wallet I know my first thought is attaching a giant battery pack to it. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1078411325/e-wallet-the-smart-charging-wallet

Dylan16807 has a new favorite as of 00:02 on Jun 30, 2015

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

To stop the derail...

PathAsc posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/862339253/fahrenheit-2451-preserve-your-data-for-eternity/description

Sweet, I'd love to have something I can't edit, can't read without expensive and bulky hardware, or is even convenient at all. I guess it'd be OK for a time capsule.

This one is one of the dumbest loving things I've seen here, because it actually tries to paint itself as a real backup solution. It's not even (like the hipster kickstarters that just repackage something that already exists) something usable yet overpriced, it's just completely useless for its described purpose. Not only is it useless to backup software, audio or video, but it's also absolutely impractical for recovering the backed up data.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

They're just reinventing microfiche.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Collateral Damage posted:

They're just reinventing microfiche.

But it's nano, so it has to be at least 1,000× better than microfiche.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The nanoform thing is clearly more of an art piece than an actual backup solution. You can probably project images on your wall with a torch, too. It's overpriced, of course, but I can see why someone would want to put it on a shelf. You can engrave something with sentimental value like your wedding vows with a photo, for example, or your child's birth certificate.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Collateral Damage posted:

They're just reinventing microfish.

:downsrim:

sorry

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

You can engrave something with sentimental value like your wedding vows with a photo, for example, or your child's birth certificate.

It's the nerd version of these

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Paladinus posted:

The nanoform thing is clearly more of an art piece than an actual backup solution. You can probably project images on your wall with a torch, too. It's overpriced, of course, but I can see why someone would want to put it on a shelf. You can engrave something with sentimental value like your wedding vows with a photo, for example, or your child's birth certificate.

I agree with you, but that's not how they want to present it; they're showing it as a backup solution.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Snuffman posted:

This is going to sound racist, cause I noticed the whole team behind this is asian, but this seriously looks like one of those scam Kickstarters where they act like they "invented" something but in reality they just bought a bunch of inventory from a shady Chinese factory. I mean, it even LOOKS like a cheap knockoff, its so ugly.

Yup. My alarm clock has all these things and looks a hell of a lot nicer too.

http://jnpgadgets.com/home-gadgets/homtime-c1-white-simply-alarm-clock-usb-charger-thermometer.html

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

holy poo poo... that's just loving shameless.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Well, barring my horrible racist statement (which was wrong, but also wrongly interpreted: I meant to say I didn't want to appear racist by saying they bought them from an Asian reseller because they were all Asian. Poorly worded, I sounded totally racist. Whoops.), I was right about the whole resell thing.

Oh, and their logo was awful.

Snuffman has a new favorite as of 14:42 on Jun 30, 2015

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Non Serviam posted:

To stop the derail...

This one is one of the dumbest loving things I've seen here, because it actually tries to paint itself as a real backup solution. It's not even (like the hipster kickstarters that just repackage something that already exists) something usable yet overpriced, it's just completely useless for its described purpose. Not only is it useless to backup software, audio or video, but it's also absolutely impractical for recovering the backed up data.

lmao not only is it gonna get funded but it's a staff pick.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Wait a second. $53? On kickstarter you can pledge $34 to get one.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Paladinus posted:

Wait a second. $53? On kickstarter you can pledge $34 to get one.

Bulk purchasing often leads to a cheaper price per unit.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Non Serviam posted:

holy poo poo... that's just loving shameless.
Love how they went through the effort to make fake protoypes, schematics and all that poo poo.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Greece is 340 billion euros in debt and is about to default on a 1.6 billion scheduled payment, throwing the country into economic chaos? How can I help?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/greek-bailout-fund#/story

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
It may still be legit. They didn't change the company name or anything, and the C1 doesn't have the SD card slot that the C1pro does. It may be just the company using kickstarter mostly for advertising.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Guys, that's the same company (Homtime) that made that product. The kickstarter is for an improved version of the alarm clock: The C1 Pro.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Phanatic posted:

Greece is 340 billion euros in debt and is about to default on a 1.6 billion scheduled payment, throwing the country into economic chaos? How can I help?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/greek-bailout-fund#/story

I'm surprised it's a fixed funding campaign.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Dylan16807 posted:

He's talking about Chinese bulk purchases because that's a common kickstarter scam.

For example, every single decorative tungsten cube/sphere kickstarter - you can go on alibaba and buy bulk tungsten cut to whatever dimensions you specify if your ordering quantity is enough. All you gotta do is QC the rejects, polish and repackage.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

wa27 posted:

Guys, that's the same company (Homtime) that made that product. The kickstarter is for an improved version of the alarm clock: The C1 Pro.

Yeah, it's actually a pretty neat way of going about it too.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Paladinus posted:

That is an art piece in the same way that perler bead NES characters are art pieces

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Prop Wash posted:

That is an art piece in the same way that perler bead NES characters are art pieces

Both are most definitely art. You may have an opinion on how good or bad it is, but it's still art.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TetsuoTW posted:

do you wipe your cut/uncut dick back-to-front or front-to-back, or does that depend on whether the toilet paper is hung over or under while women in video games?
Almost a page of stupid nerd arguments and nobody raised the one relevant one:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gramovox/floating-recordtm-vertical-turntable
loving belt drive, seriously. Direct drive has been better since the late 70s.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

800,000 doll hairs. Jesus wept.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
We can close the thread now, I found the Dumbest loving Thing for sale and it isn't even a kickstarter.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

We can close the thread now, I found the Dumbest loving Thing for sale and it isn't even a kickstarter.

I mean yeah it's retarded but caffeinated mints aren't exactly mindblowingly dumb as a business idea because they've been done and I would imagine tons of idiots buy into it, given this one advertises itself as "tacticool only :c00l:"

The only dumb ones are those who actually buy em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/304663181/slip-cuptm-clean-beer-pong

This seems unnecessary. At least the reward levels are cheap, though it seems like you could wholesale enough for less than 70k.