Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Rutibex posted:

They had a really great way in Fallout 1&2 of preventing low level character from killing guys and taking their super powerful weapons. Get this, the NPCs in question would turn around and blast your rear end into mist. Go ahead and try to take the Bozars from the guards in NCR, I dare you :v:

You see what they did wrong there was not level scaling them down to your level and making them immortal. Reloading your save when you gently caress up is just too hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Capn Beeb posted:

Did they honestly say that?

T. Howard stares directly into his webcam--it is set up in some sort of "man cave" with generic French posters and unintelligible framed "schematics".

"I've never been a fan of multiple ammunition types. They seem...redundant." He holds his hand up to the camera and pinches the space between his thumb and forefinger. "7.62 caliber." He squeezes them closer together. "5.56 caliber." He alternates between these two "measurements" several times for further illustration. "There's virtually no difference between the two. Why should our players have...have cluttered inventories because they need to carry...7.62 caliber, 50 millimeter, shotgun gauges, high powered rounds...? That's crazy. Invisible War was ahead of its time by choosing a universal ammo; it streamlines the player-game interface and allows them to focus on the rich narrative tapestry we've woven for them.

"In twenty years from now, I want people to look back at Fallout 4 and say: 'Just like Invisible War, it was ahead of its time.'"

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

OwlFancier posted:

That also was pretty good, loading laser rifles with max charged ammo made them into good sniper rifles but burned through the durability. I hope at least someone mods in the ability to load FO4 guns with like, .700 nitro express or something,

More big bore double rifles in video games would be loving awesome. Get your strength to 10 and you get to equip a 2 bore rifle :getin:

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

T. Howard stares directly into his webcam--it is set up in some sort of "man cave" with generic French posters and unintelligible framed "schematics".

"I've never been a fan of multiple ammunition types. They seem...redundant." He holds his hand up to the camera and pinches the space between his thumb and forefinger. "7.62 caliber." He squeezes them closer together. "5.56 caliber." He alternates between these two "measurements" several times for further illustration. "There's virtually no difference between the two. Why should our players have...have cluttered inventories because they need to carry...7.62 caliber, 50 millimeter, shotgun gauges, high powered rounds...? That's crazy. Invisible War was ahead of its time by choosing a universal ammo; it streamlines the player-game interface and allows them to focus on the rich narrative tapestry we've woven for them.

"In twenty years from now, I want people to look back at Fallout 4 and say: 'Just like Invisible War, it was ahead of its time.'"

:gonk:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Walrus Pete posted:

Fallout 1 and 2 didn't have weapon durability and they didn't suffer for it, I don't see why Fallout 4 can't do something similar.

Fallout 1 and 2 are completely different genres of game made in a different decade.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Crabtree posted:

For hacking they could just take the pipboy games you can play and have them start out as programs you start trying to rewrite computers and then take with you after you beat the machine. There's only a finite number of them, but its better than find the right word puzzle for a third round. For lockpicking, you're probably hosed as any attempt to change that up besides making like a craftable multitool that opens anything and is used up would probably be even more tedium than usual.

I think the way to do it is to leave the mini games alone, mostly. Instead of making the skill check a gateway to determine if you can even try, maybe raise the difficulty of it based on your skill. But primarily make the skill check about your ability to force the lock/password. Very rarely is the Force option really useful/viable in NV. Just make it so that anything below your skill level is automatically a 100% chance to Force. Then have the percentage drop off based on how far below the cutoff your skill level is. Although, I guess that's moot since skills may be out entirely. But I think that's how it should have been done in 3/NV.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Is using your weapon until it breaks seriously a problem for people playing F3/NV? The game literally warns you when it's about to happen and there are both items to repair it with and people who can do repairs in abundance (to say nothing of weapon repair kits and Jury Rigging in NV). I think it maybe happened to me twice in the 300+ hours I've played.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Wasn't Invisible War way ahead of its time at being a lovely sequel?

T.Howard's dream- Fallout 4: Setting the new standard for fanbase disappointment

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Q_res posted:

I think the way to do it is to leave the mini games alone, mostly. Instead of making the skill check a gateway to determine if you can even try, maybe raise the difficulty of it based on your skill. But primarily make the skill check about your ability to force the lock/password. Very rarely is the Force option really useful/viable in NV. Just make it so that anything below your skill level is automatically a 100% chance to Force. Then have the percentage drop off based on how far below the cutoff your skill level is. Although, I guess that's moot since skills may be out entirely. But I think that's how it should have been done in 3/NV.

Yeah, the first time I forced a 90%+ lock and it broke I just stopped using that feature. Not locking myself out of the thing forever even if it's a low chance.

Alternatively have the failed force punishment be a harder lock or something, not loots gone forever. That's shut risk reward even with a 1/20 failure rate.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
In a thousand years, Future-Man is going to uncover copies of Invisible War in a gilded golden sarcophagus and will use their future technology to resurrect us just so they can kill us dead again.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

In a thousand years, Future-Man is going to uncover copies of Invisible War in a gilded golden sarcophagus and will use their future technology to resurrect us just so they can kill us dead again.
I wish this technology existed now.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

chitoryu12 posted:

Fallout 1 and 2 are completely different genres of game made in a different decade.

That doesn't actually undercut my point, but okay fine. Skyrim didn't have durability and nobody on Earth missed it. Item durability, despite being fairly appropriate for the setting, has never made a game more fun or interesting.

And for what it's worth, putting aside that they're in the same series, FO3/NV still have enough in common with the older games to draw comparisons. Real-time combat and a different perspective aren't such grand changes that it suddenly becomes like comparing Zelda to Call of Duty.

Wolfsheim posted:

Is using your weapon until it breaks seriously a problem for people playing F3/NV? The game literally warns you when it's about to happen and there are both items to repair it with and people who can do repairs in abundance (to say nothing of weapon repair kits and Jury Rigging in NV). I think it maybe happened to me twice in the 300+ hours I've played.

"It's easy to manage" isn't enough of a reason to keep including a feature that adds nothing to the gameplay.

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 30, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I think a big thing to keep in mind is that the older games were already hard-as-balls and weapons and ammo were pretty scarce when you start out so we really didn't need durability to add further frustration.

Also this:

Wolfsheim posted:

I've never really had issues with weapon condition in the 3D Fallout games. I mean your condition meter is right there underneath your ammo count, enemies respawn from time to time and all of them drop two or three different weapons that will probably work for repairing one or more of your weapons. And if not that, you can just go to a vendor who can repair equipment, they're all over the place. Armor is a little more annoying because you can't see your meter (but like Wolfsheim says it warns you when it's nearly destroyed), but again just go to a vendor or find one of several armors from dead enemies.

My biggest complaint with armor is that I like the dark leather armor the best and it's hard to find, but then armor condition doesn't seem to go down that quickly in New Vegas in my experience.

Walrus Pete posted:

"It's easy to manage" isn't enough of a reason to keep including a feature that adds nothing to the gameplay.

It does though, it adds a lot to gameplay, it's literally a gameplay addition. And it balances the game economy so you occasionally have to use up armor and weapons and can't just hoard guns and armor that are in perfect condition so that you can sell them for nigh-infinite caps. Condition also affects prices, and nearly-destroyed equipment gets almost nothing next to pristine equipment. If every single piece of armor or weapon that you pick up was in perfect condition, you'd get top dollar for all of them. Just store all your poo poo in a storage container, then take out your stack of 20 Heavy Armors to get 10000 caps and repeat. It also adds to the scavenging aspect of the game, which was been there since the original games. You pick up everything that isn't nailed down, and make use of it, craft stuff, fix your items, heal and eat the food you find, etc.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 30, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I don't mind the lockpick and hacking minigames but I do wish when like, I have say 50 in lockpick or whatever is used for medium difficulty, all very easy locks would just automatically unlock for me. It's not that they're hard or whatever, it's just annoying to load up the little mini-game and spin the lock once or twice for every ridiculously easy lock, when the force option is so useless. More so with hacking since you get so few tries at it before having to back out.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

If you remove weapon degradation how you you make Repair an attractive choice as a skill to focus on for players?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Nuebot posted:

I don't mind the lockpick and hacking minigames but I do wish when like, I have say 50 in lockpick or whatever is used for medium difficulty, all very easy locks would just automatically unlock for me. It's not that they're hard or whatever, it's just annoying to load up the little mini-game and spin the lock once or twice for every ridiculously easy lock, when the force option is so useless. More so with hacking since you get so few tries at it before having to back out.

That'd be nice, yeah. Having locks/computers two or more tiers below your skill level open without the minigame would be sweet. Or just have the force option be actually useful and hit 100% once your skill is far enough beyond the lock (also add the force option to computers).

King Vidiot posted:

It does though, it adds a lot to gameplay, it's literally a gameplay addition. And it balances the game economy so you occasionally have to use up armor and weapons and can't just hoard guns and armor that are in perfect condition so that you can sell them for nigh-infinite caps. Condition also affects prices, and nearly-destroyed equipment gets almost nothing next to pristine equipment. If every single piece of armor or weapon that you pick up was in perfect condition, you'd get top dollar for all of them. Just store all your poo poo in a storage container, then take out your stack of 20 Heavy Armors to get 10000 caps and repeat. It also adds to the scavenging aspect of the game, which was been there since the original games. You pick up everything that isn't nailed down, and make use of it, craft stuff, fix your items, heal and eat the food you find, etc.

With the crafting and building systems they talked about at E3, it sounds like scavenging is going to be more of a thing than it ever was in 3/NV (except probably NV hardcore mode, though I've never actually played that way), which sounds great. You don't need durability to have that.

And re: economy - All that means is that they'd have to balance the game's economy around not having a durability system, just like everything else in the game. Don't act like it'd be just like yanking an existing system out of a game that has always had it.

Bombadilillo posted:

Rework it to a mechanic skill for crafting and making better cap for tower defense?

This also seems like a good idea. A mechanics/handyman/whatever skill for crafting and base-building stuff, which also takes over the occasional non-gear-repair uses that Repair would have.

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 30, 2015

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Pwnstar posted:

If you remove weapon degradation how you you make Repair an attractive choice as a skill to focus on for players?

Rework it to a mechanic skill for crafting and making better cap for tower defense?

Since 5 people including myself have said it I think we all want.
1. Force option to be auto or at least hit 100 once you get above a low level lock
2. Equivalent thing for hacking.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Pwnstar posted:

I'd make it apply temporary buffs to your weapons. This is actually what I thought the system in Skyrim was going to be before I got my hands on it. You could even have certain weapons that have pretty poo poo stats, but get such a massive increase from being maintained that they're actually great provided that you can repair them. This might actually fulfill what someone people in the thread want. You have enemies drop already buffed weapons that you can use for a bit, then they degrade to normal.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Shugojin posted:

Todd Howard presents: about 40 hours of brian blessed shouting at himself, thanks to radiant AI

I'd play that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBhPDxszukU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pwnstar posted:

You make it part of quests, like the other skills.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait so they make you play a hetero male breeder in this? GROSS.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

SynthOrange posted:

Wait so they make you play a hetero male breeder in this? GROSS.

No you can be a female breeder too dummy!!!!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ew.

Still, good on them letting you have a 50's lesbian couple.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Walrus Pete posted:

That'd be nice, yeah. Having locks/computers two or more tiers below your skill level open without the minigame would be sweet. Or just have the force option be actually useful and hit 100% once your skill is far enough beyond the lock (also add the force option to computers).
Funny thing in my New Vegas game right now is that I have 100 lockpick and I still can only brute force open very easy locks 100% of the time. I feel like it ought to have been a little more forgiving and the "first attempt" a little earlier. So the very hard computers can be attempted at say 80 skill level and be bypassed at 100 skill level.

Walrus Pete posted:

With the crafting and building systems they talked about at E3, it sounds like scavenging is going to be more of a thing than it ever was in 3/NV (except probably NV hardcore mode, though I've never actually played that way), which sounds great. You don't need durability to have that.

And re: economy - All that means is that they'd have to balance the game's economy around not having a durability system, just like everything else in the game. Don't act like it'd be just like yanking an existing system out of a game that has always had it.

It's a tough one for me, because while I hate having to fix my weapons that I've fixed up to top condition, I actually enjoy fixing weapons early on in the game. So I thought having a threshold where less and less damages your weapon would be ideal to satisfy both tastes, but I won't miss the mechanic too terribly much if it is dropped entirely.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

I think a big thing to keep in mind is that the older games were already hard-as-balls and weapons and ammo were pretty scarce when you start out so we really didn't need durability to add further frustration.

Right, the old games had a fundamentally different economy because, like in many RPGs, just because an NPC seemed to have an item, it didn't necessarily drop when you killed them. Weapons, ammo, and consumables all dropped much more rarely and, especially in the early game, you often had to pick your battles because if you weren't careful you'd wind up poorer than you started with. There were also only five or six armors in each game (and a few unique variations) and each one was basically a direct upgrade of the one before it. There were a couple quirks like metal armor being better at resisting lasers than the otherwise superior combat armor, but typically you just moved on to the next type and never looked back. The Bethesda games have a vastly more complex (and satisfying) economy with stuff to pick up everywhere and enemies that drop tons of loot. The condition system is a reflection of that.

Incidentally, condition didn't exist as such in the Black Isle games, but your guns could still drop or break on a critical failure (especially if you had crappy luck) and it was incredibly frustrating.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

7c Nickel posted:

I'd make it apply temporary buffs to your weapons. This is actually what I thought the system in Skyrim was going to be before I got my hands on it. You could even have certain weapons that have pretty poo poo stats, but get such a massive increase from being maintained that they're actually great provided that you can repair them. This might actually fulfill what someone people in the thread want. You have enemies drop already buffed weapons that you can use for a bit, then they degrade to normal.

How is this different from a weapon doing 5 damage when you get it and 10 damage at 100% durability?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Duckbag posted:

Right, the old games had a fundamentally different economy because, like in many RPGs, just because an NPC seemed to have an item, it didn't necessarily drop when you killed them. Weapons, ammo, and consumables all dropped much more rarely and, especially in the early game, you often had to pick your battles because if you weren't careful you'd wind up poorer than you started with. There were also only five or six armors in each game (and a few unique variations) and each one was basically a direct upgrade of the one before it. There were a couple quirks like metal armor being better at resisting lasers than the otherwise superior combat armor, but typically you just moved on to the next type and never looked back. The Bethesda games have a vastly more complex (and satisfying) economy with stuff to pick up everywhere and enemies that drop tons of loot. The condition system is a reflection of that.

Incidentally, condition didn't exist as such in the Black Isle games, but your guns could still drop or break on a critical failure (especially if you had crappy luck) and it was incredibly frustrating.

I agree with you, but to add/modify what you're saying, risk/reward for loving with NPCs was an honest gamble and a decision to let someone live or die, or try to steal something, had to be weighed against the tactical and strategic consequences of something going wrong.

In Fallout 2 you had shitheads like tubby that, once you figure out his racket and blast his stupid face out you suddenly aren't struggling to survive with a lovely pipe gun and spear anymore, and just like you'd expect some dickhead with thieving children all over town running stuff over to him, he had a loot pile, was easy to kill by the time you get to him, and there's no loving consequences. The difference in how difficult Fallout 2 is in the early game literally boils down to how quickly you shove a spear into his eye-socket, or leaving him alone. In Fallout 1, Junktown has that fat guy that's BEGGING you to kill him basically before you even meet him, and even if you come out of the loving war you just started alive, nothing good comes of it and everyone shits on you even though he's a terrible person.

It's cool stuff like that's missing from modern fallout because the way the game is structured as a shoot and collectathon, there will be no 'holy poo poo' type windfalls when you get sick of someone's poo poo, and the game is scaling with you anyway so the impact is lost. If you don't like a guy's attitude you just close the dialogue window and shoot, kill, loot, pretty certain you're not gonna loving die and that something tangible if only a brief feeling of catharsis or schadenfreude will be gained. Although new vegas un-surprisingly had similar moments, but mostly reversal of fortune stuff, the lottery guy at nipton, absolutely everyone who died in my quest to get the sunset sarsparilla treasure the first time I did it, then it begs you to shoot Vulpes and his guards who you may or may not be capable of killing depending on the difficulty and how long you waited to go to Nipton.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Bicyclops posted:

The check system is the best I can come up with, but I feel like there has to be something better out there.

Alpha Protocol had some great solutions to this. It treated many of its "checks" as transactions towards or against your reputation with companions/contacts, instead of as a series of hurdles. You'd always have a way forward, but it'd be dependent upon who was your friend (or enemy- I don't think you ever got anything for being so-so with someone), with a cost proportional to how much the choice aligned with the character or faction. It never felt too easy, punishing, or restrictive, since the options and consequences available to you almost always stemmed sensibly from the characters and your reputation.

Your success in some of the other speech "checks" was dependent upon how consistent you were as a character- if you gained a reputation for acting professionally, you could maintain that demeanor and people would believe you to be acting genuinely. But if you attempted to act like a crazed or irreverent psychopath without a prior history of doing so, it wouldn't work on anyone well-informed. Being consistently aggressive (or was it sarcastic? I think a bit of both.) throughout the game is the only way to provoke one potential enemy into a direct confrontation, whereas being consistently professional is the only way to turn that same enemy into an ally. This system didn't apply to every character, and you could mix the dispositions to an extent, so it didn't feel restricting.

In general, instead of making every option available to you and gating some behind an arbitrary check, it only ever made some options available to you and always had those result in a reasonable way from how you acted, and who around. And choices that were globally available- a reasonable number of The Big Ones- were exclusively binary, except for a few having a "best" option if you were replaying the game as a Veteran character. I'm not sure this system would translate as well to a game where you aren't consistently interacting with a variety of interwoven characters and factions, though, and FO4 seems to be going the "theme park" route. And another thing to keep in mind about AP is that there's always some projection when people talk about it, since very few of the "checks" are explicitly called out or telegraphed, and nobody's been able/willing to chart them all. Since every conversation's in real time, none of them are structured as "hubs" with optional dialogue like in Fallout or The Witcher, and as a result it's harder to save, load, and try for different options/paths.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pwnstar posted:

By removing skills from the game :eng101:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jun 30, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

hemophilia posted:

then it begs you to shoot Vulpes and his guards who you may or may not be capable of killing depending on the difficulty and how long you waited to go to Nipton.

This is why I love Tale of Two Wastelands. Four playthroughs before that and I never tried to kill those guys because I was always too low-level with pea-shooter guns. I show up there after 10 levels gained and powerful weapons obtained from Capital Wasteland, and then he asks me to "try and attack him".

So I do. Me and my 2000 Incinerator fireballs :getin:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Other bethesda games solve it by having sword and sword +1 but only giving the enemies sword.

Whereas in fallout, I'm not sure how you make a really lovely minigun, other than by making it damaged.

They don't do that at all and never have, lol. Every single game, from tabletops to RPG, already has the "If you give your enemies sweet gear, the player(s) can get that gear" problem sovled; it has been almost a non-issue forever.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Lotish posted:

Fallout should be a tower defense game where you keep mutants, ghouls, raiders and deathclaws from ransacking your vault. That's it. No outside civilizations except for other Vaults that are slowing losing their own wars. The game only ends when your vault is finally destroyed. There is no win condition, because this is the apocalypse.

When they mentioned including turrets, I sort of saw the world-building in FO4 as a seductive wink in this general direction.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

hemophilia posted:

then it begs you to shoot Vulpes and his guards who you may or may not be capable of killing depending on the difficulty and how long you waited to go to Nipton.

even if you are following the most direct main plot path to nipton, if you bothered to get ed-e and have kept even a few drugs on hand, i can't imagine ever actually losing that fight. i took away that vulpes is a metaphor for how cesar and his legion operate - they're all about intimidation and they're great at brutalizing people who can't/won't defend themselves, but all it takes is someone willing to push back (you/the NCR in the past) and they're immediately broken

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The sooner you kill a legion bigwig the sooner you get random drops of loot and ammo in the form of Legion revenge squads.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Seems like weapon mods are taking the place of durability as the thing that makes your weapons better than random loot. And we know that crafting mods is gated by perks. So there you go, that's your repair equivalent. And I think adding mods that change your weapon visually is a lot better than repairing weapons to fill their durability bar.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

homeless poster posted:

even if you are following the most direct main plot path to nipton, if you bothered to get ed-e and have kept even a few drugs on hand, i can't imagine ever actually losing that fight. i took away that vulpes is a metaphor for how cesar and his legion operate - they're all about intimidation and they're great at brutalizing people who can't/won't defend themselves, but all it takes is someone willing to push back (you/the NCR in the past) and they're immediately broken

I always waited till I meet him again on the Strip, just seems more poetic that way:

"All is forgiven.."

:commissar:

"How 'bout now?"

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Walrus Pete posted:

I was always a fan of it, actually. Stripping the pieces off of four or five lovely hunting rifles just to get yours in decent condition conveys that post-apocalyptic vibe quite well. Also, if we take out degradation that would mean that big, special weapons have to either be extremely rare, which is unfortunate because fleeing in terror as super mutants spray minigun fire at you is a highlight of early-level Fallout 3, or be extremely cheap so you can't just sell a dozen of them, which is dumb because an intact minigun should be an insanely good find in the wasteland.

I actually thought the durability-free smithing skill in Skyrim was pretty bad, too. I mean, I like that they added crafting, but playing as an adventurer who takes the time to poo poo out a bunch of iron daggers and rings every few days vs. someone who just maintains their gear regularly a la Morrowind/Oblivion seemed pretty dumb! And also as a result of that half the weapons/armor in the game cost about as much as a cheese wheel and a jug of wine to balance the economy.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

homeless poster posted:

But you wouldn't have the required Science and/or Repair skills by then, and the materials aren't that common on the road to Primm. You'd have to go way out of your way, like east to Repconn, to get the parts you need.

Knowing in-advance that you're going to repair ED-E is different from a first playthrough where you won't have that stuff on hand. Me, I never bothered with ED-E until a bit later in the game, then I'd come back and get him. It wasn't until my TTW playthrough where I already had the required skills that I got him on my first arrival at Primm.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

But you wouldn't have the required Science and/or Repair skills by then, and the materials aren't that common on the road to Primm. You'd have to go way out of your way, like east to Repconn, to get the parts you need.

Maybe you wouldn't :colbert:

I always bump repair first thing, and that Lone Wolf shack near Primm has all the items you need that aren't in the town itself. Having said that, as a diehard New Vegas fan I hate the whole Primm/Mojave Outpost area and all the little quests there and usually skip straight to either Novac or Freeside. As a result I never pick up ED-E until late-game, even if I'm playing as Dr. Scientist.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

They don't do that at all and never have, lol. Every single game, from tabletops to RPG, already has the "If you give your enemies sweet gear, the player(s) can get that gear" problem sovled; it has been almost a non-issue forever.

Tabletops usually pull DM fiat bullshit to stop you getting things you shouldn't have, many RPGs don't have significantly different gear, because it's usually still the same item just with bigger damage stats, so you don't need to put high end gear in enemy hands for variety's sake, or the enemy don't even use gear. This is exactly how other bethesda games do it, you go from a steel sword to a glass sword, which is exactly like the steel sword only it does more damage, it's a sword +1.

Fallout is somewhat unique in that 1. Many enemies use the same gear you do, and it wouldn't make sense if it exploded when you kill them. 2. The experience is unscripted so you can't rely on a flat progression to gate powerful equipment. 3. Powerful equipment is an important part of variety in the game, if you simply don't give enemies it then it restricts the enemy variety rather heavily, and 4. Ammo as a limiting factor doesn't work as well as it does in FPS games because you don't have an ammo limit, there's nothing to stop you stockpiling massive amounts of it, unlike in most scripted FPS games.

Durability is an elegant solution to a somewhat uniquely fallout problem and the only real criticism that you can level at it is that it requires some extra button clicks that you may prefer not to do occasionally, which could be solved any number of ways.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like durability and I think New Vegas' system was fine. Especially if you take jury rigging it's just not a problem whatsoever.

That said I do think there's room for more interesting gameplay besides just topping off a bar - like a guns are more likely to misfire/break
with a lovely maintenance/repair skill but they always do the same damage and you need more spare parts to keep things running than you would with a higher repair/maintenance skill.

All in all I wouldn't mind if they kept the NV system or if they ended up just going the Skyrim route of taking durability out but I do think something would be lost if you're not scavenging for parts.

Either way I can't imagine you wouldn't be able to just mod it to whatever you like.

• Locked thread