Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oblivion590
Nov 23, 2010
I could see people getting really tripped up with their Seal Ratings if they thought that transferring 2 einherjar per chapter was important to getting the best rewards and evaluation from Odin (it isn't), since that's an extra +12 seal each time. Hopefully someone gunning for the A ending (playthrough 2+) would realize not to do that, though. The lowest seal rating I've ever reached at the critical point is 2 (while always transferring 1 einherjar per chapter), so if you add +3 transfers in the middle chapters, then you're at 38, which barely misses the mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think I must have skipped over the whole Seal Rating entirely, I only realised it was actually a thing when I was following a guide for the A ending.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, it is hidden in the Valkyrie's status page and very easy to confuse for the evaluation when you aren't paying attention. Probably very deliberately too, I think they wanted you to play through a couple of times before you figure all this stuff out.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The thing with Valkyrie Profile is that you're strongly encouraged to "do the right thing" but learning anything about the story is actually about being intentionally rebellious but not so much that you get fired. It's neat from a storytelling perspective but it could've used more context into what you're doing. If Odin had more of a presence in the story I think the point of the game would've been more intuitive but he's just this distant cloud man and you largely deal with

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I don't play Tales games, I just watch their opening videos.

But seriously, a while back I was watching the Tales of the Abyss anime. I stopped when it looked like I might end up playing the game instead. But that fell through. Should I just watch the rest of the anime? How does it measure to the actual game?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Daler Mehndi posted:

I don't play Tales games, I just watch their opening videos.

But seriously, a while back I was watching the Tales of the Abyss anime. I stopped when it looked like I might end up playing the game instead. But that fell through. Should I just watch the rest of the anime? How does it measure to the actual game?

are you the guy playing Tales games for the story

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

That's me. Hi

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Abyss has a decent story.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Tales games usually have fun characters and I enjoy seeing them interact, even if the main plot is forgettable

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

abyss's anime is decent but they only carry over some of the skits, which really help round out the characters

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm not sure I could go back to Symphonia or Abyss' silent skits in the English version. Voiced skits really do add a lot to Tales games.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Half dubs are the worst.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Especially since prior to...I want to say Xillia (though maybe earlier), there's no way to advance the skits manually, so you get to stare at a couple lines of dialogue for like 10 seconds, wait for the next one to pop up, start at that silently for 10 seconds...it got to the point where I'd start a skit and immediately skip the entire thing.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Localized voiced skits started in Legendia even though the entire second half of that game wasn't dubbed at all, were dropped again for Abyss then brought back for Vesperia onwards. Not sure which game let you advance skits manually though.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

How are Gungnir and Knights in the Nightmare on the Vita, are they easy enough to stumble through and finish even if I don't understand the systems all the way? I know KitN was originally on the DS, does the control scheme transfer over okay?

I think Sting games always look interesting and make me want to try them, but I usually get tripped up in figuring out how they work.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

gungnir is more straightforward (relatively speaking), Knights is better.

that said, sting games generally don't require you to really master the systems or anything, so you should be fine with either

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I have a complex moral/philosophical question for all of you.

What is everyone's problem with turn-based combat? Do you have a thing against turn-based combat?

I was talking about FFVII Remake, and a lot of people were theorizing it's gonna play more like FFXV or whatever, and I just don't get it. It feels like Square and a lot of people online want to argue that being turn-based is outdated and being "new" means that characters should at least wobble around a lot a la FFXIII. (and I know ATB isn't exactly turn-based but it's also far from an Action RPG)

I even had this interview linked to me that says Americans hate turn-based RPGs.

I know some people will argue "it's silly how you just run over to them, poke them, then return to your spot so they can attack you back" but it's also ridiculous when they shoot you in the face for 10 damage or blow up the solar system for 500 damage.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Turn-based combat is win

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I suspect here in the RPG thread you'll get a lot of love for turn-based combat.

There's probably a perception that they can get more non-RPG lovers to play the game if combat is not turn-based.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It's all moot cus the remake is gonna be bad cus its remaking a bad game.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the problem with turn based combat is when it has long animations and no way to speed them up/skip them

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Davincie posted:

the problem with turn based combat is when it has long animations and no way to speed them up/skip them

I'm looking at you Knights of the Round. Also the load times.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

A lot of people that dislike turn-based combat seem do so because they think it's an anachronism, one that only ever existed due to tech limitations and therefore has no place in modern games. I don't agree with that thought, but I can see where it comes from, with most of the big RPGs these days having realtime elements or being some other genre like TPS with stats.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Kild posted:

It's all moot cus the remake is gonna be bad cus its remaking a bad game.

hey, bitch. you wanna get cut?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've always liked pure turn-based or pure real-time combat better than any hybrid ATB system. FFX was one of my favorite Final Fantasies because you knew what was coming, and so wouldn't be afraid to use all but the most spammy abilities.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

hubris.height posted:

hey, bitch. you wanna get cut?

Calm down there Sephiroth my name aint Aerith.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

I've always liked pure turn-based or pure real-time combat better than any hybrid ATB system. FFX was one of my favorite Final Fantasies because you knew what was coming, and so wouldn't be afraid to use all but the most spammy abilities.

As long as you can pause real-time or hybrid combats, I take everything. Still, pure turn-based combat can be annoying, sometimes. When playing Might and Magic X I keep missing the free movement of MM7, for example.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Turn based combat can be really good, but I prefer fast paced turn based with any kind of gimmick or to help spice battles up, so stuff like shadow hearts or mario RPGs,. I enjoy dragon quest's battle system too even though it's plain as hell, but a lot of games that I've played that have that style of battle system just end up really boring. I dunno what dragon quest did differently from any of the 100s of rpgmaker and similar titles that, unlike dragon quest, suffer from having a really bland and plain turn based battle system.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'd say that most of the people who aren't excited for FFVII getting remade are the ones who've seen Extended-Universe Cloud :emo:.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I like turn-based combat, and I agree that FFX did it very well. There's nothing gained by watching bars fill up, but being able to see exactly how the turns are going to play out is immensely useful. But real-time combat's good sometimes, too. For example, I really like Tales of Graces F's battle system

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Put BD's combat system in FF16, but have the characters' turns be ATB based.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Just give me Grandia 3's combat system.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah. X was the best true turn-based combat the series has done. X-2 is the best ATB.

I'd be really happy if ReVII just lifted either of their combat systems wholesale. The materia system probably needs some relatively major changes too, given that it functionally makes your party members completely interchangable apart from the weapons they get and their limits.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FFVII has a lot of old-school RPG design artifacts that I don't think would fly with what modern consumers are used to. It probably has too many party characters and is too text-heavy in places.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

FFVII has a lot of old-school RPG design artifacts that I don't think would fly with what modern consumers are used to. It probably has too many party characters and is too text-heavy in places.

Tales of games generally have six, so eight (two of which are optional anyway) is pretty decent.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

exquisite tea posted:

Don't cut characters, just give me a party of four.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Prism posted:

Just give me Grandia 3's combat system.

I was gonna make this post but with 2. Anything they significantly improve on?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

exquisite tea posted:

Have you not played recent RPGs?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Overminty posted:

I was gonna make this post but with 2. Anything they significantly improve on?

It's prettier and you can do a thing where some attacks launch into the air (a ridiculous amount; there's a gauge that tells you how far, it's measured in tenths of a meter, and IIRC it doesn't even show up until you break 3m). Other attacks can juggle them and using Critical instead of Combo can slam them down for damage based on how high up they were at the time.

Other than that it's pretty similar, aside from some changes as to how skills/mana eggs are equipped, which doesn't change the general flow of combat as much as character growth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

If you thought FF7 had too many party characters, I can't imagine what you'd think of Chrono Cross or Suikoden.