Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I wonder if that guy who was bitching about us talking about 40k in a Fantasy thread feels better now that we're arguing the semantics of armor labels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
He's probably still upset as we aren't properly distinguishing a hauberk from a haubergeon.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I'm mad you're not discussing cool early modern armor.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

xthetenth posted:

I'm mad you're not discussing cool early modern armor.

This is the great crime. Early modern armor and uniforms are way cooler than lumpy pauldron crap.

I mean look at this poo poo. Warhammer Fantasy has these guys in Kislev. Who needs Marines when you have goddamn Winged Hussars?

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 29, 2015

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Buschmaki posted:

I'm downloading hitman absolution and wasn't quick enough on the call-out, I apologize to everyone I've offended.

i forgive you

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Skandranon posted:

Same thing wrong with "chainmail" or "ringmail". The mail part implies the linked rings sort of armor, and is thus redundant.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail_(armour)

Ah yes, the traditional "you're stupid because you used a term which to laymen distinguishes between things, instead of the :spergin: correct technical term." This is indeed the Hammer Total: War War thread, carry on goonsir!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

LonsomeSon posted:

Ah yes, the traditional "you're stupid because you used a term which to laymen distinguishes between things, instead of the :spergin: correct technical term." This is indeed the Hammer Total: War War thread, carry on goonsir!

Suffer not the heretic to live, and so forth.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

LonsomeSon posted:

He did ask what the problem was with the term.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If you want to be even more pedantic the full suit of plate armor was called a harness by its contemporaries.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i'm lying here with a bucket to collect enough of my tears to drown myself in

e: thank you stephen

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 30, 2015

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i'm lying here with a bucket to collect enough my tears to drown myself in

I think you forgot an "of" between "enough" and "my" there. :v:

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I saw an Age of Sigmar leak about GW turning Orcs and Goblins into Waaghkin lead by slender female Orcs that the leak claims are called Nigmos.

Thank gently caress the Total War game is going to be in the old setting.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I can't get over how poorly chosen the name 'Nigmo' is, I mean wow GW just... wow.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

If it isn't a well-done troll then I am going to die laughing.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Korgan posted:

I saw an Age of Sigmar leak about GW turning Orcs and Goblins into Waaghkin lead by slender female Orcs that the leak claims are called Nigmos.

Emperor dammit, GW has a massive grudge against ork players for loving with their campains and they're making them pay for it in a big way.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Maybe they're hoping that if they make Orks unbearably stupid then all the Ork players will stop ruining their precious narrative.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Neruz posted:

Maybe they're hoping that if they make Orks unbearably stupid then all the Ork players will stop ruining their precious narrative.

I believe the Waaaghkin leak has been demonstrated to be a 4chan troll. However, the release of the Sigmarines doesn't inspire confidence that GW isn't going to do something equally stupid.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Skandranon posted:

I believe the Waaaghkin leak has been demonstrated to be a 4chan troll. However, the release of the Sigmarines doesn't inspire confidence that GW isn't going to do something equally stupid.

GW presents the Pretty Orks:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

GW presents the Pretty Orks:

knows the importance of being da boss and being choppy...

i

i guess it checks out?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Neruz posted:

I can't get over how poorly chosen the name 'Nigmo' is, I mean wow GW just... wow.

it sounds racist

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I really hate fantasy armor.

Its always this stupid, overly ornate garbage plate mail bullshit. None of the people that create it know or respect anything about the history of armor, or how much a loving science it was. So when trying to create cool armor they produce trash that is the horrifying equivalent of a colorblind man painting a room, and looks worse than people hundreds of years ago made when they had a loving sense that even their crazy gilded ornate poo poo had to somehow be worn by a human being at some point.. I liked the empire in fantasy since they cribbed from a different era of armor and were somewhat less inclined to create formless metal shithouses and now its dead. Dead!

okay thats me being autistic for a bit to get in the spirit of things but lovely fantasy armaments are a legit pet peeve of mine as i am a thoughtless consumer of lovely media meant for children

e: like what the gently caress is the point of all those loving lovely overwrought details on the chaos guys when theyre like 2 loving inches tall and all those bits just turn into loving noise the second you move your eye more than a half foot away from them aaaaa

Does this 30 lb solid gold helmet ornament trigger you?

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 30, 2015

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Korgan posted:

Like I said, lead by elves.

Have fun, ork players.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zaodai posted:

Like I said, lead by elves.

Have fun, ork players.

They call the Orroks or something now, too. No more Orks.

It's better than 'STEAMHEAD DUARDIN', the new name for the Dorfs.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Firstborn posted:

The fact that the ornament isn't sagging under its own weight proves that its not solid gold; at best it's an alloy and more likely it's gold plated steel :v:

Also that is a loving fabulous helmet.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Knights of the blazing sun are pretty fabulous in general

the last thing you ever see is a huge plumed helmet coming for you

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Zzulu posted:

Knights of the blazing sun are pretty fabulous in general

the last thing you ever see is a huge plumed helmet coming for you

That horse on the right seems highly surprised

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

xthetenth posted:

Which it isn't? The mail is on a lower layer to cover gaps in the plates, not to hold it together.

That would be plate worn over mail. Plate mail involves small plates integrated into the mail suit itself, usually by looping the rings through holes around the sides of each plate.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Warbadger posted:

That would be plate worn over mail. Plate mail involves small plates integrated into the mail suit itself, usually by looping the rings through holes around the sides of each plate.

Ah, right, that stuff, yeah. Thought you were talking about what people normally mean by it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I make mail as a hobby.

I still call it chainmail whenever I sell it. Its funny as hell because it always makes someone sperg out.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Total Plate: Chain Mail

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Firstborn posted:

pauldrons too small

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

pauldrons too small

Not to mention the sword.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Skandranon posted:

Not to mention the sword.

Speaking of :spergin: I'm pretty sure that's the ever inappropriate two-handed flamberge, in one hand because he's that hardcore.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Orv posted:

Speaking of :spergin: I'm pretty sure that's the ever inappropriate two-handed flamberge, in one hand because he's that hardcore.

To be fair, if he actually does have the body strength to wield a two-handed flamberge in one hand then it's not a completely terrible idea.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Judging from the length, that might as well be a bastard-flamberge.
Tardberge.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Or Flamtard!

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
One thing that makes it hard to keep my hype meter going is a lack of TIME Frame on the release. When must I have sufficient monies for my new computer so I can play this?

anyone have ideas?

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

stopgap1 posted:

One thing that makes it hard to keep my hype meter going is a lack of TIME Frame on the release. When must I have sufficient monies for my new computer so I can play this?

anyone have ideas?

I seem to remember a quote that we won't be seeing it for 2015 at least, so...I guess first half of 2016?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yeah, they said in one of the interviews early 2016 is the planned release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
How can I read more about this reinventing of the game they're doing?

Edit: the fantasy tabletop setting i mean

• Locked thread