Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Making the "belt" point at his dick reminds me of the weird new 52 Justice League costumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: Speaking of which, did New Warriors actually resolve the Hummingbird plotline or is that just in eternal limbo now?

That's probably off somewhere waiting for Yost to resolve it, unless they handle it in Spider-Verse.

I'd be fine with it if they treated Secret Wars as its resolution, though.

"She's going to end the world!"
"The world ended and she had gently caress-all to do with it!"
"...I would like to revise my earlier report in the face of new data!"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That costume sucks.

That premise sucks.

Dan Slott sucks.

Everything about this sucks.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I don't know what makes me madder, that Camuncoli's on art, or that Slott seriously used the word "gumption" in an interview in loving 2015.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

That costume sucks.

That premise sucks.

Dan Slott sucks.

Everything about this sucks.

I was trying to find something good about it but yeah, sucks pretty much sums it up.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I think the promo image and premise is awesome, but I was also freaking out about how much I was excited for Spider-Verse and was going to give Slott another chance after botching Superior's ending.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I don't HATE the idea of Peter being a successful science-mans, but it's increasingly obvious Slott wants to write Iron Man or Batman, but likes the idea of being the longest running Spider-Man writer and is trying to do both.

(Which is insane considering he CAN'T do the latter, as Bendis is nearing Claremont levels of 'has written a character/team FOREVER'. )

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Kinda like the costume, but really underwhelming for "WHOLE NEW COSTUME DESIGNED BY ALEX ROSS"

Amazing Spider-man continues to suck, but at least we got Silk, Spider-Gwen and Spider-verse going on. Spider-man might be good if Bendis has something on his sleeve this time instead of telling us about Miles' dad for almost a year to bide time for SW. Spider-Woman will be enjoyed by someone i'm sure.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I have zero provlem with this premise and don't understand why other people do.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I have zero problem with the premise but also no confidence in Slott to write it in an interesting way.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Starsnostars posted:

I have zero problem with the premise but also no confidence in Slott to write it in an interesting way.

that, you know, whatever, I don't like fighting the slott issue on this forum but I can totally understand it

but the premise, on a base level? There's nothing wrong with it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Kinda like the costume, but really underwhelming for "WHOLE NEW COSTUME DESIGNED BY ALEX ROSS"

Amazing Spider-man continues to suck, but at least we got Silk, Spider-Gwen and Spider-verse going on. Spider-man might be good if Bendis has something on his sleeve this time instead of telling us about Miles' dad for almost a year to bide time for SW. Spider-Woman will be enjoyed by someone i'm sure.

Spider-Woman is real good, actually. It's Ben Urich using what resources he still has before the paper shuts down to find people in need that would otherwise be overlooked or can't be helped by the official authorities and guilting Jessica into helping.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Blockhouse posted:

I think they're annoyed because now Peter's status is not that different from Bruce Wayne, Tony Stark, on and on, when the whole point of the character to begin with was to have an everyman.

They break up Peter's relationship with a model wife to "ground" him, and then decided to turn him into a playboy inventor, which seems to be doubling down on the single most problematic element of the marriage, where it's a nerd fantasy.

But that's me explaining other people's take. My own is that "Amazing" has taken on the same connotations of "Uncanny" now, where ostensibly it should be something I like considering the character, but it invariably underwhelms. I've just given up Peter being in interesting books the same way I've given up on Scott Summers being in them.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Probably Magic posted:

I think they're annoyed because now Peter's status is not that different from Bruce Wayne, Tony Stark, on and on, when the whole point of the character to begin with was to have an everyman.

They break up Peter's relationship with a model wife to "ground" him, and then decided to turn him into a playboy inventor, which seems to be doubling down on the single most problematic element of the marriage, where it's a nerd fantasy.

But that's me explaining other people's take. My own is that "Amazing" has taken on the same connotations of "Uncanny" now, where ostensibly it should be something I like considering the character, but it invariably underwhelms. I've just given up Peter being in interesting books the same way I've given up on Scott Summers being in them.
Also Brevoort wrote this, which obviously runs exactly counter to this story.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Peter is going to come crashing down in a pile of hubris, you all know it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I could give less than half a gently caress about how old Peter is portrayed, I just want Dan Slott off the loving book already.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Nice post. Having said that, not necessarily because

hiddenriverninja posted:

could be counted as "growing up," but I feel like we've seen this plot at least fifteen times with Slott, and it's not getting fresher just because Alex Ross is doing the cover.

I wish Peter had stayed a teacher. Low-paying, but still giving credit to his smarts like Dan is so desperate to do, and embodying the everyman humble servant aspect Peter is supposed to be about. This doesn't look like a story. It just looks like a status quo. "Remember that time Peter was rich? Yeah, I don't either." And that's how I've felt about the main X-Men titles since Decimation too.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

No, you see, Peter Parker will remain a completely static character throughout the entire plot and a hitherto unseen character will bring it all crashing down because of the Ol' Parker Luck!

It's Slott we're talking about here.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'll take Peter Parker in Japan any day over just rehashing the same stories they've been doing for the past fifty years. After Slott's first issue and Spiderverse, this has me wanting to buy Amazing Spider-Man for the first time in a long time. Just have some fun with the character. If we get monsters, robots, and a neon Spidey punching them I'm loving sold. If I wanted to read stories with MJ or the Green Goblin I'd go through my long boxes and crush myself under the weight of traditional Spider-Man stories.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
If they'd bite the bullet and get Yost or Gage or Bunn to ride shotgun on Slott so you got his ideas and the occasional joke filtered through somebody who had better execution, I'd be a lot happier.

As it is, Slott's track record says it'll be amazing in the hands of everyone besides him.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

I could give less than half a gently caress about how old Peter is portrayed, I just want Dan Slott off the loving book already.

At this point it looks like he's only sticking around out of spite.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yvonmukluk posted:

At this point it looks like he's only sticking around out of spite.

He wont quit until Bendis quits his Spider-man run so he can overtake him.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

That sure is an Alex Ross Costume. millions of triangles all over the goddamn place. everything is a triangle now

It looks okay though.

I'm on board with Peter becoming a success and getting some new stuff and growth going on in his life (he's the only comic book character who's even been allowed to change this much over the years really), the premise of the new run is something I could see being a lot of fun but the problem is it's still Dan Slott so it's going to be sort of poorly executed and mostly blandly inoffensive the whole time.

Good thing we have Miles' Spider-Man comic and Spider-Gwen and the Web Warriors and Venom: Spaceknight and maybe Carnage, as well as Spidey on the Uncanny Avengers and Miles on the main Avengers so there's plenty of non-Slott Spiders goin' on.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

He wont quit until Bendis quits his Spider-man run so he can overtake him.

Even then we'd be stuck with Slott for years. JMS was writing Amazing when Bendis started Ultimate.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
My only issue with the premise is that Slott's the one doing it. I was against the Superior Spider-Man premise at first until better writers made him fun. I was against the regression back to relatively normal Peter because of the way Slott made it happen. Spider-Verse was fun because the premise was fun and I could read other stories while Slott dorked around the main one. This new premise isn't bad on its own merits, but Slott just hasn't clicked with me yet and I'm worn down on seeing his name everywhere.

It's pretty much a matter of preference, as opposed to the shenanigans of OMD which was dumb inside and out and I don't think I'll ever see how that was supposed to work.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Even then we'd be stuck with Slott for years. JMS was writing Amazing when Bendis started Ultimate.

Bendis literally only needs two more years and he'll beat Claremont for length of time on a single (occasionally relaunched/branded) title at Marvel. He's been writing Ultimate Spider-Man for fifteen years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I think Slott counts issues not duration.

Looking at the new suit, I need to see it by another artist as I really don't care for Ross anymore.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Bendis is still at like, what, 200+? What's Slott at?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I see armpit webs, so this already has my seal of approval.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Well ASM triple and double shipped quite a bit so Slott is gaining. I don't know the exact number.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The sad thing is that there really aren't that many Spider-man runs that I'd call lovely, considering how many there are. The book was pretty consistently good until the early 90s, when things got messy, but even in the 90s we had some stuff worth reading. So it's tragic that one of the few awful runs is also shaping up to be the longest of all time.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

I think Bendis did 200 on USM v1 alone, plus something like 150 on v2, then what has to be around 50 issues with Miles.

After he leaves Iron Man and Guardians of the Galaxy, he should just write Spider-Man as a weekly for a couple of years, just to mess with Slott.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Squizzle posted:

I think Bendis did 200 on USM v1 alone, plus something like 150 on v2, then what has to be around 50 issues with Miles.

After he leaves Iron Man and Guardians of the Galaxy, he should just write Spider-Man as a weekly for a couple of years, just to mess with Slott.

No. They just celebrated the 200th issue a year ago, Bendis has just about 212 issues of USM under his belt.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

No. They just celebrated the 200th issue a year ago, Bendis has just about 212 issues of USM under his belt.

Whoops, guess I've got brain problems!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Still, USM did 18 issues a year for however long Bagley was on it (I think Bendis/Bagley have the longest writer/artist duo streak in comics, followed by Lee/Kirby on Fantastic Four (but that might just be a Marvel record). Maybe this will just turn into a grudge match with Slott writing Peter (or not Peter, or whatever) and Bendis writing Miles until one of them dies. (The writer's not the characters)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I still kinda hope Dan Slott's hands mysteriously fall off before he reaches the record.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

Still, USM did 18 issues a year for however long Bagley was on it (I think Bendis/Bagley have the longest writer/artist duo streak in comics, followed by Lee/Kirby on Fantastic Four (but that might just be a Marvel record). Maybe this will just turn into a grudge match with Slott writing Peter (or not Peter, or whatever) and Bendis writing Miles until one of them dies. (The writer's not the characters)
Yeah, I know which one I'm rooting for in that contest.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'm glad I burned myself out on the 600 or so issues before his solo run started, but Agent Venom, Superior Spider-Man, and Spiderverse is a good legacy to have. If I was the editor and I had to tell Slott it was time to give up Amazing, and he blurted out "Spider-Man in Japan!" I'd just tell him when the script was due.

It'll be funny until it's not, but it's a good enough joke to at least check out the first issue.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Slott deserves zero credit for Agent Venom. That idea would have been poo poo if he wrote it, and the few times he did write it, it was poo poo. It's like crediting Rob Liefeld for Deadpool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Blockhouse posted:

It's a ripoff of Batman Inc. for starters

• Locked thread