Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Spiderdrake posted:

Where do you get an ore from a god-king

Purest Sigmarshite.

Hell, it works for the Emperor, why not Sigmar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
GW released a ruleset where ten bloodthirsters outnumbered by a hundred skavenslaves are considered the underdog and get to arbitrarily declare a victory condition. This is it. This is Peak GW

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

JerryLee posted:

I remember a statement from him that was something along the lines of him wanting to get the hobby accessible to 13-year-old kids like he was when he became attracted to it, and I could honestly see a really stripped-down, size-flexible army building scheme as being an attempt to do that.

The thing is though that even with that as your design document, what we're seeing of these rules is such an incredible, incredible clusterfuck. I'm certain there are ways to design a reasonably balanced and fun skirmish game without points as such, for example. GW just will not, absolutely will not lift a finger to do that.

Do that, but run AoS in parallel with WHFB, don't kill one and promote the other. (Even if they plan 9th ed soon, it won't be soon enough).

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Where do you get an ore from a god-king

Depends how much fibre he has in his diet

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Indolent Bastard posted:

Do that, but run AoS in parallel with WHFB, don't kill one and promote the other. (Even if they plan 9th ed soon, it won't be soon enough).

Can't run both at once, they'll cannibalise each other in sales :downsgun:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Indolent Bastard posted:

This is 9th edition, you fool! *slaps you*

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
These rules are both bad and contain enthusiastically vile amounts of buzzwords. It like a Michael Bay film on paper- all flash, no substance, maybe sorta funny sometimes?

Not really defending them but I could see the book a adding more rules. I mean it LOOKS terrible but our communities assumption of GW giving away the full rules for free is like me assuming Homeless Rumors Guy isn't going to try to steal my wallet for booze and model money.

Doctor Borris fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 30, 2015

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Good Lord, Sigmar's dudes really are described exactly the same as Space Marines. I thought you all were exaggerating.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

nopantsjack posted:

This is 9th edition, you fool! *slaps you*

Counter point THERE IS NO 9TH EDITION!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Swagger Dagger posted:

Good Lord, Sigmar's dudes really are described exactly the same as Space Marines. I thought you all were exaggerating.

They even have chaplains with skull faces who are darker and more death-y than the other dudes (who are all heroes).

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Spiderdrake posted:

isn't it really loving easy? Like, you have set unit categories (hq, elite, mass, warmachine, donkeys, etc) and then have pre-set game tiers with options for each tier? It doesn't seem hard to make a streamlined set up at all. In fact I thought people introduced this run of rumors with something like that?

Also serious question do they actually call things "psychology rules" or are they all BATTLESHOCK rules now? I mean I did read that, right. It feels like a fever dream. Battleshock I mean. Well it stands out as the naked clown miming midway through the fever dream, but you know what I mean.

This is what I don't get. It would have been pretty trivial to give at least a cursory points value to units. I mean we all know GW is bad at pointing things but even a token attempt would be better than "eeeeeeeeeh, just do whatever you want we don't even care anymore".

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What's even the deal with all this SIGMAR STORM KING stuff? He was always the God of 'be bros with dorfs, don't let the Empire catch on fire, hit Chaos and orcs with a hammer.'

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Night10194 posted:

What's even the deal with all this SIGMAR STORM KING stuff? He was always the God of 'be bros with dorfs, don't let the Empire catch on fire, hit Chaos and orcs with a hammer.'

"40k sells more than fantasy. 40k has space marines and fantasy doesn't. fantasy should sell more like 40k. hence, fantasy should get space marines"

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Night10194 posted:

During ~END TIMES~ he became the Incarnate of Heavens. You can expect the same to happen to all the other Incarnates I guess.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I can't believe this ruleset it really is like they crashed warhammer into wrath of kings and forgot to include the balancing mechanic of either

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Phoon posted:

I can't believe this ruleset it really is like they crashed warhammer into wrath of kings and forgot to include the balancing mechanic of either
needed to make room for some freshly forged sigmarite

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Ojetor posted:

During ~END TIMES~ he became the Incarnate of Heavens. You can expect the same to happen to all the other Incarnates I guess.

So you can expect all the factions to get similar units. That'll be what kills the old range with people who play this, with no balance you'd always just choose the most elite models you can get.

I imagine in a few months even blood knights or Silverhelms will be regarded as a trap unit.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Thundercloud posted:

So you can expect all the factions to get similar units. That'll be what kills the old range with people who play this, with no balance you'd always just choose the most elite models you can get.

I imagine in a few months even blood knights or Silverhelms will be regarded as a trap unit.

lol like anyone is going to be playing this by the end of the year.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
I'm going to assume the "free" rules are free like a car with part of the radiator and possums living in the cab is "free". I mean technically it is a car, and technically you can have it, but also technically possums are mean and they bite.

Doctor Borris fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 30, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Doctor Borris posted:

I'm going to assume the "free" rules are free like a car with part of the radiator and possums living in the cab is "free". I mean technically it is a car, and technically you can have it, but also technically possums are mean and they bite.

Are you saying you're not willing to use the possum's BATTLESHOCK to forge your car's narrative?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

With Unbound, I can use real opossums as my Skaven army!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Hollismason, is that you?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Doctor Borris posted:

Link to the AI thread?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Thundercracker posted:

I believe that was sarcasm. None the less I'm pretty sure Pokemon is worth more than all of miniatures compnaies combined

It's something that I've seen people unironically argue before. :downs:

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

everythingWasBees posted:

It's something that I've seen people unironically argue before. :downs:

quote:

Is MtG that big? I've only seen a handful of very odd people playing it at Manchesters premier stink pit, Fanboy3.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

loving hilariously, my LGS is closed on July Fourth because they're Americans and have their priorities straight.

Everything about this release is so unthought out, I love it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
at the release event you will be encouraged to literally blow your opponent's models up with fireworks

don't worry, it's the perfect excuse for them to buy and paint new ones

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

What army are you playing today, buddy?

NURGLE.
*throws jar full of flies directly at opponents face*

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Business Gorillas posted:

NURGLE.

So what happens if you are playing Slaanesh?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

NURGLE.

KHORNE

*Flips table over while screaming "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE"*

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
How is this going to be able to get people into the game?

I mean if you have no ability to judge power ratings how is the game even playable?

Theoretically the starter box should provide a close match, which is great. But if then each player buys a unit to beef out their forces it could end up wildly in one sides favor completely by accident.

If I wanted to play age of sigmar against someone how would we even build forces out of our current miniatures to be balanced?

God drat it GW, why the gently caress is it always one step forward, two steps backwards.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I think my Skaven army is coming along well.

I need a doomwheel though.

Much better!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I think my Skaven army is coming along well.

I need a doomwheel though.

Much better!

:3 skaven is the best army

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Nash posted:

*quietly passes you a folded up note with a severed nipple in it as an answer*

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I was thinking more you'd measure precisely seven inches from the front of your models

oh you're in melee alright

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

:3 skaven is the best army

My buddy showed up today with his new converted Rat Ogres to playtest them in the new Age of Sigmor rules, but I dunno, I think he really needs to base his stuff.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Nash posted:

Well, I can't tell you what happens during the game, but afterwards you usually get kicked out of the store.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Grade A Warham nipple.

Something I thought when reading the rules. Ranged weapons. Can I shoot into a combat going on? Can my archers choose to shoot at another unit while they are engaged with another? Can I decide to point blank shoot the unit I am in melee with? Someone else asked these questions and I also want to know.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
These seem like awfully complex questions. I would say, according to the rules, maybe you shoudn't play AoS.

Seriously though, yes, there is nothing preventing you from shooting enemies engaged in melee with you.

Did you know Possums only live 1-2 years and die of a variety of old age complications, including cancer? They age crazy fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Doctor Borris posted:

Did you know Possums only live 1-2 years and die of a variety of old age complications, including cancer? They age crazy fast.

I just know they like to die by suiciding themselves under truck tires a lot where I live.

• Locked thread