Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Poque posted:

Looking at this for advance purposes and it seems like the party is kind of... already built. Blue gets Time, Time gets Blue. Geomancer gets Time (for higher magic power usage of Meteo I guess?) and Ninja gets Blue. Not a whole lot of thought needed, and it really won't need much grinding at all, if any.

I suppose if I wanted to I could give dual-wield to a rod-user for more powerful breaking but eh eh ehhhh. And Image can be handy for anybody.

Time and Blue both can have trouble with cost-effectiveness, so I can see wanting to put !Gaia on them for clearing out random encounters and then switching back to real spellcasting secondaries when appropriate for bosses. !Gaia really is a pretty decent secondary skill on a caster, with that party you could get good mileage out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

the Orb of Zot posted:

How do you beat this with a fiesta team again?

Berserker it and abuse mirage vest or the golem summon.

Or if you have a bard. Make someone in your team a zombie with reflect ring equip. Have your bard hide until the dragon is dead.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Shwqa posted:

Berserker it and abuse mirage vest or the golem summon.

Or if you have a bard. Make someone in your team a zombie with reflect ring equip. Have your bard hide until the dragon is dead.

That's regular Shinryu. We're talking Neo Shinryu (who is immune to Berserk (and a lot of things really)).

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Time/Time/Geo/Samurai seems like it'll be hilariously gold intensive to win.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Deki posted:

Time/Time/Geo/Samurai seems like it'll be hilariously gold intensive to win.

Naw, Time Mage owns. Just Slow all the badguys and Haste your party and go to town with Comets, Geomancy, and Samurai basic attacks. When your entire party is acting 3-4 times as often as the enemies it's pretty hard to lose a fight even without Zeninage.

Geomancer's also a good support for that party because it makes the Trench and getting Meteor way less annoying.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Oh yeah, Comet. I thought I was going to have to break rods until Meteor.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Benly posted:

Time and Blue both can have trouble with cost-effectiveness, so I can see wanting to put !Gaia on them for clearing out random encounters and then switching back to real spellcasting secondaries when appropriate for bosses. !Gaia really is a pretty decent secondary skill on a caster, with that party you could get good mileage out of it.

Yeah that's totally true. I love having a Geomancer just due to random encounters never being a problem.

Surrealities
Apr 11, 2010
So I'm doing my second run of the year, and I rolled Thief for my Wind job. I job faired Thief into Blue Mage because I did Thief last year and have never gotten Blue Mage before. Water gave me Time Mage. Then I got to the Fire crystal, and when I tweeted Gilgabot, I got Blue Mage again. I'm on a random run with no modifiers. I thought random couldn't get duplicates unless it was a Berserker risk. Should that have happened? I checked to make sure Blue Mage had been processed before I tweeted Water and Fire.

Surrealities fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 1, 2015

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Koobes posted:

Does lv5 death ignore the heavy tag?

all the level abilities ignore immunities and tags except for gravity, which e: gets blocked by heavy. you can l2 old world 2 exdeath if you want (and then nail him with l5 death if you time it right as his level decreases)

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Fungah! posted:

all the level abilities ignore immunities and tags except for gravity, which e: gets blocked by heavy. you can l2 old world 2 exdeath if you want (and then nail him with l5 death if you time it right as his level decreases)

:aaaaa: This would have made things so much easier. I resorted to spamming Aeroga on anything I couldn't hit with l5 death

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Fungah! posted:

I have never managed to master Level 2 Old -> Level 5 Death timing. It is my secret shame.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

I always keep hearing about this fiesta, and since I made a really mediocre Let's Play of it a really long time ago, I figured I owed it to myself to try it out. So I signed up for a regular run, and my first two jobs were the stunningly dull Monk and Red Mage (that's gonna be fun in the late game, especially with nothing else being Dualcast-compatible), but for the fire crystal, I ended up pulling Beastmaster, which is... kind of interesting? Like a Blue Mage, but even more awkward. I'm guessing my strategy for most of the bosses in world 1 is just going to be "throw Sand Bears at it," but there might be room for some more interesting strategies. Byblos is non-Heavy, but the only kill spell I can find that would work on him is Banish from catching a Page 32, which has a pretty tragic 50 accuracy. If I can catch a Dhorme Chimera, it should instantly kill the Sandworm with one Aqua Breath, but that entails doing between 876 and 999 damage to it and not dying in the process.

What's the best multi-target damage Catch you have access to in world 1? I'm planning for what I'm going to do against Purobolos.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

the Orb of Zot posted:

How do you beat this with a fiesta team again?

Hope you pull Time Mage or Chemist as one of your other jobs. I think Quickleak works against absolutely everything, and Chemist can probably win because it's Chemist.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

What's the best multi-target damage Catch you have access to in world 1? I'm planning for what I'm going to do against Purobolos.

The Rock Golem (in the grassy areas near the town where you can buy Flame Rings) do the Earthshaker move for good damage. I don't think Purobolos is immune to earth.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

I always keep hearing about this fiesta, and since I made a really mediocre Let's Play of it a really long time ago, I figured I owed it to myself to try it out. So I signed up for a regular run, and my first two jobs were the stunningly dull Monk and Red Mage (that's gonna be fun in the late game, especially with nothing else being Dualcast-compatible), but for the fire crystal, I ended up pulling Beastmaster, which is... kind of interesting? Like a Blue Mage, but even more awkward. I'm guessing my strategy for most of the bosses in world 1 is just going to be "throw Sand Bears at it," but there might be room for some more interesting strategies. Byblos is non-Heavy, but the only kill spell I can find that would work on him is Banish from catching a Page 32, which has a pretty tragic 50 accuracy. If I can catch a Dhorme Chimera, it should instantly kill the Sandworm with one Aqua Breath, but that entails doing between 876 and 999 damage to it and not dying in the process.

You can Catch a Zu that uses Breath Wing, which will take 25% off of anything that's not immune to Wind. I think the Rock Golem will do more damage to Purabolos, though.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

If nothing else, Red Mage can break rods for multitarget damage.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
To my shame, my team of White Mages and Summoners were unable to beat Shiva at level 8; Blizzara just hits too hard (a single target for 180+ or 80-90 to the whole team when no one had more than 150 HP? That poo poo HURTS), and 150 damage attacks against four enemies with a combined total of 3300 HP was a bit out of my reach; I could kill one, maybe two commanders before the constant needs for revival and healing wore me down. I went on over to Karnak and gained two levels on the trip to and from the meteor (which also puts them in the 180 HP area), as well as got everyone the best defensive gear for a few more M. Defense, so we'll see how it goes now.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Bufuman posted:

To my shame, my team of White Mages and Summoners were unable to beat Shiva at level 8; Blizzara just hits too hard (a single target for 180+ or 80-90 to the whole team when no one had more than 150 HP? That poo poo HURTS), and 150 damage attacks against four enemies with a combined total of 3300 HP was a bit out of my reach; I could kill one, maybe two commanders before the constant needs for revival and healing wore me down. I went on over to Karnak and gained two levels on the trip to and from the meteor (which also puts them in the 180 HP area), as well as got everyone the best defensive gear for a few more M. Defense, so we'll see how it goes now.

Did you also get Fire Rods in Karnak?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Mustard Iceman posted:

Did you also get Fire Rods in Karnak?

I was hoping to avoid relying on Rod Breaking quite so early. But yes, I did grab a few, mostly so that if I lost to her again I could vent my frustrations by burning the poo poo out of her.

I didn't need them though, as I pulled out the victory. The extra levels and gear helped, giving me JUST enough to survive a single-target Blizzara, but the big winner was the purchase of Confuse, which kept the Commanders from murderating my fragile little casters (they finished off a few ST-Blizzara targets as it was) and also contributed a few shots against Shiva herself.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Bufuman posted:

I was hoping to avoid relying on Rod Breaking quite so early. But yes, I did grab a few, mostly so that if I lost to her again I could vent my frustrations by burning the poo poo out of her.

I didn't need them though, as I pulled out the victory. The extra levels and gear helped, giving me JUST enough to survive a single-target Blizzara, but the big winner was the purchase of Confuse, which kept the Commanders from murderating my fragile little casters (they finished off a few ST-Blizzara targets as it was) and also contributed a few shots against Shiva herself.

Use rods. Use rods. Use rods. Use rods. Use rods. Use rods. USE RODS. USE RODS. BREAK THE RODS.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Well, poo poo. Got to Liquid Flame with Summoner and Thief, and it's kicking my rear end up and down. What should I do?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Lizard Wizard posted:

Well, poo poo. Got to Liquid Flame with Summoner and Thief, and it's kicking my rear end up and down. What should I do?

Buy Fire Rods, go find Shiva. Break them all over her, return to Karnak.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Classtoise posted:

Shorter plan: Buy Ice Rods, break them on Liquid Flame's.... well, he's only got a face 1/3 of the time, but you know what I mean.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Classtoise posted:

You have to have rods equipped to break them, right? Just checking.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Holy poo poo that was quick. :stare:

Rebelle Winter
Jun 21, 2015
I am having insane drop luck this run. I went to Phoenix Tower to pick up some new shoes because shoe shopping is my favourite hobby and got two Hermes Sandals in the same fight right away. It also only took me a few minutes to get a full set of Reflect Rings, and only three battles to get three Death Sickles. I don't think I've ever had this kind of luck in an RPG ever.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Lizard Wizard posted:

You have to have rods equipped to break them, right? Just checking.

Yup. Equip it, go up in your item list to your equipped weapons, and hit it twice. Enjoy your gratuitous violence.

Also, remember to always have an Ice Rod equipped when casting Shiva. It makes it 50% stronger! :eng101:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Koobes posted:

Does lv5 death ignore the heavy tag?

So much so that it can actually break the game.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ugato posted:

So much so that it can actually break the game.

Actually, he went into his Neo-Exdeath form just fine!

and then I did this. :v:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

That's odd, I managed to get out of Karnak Castle without triggering Iron Claw.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Awwwright. Just got the second crystal and found myself in possession of Mystic Knight to go along with my White Mage. Things are looking up.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 1, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Without triggering the fight at all? I know the trick where you just kill the guard without killing his wolves, which keeps him from transforming, but I've never heard of not encountering him.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Lizard Wizard posted:

Yep, as long as you kill the sergeant before the dogs, he never turns into Iron Claw.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

Yep, as long as you kill the sergeant before the dogs, he never turns into Iron Claw.

Oh. Come to think of it, I did nuke 'em with Shivas, so...

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So, I've got Knight/Summoner/Dancer/Ranger and I'm at the crystals with no Flame Rings or rods to break.

Is there any way to make this less painful or am I just kinda boned?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Twelve by Pies posted:

So, I've got Knight/Summoner/Dancer/Ranger and I'm at the crystals with no Flame Rings or rods to break.

Is there any way to make this less painful or am I just kinda boned?

Hmm. How about this: Give everyone Summon, keep Golem up, weaken all of them but Earth to just over 3000 HP, then go to town with Titan and kill the other three before they start using their specials. After that you can do the same with the last one, with different (probably weaker) attacks. Try hoping for Sword Dance. Ideally have the Knight and hopefully Ranger with enough HP to survive the first Earth Shaker just in case.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Woo, just unlocked Ninja. Now to steal 99 Mithril Swords. :shepicide:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Not sure if this got posted yet, this thread moves so fast...

but, THERE IS ANOTHER

CHOSEN ONE

http://fourjobfiesta.com/players.php?player=EmptyeyeDotCom

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Oh. Come to think of it, I did nuke 'em with Shivas, so...

Just so you know, you miss out on the Silver Specs by doing it that way, but it's a handy time saver if you got greedy with the treasure chests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Just so you know, you miss out on the Silver Specs by doing it that way, but it's a handy time saver if you got greedy with the treasure chests.

No I don't, I stole two pairs on North Mountain already. :toot:

• Locked thread