Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

Just finished the third Chaplain I've painted up for my Ultras. I think the secret to highlighting black and enjoying it is to use those blueish Shadow Grey/Space Wolves Grey colors instead of just regular greys.

I love using P3 Coal Black for that. It's technically a very dark blue, but it's an excellent mid-tone for black, especially on hair if you're going for a glossier look.

That guy is so happy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You can wash coal black with nuln oil too for a quick job, great stuff

Probably the only paint outside the GW range I use regularly

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Oh wow, that's a brilliant use of magnets :captainpop:

edit: Also I'm chiming in for Coal black, it's a fine colour.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Im looking to do some Salamanders pre-heresy marines for Warhammer 30k, and I'm wondering what the painting experts here think of

a) GW vs Army Painter paints? I have both available from my FLGS, and was just wondering if one is considered vastly superior?

b) What kind of paint combo would goons recommend to achieve this kind of green:

Kind of dark and muted green but not quite Dark Angels completely dark.

I'm going to be trying freehanding on flames and stuff if anyone has a decent guide to that. Got a Deredeo dreadnought which is going to be my first project for this and I'll see how it turns out.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Working on the Great Beast (Not-Demogorgon) from Fractured Dimensions.

The fur is painted with the shade color from Reaper's red hair triad. I'll be coloring it up to look a bit lighter/oranger. The blue will also end up a bit lighter. The red of the nose will probably be hit with a wash to darken it a bit, then brought up a bit with highlights. The yellow, obviously, needs more layers so that it'll look half-decent. I'm basing the colors here partly on pictures of mandrills, and partly on pictures of Demogorgon. I haven't decided if I'm going to hit the skin with some Reaper tanned skin paint, or if I'll maybe make it a bit orange to go with the fur. The reptilian bits/tentacles will be done up in a nice bright green, rather than the flat pea-green I've seen him done up as

For now, though, he's got monkey heads.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cross postin' oathin'

NTRabbit posted:

:refurb: OATH COMPLETE :refurb:

Unbased, because my Basius II pads still haven't arrived yet, despite being due in April

Claiming Privateer Press competition, and using my :australia: card to swap and claim the January winter Challenge with this snowy base.

Claiming KR Competition, can anyone guess what I painted? :v:

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Fun fact! Coal Black + Nuln/Badab Black + blue highlights + Future = boss Space Hulk Genestealer box art style carapace.

Summertime Oath Thread Crosspost! /cue surf music

Dr. Gargunza posted:

This month's oath contained a lot of sculpting, scratchbuilding, and some resin casting, at none of which am I any good. But here you go.

Orks on da Beach!!! :frogsiren:

Pictured: Klork Grizwaaagh, enjoying one of the local cocktails; unidentified grot companion, attempting to get rid of tan lines despite interference from Grizwaaagh's shadow. Both are pretty well soused on many bottles of Pilzna Orkell.

Apologies for the camera angle on this.

For this month's challenge, I admit to getting all excited about a vacation-themed piece, and by the time I plotted it out and started converting, I realized I'd forgotten to include a vehicle. Thus, I switched courses and went with the technical challenge, water effects.

The cooler full of ice water and beer is a solid piece of clear resin, dolled up with some colored glazes (and extra plastic on the sides to hide the many, many casting imperfections). The empties on the base were also resin casts, painted up with ink wash and Future. Less successfully, I played around with the lighting a bit, in the form of angled shadows from a lower light source (hence the grot angrily telling the ork to move, dammit).

Oh, and also Steampunk Battlepope High Exemplar Kreoss from Privateer Press! I went for a colder grey-white look to his robes, offset by warmer colors on the trim (which included Red Gold and White Gold from Vallejo's Liquid Metal line of alcohol-based paints).

Fuller gallery is here.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Fun fact! Coal Black + Nuln/Badab Black + blue highlights + Future = boss Space Hulk Genestealer box art style carapace.

Nice, but am I the only person who's been drilling out exhaust ports on Warmachine models?

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010
Pilzna Orkell is just golden, great, fun mini for sure.

Love the cooler too!

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Lord Twisted posted:

Im looking to do some Salamanders pre-heresy marines for Warhammer 30k, and I'm wondering what the painting experts here think of

a) GW vs Army Painter paints? I have both available from my FLGS, and was just wondering if one is considered vastly superior?

b) What kind of paint combo would goons recommend to achieve this kind of green:

I'm going to be trying freehanding on flames and stuff if anyone has a decent guide to that. Got a Deredeo dreadnought which is going to be my first project for this and I'll see how it turns out.

A) I think both are manufactured by the same company - HMG paints ltd. so, unless Army Painter have specified ultra-cheap formulations, the quality shouldn't differ too much. You're probably best off buying what you need from both lines though, the warpaints range is fairly small.

B) I did a quick test with my Vallejo stuff and a 1:1 mix of Goblin Green and Heavy Green looks pretty close to the base colour.

Using the new Citadel names: a mix of Warboss Green and Loren Forest or Castellan Green for the base. I think the highlights are just the base mix with progressively more Warboss Green added - though the extreme edge highlights and scale patterns might have a bit of Ushabti Bone mixed in. It's quite a small picture though, so this is all best-guess.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Iron Crowned posted:

Nice, but am I the only person who's been drilling out exhaust ports on Warmachine models?

I've tried once or twice, but so many of them are oddly shaped (or sculpted) that I just can't get them to look right. I'd love to get them drilled on 'jacks but again, I don't trust that they'd look good enough to risk it.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

I've done that on the Menoth 'jacks that came with the starter box. (I thought about doing it with Kreoss, too. After I'd put primer on him. :doh: )

Chewbaccanator posted:

Love the cooler too!

Thanks! That was actually the part that took the longest to assemble (had to wait for the resin to cure, cut the plastic to fit, try 3 different glues before finding one that would stick a cut-up hotel-room keycard to the resin, etc.). After that, though, it was just brush-on primer, Tin Bitz/Warplock Bronze, heavy Devlan/Agrax wash, and an intentionally streaky drybrush of Vallejo Oily Steel to orkify it up. Glad you liked it!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Dr. Gargunza posted:

This whole thing is really fun, but the cooler and beers look especially great. I also love the tropical drink and use of a cocktail umbrella.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

JackMann posted:

Working on the Great Beast (Not-Demogorgon) from Fractured Dimensions.

The fur is painted with the shade color from Reaper's red hair triad. I'll be coloring it up to look a bit lighter/oranger. The blue will also end up a bit lighter. The red of the nose will probably be hit with a wash to darken it a bit, then brought up a bit with highlights. The yellow, obviously, needs more layers so that it'll look half-decent. I'm basing the colors here partly on pictures of mandrills, and partly on pictures of Demogorgon. I haven't decided if I'm going to hit the skin with some Reaper tanned skin paint, or if I'll maybe make it a bit orange to go with the fur. The reptilian bits/tentacles will be done up in a nice bright green, rather than the flat pea-green I've seen him done up as

For now, though, he's got monkey heads.

Wait Fractured Dimensions actually fulfilled up to the Great Beast? I may yet have the ability to buy their poo poo at retail.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

First time painting something non-GW, Big Boss from a Ground Zeroes miniatures set. Felt pretty good about this one so decided to post it, still need to figure out how to take the better photos though

StabMasterArson fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 1, 2015

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I've done that on the Menoth 'jacks that came with the starter box. (I thought about doing it with Kreoss, too. After I'd put primer on him. :doh: )

After years of "DRILL UR BARRELS N00B!" in the 40k threads, it just becomes second nature to me to drill out anything tubelike as soon as I get the mold lines scraped off. I had to use my dremmel on the jacks because my pin vise couldn't hold a bit big enough

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Terrible Opinions posted:

Wait Fractured Dimensions actually fulfilled up to the Great Beast? I may yet have the ability to buy their poo poo at retail.

Dude's fulfilling really slowly. Like, people have been getting their stuff as recently as this last week. I got mine back in February. Best guess is that he ran out of money and is shipping each time he gets paid, though he's been keeping mum as to the reason for the delays. I would expect it to get to retail if/when he gets everything shipped out, though there's no telling just when that will be.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Lord Twisted posted:

I'm not familiar with Army Painter but they seem to use the same squeeze bottles as Vajello so definitely go with Army Painter. The squeeze bottles are far more useful and easier to use than the GW pots. They're more narrow so fall over far more easily, though, if that matters to you.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

That is really, really cool.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lord Twisted posted:

If you're going mostly green, I'd use the mixture OneTrueBru recommended, but Zenithal Prime that poo poo:
http://www.powerfisted.com/?p=199

Then hit it with a dark wash.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Post 9-11 User posted:

I'm not familiar with Army Painter but they seem to use the same squeeze bottles as Vajello so definitely go with Army Painter. The squeeze bottles are far more useful and easier to use than the GW pots. They're more narrow so fall over far more easily, though, if that matters to you.
I feel like I'm almost always wasting paint out of dropper bottles since once it's out it can't really go back in.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I've considered going back to paint pots, for similar reasons. And then I'll do something like the other night when an entire open pot of Waywatcher Green shot out of my fingers and left all its contents in a trail across my painting desk, and it's like falling in love with dropper bottles all over again.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SRM posted:

I feel like I'm almost always wasting paint out of dropper bottles since once it's out it can't really go back in.

I thought the same way at first, but OTOH you don't have paint needlessly drying in the pot, you don't waste time transferring the paint to a palette with a brush/toothpick to thin/mix, and if you use an airbrush, bottles win hands down from sheer convenience.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

and if you use a wet palette, just put down one drop and use it until it's gone. then put down another drop. :p

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Signal posted:

and if you use a wet palette, just put down one drop and use it until it's gone. then put down another drop. :p

Unless it's summer, where the whole wet pallete disintegrates immediately.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Make a better wet palette out of crap you probably have lying around. It won't have any trouble with summer.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

SRM posted:

Good point, I need to take paint out of a GW pot using a larger brush, so less paint is wasted. But, the dropper bottles have screw tops, so the reverse can be done: use a brush to scoop up paint and scrape it into the bottle.

Speaking of which: dust your painting table before painting. Getting fuzz, dust or hair onto a painted model is a real pain in the rear end.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I finally got to paint my Valhallan army's centerpiece, a Shadowsword superheavy tank that I've named "Tsar" appropriately.

And for scale:

Various graffiti on it says “Crush”, “Pray to the Emperor”, “For the homeland!”, “Valhalla” and other such stuff.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Your Valhallans are amazing and are seriously making me consider them as a future army.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
crosspost from Historicals thread

Throbbing blob posted:

Hi! Have some terrible pictures of my BA MMG. I've painted 7 infantry too, but they aren't based yet so they'll come around soon.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

For a second I thought moola had posted something actually hobby related, those binoc lenses really pop.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Drone posted:

Your Valhallans are amazing and are seriously making me consider them as a future army.
Thanks! I'm not buying them up anymore so you should actually be able to find them on eBay now. Also Victoria Lamb has some good looking ones in development.

Throbbing blob posted:

crosspost from Historicals thread
I think the base rim should be brown, but I love the earthy color palette, eye-catching lenses, and overall clean paintwork. These guys look solid.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Ive been trying to paint a model that I just primed and its been acting really weirdly. When I paint some areas of it, the paint doesn't seem to want to apply and instead just forms droplets on the surface.

Any idea whats happened and how to fix it?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

w00tmonger posted:

Sounds like the surface is hydrophobic, what did you prime it with?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

w00tmonger posted:

Ive been trying to paint a model that I just primed and its been acting really weirdly. When I paint some areas of it, the paint doesn't seem to want to apply and instead just forms droplets on the surface.

What kind of model?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

primed it with black/grey/white valejo primer with an airbrush.

model is white-metal and plastic (privateer press)

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

w00tmonger posted:

primed it with black/grey/white valejo primer with an airbrush.

model is white-metal and plastic (privateer press)

Isn't Vallejo the range that has a colour called grey primer that isn't a primer?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Skarsnik posted:

Isn't Vallejo the range that has a colour called grey primer that isn't a primer?

Yes, they have a white not-primer as well.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

How well does Zenithal priming work with a white color scheme? I'm trying to figure out the best way to paint Retribution of Scyrah. I do have an airbrush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Works pretty awesome, in my experience!