Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

theultimo posted:

Yeah I ant wait for OS X Milli Vanilli edition that finally fixes SMB shares and lets Active directory work right.

Oh wait.

yeah im really pissed that a bunch of microsoft garbage doesnt work on something that isnt windows

oh wait, thats someone elses job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

theultimo posted:

I had to install these 5, but now I can play Devil May Cry or Tera, havent decided.

lol @ this and your loving windows phone

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i hope osx 10.11 is actually named milli vanilli and has a milli vanilli background as defualt that would own a lot

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

theultimo posted:

Thanks to that, I'ma gonna probably play some games, something a Mac doesnt have access to the majority of.

Steam streaming solves this. you run a headless Windows desktop machine with your Steam account logged in on your network and then your mac has access to all the games #wow #whoa

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

univbee posted:

Steam streaming solves this. you run a headless Windows desktop machine with your Steam account logged in on your network and then your mac has access to all the games #wow #whoa

u cant get good frags wityh the n00b mode setup. sorry not sorry bitch if you want to get a savage sick kd u need an authentically digital rig. peace

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Smythe posted:

u cant get good frags wityh the n00b mode setup. sorry not sorry bitch if you want to get a savage sick kd u need an authentically digital rig. peace

i'll humor you and pretend that playing games sober isn't the saddest goddamn thing, but aren't all the big tournament k/d 360 noscope pc games available natively on mac anyway?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

univbee posted:

i'll humor you and pretend that playing games sober isn't the saddest goddamn thing, but aren't all the big tournament k/d 360 noscope pc games available natively on mac anyway?

I'll humor you with a response, you simpering little human being.

1) No. even so, you get double, nay, quad frames on a windows with same hardware. Why? I dont loving know. I don't work in computers.

2) Pay close attention betty beta bitch: im a winner in every facet of my life. I was born a winner. I win at work. I win at girlfriends. and I win in happiness per capita. You don't know the first thing about video game ownership. Speaking of ownership, in the words of the legendary game designer Icefraud: I just pwned your head. Rofl

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

honestly if you're that serious about vidcons, the os you're running means gently caress all as long as it's not broken because when are you ever going to not be running your game full-screen anyway?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

theultimo posted:

But in the real world, try connecting an OS X machine to a windows domain for business using Citrix VPN tunneling

Hint: IT DOESNT WORK

you just run win 8 in parallels and connect to the vpn and then add the domain controller to the hosts file because dns doesnt work right when the parallels is in a vpn and osx isnt. i have a real client who does this.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

univbee posted:

honestly if you're that serious about vidcons, the os you're running means gently caress all as long as it's not broken because when are you ever going to not be running your game full-screen anyway?

it does because os x vidya drivers are terrible and you can't turn off mouse accel

- posted from a mac you dumb fucker

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sudo Echo posted:

it does because os x vidya drivers are terrible and you can't turn off mouse accel

- posted from a mac you dumb fucker

i was actually meaning from the windows side; the start menu being garbage and the OS' fonts sucking and the mail app not working and, and, and...don't mean a drat if you're playing Counter-Strike or whatever 16 hours a day and exclusively using in-game functions to communicate with people you know. Your comp is basically a glorified arcade cabinet at that point.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

univbee posted:

they aren't and the few that are play better under windows because osx is slow as poo poo.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

they run better in windows because the "native" OS X games you're talking about are actually using what amounts to a wine wrapper. it's usually faster in loving VMware

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no any of the ones written in modern engines like unreal 3 are running native in opengl and its just that osx is really slow and garbage. its not meant to be used for people who want things to happen quickly.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Smythe posted:

1) No. even so, you get double, nay, quad frames on a windows with same hardware. Why? I dont loving know. I don't work in computers.

directx

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Necc0 posted:

directx

and it goes up to twelve :rice:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
my windows machine doesn't even have photoshop installed because all i do with it is video games

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

they run better in windows because the "native" OS X games you're talking about are actually using what amounts to a wine wrapper. it's usually faster in loving VMware

it's also because apple's opengl implementation is garbage

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

also nvidia/ati graphics drivers on OS X are garbage

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you cant write good drivers for Linux because the underlying platform is trash

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

good to know but we're talking about xnu, not linux

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we're talking about osx which is a Linux

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

The_Franz posted:

it's also because apple's opengl implementation is garbage

dont worry metal will change everything and apple will support developers

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
after about a week and a half of testing, we have decided the slurface hub is useless. lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

all of this posting ignoring the fact that if your playing video games on a computer rather than a console it means you;re a loving idiot nerd that no 1 wants to associate with and should just buy a ps4 like a regular human being.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

osx not running games is actually a feature and a plus point so that ur not associated with beingf some ur-nerd idiot

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Mr. Nice! posted:

lol navy ships were almost entirely xp with ie 6 or 7 when I got out two years ago and shore assets had barely started upgrading to win7. nice to see that they haven't made any progress.

I saw a mid-2000s photo of some procurement office on a carrier, with inventory software running on a 486 in the corner

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i wouldn't be surprised if there's an old commodore or some poo poo in a missile command center, and if broke we'd all be killed by nuclear fire

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Phoenixan posted:

i wouldn't be surprised if there's an old commodore or some poo poo in a missile command center, and if broke we'd all be killed by nuclear fire
This is the program forr nuclear strikes:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

theultimo posted:

Its physically impossible. Apple doesnt support the industry standard Smart Card (PIV) we need.

But windows does, oddly enough.

computer janitor fails at PIV, nobody is surprised

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i thought this was the microsoft is bad thread, not the os flame war thread

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

an OS flame war!?!? in the Your Operating System is a Pile of poo poo subforum!?!?! madness!!!!

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
so much beauty

:allears:

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

anthonypants posted:

i thought this was the microsoft is bad thread, not the os flame war thread

your OS is a POS

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

your OS is a POS

:chanpop:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pseudorandom name posted:

an OS flame war!?!? in the Your Operating System is a Pile of poo poo subforum!?!?! madness!!!!
yeah and who won that thread

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Phoenixan posted:

http://www.polyphoto.com/upchug/AEcastro.html

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
its always amused me that the best platform for OpenGL development has been Windows. u wanted to write/use software requiring GL4.x? hope you aren't using OSX or Linux.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Sauer posted:

its always amused me that the best platform for OpenGL development has been Windows. u wanted to write/use software requiring GL4.x? hope you aren't using OSX or Linux.
hd3000/4000 continues to be the downfall of humanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

build 10158 lasted a day before they had to emergen-push 10159 to the fast ring

i hear they added a 6th and 7th style of context menu to the main desktop ui

• Locked thread