Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

NikkolasKing posted:

I have a complex moral/philosophical question for all of you.

What is everyone's problem with turn-based combat? Do you have a thing against turn-based combat?

I was talking about FFVII Remake, and a lot of people were theorizing it's gonna play more like FFXV or whatever, and I just don't get it. It feels like Square and a lot of people online want to argue that being turn-based is outdated and being "new" means that characters should at least wobble around a lot a la FFXIII. (and I know ATB isn't exactly turn-based but it's also far from an Action RPG)

I even had this interview linked to me that says Americans hate turn-based RPGs.

I know some people will argue "it's silly how you just run over to them, poke them, then return to your spot so they can attack you back" but it's also ridiculous when they shoot you in the face for 10 damage or blow up the solar system for 500 damage.

I don't think people generally hate turn-based combat -- people hate turn-based combat that wastes your time. Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei are both working on extremely dated, turn-based mechanics while providing a compelling experience. What sets a good turn-based RPG apart from a bad one is that the good RPG actually demands that you think about what you're doing, uses a variety of ideas to prevent random battles from feeling like a worthless waste of time (removing them entirely, asking that you play them properly, handing out a more meaningful reward than 5% of a level's worth of experience, or any combination thereof), and generally provides a good degree of player customization.

Turn-based games can be fun if done right, but you have to design some meaningful player agency into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RPGs, to a large extent, are still built with the weird idea of barfing dull, unchallenging trash encounters everywhere. The reason people dislike turn-based combat is because it makes trying to get through them that much slower. Get rid of dull trash encounters and you solve the biggest hurdle to having an enjoyable turn-based game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Vermain posted:

RPGs, to a large extent, are still built with the weird idea of barfing dull, unchallenging trash encounters everywhere. The reason people dislike turn-based combat is because it makes trying to get through them that much slower. Get rid of dull trash encounters and you solve the biggest hurdle to having an enjoyable turn-based game.

Or let players customize the encounter system itself. Along with the excellent execution of the job system and neat B/D system, that was one of Bravely Default's best features.

e:

quote:

It made everyone samey and then you just picked whoever had the best stats and limit break.

That is an issue with half of the Final Fantasy games (3,5,6,7,8,10 sort of, 10-2, 12 non-zodiac) and has been done in plenty of other games and series. I recognize that "leveling the job/materia" vs "leveling the character" has small meaningful effects on how one plays a game but it never really deterred from the fun for me.

Also, FF7's limit breaks were different enough between characters and commonly used enough that they were pretty meaningful differences between them.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 1, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

bravely default's turning off random encounters isn't as innovative as usually claimed in my opinion, because it's still a worse solution than just not having random encounters, which is basically the standard nowadays anyway

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Has anyone played the PSN version of Digital Devil Saga? It's on sale (again), but I saw somebody on NeoGaf saying it runs slow and has sound issues. I'd like to finally get around to it, but not if it runs like rear end.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

gently caress the FF7 remake, where are the ones for 5 and 6? :colbert:

Though I guess after seeing what they did with 3 and 4, maybe it's for the best.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Cake Attack posted:

bravely default's turning off random encounters isn't as innovative as usually claimed in my opinion, because it's still a worse solution than just not having random encounters, which is basically the standard nowadays anyway

Not everyone hates random encounters though. I don't mind them up until the endgame when I'm just going around doing end-gamey stuff which is exactly when that "turn off random encounters" feature becomes very useful. Note that it also let you increase encounter rate and encounter speed letting you grind at a million miles and hour if you wanted as well.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

gently caress the FF7 remake, where are the ones for 5 and 6? :colbert:

Though I guess after seeing what they did with 3 and 4, maybe it's for the best.

Yeah, after making the remake of 4, the might make a good remake of 5 and 6

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

bloodychill posted:

Not everyone hates random encounters though. I don't mind them up until the endgame when I'm just going around doing end-gamey stuff which is exactly when that "turn off random encounters" feature becomes very useful. Note that it also let you increase encounter rate and encounter speed letting you grind at a million miles and hour if you wanted as well.

I quite like random encounters.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Turn-based combat may not be an archaic holdover from when that was all older RPG's could do but lovely random encounters definitely are.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i will defend random encounters as having a situational niche in game design. basically they make fights unavoidable, so they are good in Etrian Odyssey, for example

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

I think the only niche that random encounters fill in game design is "our game engine/art and modeling budget can't really handle non-random encounters but we've designed around their inherent flaws." Shin Megami Tensei 4 had its own way of making fights both avoidable and unavoidable in an interesting way -- by making failed attempts to avoid a fight extremely risky, prompting the player to either take the safe, cautious approach or the fast, risky style.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Codiekitty posted:

Wouldn't you also have to revive Neifirst? Because you can kill Neifirst with Nei if you're really overleveled, but Nei dies anyway because she's bound to Neifirst.

Which reminds me, how come in Phantasy Star II you can revive Nei at the cloning station as many times as you like up until the underwater dungeon, but after Neifirst kills her the clone woman says "Nope, can't do a thing, she ain't human!" Why not have the hag say something like "Well, I cloned her but she ain't responding. It's as if part of her is missing."

The retranslated version has the cloning hag say "Welp, all of the human parts of her are completely destroyed" after killing Neifirst, with the implication she can't do poo poo if that happens. The official translation blew it, as usual.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
I like the way the Zeboyd RPGs handle random encounters. That was pretty neat.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Heavy neutrino posted:

I think the only niche that random encounters fill in game design is "our game engine/art and modeling budget can't really handle non-random encounters but we've designed around their inherent flaws." Shin Megami Tensei 4 had its own way of making fights both avoidable and unavoidable in an interesting way -- by making failed attempts to avoid a fight extremely risky, prompting the player to either take the safe, cautious approach or the fast, risky style.

that's just frustrating. battle shouldn't be a punishment for loving up it should be something fun to do. like chronocross has all these puzzle rooms where you need to figure out how to prevent getting mobbed by trash enemies to progress. gently caress that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Random encounters are fine. Probability-based mechanics with extremely limited opportunities for player input are a valid element of game design, and they are also way cheaper to implement than most other ways of having low-intensity, resource-draining practice battles. In a highly content-intensive genre like RPGs, going with random battles as a cost-saving measure incurs savings that can be dedicated towards improving more distinctive qualities like the variety of the encounters themselves or the size and density of the game world.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

counter argument: they suck

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

counter argument: they suck

they suck so that other parts of the game can afford to rule

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

in seriousness i don't buy on faith the argument that implementing a field based encounter system (touch the enemy model, fight them) is meaningfully more expensive than regular random encounters

i'll agree that there is a niche for random encounters in that forcing players to fight can make for good design, which i think is what you said

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

that's just frustrating. battle shouldn't be a punishment for loving up it should be something fun to do. like chronocross has all these puzzle rooms where you need to figure out how to prevent getting mobbed by trash enemies to progress. gently caress that.

You're reminding me of Chrono Trigger, where, despite there being no random encounters, it's nearly impossible to avoid most fights, despite the system the game has to let you avoid them.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Why shouldn't an encounter be a "punishment" for failing to avoid an encounter? And besides, who's to say you can't have a system where battles are fun, rewarding, and avoidable given some player finesse, all at the same time? I have some issues with the way SMT4 did things (rng decides that reinforcements appear -> rng decides the enemy acts first -> game over), but I don't think a lot of people would say that encounters weren't enjoyable, especially given that they're over in a cinch after you learn weaknesses and play them properly.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There are much better ways of handling trash encounters than RNG and even low budget games like Radiant Historia can manage an on-field encounter system, but at the same time random encounters don't bug me all that much. The only time it's really bad is when they put involved puzzle dungeons in a game with random encounters, so you're left fiddling with things while you keep getting sent to battle screen halfway between each switch or whatever.

Motto fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 1, 2015

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I once played a game that had nothing but fixed encounters. It made everything boringly predictable/streamlined.

Erebus posted:

Has anyone played the PSN version of Digital Devil Saga? It's on sale (again), but I saw somebody on NeoGaf saying it runs slow and has sound issues. I'd like to finally get around to it, but not if it runs like rear end.

Sadly both it and Nocturne had those weird bugs. They're not too severe but it detracts a bit from the games.
Like, the demon fusion animation in PS3 Nocturne barely functions, but you usually skip that anyway.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is there any reason to replay Lightning Returns on Hard mode? Is there extra content or anything?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Rascyc posted:

Is there any reason to replay Lightning Returns on Hard mode? Is there extra content or anything?
Extra stuff in shops, better loot. You can do a round of NG+ even on easy though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think the only problem with random encounters is that you can't clear areas that you've already explored as safe. This becomes a problem when you need to backtrack and hit a switch or something. On the other hand, games with fixed encounters often respawn enemies on screen change, which can be even more frustrating.

I think the best option is to have some way to earn your right to avoid enemies in a reliable way. For example, a system where trivial battles end automatically or where you can turn off encounters in dungeons you've already cleared (the last Wild Arms game had a switch you hit within the dungeon that turned on a magic barrier or whatever). Letting you avoid all enemies always strikes me as sort of admitting that your combat system in unfun, and having unavoidable battles with onscreen enemies (say, standing in front of door) is often just frustrating.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Heavy neutrino posted:

Why shouldn't an encounter be a "punishment" for failing to avoid an encounter?

if battling trash mobs were ever a source of fun for the player you'd have a point, and reading skills.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Random encounters make sense in dungeon crawlers where not being able to stay in dangerous areas indefinitely is a key design feature and one of the questions you're supposed to be asking yourself as a player is "how much longer should I risk pushing ahead before turning back", but in most other RPGs since the mid-90s you're expected to clear out dungeons in one trip anyway so you may as well let players choose when they feel like fighting.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Even worse is when, in some RPGs no resources are actually expended in battle (because you heal to full HP/there is no mana/etc.). So the only thing repeated battles cost you is time. You usually get some XP out of the deal but at the point when you'd rather avoid fighting that XP is probably not looking very attractive.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the problem isn't turn-based battles it's boring rear end design. hit the guy and heal sometimes isn't really interesting. there has never been a single final fantasy game where you have to actually make interesting mid-battle decisions at any point, ever.

eo games are good games with turn-based combat, because they're actually somewhat challenging and combat serves a purpose outside of existing.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
final fantasy five

e: provided you are using restricted classes. the whole thing breaks if you just pick the "good" classes

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Fiesta has kinda motivated me to finally beat FFV. I've started and stopped it several times over the years but never got farther than like an hour or so in.

I'm not going to be playing it with the Fiesta though because that's like a challenge run. Challenge runs aren't supposed to be your first time through a game. You'd be missing out on all the fun of trying different things.

I've heard the game can waver from hard to easy, depending on if you pick the "right" or "wrong" classes. A friend told me all that was bullshit though, or at least some of the "bad" classes weren't as bad as I had heard. (like Black Mage or Berserker) I think he said Trainer or Ranger were kinda bad, especially since you'll only use Ranger to get one ability and then never use it ever again.

That sounds like it can be kinda broken, if you can just learn the "useful" abilities from a lesser job and then import all of them into a better job.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 1, 2015

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
my first completion of the game was doing the fiesta run, but i've run the game multiple times up to the fourth act a bunch of times over the years.

the point of the game, whether intended or not, is to find the most broken class / skill combinations that you can find. that is where most of the fun is in the game, and a lot of the later bosses, especially the optional bosses, are meant to test your ability to craft unkillable party comps. it's pretty easy to do this in a standard run, and for the most part it is a "solved" problem. what the four job fiesta does is changes the parts of the equation so that you can solve it for your specific party. its a fun way to play through it, and i highly recommend it. there isn't any combination of classes you can get that won't be able to beat the game, if you just do a chaos run.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Clarste posted:

I think the best option is to have some way to earn your right to avoid enemies in a reliable way. For example, a system where trivial battles end automatically or where you can turn off encounters in dungeons you've already cleared (the last Wild Arms game had a switch you hit within the dungeon that turned on a magic barrier or whatever). Letting you avoid all enemies always strikes me as sort of admitting that your combat system in unfun, and having unavoidable battles with onscreen enemies (say, standing in front of door) is often just frustrating.

Ar Nosurge handled this in a really great way, I thought. When you get into a random battle, you have many waves of enemies that you have to fight through, with a limited number of turns to do it in. Each wave that you defeat comes out of a "total" for the dungeon, and once you've beaten them all, you're done with random battles for the rest of your time in that dungeon. (until you leave and come back) If you're good / powerful enough, you can even do it in one "battle".

It allowed for the forcing of some fighting, quick resolution, and not punishing intra-dungeon backtracking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8sXoEod6FA

Endorph posted:

the problem isn't turn-based battles it's boring rear end design. hit the guy and heal sometimes isn't really interesting. there has never been a single final fantasy game where you have to actually make interesting mid-battle decisions at any point, ever.

This is why FF13's combat was so awesome, because it was focused on the strategy of the battles more than on the individual moves. You had to balance buffs / debuffs (which are incredibly important), healing, defense, staggering, etc. in an effective manner. For trash mobs, doing this correctly could be the difference between a 20s fight and a 2m fight, and some of the bosses are just plain impossible without intelligent shifting.

Edit: though I suppose FF13 may not qualify as "turn-based".
Edit2: also FF14 also completely blows your "no interesting decisions" point away, but I suspect you'll say that it doesn't count.

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 1, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Speaking of Ar Nosurge, the plus version just released on Vita here but the original PS3 version is on sale at the moment, anyone know if Plus is worth the extra?
Is it worthwhile in general?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

not really. give me five and ill post more in depth thoughts

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

rip Sakurazuka, posted anime in GBS a month ago

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

lol

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005