Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Gammatron 64 posted:

and the moral of its story was "don't question the existence of God or magic, this stuff is actually real, silly non-believers."

This is super 100% true and a big catalyst of the Allagan (and subsequent Garlean) campaigns of world domination. Additionally, the war of the Amdapori roused one of these "gods" and they flushed Eorzea like a giant toilet because their wanton use of magic was upsetting them. (Also known as the "Sixth Umbral Era")

It might seem dumb but they are very important aspects to the universe of FF14 :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Blockhouse posted:

The Gridania thing is in a sidequest where you're trying to help this dying woman but get told "tough poo poo" because she broke a branch without permission or some dumb forest hippie bull. The Limsa Lominsa expansion thing comes up in the main quest but Merlwyb quickly changes the subject every time someone mentions it and Titan is really more of a pressing issue.

Gridanias xenophobia also comes up in the MSQ when they refuse to help some sick Ala Mhigans because they broke some law of the elementals they couldn't have known about.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Gridanias xenophobia also comes up in the MSQ when they refuse to help some sick Ala Mhigans because they broke some law of the elementals they couldn't have known about.

I think we're talking about the same thing and I forgot it was MSQ and not a side quest

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

More specifically they are allowed in the forest only because the Elementals say so and they asked the Elementals who said "No, more people would upset the balance"

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Kobolds shot first at red rooster stead

Teach the conspiricy

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Simply telling you those things directly would be bad storytelling bur yes they do show you all the things he mentioned during the MSQ. You simply missed it.

Y'shtola calls the Admiral out on causing the entire debacle with Titan in the first place because Limsa were the treaty breakers, not the kobolds. Similarly, the Blacksmith guilds receptionist reveals that the entire Limsan tradition of metal working originated in them enslaving kobolds and observing their forced labor.

Limsa has a pretty nasty history of being thw aggressor against the kobolds. They aren't all that different from the Garleans in practice.

Yeah, I guess I missed it then, my bad. This game (and FFXI) have a tendency to blather on and on (especially whenever Minfillia or Alphinaud over their drat mouths), and I'm just kinda like "just get to the point already" and skim the text a bit.

Emalde posted:

This is super 100% true and a big catalyst of the Allagan (and subsequent Garlean) campaigns of world domination. Additionally, the war of the Amdapori roused one of these "gods" and they flushed Eorzea like a giant toilet because their wanton use of magic was upsetting them. (Also known as the "Sixth Umbral Era")

It might seem dumb but they are very important aspects to the universe of FF14 :v:

Honestly, as I was getting toward the end of 2.0's storyline, I really kind of started to dislike Eorzea and felt like rooting for the Garlean Empire. What the hell was Cid thinking when he switched sides? Sorry guys, I feel I have a need to side with the "evil" empire.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Honestly, as I was getting toward the end of 2.0's storyline, I really kind of started to dislike Eorzea and felt like rooting for the Garlean Empire. What the hell was Cid thinking when he switched sides? Sorry guys, I feel I have a need to side with the "evil" empire.

A silly impulse. Eorzea is deeply flawed, but the Garlean Empire are literally Nazi Germany on roids in many respects. They ethnically cleanse "beast tribes" as standard procedure and have already genocided their way across two continents.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

A silly impulse. Eorzea is deeply flawed, but the Garlean Empire are literally Nazi Germany on roids in many respects. They ethnically cleanse "beast tribes" as standard procedure and have already genocided their way across two continents.

Okay yeah. I didn't realize that either. I need to pay more attention.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.
If they built some magical V2's they might be able to actually beat the allied nations. I don't think Limsan coral towers are up-to-snuff against aether nukes.

Sidebar: Just dinged 60 last night. This is my first time ever being max level in an MMO, and I like the idea of socking for raid-tier weaponry.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Forward_Bee posted:

If they built some magical V2's they might be able to actually beat the allied nations. I don't think Limsan coral towers are up-to-snuff against aether nukes.

Sidebar: Just dinged 60 last night. This is my first time ever being max level in an MMO, and I like the idea of socking for raid-tier weaponry.

They did, or something similar anyway. The Garlean airforce just has a history of unfortunate mishaps when trying to operate in Eorzean airspace.

Specifically, death by dragon horde.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Speaking of the good guys being pieces of poo poo, how about the Copperbell Mines? "So, we enslaved an entire race of giants to work in the mine, but we lost control and had to collapse the tunnels, killing most of them and trapping the rest underground for centuries. Now they're causing trouble again. Can you go kill the rest?"

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Did I miss the resolutions on Omega and the Students of Baldesion/Krile? Everything else from 2.X got either neatly or ham-fistedly addressed, but these two seem like they were set up for some Heavensward payoff that we never got.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

johnny park posted:

Speaking of the good guys being pieces of poo poo, how about the Copperbell Mines? "So, we enslaved an entire race of giants to work in the mine, but we lost control and had to collapse the tunnels, killing most of them and trapping the rest underground for centuries. Now they're causing trouble again. Can you go kill the rest?"

You sure about that one? The story behind Copperbell is basically "we dug too deep and we found hecatoncheires". Technically it's the other giant species that have enslaved them.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Argas posted:

Along with the class/job distinction, you'll notice that your bars reset when you equip your job stone. Except it's not resetting. Take off that job stone and it reverts. Your Gladiator's hotbar isn't your Paladin's hotbar.

The hole's even deeper than that. When you make a hotbar shared, all it does is change what's displayed. Each class and each job has its own version of that hotbar, sharing just means that there's a class-neutral hotbar that's present when the box is ticked. It's what allows neat hotbar tricks to work because these macros are accessing hotbars and copying them over.

As someone who has all jobs unlocked, this means the game keeps information for every single class and every single job on my character.

I do hope they do something about all these little system issues before 4.0.

Hotbars are all stored locally on the machine. Same with gear sets. It makes playing on both console and pc really drat annoying because there is no way to copy those config. Inventory order is also local so that sorting doesn't spam the server. When you move an item within your inventory its still in the same spot on the server and the client just maintains an index of where you placed it.

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 1, 2015

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Mango Polo posted:

You sure about that one? The story behind Copperbell is basically "we dug too deep and we found hecatoncheires". Technically it's the other giant species that have enslaved them.

Yes, the giants were originally enslaved by one of the mining companies a few hundred years back. One of them breaking free of the mind control being used is what led to the mining company collapsing the mine and just sort of hoping that solved the problem.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Whizbang posted:

What was so great about Vana'diel?

Fishing up rare/ex items that were supposed to be drops only.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

Did a quick Google search for the dungeon description:

quote:

Abandoned once purged of ore, the Copperbell Mines laid abandoned for nigh on three centuries until Amajina and Sons Mineral Concern reclaimed the shafts - the guild's sights set on expanding the mines downward in an attempt to tap yet undiscovered veins of valuable metal. Unfortunately, it was not riches the powder kegs uncovered, but sheer terror, for when the smoke cleared, out poured an army of raging giants from the darkest recesses of the mines. The hecatonchires - thralls of the lost Throne dynasty - were, at last, free from their lightless prison; three hundred years of hate fueling their madness.

Looking up the Thorne Dynasty then turns up this timeline thread from the Lore forums:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/64377-An-Eorzean-Timeline-Reborn posted:

1272 --- The Hecatonchires (Giants), who wore Magic Binding Helmets and worked in the Copperbell Mines, broke free from their bonds and began the Great Giant Revolve during the Thorne Dynasty. They were subsequently buried where it was thought they would perish.

The modern miners didn't have anything to do with enslaving the hecatonchires, but hey if you've been buried for hundreds of years and the only thing you had to go on was that some smoothskin jerks buried you and your people you'd probably lash out at the nearest look-alike too.

Edit: One thing I really liked about XI was how big the world map was. Sure, in hindsight it was a waste of time to run from one end of the map to the other, but they'd always put little easter eggs or just tunnels to nowhere around the maps. Kind of bummed me out when ARR came out and the maps were so tiny, but I think the map designers knocked it out of the park with the Heavensward maps. If this is the baseline that'll only improve once they cut PS3 support, I can't wait for future expansion areas.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 1, 2015

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Moldy Taxes posted:

Edit: One thing I really liked about XI was how big the world map was. Sure, in hindsight it was a waste of time to run from one end of the map to the other, but they'd always put little easter eggs or just tunnels to nowhere around the maps. Kind of bummed me out when ARR came out and the maps were so tiny, but I think the map designers knocked it out of the park with the Heavensward maps. If this is the baseline that'll only improve once they cut PS3 support, I can't wait for future expansion areas.

Are we sure they are bigger and it isn't that you were running as slow as hell as to why they felt bigger?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Holyshoot posted:

Are we sure they are bigger and it isn't that you were running as slow as hell as to why they felt bigger?

XI zones were definitely bigger, they were just lumpy lifeless zones of nothingness, though. XI had better music than XIV which helped, but the zones were still by and large Everquest 1-tier.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

Might be part of it, and might also be because I played Taru. It was big and empty. My favorite area is always going to be La Theine Plateau just because of how you could run down into the ravines and how some of them were interconnected via Ordelle's Cave. Forelands has little hints of that to me, like how there's Mourn under the mountain or Abalathia's Spine above.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

rock2much posted:

Rusty caps and black sole.

You mean moat carp.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

johnny park posted:

Copperbell HM is kind of funny because the boss is all "YOU KILLED MY SON!" and actually yeah no we totally did, that is a legitimate grievance.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Verranicus posted:

XI had better music than XIV

:eyepop:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Gammatron 64 posted:

Okay yeah. I didn't realize that either. I need to pay more attention.

Don't forget that Doma was burned to the ground when it tried to rebel against the Garlean Empire during the succession crisis, which is why Yugiri and friends end up in Eorzea.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Moldy Taxes posted:

Did I miss the resolutions on Omega and the Students of Baldesion/Krile? Everything else from 2.X got either neatly or ham-fistedly addressed, but these two seem like they were set up for some Heavensward payoff that we never got.

The Ascian that shows up in the 2.5 and 2.55 story, Nabriales, was the one who nuked the Students of Baldesion. I think he called it a conjunction or something. That's why he wanted Louisoix's staff, so he could do that literally wherever he wanted.

Omega is still under where Frontlines is happening, that's the reason for the territorial dispute, all of the city-states want that sweet loot. Also most likely a part of ex-Teledji Adeledji and Lolorito's Grand Master Scheming Plan of Schemeyness to take over Ul'dah.

Verranicus posted:

XI had better music than XIV
:eyepop:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I'm trying to play this game but after putting in my email address I have yet to receive a confirmation email. Checking online this seems to be a common issue. Does anyone know a fix for this? It's not appearing in my spam.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Iron Tusk posted:

You mean moat carp.

That too!

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Truga posted:

What's wrong with the armoury? It's the best thing about this game..

The back end of the Armoury System is, from what we've heard, actually a huge goddamn mess and poorly optimized -- and hasn't been heavily modified in HOW it stores player data from way back in 1.0. It also makes it impossible, in how it is currently set up, to set up all the classic FF Jobs. Yoshida's been eyeing it for a while, but it would take an expansion level patch and focus of attention to do an overhaul to fix it properly.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

johnny park posted:

Copperbell HM is kind of funny because the boss is all "YOU KILLED MY SON!" and actually yeah no we totally did, that is a legitimate grievance.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, I guess I missed it then, my bad. This game (and FFXI) have a tendency to blather on and on (especially whenever Minfillia or Alphinaud over their drat mouths), and I'm just kinda like "just get to the point already" and skim the text a bit.

Alphinaud is really obnoxious and annoying through all of 2.0 but by the end of ARR he has some legitimate character development and by the end of Heavensward I actually kind of like him. (End of 2.5/a bit of HW spoilers if you read between the lines) I'm hoping that when Minfilia eventually turns up again Yoshi and co. will come up with some kind of arc or something for her to actually do so she can be, like, a real character. Maybe then she'll become likable too. Thancred's probably beyond saving though. And honestly if they just bring Yda and Papalymo back we'll have all the good Scions and I'll be fine if the others just get quietly forgotten.

All that said, the one character I really can't fuckin' stand every time they open their mouth is Urianger. Just stop it stop it stop it I can't take any more "thou"s.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 1, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Gearhead posted:

The back end of the Armoury System is, from what we've heard, actually a huge goddamn mess and poorly optimized -- and hasn't been heavily modified in HOW it stores player data from way back in 1.0. It also makes it impossible, in how it is currently set up, to set up all the classic FF Jobs. Yoshida's been eyeing it for a while, but it would take an expansion level patch and focus of attention to do an overhaul to fix it properly.

Well yeah, but that's the backend. Why would armoury system itself prevent you from making a new job, though? They've added 4 since release...

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I've decided Bismarck EX nightmare mode is when someone gets the bright idea of bringing a third tank into the fight

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
it was cool to watch an old youtube video of the amazing ffxiv 1.0 armory system where doing the quick swap we had now took about a minute and a long-rear end macro because the game unloaded and reloaded the entire goddamn character model every time a piece of equipment was changed

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Iron Tusk posted:

You mean moat carp.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think it's more because Gaius is the best. Sure the rest of the Empire sucks, but drat is Gaius awesome.

quote:

What's so great about Vana'diel?

Probably a hell of a lot of nostalgia, being that I was there first and fell in love with the world. The nations weren't as shades of grey as Eorzea which helped liking them a lot. Like San d'Oria is pretty much Ishgard - snow, only without the whole evil religious police and pushing innocent people off of mountains bit. Also the whole Primals thing is a bit weird although we are learning more about them, and will hopefully learn why the whole world isn't a burning husk due to primals.

Also I did prefer the world music for XI. :colbert: It created such a strong sense of place for every zone. Soken shines at boss music, and he's gotten better at zone music, but even still most of the zone music has been a rehash of the Ishgard theme or Dragonsong. Mizuta never gets enough credit.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Opposing Farce posted:

Alphinaud is really obnoxious and annoying through all of 2.0 but by the end of it he has some legitimate character development and by the end of Heavensward I actually kind of like him. (End of 2.5/a bit of HW spoilers if you read between the lines) I'm hoping that when Minfilia eventually turns up again Yoshi and co. will come up with some kind of arc or something for her to actually do so she can be, like, a real character. Maybe then she'll become likable too. Thancred's probably beyond saving though. And honestly if they just bring Yda and Papalymo back we'll have all the good Scions and I'll be fine if the others just get quietly forgotten.

All that said, the one character I really can't fuckin' stand every time they open their mouth is Urianger. Just stop it stop it stop it I can't take any more "thou"s.

I think Thancred would be okay if they'd just actually let him start having a lot of sex.

There's something very irritating about the anime archetype of the "playboy" who's actually completely incompetent at dealing with women in spite of having lots of practice and reasonably good hair, because as everybody knows the only acceptable route to romantic success is to be oblivious to love and to dither about confessing your feelings for ten thousand manga chapters.

To put it another way, he's a character with no dignity, on top of the usual problems that apply to most of the Scions like not having any brains.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

So I changed email addresses, got my confirmation email, but now my game goes straight to a blank white screen whenever I press "I have a square enix account"...

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Truga posted:

Well yeah, but that's the backend. Why would armoury system itself prevent you from making a new job, though? They've added 4 since release...

Yoshida has used Red Mage as an example of a class that does not work with the current paradigm. They're a class that uses some of their own gimmicks, but also uses abilities from three other classes, including a tank class's main hand weapon.

He's talked about going to a system where you start off from the start with a selection of basic classes which teach you their skill trees, then you add these trees, as a whole, together in valid combinations to add up to other Jobs, instead of having everything tied to the weapon you have in your hand.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I thought the Armoury System sounded cool back when Tanaka talked about Crafting and Gathering classes contributing to combat in some manner. Something like "miner digs up rock and throws it at the enemy to debuff them". It would've been totally silly and fun for about five minutes but I kind of wish they got far enough in 1.0 to execute it before giving Tanaka the axe.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Gearhead posted:

Yoshida has used Red Mage as an example of a class that does not work with the current paradigm. They're a class that uses some of their own gimmicks, but also uses abilities from three other classes, including a tank class's main hand weapon.

He's talked about going to a system where you start off from the start with a selection of basic classes which teach you their skill trees, then you add these trees, as a whole, together in valid combinations to add up to other Jobs, instead of having everything tied to the weapon you have in your hand.

But we already have that with cross class skills? Just give the job cross class skills from 5 different classes, and make it so tank weapon + red mage soul = red mage.

Just like book + smn soul = smn and book + sch soul = sch. Hell, SCH even unlocks cleric stance, something arcanist doesn't have access to.

:shrug: It just seems like a silly excuse to me. The thing about the backend being absolute poo poo and them not wanting do to it so it doesn't break and explode in their face in one way or another is a lot more plausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Truga posted:

But we already have that with cross class skills? Just give the job cross class skills from 5 different classes, and make it so tank weapon + red mage soul = red mage.

Just like book + smn soul = smn and book + sch soul = sch. Hell, SCH even unlocks cleric stance, something arcanist doesn't have access to.

:shrug: It just seems like a silly excuse to me. The thing about the backend being absolute poo poo and them not wanting do to it so it doesn't break and explode in their face in one way or another is a lot more plausible.

To be fair he did talk about how the system is a mess of a thing on the back end before talking about completely changing HOW the system works.

• Locked thread