Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Gearhead posted:

Yoshida has used Red Mage as an example of a class that does not work with the current paradigm. They're a class that uses some of their own gimmicks, but also uses abilities from three other classes, including a tank class's main hand weapon.

He's talked about going to a system where you start off from the start with a selection of basic classes which teach you their skill trees, then you add these trees, as a whole, together in valid combinations to add up to other Jobs, instead of having everything tied to the weapon you have in your hand.

I honestly hope they never implement something like this. It would be impossible to balance and I doubt most players could successfully navigate the system. Please look forward to your pubbies taking skill choice advice from Mr. Happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Yeah I wasn't saying XIV had bad music, but like the other goon said XI gave each zone a recognizable theme and I just enjoyed them more. I also liked how each battle theme was very different and not just the same song with a different instrument.

EDIT: Anyone have that one OF thread with the chick complaining that cutscenes where here character follows NPCs around to spy on women or cutscenes that just try to make women come off as attractive to their character are immersion breaking?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
the best part about 1.0 is the 1.0 diehards

quote:

I would say ARR right now is more like other no brain MMO game. Movement, storyline, battle style, feels very cold and soulless. I played ARR for 2 months and to be honest i feel 0 interest in knowing the storyline because all NPC have no soul, they are just a computer graphic model.

The new battle system, it is much faster now, but this is not final fantasy, this is a no brain online game. keep on press the action button, "bang" "bang" "bang" "bang", huh? all attack are special attack? why the character can't punch or brandish normally? in which final fantasy game, your character only do special attack but no normal punching?

so now every "adventurer" are so drat powerful like god? FF14 is the most unrealistic final fantasy of all time.

Storyline doesn't matter, element doesn't matter, culture doesn't matter, battle doesn't matter. I really think FF14 should not count as one of the final fantasy game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

sword_man.gif posted:

the best part about 1.0 is the 1.0 diehards

Good thing he didn't play ff9, because then he would of played the worst ff.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

quote:

FF14 is the most unrealistic final fantasy of all time.
:what:

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

Gearhead posted:

Yoshida has used Red Mage as an example of a class that does not work with the current paradigm. They're a class that uses some of their own gimmicks, but also uses abilities from three other classes, including a tank class's main hand weapon.

He's talked about going to a system where you start off from the start with a selection of basic classes which teach you their skill trees, then you add these trees, as a whole, together in valid combinations to add up to other Jobs, instead of having everything tied to the weapon you have in your hand.

That could be a holistic way to deal with the issue, but I can't help but worry that it would deny flexibility. I like being able to switch from WHM to DRG on the fly, with what amounts to a few button presses. I suppose that under the paradigm you described, gear sets could be replaced with "soul stones" that contained your build. It's mostly doomed to cookie cutter tho, b/c any attempt at diversity would be crushed under the minmax axe.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

you are just using special abilities all the time instead of clicking >attack

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Okay yeah. I didn't realize that either. I need to pay more attention.

Next you'll be thinking the Garleans and Ishgardians are the same or something profoundly silly like that.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sword_man.gif posted:

you are just using special abilities all the time instead of clicking >attack

Anyone else miss skill chaining and bursting? Maybe not the way it was in 11 if it makes it to 14 but I did like coordinating special attacks.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

rock2much posted:

Anyone else miss skill chaining and bursting? Maybe not the way it was in 11 if it makes it to 14 but I did like coordinating special attacks.

Not really.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I miss taking 20 mins to build up tp to do a special move. And red mages that cut you off if you forget to say "ty".

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

rock2much posted:

Anyone else miss skill chaining and bursting?

NO

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
The Vault :smith:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So what's the fastest way of leveling gathering classes in HW? Is it still leves? When leveling originally I just did the survey leves.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
survey leves and collectable turnins

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

TooManyUzukis posted:

Next you'll be thinking the Garleans and Ishgardians are the same or something profoundly silly like that.

The thing about the Garleans is that they're right, but they're evil. Like, it's absolutely true that Eorzea is kind of a primal-drenched magical disaster waiting to happen, but their only real solution is "so we should turn the place into a magitek police state under our iron boot."

Ishgard, from what I've seen so far, is similar except for the part about them being right.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Moldy Taxes posted:

Thorne Dynasty

Gotcha, that's the thing I overlooked. They have it rough.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

I hate cutscenes where someone I like dies, right beside my AST or WHM, minutes after I was healing other grievous wounds.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
varis zos galvus was right

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tenzarin posted:

I miss taking 20 mins to build up tp to do a special move.

boost

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Rei_ posted:

I've decided Bismarck EX nightmare mode is when someone gets the bright idea of bringing a third tank into the fight

The gently caress?!?!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Tried Bis Ex for the first time last night. Average ilvl was about 165-170, which to my understanding is a bit overkill.

When we finally killed the carapace (we wiped a couple times before that happend), it took two full rounds (three dragonkiller volleys because of the stack debuff). And then we promptly wiped repeatedly when everyone blew up on their coloured dragon.

It was pretty maddening, especially since most of these people cleared T13. I really like the people in my FC, but the skill ceiling on this non excal server is in the basement.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I think I like the Empire because Gaius is literally just Darth Vader and in a cutscene or two 90% of his dialogue was just him quoting Darth Vader.

I dislike how the armory system ties everything to a weapon, so you can't use different weapons on different jobs. And you can't have something like RDM that has say, Cure and Fire, which come from WHM or BLM. It's nice being able to instantly change jobs anywhere, but you know, you could just use soul crystals for that.

Also I'm by no means a pro at this game but is there really any point in using any of the base classes once you get the jobs? Like, why would you still play Gladiator once you have Paladin, unless there's a few cross-class skills you REALLY want? They should just get rid of Gladiator completely and let Paladin use the cross-class skills it could have.

rock2much posted:

No. After a few years people quit bothering with skillchains because you needed to look up a massive loving chart to figure it out.

TooManyUzukis posted:

No, but I do think the Ishgardians are huge loving assholes, though. Ishgard reminds me a lot of San d'Oria. I didn't like San d'Oria. Windurst was the best, magic science midget supremacy.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also I'm by no means a pro at this game but is there really any point in using any of the base classes once you get the jobs?

No. MRD used to be funny in PVP but that got changed a bit back, I think. Every now and then goons run into GLAs and ACNs in Stone Vigil and such, though.

e: A good one the other night was a LNC in some 40 dungeon that just wanted to get to 50 and rush through to get MCN and didn't want to 'waste time' getting DRG.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

rock2much posted:

I do :smith:

it'd be neat to have off-GCD abilities that place a debuff for a few seconds that explodes if an appropriate off-GCD ability from another class is used before it wears off

of course I played 11 for years and so am qualified to say it was dumb and bad, but adding a cooperative element to a dps rotation could be really neat

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Suitaru posted:

I do :smith:

it'd be neat to have off-GCD abilities that place a debuff for a few seconds that explodes if an appropriate off-GCD ability from another class is used before it wears off

of course I played 11 for years and so am qualified to say it was dumb and bad, but adding a cooperative element to a dps rotation could be really neat

Trick attack, heavy thrust, etc exist.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

rock2much posted:

I do, at least in the whole teamwork sense. I'd love to see limit breaks be moved to individual basis, with a corresponding nerf in power, and then letting you do them in sequence for cool bonuses. Also this lets everyone show off their badass animations, which is a shame because normally all you see is the melee lbs.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Opposing Farce posted:

All that said, the one character I really can't fuckin' stand every time they open their mouth is Urianger. Just stop it stop it stop it I can't take any more "thou"s.

Urianger was my favorite Scion by far in 2.x, because his NA voice actor was The Leading Man. His voice actor change in 3.x is easily the worst of them, I hate his new voice.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Tried Bis Ex for the first time last night. Average ilvl was about 165-170, which to my understanding is a bit overkill.

When we finally killed the carapace (we wiped a couple times before that happend), it took two full rounds (three dragonkiller volleys because of the stack debuff). And then we promptly wiped repeatedly when everyone blew up on their coloured dragon.

It was pretty maddening, especially since most of these people cleared T13. I really like the people in my FC, but the skill ceiling on this non excal server is in the basement.

Given that Bismarck EX is a series of DPS checks -- easy ones, in fact, at that gear level -- this is one of those times where it's 100% OK to run a parser and call out the bad DPS in voice chat.

Eimi posted:

I do, at least in the whole teamwork sense. I'd love to see limit breaks be moved to individual basis, with a corresponding nerf in power, and then letting you do them in sequence for cool bonuses. Also this lets everyone show off their badass animations, which is a shame because normally all you see is the melee lbs.

This would actually be pretty cool, since it would happen much less often than XI skillchains and thus take a lot longer to get stale.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:

Tenzarin posted:

Good thing he didn't play ff9, because then he would of played the greatest ff of all time. Of all time.

Fixed that for you! :haw:

Seriously I love 9, I'm not sure why some people dislike it so much. :smith:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Here are a few Greatest Hits from the OF that nobody should miss:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/199753-Theres-not-enough-macro-space-to-play-Ninja.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/201033-SE-Please-Stop.-Dialogue-that-Presumes-My-Sexual-Orientation-Breaks-Immersion.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm getting close to hitting 57 in HW, and was wondering the "things to do daily" list, which right now consists of this:

- GC turn-ins for DoH / DoL experience
- Duty roulette (LLDR, Trial, guildhests, and eventually EXDR)
- Hunts for centurio seals
- Beast tribe quests if I hate myself that day

Anything I'm missing? Anything that will be added when I hit 60?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Who Dat posted:

Fixed that for you! :haw:

Seriously I love 9, I'm not sure why some people dislike it so much. :smith:

It was good in till you get to the end, and the bad guy who is actually vegeta tells you are goku who was sent to destroy the world as a child.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I don't understand why people singletank Ravana EX. (and then boast about 8 minute kill times lmao)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

rock2much posted:

It's me. I do.

I guess they made that way way less important in 11 in the years after CoP. Coordinating special moves is cool and if anyone could make it fun and useful it's this dev team.

It's not gonna happen, but I do think it would be neat.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

rock2much posted:

FFXIV is not not will it ever be FFXI. So can we please stop wishing/hoping/reminiscing about stuff form that game making it into this one?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Why

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Gammatron 64 posted:

Samurai was... meant to be a tank? What? Seriously? :stare:

This is a perfect example of how terrible the XI combat design team was for the first few years: they gave Samurai a fairly high parry skill and an ability that'd let them ignore one physical attack every 30 seconds or so and figured that would make them sufficiently good tanks, while they gave Ninja a spell that'd let them ignore seven attacks every minute (in a system where enemies attacked once every 6-8 seconds) but expected them to be a support class with all their random debuff ninjutsu.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Ouhei posted:

FFXIV is not not will it ever be FFXI. So can we please stop wishing/hoping/reminiscing about stuff form that game making it into this one?

The five races made it in just fine, though.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Ouhei posted:

I will crow on about FFXI as long as I'm deprived of the beauty of Dancer in FFXIV. God drat it YoshiP, let me dance Forever and Day, for my Dance is the Dance that will pierce the Heavens!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Can you feel it Eorzea? This is true power!

• Locked thread