Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

sword_man.gif posted:

the best part about 1.0 is the 1.0 diehards

"In which game is the character doing specials and not attacking."

Someone never played FFT beyond Chapter 1.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I hate cutscenes where someone I like dies, right beside my AST or WHM, minutes after I was healing other grievous wounds.

I can buy that the magical light spear is beyond normal wounds but the whole "valiant hero blocks deadly attack with shield until shield breaks and kills them because they didn't shift their weight to deflect the attack in to the ground next to them" is a really loving stupid trope. He's not blocking some WoL-seeking missile. Shifting slighting and tilting his shield would end up with the spear either striking empty ground next to him or maybe stabbing him off to the side in a way that's less likely to be fatal.

But that wouldn't let them kill off Ishgardian Jon Snow in a heroic fashion so...

Gammatron 64 posted:

No, but I do think the Ishgardians are huge loving assholes, though. Ishgard reminds me a lot of San d'Oria. I didn't like San d'Oria. Windurst was the best, magic science midget supremacy.

Ishgardians are elves. Elves being racist assholes is right up there with "fantasy setting includes ruins of ancient super advanced civilization" in terms of common tropes.

pksage posted:

Given that Bismarck EX is a series of DPS checks -- easy ones, in fact, at that gear level -- this is one of those times where it's 100% OK to run a parser and call out the bad DPS in voice chat.

It's also worth making sure the second DK is fired quickly so that the last add is dying as Bismarck's reeled in. That way everyone's rushing the carapace with little to no combat downtime. MNKs not rebuilding stacks, BLM maybe being in astral still...etc, and saving cooldowns for it. A lot of PF groups I tried running with I'd see people blowing all their damage cooldowns on the adds and then wonder why the carapace survived at 15-20% hp (other than them being terrible players). When I finally cleared it recently with goons it was dumb just how easy things went compared to the random groups I'd been trying it with.

If a group has a bunch of i170+ players and everyone's using their i180 weapon there's no reason not to one-shot the carapace at the start. If a group lacks the DPS to one-shot the carapace odds are they'll probably fail the next DPS check unless a bard or machinist can LB2 both adds and nobody fucks up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The Chairman posted:

This is a perfect example of how terrible the XI combat design team was for the first few years: they gave Samurai a fairly high parry skill and an ability that'd let them ignore one physical attack every 30 seconds or so and figured that would make them sufficiently good tanks, while they gave Ninja a spell that'd let them ignore seven attacks every minute (in a system where enemies attacked once every 6-8 seconds) but expected them to be a support class with all their random debuff ninjutsu.

And they let warriors do pretty good damage, and they switched from tank to dps.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I will crow on about FFXI as long as I'm deprived of the beauty of Dancer in FFXIV. God drat it YoshiP, let me dance Forever and Day, for my Dance is the Dance that will pierce the Heavens!

agreed. the armor is even in the game now.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Tenzarin posted:

It was good in till you get to the end, and the bad guy who is actually vegeta tells you are goku who was sent to destroy the world as a child.

What's the problem with that?

FF9 is legitimately my favorite FF of them all and objectively among the best. I will internet fight you over this.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

What's the problem with that?

FF9 is legitimately my favorite FF of them all and objectively among the best. I will internet fight you over this.

Only thing good about ff9 was it was the last game to have a world map. I bet they gave up on the idea of a world map because of it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Evil Fluffy posted:

"In which game is the character doing specials and not attacking."

Someone never played FFT beyond Chapter 1.

To be fair, going MNK and punching people was disproportionately great, relative to weapons. Chakra was also great, and you needed to go that way to get Geomancer for Ninja anyways.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I can buy that the magical light spear is beyond normal wounds but the whole "valiant hero blocks deadly attack with shield until shield breaks and kills them because they didn't shift their weight to deflect the attack in to the ground next to them" is a really loving stupid trope. He's not blocking some WoL-seeking missile. Shifting slighting and tilting his shield would end up with the spear either striking empty ground next to him or maybe stabbing him off to the side in a way that's less likely to be fatal.

But that wouldn't let them kill off Ishgardian Jon Snow in a heroic fashion so...

Also, it kind of exploded him in the crotchular region. Not sure anyone would want to continue living after that.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

I... actually think that kind of fits Haurchefant, in a sort of morbidly humorous way. The guy was a HUGE fanboy, and he seemed like the sort of dude who was good at desk work and diplomacy but not all that good of a fighter. So he like had a sword and shield and stuff but it was mostly like "oh man check out my armor I look sort of cool like the warrior of light, right?!?!" So I kind of wouldn't expect him to know tactics like deflecting a shot with a shield. He probably was just like "oh gently caress they're about to attack my buddy! wait I've got a shield I CAN SAVE THEM" and didn't really stop to consider the fact that maybe the spear was so powerful that it would go right through his shield. He died showing us how totally cool he looked and how devoted he was to us. :unsmith:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Good thing he died trying to save the immortal people who can resurrect forever.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

The Chairman posted:

This is a perfect example of how terrible the XI combat design team was for the first few years: they gave Samurai a fairly high parry skill and an ability that'd let them ignore one physical attack every 30 seconds or so and figured that would make them sufficiently good tanks, while they gave Ninja a spell that'd let them ignore seven attacks every minute (in a system where enemies attacked once every 6-8 seconds) but expected them to be a support class with all their random debuff ninjutsu.

God drat it, Tanaka. And it's extra funny because SAM's big gimmick was to get a lot of TP and poo poo out weapon skills left and right, which makes it a tank I guess.

Tanaka's ghost will forever haunt us until they get rid of the armory system.

Moldy Taxes posted:

The five races made it in just fine, though.

They did. But they had to change their names and make them harder to pronounce just because.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I hate cutscenes where someone I like dies, right beside my AST or WHM, minutes after I was healing other grievous wounds.

Arguably no, you weren't. A lot of pen and paper RPGs that use hit points explicitly state that they're an abstraction of a variety of things. Luck, stamina expended by dodging otherwise fatal attacks, grazes. The idea tends to be that when you hit 0 HP you are out of stamina and take an either fatal or incapacitating injury. At least some Final Fantasies have subscribed to this by referring to 0 HP party members as KO'd.

Hope this helps your immersion :v:

On a similar note our ability to respawn is almost certainly not canon, just like canonically the Warrior of Light solos poo poo left and right.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 1, 2015

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I choose to hope that our ability to resurrect at an aetheryte is addressed as canon at some point, and it's used as fuel to poo poo on the Ascians as the unspecial jobbers that they are (especially Lahabrea who will always be a scrub)

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Canonically, the Echo works like the Monado visions from Xenoblade, and any wipes are actually just the Echo giving you visions of bad futures.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I just chalk it up to Haedaelyn and/or the echo.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

On a similar note our ability to respawn is almost certainly not canon, just like canonically the Warrior of Light solos poo poo left and right.

If anyone needs evidence of that they need to only look at the Tam-Tara storyline to see how other people view the WoL.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Truga posted:

Trick attack, heavy thrust, etc exist.

I see what you're saying, but those are things that ideally have 100% uptime and aren't affected by others' actions. In contrast, skillchains only happened once in a while, with timing requirements coordinated among group members. Maybe I'm just bullshitting but it feels like a big difference to me. It was neat to set up a three-part Light skillchain/magic burst and blow up a monster that would normally kill your group for chain #5.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gearhead posted:

Yoshida has used Red Mage as an example of a class that does not work with the current paradigm. They're a class that uses some of their own gimmicks, but also uses abilities from three other classes, including a tank class's main hand weapon.

He's talked about going to a system where you start off from the start with a selection of basic classes which teach you their skill trees, then you add these trees, as a whole, together in valid combinations to add up to other Jobs, instead of having everything tied to the weapon you have in your hand.

Like I already said, classes don't have to be 100% exactly like they are in single-player FF. Look at how they combined bard and archer into one class, or how black mages have a spell cycle with unlimited MP. If things were the way you think they'd be with red mage, then scholar would be a dps class that hits enemies with their books, with no pets or healing or damage spells. The weapon thing is a complete non-issue when they could just give red mages their own weapon type, like rapiers.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Captain Oblivious posted:

This happens when you die. I wouldn't kill Odin I guess.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mazed posted:

I choose to hope that our ability to resurrect at an aetheryte is addressed as canon at some point, and it's used as fuel to poo poo on the Ascians as the unspecial jobbers that they are (especially Lahabrea who will always be a scrub)

I guess we'll find out if Minfilia comes running back up at some point saying "I completely forgot my return aetheryte was back in Othard!"

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Fister Roboto posted:

Like I already said, classes don't have to be 100% exactly like they are in single-player FF. Look at how they combined bard and archer into one class, or how black mages have a spell cycle with unlimited MP. If things were the way you think they'd be with red mage, then scholar would be a dps class that hits enemies with their books, with no pets or healing or damage spells. The weapon thing is a complete non-issue when they could just give red mages their own weapon type, like rapiers.

I think something along the lines of Elementalist would probably be neater for a RDM class.

Or hell, DRKs show their magic side of things with a few dark attacks here and there but a lot of it is infused into their standard attacks and such. RDM as some weird Fencer-Mystic Knight thing would be kinda neat.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mazed posted:

The Warrior of Light is undead, and the aetherytes are actually bonfires.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hivac posted:

I think something along the lines of Elementalist would probably be neater for a RDM class.

Or hell, DRKs show their magic side of things with a few dark attacks here and there but a lot of it is infused into their standard attacks and such. RDM as some weird Fencer-Mystic Knight thing would be kinda neat.

Given my experience in FFXI, no red mage actually cared that they buffed or healed or debuffed. They wanted to hit poo poo with their sword. So focusing on a melee mage would be awesome. Especially because drk isn't a dps.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Aetherytes are probably just extensions of Hydaelyn, which is why Crystal Mom can pull you back through them when you're on the brink. It's why the Primal Aetherytes are all purple: they're corrupted by Zodiark.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

The Chairman posted:

I think the problem is actually worse than this. FFXI always felt like the developers didn't recognize that the player base would gravitate towards optimal strategies, and seemed to assume that, especially while leveling, players would behave similar to party members in an single player FF. I think their intention was that people would let aggro bounce around between the melee jobs and nobody would worry about intentionally generating enmity unless a monster went after a mage. So you end up seeing melee gear with +enmity and caster gear with -enmity. Plus you would see things like a piece of artifact armor with only defensive stats for a job people only used for damage. This is also why basically every melee job had abilities that either helped them while being attacked or caused them to generate more enmity.

As far as bringing skillchains to FFXIV, the only way I think they could do it is by giving the limit break system an overhaul and making limit break activation a cooperative activity of some sort. I don't know if that would necessarily be an improvement, and I don't think they're likely to do it right after adding unique LB3 animations for everyone, but if they decided to give that a shot it might be interesting.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
FFXIV Item Market Data Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1U-0e-cjKtIzkXxHlDgY1GznKBf9SP7bFEfmm0hXQP88/edit?usp=sharing

I made this to try and figure out what to collect and make for market profits, but it's taking a little long to fill in all the data so I figured I would share and get everything filled in as a collective.

How to fill in data
Let's use acorn cookie as an example. It is the first item on the meals tab.

NQ Price
What you think the price of a normal quality item would sell
HQ Price
What you think the price of HQ item would sell
Merchant Price / Mob Drop
Ok, I am mostly just doing this for meals and fish so i made this area if I could buy ingredients easily from a merchant (usually less than market). If an ingredient drops from a mob, I can farm it easily. It should be set to 0 if it is easy to scavenge.
Materials Required
I made this 20 items wide. This is not automated but the blue areas below are. Just type in the material name in each box. If you need 4 fire shards like in the acorn cookie, then you will have to put in the fire shard separately in each box.
Cost
Lowest possible price to obtain including free ingredients that can be scavenged.
NQ Profit
NQ price - Cost
HQ Profit
HQ Price - Cost

Scavenge Row
This blue row is automated. Lists the scavenge/merchant price for each ingredient. If it does not have a Scavenge cost, then it uses the NQ cost. Total cost is on the right.
NQ Market Board Row
This blue row is automated. Lists the NQ price likely to be purchased for on the Market Board. Total cost is on the right
HQ Market Board Row
This blue row is automated. Lists the HQ price likely to be purchased on the market board. Total cost is on the right

Important! Please read before use!
In order to get the formulas to work, the information has to be filled out for the ingredients, AND THEN you must select the area from the ingredients name to the HQ market board sum all the way to the right. After that is selected, right click and select "Define Named Range". Now name the range whatever item or ingredient you have selected but replace any spaces with underscores "_". In excel it fills out the name for you. In google it doesn't.

If you are adding data to a new item, it is harder to insert copied data with google spreadsheets. You have to insert empty rows under each item before pasting the data. the scavenge and market board rows have to be copied and inserted underneath. Then take the sums area and copy those to the right. Nothing has to be done to the material area.

Hopefully some people can add to this. Thank you!

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

scholar would be a dps class that hits enemies with their books

You mean they aren't?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Fister Roboto posted:

The Warrior of Light is undead, and the aetherytes are actually bonfires.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

petcarcharodon posted:

You mean they aren't?

No, they're a healer class that hits people with books.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ouhei posted:

FFXIV is not not will it ever be FFXI. So can we please stop wishing/hoping/reminiscing about stuff form that game making it into this one?

Nah.
Actually, no.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tenzarin posted:

This happens when you die. I wouldn't kill Odin I guess.

Don't worry, nobody's killing Odin in 3.0 right now. :supaburn:

Lumis
Jan 10, 2006

I'm either a friend or a foe. Depends on who's looking.

Moldy Taxes posted:

The five races made it in just fine, though.

Galkas didn't. I don't see a tail on those Roegadyns.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
RDMs in this game would function as melee DPS and would probably work more like Mystic Knights with rapiers. I don't think the game quite needs another melee DPS though, when there's only two casters in the game.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Eimi posted:

Given my experience in FFXI, no red mage actually cared that they buffed or healed or debuffed. They wanted to hit poo poo with their sword. So focusing on a melee mage would be awesome. Especially because drk isn't a dps.

Yeah, that's why everyone picked RDM to start with, myself included. Later on we all learned that they sucked at melee and were best suited for healing and throwing Refresh and Haste at people.

It would be cool to swing RDM more toward the Mystic Knight end of things and make them focus on enspells that give their melee attacks different effects.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

this is a good thread

quote:

Assassinate/Mercy stroke has to macro'd to every attack AND most cooldowns also macro into attack buttons, otherwise theres just too many buttons. 12 is the most ill ever button.

And since its a melee class I will want to macro Target Enemy to most of the attacks.

quote:

you cant tell me how to play. the point is there isn't enough macros to make MY ninja

quote:

you have to macro Miserys End and Mercy stroke and Assassinate to ALL of your attacks or youre not gonna be using them properly

theres no time to think about spamming which button if its on all the buttons

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Eej posted:

RDMs in this game would function as melee DPS and would probably work more like Mystic Knights with rapiers. I don't think the game quite needs another melee DPS though, when there's only two casters in the game.

Finding a new caster would be hard, in my limited FF experience. Black mage is already in the FF verse the one size fits all elementalist master mage. We have smn already. Sch was a dps, but is in as a healer. Whm is basically geomancer. What's left?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Just spitballing here, what about a Geomancer class whose spells entirely revolve around ground target AoEs? They could be a mix of support and dps being able to lay down tons of crowd control and poo poo like that. Or is that already too similar to another class?

Plus I think there'd be plenty of room for interesting gear sets since they usually have a goofy outfit.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Eimi posted:

Finding a new caster would be hard, in my limited FF experience. Black mage is already in the FF verse the one size fits all elementalist master mage. We have smn already. Sch was a dps, but is in as a healer. Whm is basically geomancer. What's left?

An Elementalist/Geomancer type class that skill chains along an Elemental wheel, rather than just the Fire/Ice cycle of Black Mage. Classes can easily share elements, as long as they don't share a motif or mechanics.

Give them 6 basic spells, a couple of AoE spells that fall outside, and a bunch of ways to combine them.

Niton fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 1, 2015

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Red mage doesn't get Fire, Blizzard, Thunder, but Flame, Frost, and Fulgur. and Fcure

There problem solved.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Eimi posted:

Calculator :getin:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

A caster from Tales of Graces had their regular attacks be long range, and all their spells were AOEs or column attacks originating on the caster. I thought that was a pretty cool distinction from most mage characters.

Her gimmick was also helped along by spells getting reduced cast times if they were later in combos, so that play-style might be harder to transfer over lacking that. Maybe exchanging having shorter cast times (like 1.5s) so that you have the freedom to reposition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

An Illusionist class that deals with creating illusory clones that cast weakened versions of your spells and has the potential of either going for a ranged spellcaster type or a melee skill comboer.

E: A straight up Beastmaster class that's a blend of Bard and Summoner where you can buff up your beast like hella and make the mad deeps

• Locked thread