Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well in Zelda there's a game that's three players but all of them are male and identical because the prophecy they wrote said they would be boys so that's that. But he can wear a dress and is androgynous anyway so use your imaginations. Also a new Metroid game where they've just gotten rid of Samus entirely in favor of generic nameless male space marine grunts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

ReCore, Wispering Willows, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Fallout 4, The Division, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Assassins Creed Syndicate, Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Off the top of my head.

4 of those aren't new IPs but I appreciate the effort.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Hadaka Apron posted:

Randi Harper has been responsible for loads of harassment and I haven't seen anyone on her side call her out on it.

http://s2b20blog.mukyou.com/the-hidden-face-of-hypocrisy-randi-harper-part-3/

She even yelled at an anti-GG woman whom she thought was too moderate and ran her out of the movement:

Yeah. There're a lot of assholes on both sides, which is one of the reasons why I stay out of it. At the extreme end of both, it just feels like another case of identity politics.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Powercrazy posted:

If you want to restrict your criteria to the worst part of the game industry feel free. I think it sucks and agree it has a problem appealing to anyone but those in the most broad demographics possible.

So you agree that the majority of gaming (as in, the games that the majority of those considered "Gamers" within the console and PC demographics) has a problem with diversity?

quote:

But unlike Hollywood, the game industry is much easier to enter, and so really what the big publishers do is of no consequence to someone who just wants to play games they enjoy, or make games that appeals to a niche audience.

What if the games that people wish to see or play are AAA budget games featuring black protagonists? What if the people who want to see this would like their kids to grow up seeing Cool Black Role Models in their games as well as their movies, and can't convince them to play Le Lolcat Saga 5: The Binding of Dustforce because his peers are playing Call of Shooty 9?

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

computer parts posted:

What do new IPs have to do with anything? Continuing an IP with female characters, or adding a female main character to an existing IP, doesn't seem out of place.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Adventure Pigeon posted:

What do new IPs have to do with anything? Continuing an IP with female characters, or adding a female main character to an existing IP, doesn't seem out of place.

Because it doesn't fit his narrative therefore it doesn't count.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Neurolimal posted:

If you participate you may find out!

If you're concerned about me adding extra requirements then let me put the request in as specific language as possible:

Please list five black protagonists from five AAA-Budget games in the past five years. The qualifier for a protagonist is that this character is the one that the player controls for the majority of the game, and his or her race cannot be changed (i.e not a Sandbox Character Creator creation); this is waived if the customizable character is displayed as black in promotional materials first and foremost. The purpose of this request is to verify the fact that the Games Industry produces diverse games, by displaying that they can at least have one black protagonist in a game per-year. If this standard can not be met then it should not be a controversial statement to then suggest that the Games Industry has a problem with race.

Every player on the cover of a NBA game made in the past 5 years. Also the guys on the covers of 3 out of 5 of the most recent Madden NFL games.

Or do sports games not count, even though they're by far one of the highest selling genres, with sports titles ending up in the top 10 list of most sold games every single year?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Adventure Pigeon posted:

He asked for new IPs. It's okay to shift goalposts, but answering "Tomb Raider" requires you to shift the goal post by almost 2 decades.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

quote:

What if the games that people wish to see or play are AAA budget games featuring black protagonists? What if the people who want to see this would like their kids to grow up seeing Cool Black Role Models in their games as well as their movies, and can't convince them to play Le Lolcat Saga 5: The Binding of Dustforce because his peers are playing Call of Shooty 9?

Sounds like gently caress up priorities as parents. Or more likely a white guilt addled poster speaking for idealized minorities.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

INH5 posted:

Every player on the cover of a NBA game made in the past 5 years. Also the guys on the covers of 3 out of 5 of the most recent Madden NFL games.

Or do sports games not count, even though they're by far one of the highest selling genres, with sports titles ending up in the top 10 list of most sold games every single year?
Not a protagonist from all I know about sports games. You usually control a bunch of guys.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Cingulate posted:

Not a protagonist from all I know about sports games. You usually control a bunch of guys.

If you're playing a licensed NBA game, you're going to be controlling a black guy most of the time no matter what team you pick.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

circ dick soleil posted:

The two gamergate boards on 8chan, /ggrevolt/ and /gamergatehq/, as well as KotakuInAction, are all heavily focused on fighting the forces of SJWs, leftism, liberalism, social marxism and feminism in videogames, terms they use largely interchangeably. Very little of it is actually focused on ethics, and if it is, that ethical focus is expected to take a backseat if it comes in conflict with GamerGate's less-than-ethical goals, lest you become the dreaded ethics-cuck.

Your analogy would make sense if Stormfront was the majority of race discussion on the internet, but it isn't. Without 8chan and KotakuInAction, the websites that you hate, there is nothing left of the GamerGate. It simply ceases to exist.

The useful idiots like Powercrazy and goku im piss who think gamergate is anything but a harassment campaign are practically indistinguishable from the useful idiots who claim the confederate flag is about "heritage not hate." The approaches are nearly identical.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

INH5 posted:

If you're playing a licensed NBA game, you're going to be controlling a black guy most of the time no matter what team you pick.
Still not a protagonist. (It's about narratives.)

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Starving Autist posted:

The useful idiots like Powercrazy and goku im piss who think gamergate is anything but a harassment campaign are practically indistinguishable from the useful idiots who claim the confederate flag is about "heritage not hate." The approaches are nearly identical.

Nice Godwin argument.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

goku im piss posted:

Post where I said that and the context related to it. I said she made a racist statement.

You said this:

goku im piss posted:

Do you have to say "I hate a certain race for what they do" more than once to be considered racist?

She didn't say that she hates a certain race for what they do.

quote:

What else do you infer from her saying hood men. That hood men are a behavior? Can women be hood men?

Read the tweet. She says she hates being catcalled by hood men from cars, not that she hates hood men. This bizarre obtuseness makes you look even worse after being caught lying.

quote:

Point where I said she hated people of a certain race. The exact quote. I said she made a racist statement.

Again:

goku im piss posted:

Do you have to say "I hate a certain race for what they do" more than once to be considered racist?

You can weasel around, but that was in response to me saying:

quote:

Remarks is plural: what has she said since 2010 that's racist?

So you clearly implied that's what she said.

quote:

Then we're just going have to Disagree. I'm not writing a long dissertation about it just to continue a circular argument with you.

You lied about what a multiracial journalist said in a smear on her, implied she hated black people in a really stupid way, did a baffled thing as though the idea of black people using racist language with each other is somehow novel, and just generally acted like a dumbass. No wonder you want to drop it. I've rarely seen someone step on their own dick that hard.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

computer parts posted:

Transistor? Does that count? Red is a female protagonist.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Narciss posted:

Nice Godwin argument.

It isn't an argument, just an observation of objectively verifiable reality.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Cingulate posted:

He asked for new IPs. It's okay to shift goalposts, but answering "Tomb Raider" requires you to shift the goal post by almost 2 decades.

Ah, ok, I didn't see the whole chain of quotes. Yeah, Tomb Raider doesn't really fit that.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

computer parts posted:

The better question would be of the new IPs announced, how many featured women or non-white characters.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Powercrazy posted:

Sounds like gently caress up priorities as parents.

Really? You think it's hosed up priorities for a parent to be worried that their kid might not have many role models that look like him? Are you a parent?

quote:

Collider: At Comic-Con, you talked about how important it was for you to be a part of Guardians of the Galaxy because of your son’s recognition of the lack of diversity in superhero movies. Does that make it extra exciting to be a part of the film and to be working on that now?

DJIMON HOUNSOU: The lack of diversity, specifically in genre films and the superheroes our kids grow up watching and emulating, they can’t really identify with. When you see the same thing, over and over again, and it seems not to speak of you and your heritage and your culture, it leaves you out of this world, a little bit. It gives a certain social distance with your world. So, it was very shocking when my son said that. It shocked me, but at the same time, it was not a surprise. It’s one of those things that even I have been looking for. I’m looking for a hero of my kind, and I’m looking for a shero of my kind. Now, we have Zoe Saldana, who is a shero for minorities, and that’s kind of nice.

Pictured: Djimon Hounsou, a White Guilt addled poster speaking for idealized minorities

It's not like this kind of concern is new in general, let alone Games.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
e:f,b

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Cingulate posted:

No. The "name them" was clearly referring to these NEW IPs (with either minority, or female protagonists).

Either way, now that this is clear: is it hard to think of 5 new IPs with female (or black) protagonists?
FTFY

As I said above, the better question would be: Of the new IPs announced, how many featured women or non-white characters.

50% of games at E3 allowed the player to play as a woman, 9% had exclusively female protagonists, the question was not applicable in 14% of games, and 27% had exclusively male player characters. Not ideal, but not bad either.

Let us English fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 2, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Let us English posted:

50% of games at E3 allowed the player to play as a woman, 9% had exclusively female protagonists, the question was not applicable in 14% of games, and 27% had exclusively male player characters. Not ideal, but not bad either.

Speaking of which, femfreq had a similar set of stats, but one of the comments attached to it confused me a bit.

quote:

These numbers also reflect the fact that a purely binary understanding of gender was on display in the games featured at E3, with no options featured that might allow players to pick from a wider spectrum of gender identities or presentations.

I'm not exactly sure what "a wider spectrum of gender identities" would mean with regards to character creation.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Let us English posted:

Either way, now that this is clear: is it hard to think of 5 new IPs with female (or black) protagonists?

I didn't deny that we're steadily improving (for female protagonists moreso than black protagonists), just that historically the Games Industry has not been very diverse at all (hence the emphasis of "5 black AAA protagonists in 5 years").

quote:

I'm not exactly sure what "a wider spectrum of gender identities" would mean with regards to character creation.

I think you can TLDR this to "Gender Sliders are rad."

It might also be a play at transgendered representation, which is actually a tricky subject and something that I might actually agree with any potential arguments that feminists focused on games are misguided; Transgendered people want to be identified as their gender, not Transgendered Gender, If they've transitioned to the point that they are comfortable in their bodies then they'd identify with the female character, even if the character might not be transgendered.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 2, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Neurolimal posted:

It might also be a play at transgendered representation, which is actually a tricky subject and something that I might actually agree with any potential arguments that feminists focused on games are misguided; Transgendered people want to be identified as their gender, not Transgendered Gender, If they've transitioned to the point that they are comfortable in their bodies then they'd identify with the female character, even if the character might not be transgendered.

Yeah, this is what confused me. To my understanding, transgendered people want to be fully thought of and treated as their gender identity, they don't want to define themselves as something like "woman that has/used to have a penis". I can understand desiring representation of them in games by having developers create stories about them, but I'm not sure about the purpose of it in a character creation system.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Link can wear a dress.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

So if we look at E3, most of the games shown were pre-existing IPs. I'm only going to list the IPs I'm pretty sure are new. There's a reasonable chance I'll miss a few. This is just based off the wikipedia page since finding a comprehensive list is a pain. Some games I list as no indication. I wasn't able to find anything about the gender or race of the protagonist. Many of these are VR games designed with the Oculus Rift in mind, so presumably the character is gender/race neutral, but I suppose we'll have to see if there's a white male stand-in. I'm also limiting it to the ones I read under the major publishers descriptions, as I'm worried I'd miss too many outside those. It's also worth noting that given the hubbub over diversity, developers may choose to emphasize a female or minority MC and simply not say anything if it's a white male MC, so it's possible some of these unknown/no indication games have white male MCs. If I missed any games, or if there's more information on the race and gender of a MC that I didn't add, you should feel free to say something.

ReCore - Female Protagonist
The Last Guardian - Asian male?
For Honor - Mostly male, white. The Samurai is probably Asian.
Horizon: Zero Dawn - Female
Damaged Core - No indication.
BattleCry - Male and female
VR Sports Challenge - No indication
Beyond Eyes - Female
Sea of Thieves - Male or female
Gigantic - You get to be an animal person or something.
Tacoma - No indication. Given the company previously made Gone Home, I would imagine they'd have no issues with a minority or female MC.
Cuphead - You are a cuphead thing.
Firewatch - white male
Genei Ibun Roku ♯FE - Asian male
Project Setsuna - Too early to tell.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Cuphead - You are a cuphead thing.

Finally my people are represented in a game.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Motto posted:

Speaking of which, femfreq had a similar set of stats, but one of the comments attached to it confused me a bit.

Going by the tumblr thread I don't think games are big enough to include the full spectrum of genders.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Powercrazy posted:

Sounds like gently caress up priorities as parents. Or more likely a white guilt addled poster speaking for idealized minorities.

"Blacks don't play videogames" -Powercrazy, TYOOL 2015

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I think a lot of the under representation of women is due to the fact that many of the games being made are pre-existing IPs, including some very old ones, that started out with male characters and have just kept on chugging. That being said, there have been the introduction of female MCs into some of them, Dishonored 2 being a good example. If any group is under represented in gaming, especially given demographics, it's probably blacks and Latinos. There really aren't a lot of minority MCs outside of games where you can pick the character's race and gender. Some of this is due to many games being made in Japan and Korea. Some of this is, again, due to the institutional momentum of old IPs keeping on, some is probably due to assholes thinking that since protagonists have always been white, they might as well keep on keeping on, but it wouldn't surprise me if, oddly enough, some of this is due to developers and publishers being afraid of being labeled as racists. Mishandling a black character could easily backfire in a huge way. I remember how one of the big fiascos of E3 involved the new Deus Ex game's use of the term "mechanical apartheid" to describe one of the themes. Even though this term was coined by a black developer on the Deus Ex team, it was still received very poorly. Combine that with the fact that many AAA title characters are violent assholes that barely qualify as the good guy and you can see how this could turn into a mess that a major publisher wouldn't want to touch. Sooner or later this is an issue that will hopefully be confronted and we'll move on to see games with more diversity, not just for the sake of diversity but because I think it will lead to more interesting characters and stories, but there're hurdles that will have to be overcome that may not seem obvious at first.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Yeah. There're a lot of assholes on both sides, which is one of the reasons why I stay out of it. At the extreme end of both, it just feels like another case of identity politics.

That's pretty much why I follow this in the first place. It's like following the Republican primary, where everyone is horrible.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
https://youtu.be/SMsiixhZ72Q
gently caress you gamergate!

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

this is some poes law poo poo right here

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

What is the purpose of posting this? Who is going to watch this? Can you summarize, please?

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

What is the purpose of posting this? Who is going to watch this? Can you summarize, please?

There is a large amount of assholes and nutcases on both sides that've fed off each other to created two highly polarized and kind of embarrassing movements that probably aren't even sure what they're arguing about anymore.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

1. Just keeping the thread up to date with the latest news on gamergate. 2. Anyone can watch it who pleases. 3. The Summary? Some guy wanted tell gamergate to gently caress a horse.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Adventure Pigeon posted:

There is a large amount of assholes and nutcases on both sides that've fed off each other to created two highly polarized and kind of embarrassing movements that probably aren't even sure what they're arguing about anymore.

See, from the outside, the whole GG thing looks wildly incoherent. Is it about ethics in game journalism? Is it about SJWs daring to say that games are racist and sexist and should be improved? If it's about ethics in game journalism, why are they attacking journalists and not the megastudios that poo poo up games journalism? None of it makes the slightest amount of logical sense.

The other side basically seems to be saying "These assholes are wrong and acting like assholes", and from the outside, it looks totally correct. That people on the 'anti' GG side have done nasty poo poo is almost certainly true, but their complaint, at least, is coherent: GG is nonsense and should go away. That seems to be a pretty understandable argument.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

So in this threads educated opinion, who is "winning" and why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

Adventure Pigeon posted:

I think a lot of the under representation of women is due to the fact that many of the games being made are pre-existing IPs, including some very old ones, that started out with male characters and have just kept on chugging. That being said, there have been the introduction of female MCs into some of them, Dishonored 2 being a good example. If any group is under represented in gaming, especially given demographics, it's probably blacks and Latinos. There really aren't a lot of minority MCs outside of games where you can pick the character's race and gender. Some of this is due to many games being made in Japan and Korea. Some of this is, again, due to the institutional momentum of old IPs keeping on, some is probably due to assholes thinking that since protagonists have always been white, they might as well keep on keeping on, but it wouldn't surprise me if, oddly enough, some of this is due to developers and publishers being afraid of being labeled as racists. Mishandling a black character could easily backfire in a huge way. I remember how one of the big fiascos of E3 involved the new Deus Ex game's use of the term "mechanical apartheid" to describe one of the themes. Even though this term was coined by a black developer on the Deus Ex team, it was still received very poorly. Combine that with the fact that many AAA title characters are violent assholes that barely qualify as the good guy and you can see how this could turn into a mess that a major publisher wouldn't want to touch. Sooner or later this is an issue that will hopefully be confronted and we'll move on to see games with more diversity, not just for the sake of diversity but because I think it will lead to more interesting characters and stories, but there're hurdles that will have to be overcome that may not seem obvious at first.
I'm actually really looking forward to Dishonored 2 because I loved Dishonored and I want to see what happened to Corvo and how that made Emily suddenly take his place. Haven't seen any gameplay footage tho which worries me but we'll see...

Control Volume posted:

So in this threads educated opinion, who is "winning" and why
No one because we'll never see another 2007/2008 in game releases.

• Locked thread