Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Ephphatha posted:

What voice are you using for Kaboom? It really doesn't fit with the rest of the voices we've heard from long war/xcom vanilla.

E: Did the seeker at the end get infected with Acid? It looks like the debuff popped up but I would've thought mechanical units are immune.

They aren't to the best of my knowledge. One of the reasons Chem Grenades are so good is that they do affect stuff like Mechtoids. I think it's that way at least - I remember seeing it on one of Beagle's streams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
Glad to be supporting our boys from the skies, Commander.

I'm sure my nickname has nothing to do with what I will soon be going down in.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Dee Ehm posted:

Glad to be supporting our boys from the skies, Commander.

I'm sure my nickname has nothing to do with what I will soon be going down in.

Look on the bright side - Either you'll be causing them or you'll be one.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Ephphatha posted:

E: Did the seeker at the end get infected with Acid? It looks like the debuff popped up but I would've thought mechanical units are immune.

I believe the rule is that mechanical units can get the debuff but it causes less status degradation. Kind of like a regular soldier who's carrying a medkit.

E:

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

Cyberdisks are a massive pain, yeah. The way I ended up doing that mission - with ballistics - was bringing two rocketeers with rocket/shredder and creeping very, very painfully. I still lost a scout by the end. I ended up having three of the drat cyberdisks, including the jerk that spawns, active, when you poke the doors.

Good to know it can in fact be done, anyway. I may have to bail to a previous save so I can go in with more rockets and make sure the gunners I bring have HEAT/Shredder ammo.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 1, 2015

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Awyeah, bein' the hero! Glad that worked out. And ooh, I get to snipe things for you! One step closer to being a Jaeger!

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Wow, that was quite an engagement. Makes me think that Torchlighter might get a new lease on life dodging plasma in the skies rather than on the ground.

Also, welcome to the crew, Dee Ehm, we're glad to have you, as the squad really needs someone to run our 5e module on Saturdays. Also, makes me think I should stylize my callsign as "Vee Are".

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
Yay I made corporal.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ModeWondershot posted:

Wow, that was quite an engagement. Makes me think that Torchlighter might get a new lease on life dodging plasma in the skies rather than on the ground.

Also, welcome to the crew, Dee Ehm, we're glad to have you, as the squad really needs someone to run our 5e module on Saturdays. Also, makes me think I should stylize my callsign as "Vee Are".

What, Wednesday Apocalypse World isn't good enough?

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Aw man, looks like I'm out. Oh well, I've got reading to catch up on...

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I don't know how much of a hassle it would be, but I'd enjoy seeing a rundown of all the soldiers we have, just like what rank and specialization they are, maybe how many kills/missions etc.

Only if you feel like it, of course.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

megane posted:

I don't know how much of a hassle it would be, but I'd enjoy seeing a rundown of all the soldiers we have, just like what rank and specialization they are, maybe how many kills/missions etc.

Only if you feel like it, of course.

Not a bad idea. If I finish putting together the backlog of videos this weekend I'll do something like that.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Turns out Torchlighter was safer behind the cover up front.

I don't think Seekers should count as flying while choking a guy.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer

Captain Foo posted:

What, Wednesday Apocalypse World isn't good enough?

Don't know if you heard this one, but the rest of the wing kicked me out of that game after I suggested an idea for a module in which the aliens winning was part of the setting. Admittedly it wasn't my best joke, but I guess the party wasn't in the mood.

I'll ask if I can come back after I finish making repairs on the plane, which at this point seems like never.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.

Veloxyll posted:

Normally they don't, but that one approached from off the map, and since no ground below its' actual tile [much like how a guy suppressing through a doorway is 'actually' next to the doorway even if he appears to be standing there] it was flying.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Veloxyll posted:

Turns out Torchlighter was safer behind the cover up front.

I maybe roll the dice too much on my scouts :v:

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

ProfessorBooty posted:

I maybe roll the dice too much on my scouts :v:

I don't really blame you for what happened out there, Prof. Moving down to the low ground had to happen, and I was the best equipped to deal with running overwatches. After, that, there wasn't a good move either way. A lack of cover means that you can't get the rest of the team to engage effectively, and I had to run an overwatch to get Kaboom back to the line. From there, I was providing sight for our long range weapons, which was probably why most everyone came out unscathed except me. I'll take a dice roll and a stay in the hospital over a mission wipe and more casualties in the hospital..Anyone else would probably be dead. :)

edit: If it keeps happening, I vote my nickname change to 'Target'.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 2, 2015

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Oh no worries, I'm not beating myself up over that. Just sucks only having one sergeant scout for a month. If anything this is a sign that if I don't bring shotguns then I will be smitten. The Lord of Shotguns is Love, and I turned my back on her!

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

So congratulations to Torchlighter for winning the 1% lottery. kinda a shame you ate plasma because of it though. :xcom:

Thanks for the videos Commander Booty, they are fun to watch.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

ChaosDragon posted:

Yay I made corporal.

Maybe you can be the new overwatch trigger, then you'll be promoted to incorporeal! :v:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ProfessorBooty posted:

Oh no worries, I'm not beating myself up over that. Just sucks only having one sergeant scout for a month. If anything this is a sign that if I don't bring shotguns then I will be smitten. The Lord of Shotguns is Love, and I turned my back on her!

Shotgun is love, shotgun is life.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Youtube Link

Our second bomb disposal. We had some pretty intense economy of action requirements for this mission, so I spent a lot of time on each move. Because its my goal to keep the tactical side of most missions below 30 minutes, I did a lot of transition cuts to keep things flowing and to remove some banter (I didn't cut out actions/commands given during battle). Let me know if it was a little too much this time.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 3, 2015

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

A shotgun to the face of a Thin Man is the best background gif. It is the only background gif.

Also I'm the first view and it's only in 360p but who cares it has Thin Men dying and that alone makes it worth it.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 3, 2015

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Yami Fenrir posted:

A shotgun to the face of a Thin Man is the best background gif. It is the only background gif.

Also I'm the first view and it's only in 360p but who cares it has Thin Men dying and that alone makes it worth it.

I forgot to upload this video a couple days ago, just finished uploading like 30 minutes ago :downs:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

ProfessorBooty posted:

I forgot to upload this video a couple days ago, just finished uploading like 30 minutes ago :downs:

Don't fret it. Thin Man death is always appreciated, no matter when.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I just got home, saw the gif and knew immediately I was going to enjoy this mission. Can't wait to see how it unfolds.

edit: YES, KILLS FOR THE SHOTGUN GOD. Also sweet revenge.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 3, 2015

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Shotguns for everyone!!!! Especially when used for the purpose of murdering the gently caress out of Thin Men.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Dodging Thin Man reaction shots and killing with 11 crit like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_hRdF0_r-Q

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 4, 2015

Riobs
Oct 30, 2011

Yay a mission with no injuries :). I was super worried after that first activation but pfft why was I worried, squad did good.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I've been playing the new long war Beta gawddamn:

1. hilariously bad luck with activations. I'm beginning to think that all the enemies have intentionally been spawned as close together as loving possible.
2. every enemy shot is a critical.
3. atrociously bad community voice acting. The Australian dude sounds like he's completely chill with getting shot at.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

A White Guy posted:

I've been playing the new long war Beta gawddamn:

I'd rather this not turn into the 'let's all poo poo on Long War thread', there's a thread in Games that's great for that; its hard to tell the difference between talking about mechanics and being a big meany I guess. Bad activations and enemies getting crits every time they take a shot is just bad luck, sorry.

But as far as the voice acting is concerned, there's some hits and misses, that's for sure. I think there's one UK accent and one Australian accent that aren't that great. On the other hand, there's a SE asian and another Australian accent that are pretty awesome. So is the failing on Long War for not having better quality control on free voice actors, or Firaxis for giving soldiers from the UK and Australia 'Generic American Male/Female'?

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 6, 2015

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

ProfessorBooty posted:

I'd rather this not turn into the 'let's all poo poo on Long War thread', there's a thread in Games that's great for that; its hard to tell the difference between talking about mechanics and being a big meany and I guess. Bad activations and enemies getting crits every time they take a shot is just bad luck, sorry.

But as far as the voice acting is concerned, there's some hits and misses, that's for sure. I think there's one UK accent and one Australian accent that aren't that great. On the other hand, there's a SE asian and another Australian accent that are pretty awesome. So is the failing on Long War for not having better quality control on free voice actors, or Firaxis for giving soldiers from the UK and Australia 'Generic American Male/Female'?

I'd say it's on Firaxis, honestly. I mean, they kind of went "Let's have all these nationalities! What do you mean, voice actors? American voices will work fine!" But yes, Long War rage is over there.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

ProfessorBooty posted:

I'd rather this not turn into the 'let's all poo poo on Long War thread', there's a thread in Games that's great for that; its hard to tell the difference between talking about mechanics and being a big meany and I guess. Bad activations and enemies getting crits every time they take a shot is just bad luck, sorry.

Yeah, the first two are pretty manageable ( though i'm seriously beginning to wonder about the 1st one). I've been playing an Ironman Normal game, so the :xcom: factor has been off the loving scales. My absolute favorite moment was somehow activating a sectoid pod from across the map, and then having them hit threesuccessive critical hits from way the gently caress away.

I get that community voice actors ain't exactly gonna be great, but don't replace perfectly ok voice acting with really awful voice acting.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

A White Guy posted:

I get that community voice actors ain't exactly gonna be great, but don't replace perfectly ok voice acting with really awful voice acting.

I understand what you're saying :) There's two approaches to this - you can accept any voice pack given by someone with a unique accent, make sure there isn't anything offensive/inappropriate in the voice pack, run it through the Firaxis voice filters, and add them to the mix, or you can be more subjective on what you put in the mod. I think because the mod is still technically a community beta, the devs go with the first approach and will resolve voice acting issues when other things like features and balanced have been resolved. I think I like the first approach mostly because the majority of the voice packs are pretty great. Kaboom's voice is starting to grate on me when I edit these videos so I think I'll change his (I don't really even notice during gameplay). I'm pretty drat happy with CongoJack, Saffronkit, and Ephphatha/Gridlocked, though.

e: Also, I wouldn't recommend ironman for the first game, mostly because of potential bugs. At the very least go with bronzeman.
e2(hours later): Also, none of the original voice acting was actually replaced.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 6, 2015

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

A White Guy posted:

Yeah, the first two are pretty manageable ( though i'm seriously beginning to wonder about the 1st one). I've been playing an Ironman Normal game, so the :xcom: factor has been off the loving scales. My absolute favorite moment was somehow activating a sectoid pod from across the map, and then having them hit threesuccessive critical hits from way the gently caress away.
I've seen some funky poo poo, but this has a bit of a stdh vibe. Sectoids never get Squadsight, thus are limited to normal shot range, and have 0 base crit; they can only crit with Mind Merge and/or flanking. Tripe crits is only possible with enough sectoids to give out multiple Mind Merges, and/or you had dudes that got flanked. If you had hunkered dudes getting crit by sectoids you couldn't see, you should know that hunker doesn't prevent crits coming from flanking shots.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Corvinus posted:

I've seen some funky poo poo, but this has a bit of a stdh vibe. Sectoids never get Squadsight, thus are limited to normal shot range, and have 0 base crit; they can only crit with Mind Merge and/or flanking. Tripe crits is only possible with enough sectoids to give out multiple Mind Merges, and/or you had dudes that got flanked. If you had hunkered dudes getting crit by sectoids you couldn't see, you should know that hunker doesn't prevent crits coming from flanking shots.

:allears: I wish it was stdh, but during that very same mission, I had a rookie miss a 93% shot flank shot, I literally hit all the pods at the same time, and my Lt. gunner decided to panic because a muton did an intimidate.I wanted to cry.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

A White Guy posted:

:allears: I wish it was stdh, but during that very same mission, I had a rookie miss a 93% shot flank shot, I literally hit all the pods at the same time, and my Lt. gunner decided to panic because a muton did an intimidate.I wanted to cry.

Welp, you'll like tomorrow's episode.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Youtube Link

Thread title in UFO form! Also, unoptimized squads and a lesson in speaking too soon.

Perk Talk

drat Good Ground vs. Ranger vs. Sharpshooter(Snipers)

drat good ground gives +10 aim and +10 defense against enemies at lower ground. Ranger gives +1 damage, Sharpshooter gives +10 aim against enemies in full cover, and +10 crit chance against anybody.

I take drat Good Ground on my disabling shot snipers (what I refer to as 'urban snipers'). This means they can safely take roof low cover without much fear of getting hit or even shot at.

Ranger goes to the 'kill everything monster' snipers, changes to later perks from vanilla means more damage for these snipers is ridiculously important.

Sharpshooter goes to the one-shot-wonder snipers. Its a great perk and often overlooked. Sharpshooter means enemies in high cover or with low profile may as well be in low cover.

New Stuff

Genetics Lab

The function of the Genetics lab hasn't changed much from vanilla. Gene mods have underwent a change. For example, there is no longer mimetic skin (this is replaced by an ability later on). Most gene mods are reasonably cheap but can get expensive with time, and unfortunately we just don't have much meld, so the priority is going to be saving meld for research and development. Just another case of having to lean on our troops so we can take care of strategic priorities. Also, gene mods add fatigue (usually along the lines of +6 hours, but it stacks up).

Bad Guy Showcase

Cyberdiscs

These guys are early-game monsters. Their 'closed' hardened bonus works the same as vanilla. They're weak against HEAT, disabling shot, easily confused by suppression, and fly. Later on they get more DR, and seriously frightening perks like Shock Absorbent Armor (+33% DR against guys within 4 tiles) which renders shotguns all but useless at close range.

I find its best to fight cyberdiscs in an open environment. Because they like flying up high in indoor corners they can easily put themselves in a place where they can see your guys but you have no chance of seeing them unless you put your soldiers in tactically unsound positions. I'll sometimes go as far as pulling all my soldiers back as far as possible just to get the cyberdisc in the open. They can be frightening troops in the early game and one of the reasons why I try to get at least 5 gunners with HEAT ammo relatively early.

If it wasn't for the multi-pod activation we wouldn't have had a problem against these guys, not to mention our first encounter with cyberdiscs involved two of the jerks. Unfortunately we lost the war of attrition and that's XCOM.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Wow, that was painful to watch! :xcom: in a nutshell, I guess. Also, as a side note, Kaboom's voice is actually starting to grate on my ears as well, the more I listen to it. It's part the quality (or lack of it) and part that it just sounds so out of place to the others, I think.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Yami Fenrir posted:

Wow, that was painful to watch! :xcom: in a nutshell, I guess. Also, as a side note, Kaboom's voice is actually starting to grate on my ears as well, the more I listen to it. It's part the quality (or lack of it) and part that it just sounds so out of place to the others, I think.

Yeah. Sounds like the guy did his recording in a glass jar. I'm going to do some roster maintenance this week and one of the things I'll do is change some of the voices.

We didn't lose anybody extremely important, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

:stare: That was really peak X-Com. Good job soldering on with the stakes raised against you.

• Locked thread