Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

reminder] that this OS is ~3 weeks away from rtm

4 different context menu styles on the same desktop

i'm guessing this is from the tray icon, but apps can put whatever custom menu style down there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
so is like windows 10 going to get pushed out to people like a normal windows update? i honestly dont know

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

only if you reserved

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
My bootloader is hosed up and I want to format and reinstall windows in that ssd. I reserved my copy, will I be able to make a bootable USB key?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i think they said you can get an ISO so yeah

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shadow puppet of a posted:

build 10158 lasted a day before they had to emergen-push 10159 to the fast ring

i hear they added a 6th and 7th style of context menu to the main desktop ui

did they update the "Windows Codename Nadir" branding

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Smythe posted:

My bootloader is hosed up

lol. grub. owned

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

anthonypants posted:

i'm guessing this is from the tray icon, but apps can put whatever custom menu style down there

its the desktop

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
we are all going to die

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

graph posted:

lol. grub. owned

rub a dub dub
roofle owned grub

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Cocoa Crispies posted:

rub a dub dub
roofle owned grub

:coal:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

keep going im in the edge

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shaggar posted:

no any of the ones written in modern engines like unreal 3 are running native in opengl and its just that osx is really slow and garbage. its not meant to be used for people who want things to happen quickly.

nope, mostly they're also ported with a WINE wrapper

windows GPU drivers usually have extensive logic to detect various engines' and even individual games' render pipelines and then replace them outright with optimized pipelines

this work is only usually done in the windows drivers, so on OS X and Linux the GPU just has to deal directly with whatever terrible diarrhea james the engine/game developer decided to point in its direction

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

theultimo posted:

This is the program forr nuclear strikes:

my drives that could read that thing are now part of some UN mission to rescue data in Africa

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Stux posted:

all of this posting ignoring the fact that if your playing video games on a computer rather than a console it means you;re a loving idiot nerd that no 1 wants to associate with and should just buy a ps4 like a regular human being.

yeah i am going to run some blurry games on a lovely hardware games console lmao, consoles are dead quality wise.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Celexi posted:

yeah i am going to run some blurry games on a lovely hardware games console lmao, consoles are dead quality wise.

with how badly game devs have been phoning it in lately the ps4 version is often the better one just because the pc version is that hosed, although hopefully steam's harsh (for publishers) return policy will hopefully get them to unfuck their pc versions properly

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
lol if you care about dumb AAA console games like Batman. Much better PC exclusives out there.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

Much better PC exclusives out there.

like the game in your av :ironicat:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

4 weeks until meltdown

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Good news! Windows 8.1 just hit over 12% market share, beating out XP!

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0&qptimeframe=M&qpsp=197

(users of osx are 1/3 of a discontinued operating system)

theultimo fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 2, 2015

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

For some reason 10159 refused to get going on my VM despite the account in question being connected a Microsoft account. Had to create a new user with the Microsoft account, give it local admin rights, and re-sign up for the insider program. I had gotten up to 10158 before without issue, not sure what was so special now

27 days to shipping!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

like the game in your av :ironicat:

Measured by the high standards of PC gamers, pretty much all console games running on PSbone are "terrible ports": Low framerates (20-30 FPS, if you're lucky), extreme load times, slow patch release cycles due to onerous certification processes. In addition, console toy gaming experiences are exceedingly expensive due to the closed nature of these systems.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
lol if you think cert gets in the way of any of these releases now.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

rolling release from july 29th to august 1st woo

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

my 30th birthday is a depressing enough occasion as it is

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

windows 10 enterprise release date confirmed as being AFTER ga (august 1st), for gently caress's sake

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Mr Dog posted:

my 30th birthday is a depressing enough occasion as it is
every operating system and computer ever comes in for a HUGE party

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
*fat stupid reject with a big sloppy gut hanging out of his GAP polo shirt* i love consoles. i cant aim well nor can i type. precision is for faggots, speaking of faggots - bruce? would you come in here, im ready to suck yuou off again in between my rounds of a platformer designed from children or the mentally infirmed, or a shooter with built-in autoaim becuase the input methods are so fail.

*clean cut, trim, perfectly manicured PC gamer in a banana republic polo sits upright at his immaculate desk. a 10keyless mechaincal; keyboard with cherry blue switches for precision typing and gaming echoes through his cavernous home, easily acquired due to his towering intellect allowing him to traverse the corporate ladder with ease and grace* I've been honing my skills for years. In the world of PC Gaming, the skill ceiling is unattainable by any save for only the most elite of gamers. Nonetheless I strive for perfection. Every round I concentrate on doing the best I possibly can. I don't have time to screw around with low-rent games for youths and my inferiors.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
normal man: I bough an Xbox and spent friday night Twitch streaming myself incorrectly installing the Halo collection to laugh with my online friends over how long the patching process takes.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Smythe posted:

*fat stupid reject with a big sloppy gut hanging out of his GAP polo shirt* i love consoles. i cant aim well nor can i type. precision is for faggots, speaking of faggots - bruce? would you come in here, im ready to suck yuou off again in between my rounds of a platformer designed from children or the mentally infirmed, or a shooter with built-in autoaim becuase the input methods are so fail.

*clean cut, trim, perfectly manicured PC gamer in a banana republic polo sits upright at his immaculate desk. a 10keyless mechaincal; keyboard with cherry blue switches for precision typing and gaming echoes through his cavernous home, easily acquired due to his towering intellect allowing him to traverse the corporate ladder with ease and grace* I've been honing my skills for years. In the world of PC Gaming, the skill ceiling is unattainable by any save for only the most elite of gamers. Nonetheless I strive for perfection. Every round I concentrate on doing the best I possibly can. I don't have time to screw around with low-rent games for youths and my inferiors.

what if microsoft made dota

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Squeezy Farm posted:

normal man: I bough an Xbox and spent friday night Twitch streaming myself incorrectly installing the Halo collection to laugh with my online friends over how long the patching process takes.

how do you incorrectly install a console game?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
Batman framerate is more or less around 30 fps on a 750 ti, a low budget card that is on par with the PS4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzvjjdXzyVs so besides rain effects it's the same poo poo.
It seems that yet again console users argument against the master race are just ramblings made by peasants confused by our high standards :lol::lol::lol:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

eric posted:

apparently the patch download slows down if you're on the screen with the progress bar somehow

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Celexi posted:

yeah i am going to run a windows machine for literallyt anything lmao

program666 posted:

Batman framerate is more or less around 30 fps on a 750 ti, a low budget card that is on par with the PS4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzvjjdXzyVs so besides rain effects it's the same poo poo.
It seems that yet again console users argument against the master race are just ramblings made by peasants confused by our high standards :lol::lol::lol:

batman framerate is 0 because it doesnt work and isnt available on pc

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lol actually from ur own video:

quote:

So what about perf? Well, a Core i3/750 Ti system doesn't cut it. We get *a lot* of stutter, so we overclocked the 750 Ti with +200MHz to the core and +400MHz to RAM. It only made a small difference, suggesting a CPU, VRAM (or both) bottleneck.

Next up, an i5 with a GTX 960 (still 2GB - ideally Arkham Knight in its current form prefers 3GB+ at 1080p and this is ESSENTIAL if you have an AMD card and want to run with normal textures). With the 30fps cap, we had 50 per cent GPU utilisation so we stacked up GameWorks enhanced light-shafts and rain. Smoke and extra paper is an option, but it kicks in a weird DX10 codebase that kills adaptive v-sync so that's off the table.

Performance still wobbles, but it's at least on par with PS4 and there is a tiny amount of extra bling from the enhanced light-shafts and rain.

hahahah pc is so bad lmao, you have to spend a bit more than a ps4 on jus the cpu and gpu, let alone the entire rest of the computer, for a game that doesnt work and isnt in stores anymore. windows is trash

eric posted:

the xbox runs windows,,,

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

univbee posted:

apparently the patch download slows down if you're on the screen with the progress bar somehow

lol wasn't there some poster who was going apeshit over you doing this in twitch chat

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

blah blah my batman game stutters who gives a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

carry on then posted:

lol wasn't there some poster who was going apeshit over you doing this in twitch chat

yeah, ethanol

• Locked thread