Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

DLTN posted:

for real though exchanging weapons from enemies in cs:go has a solid gameplay purpose, i'm not entirely certain why they're adding it to tf2 other than "because cs:go has it"

Well, depending on how the picked weapon's state is handled (loaded/unloaded, how much ammo in general) it could be a legit interesting gamechanger, maybe even in a good way.

Of course, in true Valve fashion, they forget about mediguns and dropping an uber means the other team has two now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
No more of this :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLUnbxPBxgQ

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Well, the comic was neat and reminded me that they are still "owing" us the next/final(?) chapter of their ongoing one. Dead sniper, TFC team moving about, etc. That's going to be fun.

The new event? Much like that duck bullshit a while ago I couldn't care less how my scattergun or whatever looks. Here's the the thing: hats? You can see them from afar and they actually make a difference in making your character distinctive. Slightly differently colored gun? Not really. Especially when we already had golden guns and guns with robot skulls attached -- those can actually be seen from afar.

Balance update? As usual some good stuff in there along with a bunch of terrible, misguided ideas more for the sake of making the TF2 "team" look like they are doing something when filling up an internal report saying what they have spent the last 120 days working on than anything else.

Source engine? Still completely hosed up. All the previous bugs will continue to be there, piled up top of new stuff like weapon picking. Now a Pyro will be shown carrying three different flamethrowers at the same time, hurray!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Just out of interest, was a single one of these balance changes tried in the Official TF2 Beta?

See, that's kind of my point when I say Valve is absolutely retarded.

Serious question time: If I spend 6$ on the campaign tour, what are my chances of getting my $$$ back via weapon / crate selling? With the MvM campaign as a point of comparison, I guess.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Xander77 posted:

Serious question time: If I spend 6$ on the campaign tour, what are my chances of getting my $$$ back via weapon / crate selling? With the MvM campaign as a point of comparison, I guess.

Going by similar campaigns in CS:GO, if you buy the campaign the moment it goes live and play missions and get drops and sell them immediately, there is a very good chance you'll make your money back, plus some extra. The longer you take doing this, the less you will get.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Is this update good or bad? I don't know.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CJacobs posted:

Hopefully they come up with weapon skins that don't look like poo poo, which they have consistently failed at in CS GO for like 3 straight years.
A friend of mine made this CSGO skin and it rules and is also really clever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2X8WRHV0_U

More creative stuff like this instead of "lol the patterns are RANDOMIZED AND UNIQUE JUST 4 U which means we can't have any cohesion or sense to the designs!" please

Scyantific posted:

I want to laugh at anyone still defending/playing this game seriously but then I remember that I spent nearly 5 years of my life doing the same thing.

I am so sorry that Valve took the only fun shooty mans game in town and turned it into a clusterfuck of cosmetic garbage/beta testing wasteland/bad gameplay balance.
Wait I'm not defending the cosmetic nonsense they just pulled with ridiculous gaudy teal lightning bolt weapons but if you don't care about the game anymore, why are you even reading the thread

wayne curr posted:

guys
There's a rare chance of unboxing unusual weaps.
As in the weapons have an unusual effect making GBS threads out from them :negative:

This seems cool though, if the effects are stuff like "blazing red barrel" from firing too much, and such.

The moment the gun has a storm cloud hovering above it is the crossed line, though

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Slime posted:

Is this update good or bad? I don't know.
It's both.

THE GOOD:
Balance shake-up
New maps in a form where 99% of servers will actually play them
New and exciting ways to express my videogame merc dolly's individuality
Cardboard box taunt!!!

THE BAD:
Balance shake-up (depending on which classes you love and hate)
Some hilariously gaudy weapon skins
Reddit will never, ever, ever shut the gently caress up about getting Snowplow into the game
I'll have to update FrankenHUD for the first time in like a year and god I hate VGUI script so much

THE DUBIOUS AND UNJUDGED:
Filching weapons off the corpses of your victims

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I only used the pretty boy because of no fall damage and was always afraid that they'd nerf it too hard and now they have and I have to actually switch to it to not take fall damage.

My one dream change is them moving that passive over to the Winger where it makes sense so I can stop using the pretty boy forever.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
They should probably have named this the Wouldn't You Rather Be Playing CS:GO? Update.

Some of the balance stuff looks interesting, in much the same way you occasionally roll snake eyes on a pair of dice. Mostly, it looks like they pulled the stats for weapon use and tried to find ways to pressure people into using weapons they didn't like, either by making them better or making the more popular stuff worse.

I'm not a no-hat snob, but those skins are hideous; a spy with a neon green camera beard and a hot pink sweater on has nothing on those things.

I'll have fun screwing with all the changes for a day or two, and maybe they won't result in as much frustration as I suspect. But if all they can offer me to spend money on this game is paintball guns and achievements you pay for, I'll pass.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty ambivalent about this update, but I enjoyed reading the comic as usual. TF2 should just be a multimedia sitcom.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Whether I think this is a good update or not at this point is based entirely on how much bonus knockback you actually get with the scorch shot now.

If I can rocket people around the map with it all is forgiven.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!
With the new weapon pickup system, hopefully dropping an uber will be literal. That's probably way too much to hope for though. I think I'm going to like basically all of the balance changes except for the black box nerf and snipers not being able to 1-hit kill overhealed heavies with natascha. The vaccinator finally being fixed, engineers getting a bunch of their super low skill/high reward items nerfed and never headshotting a soldier and then no-scoping him for 45 damage again has me looking forward to this update way more than any in the past few years.

It's a shame that Valve now knows exactly which weapon skins will be sought after and can release the least desirable ones first and slowly build up to the ones people actually like though. That PDF that was linked with all the talk about the weapon skins compared with the ones they have shown for this release looks like they're doing exactly that. Lots of camo and multi-colored guns, very few single-color-with-black-accents guns, and nothing shiny.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

The Kins posted:

It's both.

THE GOOD:
Balance shake-up
New maps in a form where 99% of servers will actually play them
New and exciting ways to express my videogame merc dolly's individuality
Cardboard box taunt!!!

THE BAD:
Balance shake-up (depending on which classes you love and hate)
Some hilariously gaudy weapon skins
Reddit will never, ever, ever shut the gently caress up about getting Snowplow into the game
I'll have to update FrankenHUD for the first time in like a year and god I hate VGUI script so much

THE DUBIOUS AND UNJUDGED:
Filching weapons off the corpses of your victims

I think the biggest upside to this is the huge influx of money into the tf2 system which will keep the game being maintained. Watching how crazy people go over cs skins it is utterly insane.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

pgroce posted:

Mostly, it looks like they pulled the stats for weapon use and tried to find ways to pressure people into using weapons they didn't like, either by making them better or making the more popular stuff worse.

That... sounds like a very solid approach to balance, though?

I'm having a hard time getting riled up by any of the balance changes. The only one that sounds outright negative for the game is the buff (!) to the Tide Turner. It does sound like the Vaccinator might have been nerfed into uselessness, but I'm not shedding any tears.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
the problem i immediately see with the "lets port over csgo's weapon cosmetic system" idea is this:

like Hales Own Factory New Killstreak Diamond Rocket Launcher Mk. II will be worth something. just, you know, not as much as you'd think.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Maybe this will draw those hundreds of thousands of players back, called by the irresistible siren song of tie die weaponry.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)

quote:

Vaccinator

Fixed a bug that gave Vaccinator patients full crit immunity.
Vaccinator base resist does not grant any crit resistance.
Vaccinator Uber deploys now always take exactly 1 bar of Uber charge.
Vaccinator Uber deploys give the patient a 2.5 second bubble of 75% damage resistance of the current resist type and full crit resistance to that type. These bubbles do not disappear if the medic stops targeting the current patient. Multiple bubbles of different types can be applied to the same patient or multiple patients given the same resist uber each consuming 1 charge.
Vaccinator uber build now suffers the same penalties as other mediguns when it comes to multiple medics on the same target and max overhealed patients.
Decreased the bonus healing a Medic received for properly selecting the right damage resistance type from 25% of incoming damage to 10% of incoming damage
Added Penalty of 66% decreased uber build rate while healing a overhealed patient

Oh boy, a tiny buff to the mini-ubers while making everything else worse. The Vaccinator had literal headshot immunity for 2 years and still nobody used it except me. It should be fun now. :suicide:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Magypsy posted:

Oh boy, a tiny buff to the mini-ubers while making everything else worse. The Vaccinator had literal headshot immunity for 2 years and still nobody used it except me. It should be fun now. :suicide:

As some one that never plays medic I have to say I still don't understand how the Vaccinator works and when I should be attacking and when I shouldn't etc.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

Jippa posted:

As some one that never plays medic I have to say I still don't understand how the Vaccinator works and when I should be attacking and when I shouldn't etc.

You should be using it when fighting one or two enemies using the same damage type. A Heavy and a Demoman fighting you at the same time will overpower you no matter which resistance you're using.

It's the hardest weapon to use in the game, and when you do use it right it's worse than every other medigun if the other team is actually using teamwork. It's a terrible weapon, and on paper this looks like a giant nerf.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

It's not so much a giant nerf as it is fixing a bug that was literally the only reason to ever use the vaccinator.

Like it's complete garbage and the only thing it was good for was if the other team had a good sniper you could make his headshots do 11 damage and I guess maybe also if they had a phlog pyro and your team was unclear on the concept of shooting him with bullets as he waddled towards them. But that was a bug, apparently, and so now it's gone from being marginally useful in a couple of specific situations to there being absolutely no scenario in which you wouldn't rather have any other medigun.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

The indignities that await me :ohdear:

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

It's not so much a giant nerf as it is fixing a bug that was literally the only reason to ever use the vaccinator.

Like it's complete garbage and the only thing it was good for was if the other team had a good sniper you could make his headshots do 11 damage and I guess maybe also if they had a phlog pyro and your team was unclear on the concept of shooting him with bullets as he waddled towards them. But that was a bug, apparently, and so now it's gone from being marginally useful in a couple of specific situations to there being absolutely no scenario in which you wouldn't rather have any other medigun.

Not just that, but it used to build uber at the maximum rate all the time, not only does it work like the other 3 mediguns now, but it actually builds 66% slower when healing an overhealed patient. The self-healing when resisting damage has also been reduced from 25% to 10%. It still overheals 66% slower so it's poo poo at trying to keep a group topped up. It's just got so many downsides there's no point in using it over anything else now.

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

I'm still waiting in the Goon vs Machine group 2 years later waiting for more MvM maps.

:smithicide:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Being able to hand out a couple seconds of headshot immunity or no-sell an entire Kritz charge could still have some corner uses, except now it's complete poo poo at building uber. Also, it's unclear if the medic gets any protection from the mini-uber anymore.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

Being able to hand out a couple seconds of headshot immunity or no-sell an entire Kritz charge could still have some corner uses, except now it's complete poo poo at building uber. Also, it's unclear if the medic gets any protection from the mini-uber anymore.

I hadn't even thought of that, oh my god. Surely they wouldn't let the Medic go unprotected. Surely. :smith:

AxisofIdiocy
Mar 5, 2009

What do you mean this
isn't the ketchup?

quote:

Spy no longer smacks himself in the face while reloading a revolver (New Spy revolver reload animation that does not block cross hair

I'm sold.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

As a dirty casual who didn't even know a Soldier could knock fallen weapons around, I'm just pumped that the Air Strike looks usable now. I always liked the idea of raining a barrage of rockets down on dudes from my perch in the sky, and now the penalties aren't so awful that the gun is useless even with a huge clip!

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
I havent played TF2 in almost a year and I played today and just wanted to report from the distant past that the following is still true...
  • People still play on nucleus because they don't know how to vote.
  • Votes for good maps always fail because see above.
  • Pyros and Heavies still blame Medics for "not healing the front line" if you heal people actually capping the point instead of holding hands with said individual and skipping beside them into a meat grinder.
...And has pissed me off...
  • The Loch-n-Load can't one-shot light classes anymore? How is that a balance decision if the Direct Hit can still vaporize anything that scares you around a corner and the Huntsman can still... uh... exist at all?
...and these drastic-but-slow-enough-you-wouldn't-notice-them changes have also stood out to me...
  • All the servers I used to love have shut down, with the exception of the gimmick ones like 24/7 Randomizer.
  • All obsessive and/or pedophilic player names and avatars relating to ponies have been replaced with obsessive and/or pedophilic player names and avatars relating to Splatoon.

Has anything else changed since 2014 that I should know about?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Orange Harrison posted:

• The Loch-n-Load can't one-shot light classes anymore? How is that a balance decision if the Direct Hit can still vaporize anything that scares you around a corner and the Huntsman can still... uh... exist at all?

The Loch no longer does extra damage either as of this patch. The Direct Hit still does, though, because balance doesn't apply to soldier.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I wanna wring the neck of whoever's idea it was to change the loch n load in the first place

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
So the only thing the LnL has going for it right now is faster projectiles and bonus destruction damage?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

cock hero flux posted:

The Loch no longer does extra damage either as of this patch. The Direct Hit still does, though, because balance doesn't apply to soldier.

Damage falloff does, which is why he gets away with it.

notZaar posted:

So the only thing the LnL has going for it right now is faster projectiles and bonus destruction damage?

The original Liberty Launcher was also -25% clip and "only" +amillion% projectile speed, and it was so obnoxious it got nerfed. The demo will probably get away with it because you can't just aim in someone's general direction and get guaranteed damage.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The LnL and DH are incomparable because of the other tools both classes have available.

A LnL demo really gives up nothing, he's a straight up murder machine. A DH soldier can really only instagib low hp classes or wreck dudes on airshots.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

The direct hit just isn't used at all though which suggests it's very situational and not over powered. In my experience of using it you get the occasional youtube highlight style frag and then miss a load of easy kills that you would have got with the stock or the black box.

The loch and load is used by pretty much 80-90% of demos on pubs.

e- beaten

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jippa posted:

The loch and load is used by pretty much 80-90% of demos on pubs.

Fuuuuuuck LnL + tide turner. Most infuriating gimmick loadout ever because there's jack poo poo you can do about it if they're any good.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

It says a lot about how soldier is balanced when you can say "okay, sure, it can instagib light classes and kill basically anyone in a couple of shots but it's still not actually good compared to his other weapons".

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

xzzy posted:

The LnL and DH are incomparable because of the other tools both classes have available.

A LnL demo really gives up nothing, he's a straight up murder machine. A DH soldier can really only instagib low hp classes or wreck dudes on airshots.

Giving up rollers is not insignificant.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

xzzy posted:

Fuuuuuuck LnL + tide turner. Most infuriating gimmick loadout ever because there's jack poo poo you can do about it if they're any good.

The worst. Just sucks the fun out of playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
DH has harder to hit shots compared to stock and decreases your effective range; LnL has easier to hit shots compared to stock and increases your effective range.

• Locked thread