Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

odinson posted:

Quick rules question.
The DM's at my FLGS make us roll on ability checks at disadvantage if we are not proficient. This mostly occurs on knowledge checks, but not on perception or stealth checks. Is this not incorrect?

Surely by not being proficient you miss out on bonuses, why would you also get another -4 from disadvantage?

P.S. I don't know the rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Harrow posted:

A level 1 monster with a save-or-die? What the hell. Why.

It's a first level character. In this edition it'd take you out of the game for like, a minute, tops.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
My DM does something really similar, where he'll just throw Disadvantage at you for practically anything that you do that you might have, well, any kind of disadvantage on the attempt, rather than just applying a penalty to the roll or denying your bonus. And for the weirdest things, too. No, DM, I know you're the impartial arbiter of the rules and all but the rogue does not have to take a Disadvantage to his roll to attack that monster just because it's in melee range of the (prone, unconcious) ranger. There isn't even a penalty for doing that!

Taking an already needlessly convoluted and frustratingly vague system of rules and then also using them wrong doesn't make things any better!

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

odinson posted:

Quick rules question.
The DM's at my FLGS make us roll on ability checks at disadvantage if we are not proficient. This mostly occurs on knowledge checks, but not on perception or stealth checks. Is this not incorrect?

Proficiency has nothing to do with advantage/disadvantage, however:

PHB pg 173 posted:

The DM can decide that circumstances influence a roll in one direction or the other and grant advantage or impose disadvantage as a result.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tunicate posted:

It's a first level character. In this edition it'd take you out of the game for like, a minute, tops.

Well, sure, but all it's going to lead to is players going all, "Well, my carefully thought-out character, Margnax the Wizard, is dead. I will now proceed to join the campaign as his brother, Jargnax the Wizard."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Harrow posted:

Well, sure, but all it's going to lead to is players going all, "Well, my carefully thought-out character, Margnax the Wizard, is dead. I will now proceed to join the campaign as his brother, Jargnax the Wizard."

Exactly. Your little chess piece only deserves to get a real name and background after he's a proven survivor.

EDIT: At low levels, this would be a well-executed random encounter

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 2, 2015

Solid Jake
Oct 18, 2012

Harrow posted:

My second character would be the REAL Margnax the Wizard--that first guy must have an incompetent imposter.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Harrow posted:

Don't forget, back in those days you would also be randomly rolling your stats, so there was no guarantee your next character would qualify to be a magic-user.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

odinson posted:

The DM's at my FLGS make us roll on ability checks at disadvantage if we are not proficient.

It certainly never tells the DM to do that anywhere in the rulebook.

Which doesn't matter, because since you asked your DM and they told you, it is now you who are wrong.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Harrow posted:

All poison that wasn't paralytic was fatal in earlier versions, anyway.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I thought Disadvantage was a good idea but it can be an incredibly feel-bad mechanic, especially when you roll a 20 on one die.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Lightning Lord posted:

I thought Disadvantage was a good idea but it can be an incredibly feel-bad mechanic, especially when you roll a 20 on one die.

Hence why everyone should take the lucky feat! :v: Go on and take that random shot underwater with your eyes closed, you'll probably hit!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lightning Lord posted:

A bunch of people pointed this out back when Next was an "open playtest"...the combination of Advantage/Disadvantage and "flat math" meant that it was increasingly likely that everything players did was going to revolve around finding ways to avoid/mitigate Disadvantage and chase Advantage because mathematically Dis/Advantage breaks down to something like a -/+5 on a roll, and there's not a lot of middle ground since the designers were keen to promote it as the only modifier you'd ever need.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Mecha Gojira posted:

I had a level 3 Barbarian get eaten by a CR 6 Roper in an official published adventure because he didn't check to see if there was a lever behind the kobolds he had just decapitated.

A fighter was also eaten by a Roper that day.
The best way as a barbarian to deal with ropers is just run a straight line and use lucky on your dex saves.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

And finally Room 7 also contains Green Slime:
I did an all slime and mold dungeon that culminated in a fight with the doppleganger plant; the most dangerous monster I have ever used. It is a challenge to make the mold and spore traps work, it needs context. Cure disease (see the expert set) cracks me up, it does everything from stopping you from becoming slime to reverting a mold-zombie.

Harrow posted:

At level one, a d12 damage die is a save or die.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 2, 2015

odinson
Mar 17, 2009

Generic Octopus posted:

Proficiency has nothing to do with advantage/disadvantage, however:

Thanks Generic Octopus and all the others that responded. It doesn't come up that frequently so I haven't bothered to double check until now. My current DM may have been using some of that p.173 DM Fiat. My previous one called for DAdv. frequently enough that I'm pretty sure he just misunderstood the rules.

The difference between them is coincidentally similar to the two different play/DM styles that were just mentioned (Ooze falls on you and deal with it vs. shrug it off, roll initiative). Old DM once started out the night with "Are you all ready to die?"( I believe right before Castle Naerytar-hotdq) Another time seemed to brag/gloat a bit after one encounter in a swamp in which we were in canoes. We were attacked by alligators/crocs mid short rest. I had cast Alarm before hand and questioned why I wasn't alerted, but "because I wasn't specific" the 20' Cube's bottom end was @ water/canoe level. He kinda gave me a chance to retcon it, but I figured the fight was inevitable so I said to forget it. After they were defeated he said something along the lines of "Well, I could have just had the gators flip the canoes over and lay on top of them so you would drown to death."

My current DM is much better and doesn't have that antagonistic "me vs. the party" mentality that the first seemed to have on occasion. He's pretty chill and knowledgeable

Hats off to Alpha Dog an ADporp's comments. Got a good laugh outta those.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

odinson posted:

Quick rules question.

Your DM is incorrect. To make an ability check, roll d20+ability score modifier.

If you are proficient, also add your proficiency bonus.

If you are not proficient, then nothing more is added.

Advantage and Disadvantage, when they aren't specifically called for in the rules, is supposed to be a situational modifier.

If you're making an Arcana check and you're not proficient in Arcana, then it's a d20+INT. Disadvantage would be something like if you're trying to decipher the runes on a tome while gale force winds are blowing against the pages.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Thinking about the swingyness of using 1d20 for things; how would 3d20 and take the middle result for a normal roll work?

I think Advantage and Disadvantage should still use 2d20 take best/worst or their effects are really magnified.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Please don't start making attack rolls as ridiculous as rolling for stats. I don't want to hear about people's "elegant" houserules where they roll 12d20, drop lowest, divide the sum by 2, convert to base 8, find the nearest number in the Fibonacci sequence(round up on odd-numbered days, down on even-numbered) and use that to look up the attack result on Custom Tables A through JJJ.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 2, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Exactly. Your little chess piece only deserves to get a real name and background after he's a proven survivor.

EDIT: At low levels, this would be a well-executed random encounter

This has convinced me, somehow, if only because I do love seeing my players looking totally blindsided.

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Hence why everyone should take the lucky feat! :v: Go on and take that random shot underwater with your eyes closed, you'll probably hit!

My vote: get rid of Lucky, give everyone 3 luck points baseline. Call 'em Action Points if you want.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Angrymog posted:

Thinking about the swingyness of using 1d20 for things; how would 3d20 and take the middle result for a normal roll work?

And now, for an actual answer, it would look like this.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

P.d0t posted:

I actually like that curve, if only because it reminds me of the 2d6 curve you get in PbtA games, where it's weighted towards the middle of the range. Part of the problem, though, is that d20 systems tend to have more modifiers in play and don't tend to have clearly-defined "partial successes," so the value isn't quite as high.

I could see it working if your group wanted to do it, though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
3d20-take-middle might be okay, but I personally would start looking at a digital die roller for rolls like that.

To mitigate swinginess in combat, I'd just use the Escalation Die mechanic.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Your DM is incorrect.

Advantage and Disadvantage, when they aren't specifically called for in the rules, is supposed to be a situational modifier.

If you're making an Arcana check and you're not proficient in Arcana, then it's a d20+INT. Disadvantage would be something like if you're trying to decipher the runes on a tome while gale force winds are blowing against the pages.

Hey now, attempting a check while lacking proficiency is situational...it's just a situation that occurs constantly! :v:

Seriously though I understand that's how a dm is supposed to adjudicate Advantage, but the game is written so that the dm can really do no wrong, because while there are rules, they are free to ignore them, explicitly.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Babylon Astronaut posted:

The best way as a barbarian to deal with ropers is just run a straight line and use lucky on your dex saves.

Well, Barbarians by level 2 already have advantage on Dex saves, plus mine picked up the charger feat because...

Wait, why the gently caress is charging a feat at all?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

FRINGE posted:

In any case, Megaman's Jockstrap was implying that I was saying "lovely games" are fun, and I was not.

First of all, there's really no such thing as an objectively lovely game, if you enjoy Fantasy Vietnam that's your jam. Have fun, you're not hurting my feelings. Unless you deify that style of play in which case I get annoyed and start posting all butt-hurt.

While I feel that anyone seriously interested in RPGs should have to play "low magic" (aka high lethality aka Cowardly Lion Dungeon Delve) Old School D&D as part of their education I don't think the majority of them will enjoy it because it produces a lot of robotic behavior and unsatisfying, lovely narratives. Let's face it: millions of people bought D&D during the eighties and most of them didn't stick with it. It's not because RPGs are bad, it's because the experience of playing D&D sucked for most of them and they didn't have some tribal affinity to help them keep going. It was a bad game for them and it's understandable why it was bad: it was a completely original style of game and a work made at a time where there was no internet to help run it or other examples of different RPGs to consult. Instead the game and its published material encourages the ref to jerk around the players and get in stupid pissing contests or force the player to deal with mechanically unbalanced random encounter table.

And this isn't bitter old nostalgia talking - I went back and played a 2e game with a bunch of grogs in 2009 and it was the same old stupid poo poo I remembered from years before. I remember the party spent 15 minutes of table talk discussing what to do after finding a stoppered potion bottle in a sack near a troll lair. They finally decided to go back to town and hire a peasant to open it in the middle of a field outside during the day because who knows, it might have started spewing endless poison fog or blasted fire or summoned an angry djinn to annihilate anyone nearby. When it opened fine and nothing happened, they spent another 10 minutes hemming and hawing about whether someone should sniff it or taste it, how it could be identified (this was a low-level "low magic" game so...no real way to non-magically identify a potion short of a taste test) etc etc etc. and this was one piece of treasure.

It's my experience that people who like Fantasy Vietnam style-games are the people who criticize protagonists in movies for "being stupid" by not immediately running out of the house when they get a scary phone call or trying to rescue their girlfriend from the kaiju monster instead of running away and leaving her to die. In other words, "tactical realism" nerds. They might be fine and upstanding people who contribute to their community and such but I personally find that behavior insufferable and participating in that process intolerable.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mecha Gojira posted:

Well, Barbarians by level 2 already have advantage on Dex saves, plus mine picked up the charger feat because...

Wait, why the gently caress is charging a feat at all?

Because the designers are dumb and bad.

They didn't get the point of feats in 3E - guys, it's not "anything that's conceivably beneficial to the player", and especially not "something that the player could already do before that now they need a feat before they can do"

They still didn't get the point of feats in 4E - okay, you got better with the basic design since the benefits were much more focused, but if you're going to patch/errata the game, patch/errata the game, don't make people take feats to make the errata take effect. Also, maybe don't make a billion of them, and if you're going to make an Essentials line that "locks in" your class progression, maybe include the feats because that's the most taxing part of creating a character

They still didn't get the point of feats in 5E - you kind of got better still with the design by making it so that the bonuses aren't just purely numerical anymore, except when they are because you need the +1 INT from Linguist to let it have a snowball's chance in hell of competing with War Caster, which kind of still means you still don't get the point of feats. But anyway, making feats purely optional doesn't give you a pass on having to design feats well, especially when you yet again pull a 3E and lock away something that the player could do before, like Charge, except now they might not even have the option of being able to take a feat for Charge, and when they do, it's at the cost of +2 stats!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's my experience that people who like Fantasy Vietnam style-games are the people who criticize protagonists in movies for "being stupid" by not immediately running out of the house when they get a scary phone call or trying to rescue their girlfriend from the kaiju monster instead of running away and leaving her to die. In other words, "tactical realism" nerds.

Listening to RPPR play Dungeon Crawl Classics was such a breath of fresh air because having 5 character sheets at a time meant that they were more than willing to stick arms into corpses (that contained Rot Grubs) and dive right into pools to retrieve mysterious rings (that were then cursed). All those extra (and disposable) lives gave the players the freedom to act stupid and kept the game moving even as they were traipsing across a dungeon full of gotchas and ridiculous bullshit.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

P.d0t posted:

Oh gosh, that's a nice site.

Yeah, I have thought about porting the Escalation die to my 5e game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Listening to RPPR play Dungeon Crawl Classics was such a breath of fresh air because having 5 character sheets at a time meant that they were more than willing to stick arms into corpses (that contained Rot Grubs) and dive right into pools to retrieve mysterious rings (that were then cursed). All those extra (and disposable) lives gave the players the freedom to act stupid and kept the game moving even as they were traipsing across a dungeon full of gotchas and ridiculous bullshit.

You may have just sold me on Dungeon Crawl Classics.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

You may have just sold me on Dungeon Crawl Classics.

There's a lot to like about DCC, but what I described in particular (what the game calls the Character Funnel - because only one falls out at the end!) is functionally similar to what you described as Margnax the Wizard blinking into existence as soon as Jargnax the Wizard bites it, except instead of waiting for Jargnax to die before rolling up Margnax, you show up to the DM's house with those two along with Bargnax, Largnax and Yargnax already rolled up and ready to step in at a moment's notice

Angrymog posted:

Yeah, I have thought about porting the Escalation die to my 5e game.

It's really gotten to the point where I think it's a good fit with any of the d20-driven games.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah this sounds pretty good. One thing I'll say is that it's really disingenuous to act like old D&D was all about getting killed and rolling up a character no problem. RAW you started at level 1, and the books were full of high-level monsters and high-level items. Basic D&D had 4 books (3 of which were playable) dealing with what to do after level 8. Lots of modules were mid-to-high level as well. I remember when I was a teenage DM I got so frustrated at characters getting killed that I just leveled them up in a magic room one time, just so we could run a module I had purchased. One of the radical things about Dark Sun was that it had an alternate character system baked in because it was crushingly lethal even by D&D's standards. Having characters on standby was something that you had to puzzle out for yourself, the rules didn't help.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Let me tell you about a really fun way to play Basic D&D.

Get someone to be DM and make a semi-fair yet very deadly dungeon and a big pile of pregen characters. This dungeon has a magical barrier placed on the entrance that means only <number of players> good guys can enter at the same time. If <more than number of players> good guys try to enter, they all fall over vomiting and are easy prey for monsters. This has been extensively tested by the local peasantry and can be treated as definitely true. The barrier even glows blue when there are fewer than <n> good guys in there and red when there are more. This isn't anywhere near as silly as some of the published material.

Anyway, someone has to go in the dungeon and defeat the bad guy. Tell each player to take the topmost facedown character sheet from the pile. Should anyone's PC die, they are replaced by the next one on the pile in 1d6 rounds. If you like, you can make it a rule that you have to finish your drink every time your guy dies.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

One thing I'll say is that it's really disingenuous to act like old D&D was all about getting killed and rolling up a character no problem.

There sure were plenty of rules dealing with high levels (like what, 35 levels in BECMI?) but chances that your level one guy would survive were pretty low if you were playing the game as written and emulating the examples. And it really is easy to make a character - you could replace "in 1d6 rounds" above with "as soon as you roll your new guy up" without it changing much. That said, characters get way more survivable after level 3 (ie, as they leave the red box) and again around level 10 towards the end of the blue book. The first few levels are bullshit kinds of deadly. After that you get way more likely to survive. I'm pretty sure this is what the DCC funnel is riffing on.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 2, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's a lot to like about DCC, but what I described in particular (what the game calls the Character Funnel - because only one falls out at the end!) is functionally similar to what you described as Margnax the Wizard blinking into existence as soon as Jargnax the Wizard bites it, except instead of waiting for Jargnax to die before rolling up Margnax, you show up to the DM's house with those two along with Bargnax, Largnax and Yargnax already rolled up and ready to step in at a moment's notice

Oh yeah, for sure. And for the right kind of campaign, I'm totally fine with that. I'd want players to be ready for the "don't get attached to a specific character early on" thing right off the bat.

My money's on Largnax to survive.

AlphaDog posted:

Anyway, someone has to go in the dungeon and defeat the bad guy. Tell each player to take the topmost facedown character sheet from the pile. Should anyone's PC die, they are replaced by the next one on the pile in 1d6 rounds. If you like, you can make it a rule that you have to finish your drink every time your guy dies.

My friends have been looking for a good way to turn tabletop RPing into a drinking game...

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Angrymog posted:

I think Advantage and Disadvantage should still use 2d20 take best/worst or their effects are really magnified.

3d20 and take the middle is what Tavern Tales ( http://www.taverntalesrpg.com ) uses. I played it once and thought it worked pretty well, though we were playing online.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You can achieve a similar spread using 3d6, though you're giving up the top and bottom ends of the range for it, so I'm not sure what it'd do to the system math overall. I know it's what they recommend for those "D&D for kids" games if you don't have a d20 to work with, but again, those are "D&D for kids" things so the math's notably less important.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

You can achieve a similar spread using 3d6, though you're giving up the top and bottom ends of the range for it, so I'm not sure what it'd do to the system math overall. I know it's what they recommend for those "D&D for kids" games if you don't have a d20 to work with, but again, those are "D&D for kids" things so the math's notably less important.

Replacing the 1d20 with a 3d6 was an officially supported variant rule for 3.5: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/bellCurveRolls.htm

What it generally means is that fights/skill checks are more 'pre-determined', or that if the target number is within your average, you're very likely to hit it. Comparing a 1d20+5 versus a 3d6+5 (or a hypothetical +3 attribute modifier and a +2 proficiency bonus):

DC 12, or 3 lower than the average of [10.5 + 5]: The d20 has a 70% chance to succeed, but the 3d6 has a 90.74% chance
DC 18, or 3 higher than the average of [10.5 + 5]: The d20 has a 40% chance to succeed, but the 3d6 only has a 25.93% chance

Translating this to combat, if your attack bonus is higher than the target's AC bonus (and vice-versa of their attack bonus vs your AC), you're much more favored to win. Conversely, it's so much more difficult to defeat an enemy that's rated to be tougher.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

AlphaDog posted:

It's currently on hold (having a baby kinda does that for a lot of things), but the follow-up to TAAC I've been working on has a similar mechanic, except for the drinking part. If your character dies, then either their twin brother/sister shows up as soon as you've crossed out the old name and written a new one, or a brand-new guy arrives once you finish rolling them up (which should take two minutes, max, unless you dither over spell choices). The system works like the old 1e tournament modules where players get points for achievements; they also get 'black marks' deducted with each death, so there's at least some incentive to keep your character alive.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

gradenko_2000 posted:

Replacing the 1d20 with a 3d6 was an officially supported variant rule for 3.5: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/bellCurveRolls.htm

What it generally means is that fights/skill checks are more 'pre-determined', or that if the target number is within your average, you're very likely to hit it. Comparing a 1d20+5 versus a 3d6+5 (or a hypothetical +3 attribute modifier and a +2 proficiency bonus):

DC 12, or 3 lower than the average of [10.5 + 5]: The d20 has a 70% chance to succeed, but the 3d6 has a 90.74% chance
DC 18, or 3 higher than the average of [10.5 + 5]: The d20 has a 40% chance to succeed, but the 3d6 only has a 25.93% chance

Translating this to combat, if your attack bonus is higher than the target's AC bonus (and vice-versa of their attack bonus vs your AC), you're much more favored to win. Conversely, it's so much more difficult to defeat an enemy that's rated to be tougher.

Incidentally, this makes buffs and debuffs that much stronger, which is a good thing.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

Incidentally, this makes buffs and debuffs that much stronger, which is a good thing.

It also reduces the importance of Advantage/Disadvantage, provided you use 'add one d6, drop lowest or highest'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Angrymog posted:

It would ultimately be excrutiatingly agonizing, as it means throwing away virtually every time you roll a 20.