Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

:siren:Thread Alert:siren:

Bitey was cold (window still open) and now he's in my hoodie sleeve! He crawled in on his own! :swoon:

In case you are at all worried that these alerts are becoming too frequent: they are not!

You got some good photos, too. I never know how anybody does it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Bitey was cold (window still open) and now he's in my hoodie sleeve! He crawled in on his own! :swoon:

My lovebird would crawl into shirt front pockets and sleep

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure if Judah tried to wedge himself in a sleeve he'd get confused halfway through and then just yell till someone shook him out :derptiel:

I want a cuddly little fruitbird :saddowns:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

nielsm posted:

This morning Pion seemed to sneeze several times in a row, and afterwards begin scramble around and squeak in a way I haven't seen before, with seemingly no provocation. It's probably nothing but I can't help to be worried. It also seemed to stop after she found the food again.

She's had a bald spot on her back head since I got her, but with some growing feathers which seem to slowly be opening now. Could it be related to that?

Sounds normal, sometimes they can get really furious at the world because they can't stop sneezing or yawning and it's hilarious to watch

(tip for new birb owners-rub around their ears, it causes them to yawn reflexively and you can make them do it non-stop if you get it juuuuust right)

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

Sounds normal, sometimes they can get really furious at the world because they can't stop sneezing or yawning it exists and it's hilarious to watch
That's more like it

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

Sounds normal, sometimes they can get really furious at the world because they can't stop sneezing or yawning and it's hilarious to watch

(tip for new birb owners-rub around their ears, it causes them to yawn reflexively and you can make them do it non-stop if you get it juuuuust right)

Yep everything was fine and normal when I got back home.

Said bald spot:

She can see the entire living room. Also those little eyelashes :kimchi:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

That's lovely :3:

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

https://twitter.com/hukuloucoffee Look at this owl and kitten

Look.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Has anyone here ever bought a used cage? I'm looking at a large parrot cage for $95, but I don't know what the warning signs would be if there were any.

Edit: ^^^^ :kimchi:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

nielsm posted:

Yep everything was fine and normal when I got back home.

Said bald spot:

Cacatuidae all have bald spots back there. That's just how your bird is built. If he lets you, preen the casings on those feathers above the blood.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I have a third nipple from letting a bird crawl up my sleeve inside my shirt. The scar has been there next to my sternum for nearly a decade now. You are all very brave.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

I hope the forum gods will forgive a meme/image macro for once for this GREAT OPPORTUNITY.

I accept denominations between $20s and $100s :colbert:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Does the sweet cash come with the bird? If so I'm in

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
thanks mr skeltal

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Why do baby parrots have such big, dark eyes? It's so cute it's unfair!

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

In potato news, Daisy passed her wellness checkup with flying colors and is only moderately pissed at me. Annnnnd now I want an electus parrot. They're stunning

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mizuti posted:

Why do baby parrots have such big, dark eyes? It's so cute it's unfair!

Man, give me that bird. I want to cuddle it.

anotherblownsave posted:

In potato news, Daisy passed her wellness checkup with flying colors and is only moderately pissed at me. Annnnnd now I want an electus parrot. They're stunning
Hooray Daisy! I tend to overload Judah with millet when he comes home from the vet and I'm pretty sure he forgets about it as he goes all Hedonism-Bot on a chunk of millet.

One of the best moments with a parrot that wasn't mine was finally getting to hold a male eclectus after only seeing them online :3: He was stunning and so mellow, we just chilled together for about a half hour as baby cockatoos quietly tried to gnaw my fingers off.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

So I'm a lazy butt who got a fabulous birb plush a few weeks ago but I am so lazy I have taken pictures on my phone and simply haven't uploaded them.

UNTIL NOW. DUN DUNDUUUUUN.

The first thing I did was have it terrorize my poor roomie.

Super cute! Would recommend as a great bird. Very pretty, will snuggle whenever you want and most importantly doesn't scream and doesn't try to rip my fingers in half.

I shall continue to live vicariously through you folks and through Ivan updates at his new home.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That is absolutely amazing :3:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

I'm watching my bird play with a bottle cap. It's incredibly cute (and I keep hoping he ends up with it on like a hat) but he also keeps dropping it off the cage and looking at me like "Chop chop."

I also went and played with the blue crown conure at the pet store and am having serious second bird thoughts.

If you'll excuse me, I have to go get a bottle cap. :derptiel:

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I am so jealous. LOLA the Lovebirb does not understand cuddles or snuggles and hands are super scary.

Unless the hands are typing then it's time to sit on them a puke up whatever good poo poo was shared for dinner.

Yesterday dinner was pizza crust and red Zupreem!

Edit: I love her so much. I love all the other birds too but looking at LOLA makes my brain short circuit and next thing I know I'm yelling HI WHOS MY LIL JELLYBEAN and waiting for her CHIRP.

Tasty_Crayon fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 3, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Bitey was perched in his second favourite spot, atop his cage (his top favourite is in my hoodie sleeve) and started scratching his head with his claw, fell over on his butt, and is now glaring at me accusingly.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Today I sang to Bitey for half an hour or so, which made him sit happily on my hand/tummy/chest during a Mandatory Cuddle Session. Later he spent a bit over an hour chilled out in my shirt. Now he's hanging out in his cage eating millet (he loving loves millet), playing on his swing, and playing on his new palm frond, which seems to be a new favourite (I got it on my way back from grocery shopping).

e: Back in my sleeve :kimchi:

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 3, 2015

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Today I sang to Bitey for half an hour or so, which made him sit happily on my hand/tummy/chest during a Mandatory Cuddle Session. Later he spent a bit over an hour chilled out in my shirt. Now he's hanging out in his cage eating millet (he loving loves millet), playing on his swing, and playing on his new palm frond, which seems to be a new favourite (I got it on my way back from grocery shopping).

e: Back in my sleeve :kimchi:

Might want to cool it on the millet - it's great as a treat, but you should rotate with other healthier snacks like fruit or whatever you're eating (vegan food, no avocado) because he wants to share food with you. Millet is super fatty and you might be surprised how fast fatty liver can catch up with a wee bird. My bird's bloodwork came back with elevated liver enzymes from just half a spike of millet a week, but she's a lightweight. Pretty sure my vet didn't believe me when I said that was all she was getting. My boyfriend maybe sneaks her more?

Millet: a sometimes food.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Pile of Kittens posted:

Might want to cool it on the millet - it's great as a treat, but you should rotate with other healthier snacks like fruit or whatever you're eating (vegan food, no avocado) because he wants to share food with you. Millet is super fatty and you might be surprised how fast fatty liver can catch up with a wee bird. My bird's bloodwork came back with elevated liver enzymes from just half a spike of millet a week, but she's a lightweight. Pretty sure my vet didn't believe me when I said that was all she was getting. My boyfriend maybe sneaks her more?

Millet: a sometimes food.

Yeah, I'm giving him this millet for now and not planning to add a stick of it once he's finished it. It's mostly there for now because he got a very millety seed diet with his previous owner and to make his new cage feel like a nice place. He was on a seed diet with bits of fruit and veg but I'm switching him slowly over to pellets with fruit and veg. He likes sharing the fruit and veg I eat so far - carrot (I shred some for him as well as giving him my carrot ends), corn, cauliflower, celery, peas, ???mystery lettuce??? and spinach (I love spinach) (cooked and raw), pear and apple cores.

I think millet is going to be a really good treat for when I'm teaching him to do tricks, he REALLY loves it. Despite the fact that he drops more than he eats :v:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Also, how good is a parrot's sense of smell? I know most birds are meant to have poor senses of smell, except for vultures and other carrion birds, seabirds, etc. What about parrots?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

pear and apple cores.

Just in case you didn't know, the seeds of these are unsafe for parrots to eat (since you mentioned cores specifically)

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Also, how good is a parrot's sense of smell? I know most birds are meant to have poor senses of smell, except for vultures and other carrion birds, seabirds, etc. What about parrots?

Birds are never gunna smell you coming and know you are there like a dog or cat will.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Battle Pigeon posted:

Just in case you didn't know, the seeds of these are unsafe for parrots to eat (since you mentioned cores specifically)

I've been making sure to watch him while he's eating it so he just gets the fleshy and fibrey bites. He usually gets bored or it dries up by the time it gets that far too! I've elected for that reason not to leave apple or pear cores in his cage, in case I forget to take them out before night time. I've stuck a couple of little apple and pear slices around his cage though for him to nibble on.

e: Yessssssssssssss I have a shoulder parrot :swoon:

e2: Bitey got to experience the fun of a fire alarm (a neighbour was cooking toast). He seemed more curious than frightened about it and now seems ready to have a sleep.

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 3, 2015

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I've been making sure to watch him while he's eating it so he just gets the fleshy and fibrey bites. He usually gets bored or it dries up by the time it gets that far too! I've elected for that reason not to leave apple or pear cores in his cage, in case I forget to take them out before night time. I've stuck a couple of little apple and pear slices around his cage though for him to nibble on.

e: Yessssssssssssss I have a shoulder parrot :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I'm under the impression that most birds have a next-to-nonexistent sense of smell and/or taste - wild birds will happily peck and eat at anything halfway resembling food (loose airsoft balls and/or paintball balls look like berries, for example). Case in point, chili peppers; the burning taste is there to keep non--avians away, while birds will happily chow down on them and then, er, deposit the seeds later. Fact that we humans like to think of the things as delicacies is just a design flaw on our part.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

It varies a great deal from species to species. I'm pretty sure no parrot has a better sense of smell than a human, though. As for the chili peppers thing, they are specifically immune to capsaicin (the molecule that makes chilies hot) and it has nothing to do with the sense of smell. My dad has anosmia but feels the burn quite well :science:

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I've been anosmiac all my life and I can barely stand mild spice. It's definitely not a smell thing because I've never had a working nose

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I heard recently that some birdologists think that some migrating birds navigate by smell.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This stupid :derptiel:.

Unable to find the water bowl if hanged from the side of the cage. However placed 5 cm below on the cage bottom happily hops over and takes a drink.

Sits right in the middle of the food bowl, despite being able to balance on the edge. Result is poop in the food, and massive amounts pushed out onto the cage bottom.

Also re. smell, not sure about that, but they definitely have some idea of taste. Why else be such a picky eater?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I just had to cut my idiot bird out of one of his toys. He has one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0043U2VNC/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

I came home today to find him chewing on the strands at the top. He seemed quite engrossed with them, so I left him to it for a while. When I opened the cage door, he stayed there. I had a closer look, and he had somehow managed to get the strands tied around his neck and twisted into a noose. I had to cut him free, then unwrap the remaining strands from around his neck (which he wasn't too happy with me doing). He's now perched on my shoulder, and is super clingy in what I can only assume is a 'thanks for rescuing me' mood.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I stumbled across a fantastic collection of birb videos and Vines. It's mostly parrots, but it also has owls, finches, pigeons, ducks, and more.

I'm dying from a cuteness overload.

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 3, 2015

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Charlie just had a poop that - while color and consistency seemed normal - didn't clear the vent all the way. It hung there for a bit until he ran around enough from me trying to grab it that it fell. This has me super worried now :ohdear:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Right when I'm deciding that no, I can't buy that super cute blue crown, my friend texts me and one of his high school friends is wanting to give away their Nanday, and wants to know if I'm interested.

What? How did this happen? Any Nanday owners here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Shirec posted:

Right when I'm deciding that no, I can't buy that super cute blue crown, my friend texts me and one of his high school friends is wanting to give away their Nanday, and wants to know if I'm interested.

What? How did this happen? Any Nanday owners here?
They are loud but meet it and see what you think, they're in the same family as Sun and Dusky conures which are clever and cuddly in general.