Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

What happens under judo rules if your uke doesn't tuck their head with the throw and gets knocked out like in that gif?

I'm way late on this but since it wasn't really answered yet... since the injury happened while the tori was doing a legal technique, the lady who did the throw would win, I believe via a hansuke-make (because the guy posted off his head to avoid giving up points) but possibly via forfeit if the ref thought the head post wasn't intentional. I'm not 100% on which, but the outcome is the same. The bridging rule wouldn't come into play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
It's weird calling goons sane, but I'm glad that people in this thread are sane about martial arts after I wandered into r/martialarts on reddit today.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Keg posted:

It's weird calling goons sane, but I'm glad that people in this thread are sane about martial arts after I wandered into r/martialarts on reddit today.

CoGoondolences.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
The sport or art specific martial art sub Reddits are ok. But yeah it's easy to forgot how dumb so many people are about these things.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Xguard86 posted:

The sport or art specific martial art sub Reddits are ok. But yeah it's easy to forgot how dumb so many people are about these things.

quote:

Do you think the BJJ practitioner would have a fighting chance against a Kung fu or FMA practitioner armed with a weapon of their choosing ( Staff, whip, knife, kali stick, etc. )
Why or why not? Also which MA weapons training do you think is more applicable to a real fight scenario?
This has been a question burning in me with all the hype of BJJ being the end all be all for self defense.
Serious replies only please.

I will never forget.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

"who is more poewrful goku or naruto. thansk for you time"

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Serious replies only!!

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

de la peche posted:

This plateau is kicking the gently caress out of me now. I've got three stripes on a blue belt and I've never felt more like I haven't got a clue. Cardio's gotten worse, other people are figuring my poo poo out, and I feel like I can't quite be bothered enough. I'm not going to quit, but I'm definitely having my ego corrected quite a bit at the minute. I've got a competition in September, and I'm actually starting to get worried because my current performance isn't anything I'd like anyone else to see, I feel like a loving embarrassment. Bleh.

Take a week off!

Many wise men have said it takes more courage to rest than to train.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

de la peche posted:

This plateau is kicking the gently caress out of me now. I've got three stripes on a blue belt and I've never felt more like I haven't got a clue. Cardio's gotten worse, other people are figuring my poo poo out, and I feel like I can't quite be bothered enough. I'm not going to quit, but I'm definitely having my ego corrected quite a bit at the minute. I've got a competition in September, and I'm actually starting to get worried because my current performance isn't anything I'd like anyone else to see, I feel like a loving embarrassment. Bleh.

Don't let your ego or sense of self worth get caught up in the success or failure of your strategy. It's a thing, separate to you, that has flaws, and it's your job to work out what the flaws are and how to fix them. Winning and losing are illusions, the goal is to improve.

You could try getting somebody to film you while you roll and review the footage, I usually find that really eye-opening.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

The mental game can ruin your physical one. If you're stressed about your performance, it'll probably negatively impact it. Like lots of other advice which is easy to say and hard to do, try and relax, maybe take a week off like some of the other posters said.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Also don't worry so much about beating your training partners, narrow your focus to a technique or position you want to improve and work on that. When something that used to work stops working, that's an opportunity to refine it. The people you go against in competition aren't going to know your tendencies, so just because something stops working as well in training doesn't mean you're getting worse, it just means your training partners are adapting and improving. That's a good thing, it's what forces you to tighten up your game.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Thanks for the good advice from everyone. I have had quite a bit of stress lately, I'll take a week off and try to get it all in perspective. Whilst I know on a very real level that there's zero point getting wound up with it all, I seem to have forgotten that temporarily!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

de la peche posted:

Thanks for the good advice from everyone. I have had quite a bit of stress lately, I'll take a week off and try to get it all in perspective. Whilst I know on a very real level that there's zero point getting wound up with it all, I seem to have forgotten that temporarily!

It doesn't even need to be a full week off, or a week fully off: just change up what you're doing a bit. Spend a few workouts blasting your cardio instead, or extra core workout, or doing just repetitive drills on fundamentals. EG if my punches feel like poo poo for a few consecutive workouts, I'll often just drill 1/1-2s and high intensity footwork. It can help to maintain your training schedule but change the content.

This goes for anything by the way - not just training. Productive procrastination is how I finished my dissertation.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ligur posted:

Take a week off!

Many wise men have said it takes more courage to rest than to train.

i am taking a week off due to being sick as a dog and its driving me insane...

At least i got Splatoon.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

"who is more poewrful goku or naruto. thansk for you time"

Goku easily

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Keg posted:

I will never forget.

bjj guy with a gun wins. Thanks

~~~~~Ronin1993N0F3arKillforHonor~~~~~

It is better to live and die than die for living for death - Maximus Decimus Meridius

currently training: Niten Ichi-ryu

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
fite me irl scrubs

i'll punch you in the gabber m8

These sorts of discussions can be pretty useful if it leads to actually pairing up different practitioners and fighting. But so often its just furious :circlefap:ing

EDIT: Goku effortlessly, unless naruto is in fox of nine tails form, in which case goku might have to yell a lot and strain his face until :supaburn:

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 2, 2015

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Novum posted:

Goku easily

yeah but what if it was on the street. what if there were knives. what if naruto had guns. which would win a gun or a sword. waht do you think about that. what if threre were multiple attackers (hoodlums)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

yeah but what if it was on the street. what if there were knives. what if naruto had guns. which would win a gun or a sword. waht do you think about that. what if threre were multiple attackers (hoodlums)

The floor is lava covered in broken glass and AIDS needles.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

I just got diagnosed with a sprained LCL because of my Sensei's overly aggressive Brown Belt idiot son. I am getting really tired of being paired up with him since he wants to fight heavyweight and I am the only other heavyweight in the club that shows up regularly when he happens to walk in. He has the technical competence of a Orange Belt and is just sloppy using more brute strength than technique.

He attempted to do Osoto-makikomi but he snaked his leg around mine and then put all his weight on my knee in the fall when he tired to muscle through the technique after not getting enough pull on the Makikomi. I am half-tempted to go to BJJ since it is the only Judo club in my city. I might be just mad that it is the Sensei's son who injured me and complaining to him about his son is going to be causing a issue. I rather not as he is a great instructor and the coaches I been working with are awesome.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I just got diagnosed with a sprained LCL because of my Sensei's overly aggressive Brown Belt idiot son. I am getting really tired of being paired up with him since he wants to fight heavyweight and I am the only other heavyweight in the club that shows up regularly when he happens to walk in. He has the technical competence of a Orange Belt and is just sloppy using more brute strength than technique.

Tell your Sensei you don't wanna partner off with him anymore it shouldn't be an issue. If he can't see that his son is, as you claim, an idiot just muscling the techniques and still makes you partner off then go on to another school[Gods chosen BJJ] . If you break your training partners by being an idiot you shouldn't get a new one for quite a while.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 3, 2015

mewse
May 2, 2006

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I rather not as he is a great instructor and the coaches I been working with are awesome.

I dunno man, if you're seeing nepotism and the son is a douche then it doesn't seem like a very good gym to me. There's a boxing coach local to me who coaches his son and maybe like 3 other people and the guy is nuts, but the people he's training don't know any better because they haven't gone to a different boxing gym.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
has to be a poo poo dojo if nobody can handle hearing you say what you posted in this thread without drama erupting. i would tell dad and son at the same time, if they are people worth hanging out with then they should respect your concerns. these guys are presumably grown men and should be able to handle this kind of confrontation without bitching or starting drama.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

He attempted to do Osoto-makikomi but he snaked his leg around mine and then put all his weight on my knee in the fall when he tired to muscle through the technique after not getting enough pull on the Makikomi. I am half-tempted to go to BJJ since it is the only Judo club in my city. I might be just mad that it is the Sensei's son who injured me and complaining to him about his son is going to be causing a issue. I rather not as he is a great instructor and the coaches I been working with are awesome.

You get dickheads like that in BJJ too. I've trained for a while now with a guy who is really good, but gets frustrated when you successfully defend, to the point where he'll start really throwing submissions on, or even ignoring your taps. It's been a personal bugbear of mine for ages, so I rarely roll with him; my safety's too important. However, not too long ago, I had to roll with him, and surprise surprise, he got me in a triangle, and because I'd been defending every other sub attempt, he held it on, even after I tapped. I'm a bit ashamed to say I lost my temper, and my next tap was two open palm taps to the front of his face, which is the first and only time I've ever lost my temper. He told me to 'stop being a pussy', and I told him 'when I loving say I'm done, that means you loving stop'. We ended up sorting it all out after some more cross words, which I'm glad about, because in every other aspect he's an alright person, he just has some weird issues.

On another note, instead of me taking a week off, I got asked to teach the white belt class with a mate of mine tonight (the coach is away), so I did that. It was fun, just did some basic takedown stuff, and some spider-triangle-sweep combo bits. Then I had a loving awesome roll with my friend where instead of trying Really Hard I just went hunting for triangles from lovely positions by inverting. It was a breath of fresh air.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I spent some time training at a boxing gym with a coach who barely spoke English and his son would translate and then spar with me and the other really new people . If the son ever made a mistake, even hitting someone too hard, his dad would just explode in Spanish. Not like angry but...very assertive and direct.

So, there's an example of a father son gym dynamic that was good.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

KildarX posted:

Tell your Sensei you don't wanna partner off with him anymore it shouldn't be an issue. If he can't see that his son is, as you claim, an idiot just muscling the techniques and still makes you partner off then go on to another school[Gods chosen BJJ] . If you break your training partners by being an idiot you shouldn't get a new one for quite a while.

I didn't have to do anything. The coaches spoke with my Sensei as soon as they found out about my LCL injury and Sensei apologized for how his son is acting right now. They found his son wrapping his leg around and falling on the knee when sparring with others and kept ignoring requests to stop this. He is not going to be paired with anyone until he learned to calm down when he fights, listen to others and not try kill people in randori.

Now he is at home belly-aching about the whole thing and playing Smash Bros. Fine by me since he really doesn't want to be there most of the time.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

How the gently caress did someone like that even get to green?

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

After talking to others in the club, I pretty much confirmed that he was pushed up belts to keep him interested. It is evident when he fights that he is not technically competent for his level.

His gripping is waving his arms until he gets something. He telegraphs 80% of the time and never really combos into anything. He stiff arms a lot and freezes when attacked by other heavyweights. He goes against lower weights as a attempt to ego boost and still does the thing. He then whines that a Lower belt shouldn't be able to beat him.

He clearly does not want to be there but whatever. He will still come when he feels like and be a goddamn baby about his lack of progress.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

After talking to others in the club, I pretty much confirmed that he was pushed up belts to keep him interested. It is evident when he fights that he is not technically competent for his level.

His gripping is waving his arms until he gets something. He telegraphs 80% of the time and never really combos into anything. He stiff arms a lot and freezes when attacked by other heavyweights. He goes against lower weights as a attempt to ego boost and still does the thing. He then whines that a Lower belt shouldn't be able to beat him.

He clearly does not want to be there but whatever. He will still come when he feels like and be a goddamn baby about his lack of progress.

loving ridiculous.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
All this because of his dad?

I did a ringen class over the weekend at a hema event, it was great fun and I'm looking out for a wrestling place. I might just go ahead with bjj for the rest of the summer though.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

He is not going to be paired with anyone until he learned to calm down when he fights, listen to others and not try kill people in randori.

A good resolution. My Coach says "If you start to amp it up in sparring to where you're actually hurting my people you can go beat up the bag instead until it taps out." a good theory.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Does judo have the thing you have in bjj where the higher level guys will deal with new guys trying to hulk smash people by having them wear themselves out until they almost pass out from exhaustion ?

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
There are gym enforcers but the dynamics are different. It's less about wearing the hulk down and more about catching a clean counter and creating that 'eep!' effect when you throw them. You can imagine, all it takes is couple times of their "power move" working against them before they start consciously slowing it down. Judo also tends to be pretty taxing, more like wrestling than BJJ, so especially for the first few weeks of classes if you don't feel like you're gonna pass out at the end you're probably doing it wrong.

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 7, 2015

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

You teach lessons in judo the same as bjj:

Smother them in kaisa gatame while asking the front desk lady if she thinks it will rain tomorrow.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Rabhadh posted:

All this because of his dad?

I did a ringen class over the weekend at a hema event, it was great fun and I'm looking out for a wrestling place. I might just go ahead with bjj for the rest of the summer though.

Where are you located? If you're looking for specifically ringen I can probably point you in the right direction.

edit: Speaking of which, Jessica Finley who wrote the (modern) book on ringen just posted a video from 2013 detailing several throws.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 7, 2015

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Metamoris announced a north american pro "qualifier league" which looks pretty cool. The Tampa events are gonna be at one of our schools (not the one I primarily train at) and we've got a bunch of guys entering, really hope they plan on streaming all the events.

e: looks like the 8 regionals will be streamed but I'm guessing not the 24 qualifiers

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 7, 2015

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Slaapaav posted:

Does judo have the thing you have in bjj where the higher level guys will deal with new guys trying to hulk smash people by having them wear themselves out until they almost pass out from exhaustion ?
I have a friend who is old school judo guy and one of the things they used to do to dicks in judo would be to grab the gi in a normal lapel grip with a fist and then full on punch the guy in the face with the gripping hand under the guise of grip fighting. I don't think that was done to new guys at all but rather to more experienced guys who were hurting people or disrespectful.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
Speaking of judo, I scored free tickets to the judo medal rounds on Saturday at the pan am games. Womens 48kg and 52kg, then Mens 60kg. I'm not familiar with anyone in these weight classes - if anyone knows of an athlete I should look out for I'd love to hear about it. List here.

Yuns - good luck to your team mate Travis Stevens. I could have scored free tickets on the Sunday when most of the judokas I've heard of are competing, but I'll be watching the Rugby sevens.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
How many of you who do BJJ actually compete in it?

For those of you who do compete in it, how long did you train before doing your first competition?

I'm going to be starting it up in the fall and am really excited to be learning something new but also compete in it eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Alfalfa posted:

How many of you who do BJJ actually compete in it?

For those of you who do compete in it, how long did you train before doing your first competition?

I'm going to be starting it up in the fall and am really excited to be learning something new but also compete in it eventually.

I've competed in sambo, BJJ, catch wrestling, and shuaijiao. I did my first competition after about a year of training.

BJJ tourneys are divided by belt, so you should be alright to compete at white belt after 6 months or so, depending on how often you go. Generally speaking competing in a grappling tournament isn't that big a deal, since it doesn't require matchmaking like striking sports and you generally don't get hurt even if you're massively outclassed.

• Locked thread