Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Die Laughing posted:

I'm glad I burned myself out on the 600 or so issues before his solo run started, but Agent Venom, Superior Spider-Man, and Spiderverse is a good legacy to have. If I was the editor and I had to tell Slott it was time to give up Amazing, and he blurted out "Spider-Man in Japan!" I'd just tell him when the script was due.

It'll be funny until it's not, but it's a good enough joke to at least check out the first issue.
Yeah, see, the other two could be argued to have a positive impact, but Spider-Verse was a total goddamn mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Spider-Verse was my favorite crossover of last year by far. I loved it.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

spider-verse and it's titles actually got me into actually reading comic books instensively, so i'm willing to forgive a lot of its poo poo like slott's writing tbh.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Spiderverse was, like, the meta-Slott story. Like every idea he has he did jack poo poo with it and in fact did his damnedest to make it awful, but everything that spun out of it in the hands of other writers was gold.

It also gave us Spider-Gwen which alone would be worth the cost of admission.

e: when I saw everything that spun out of it I'm not counting the lovely Hopeless/Land Spiderwoman tie-in but everything else was good

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Alucard Nacirema posted:

It's a ripoff of Batman Inc. for starters

In what way

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lurdiak posted:

Slott deserves zero credit for Agent Venom. That idea would have been poo poo if he wrote it, and the few times he did write it, it was poo poo. It's like crediting Rob Liefeld for Deadpool.

You give the creator credit even if someone did it better later.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Die Laughing posted:

I'll take Peter Parker in Japan any day over just rehashing the same stories they've been doing for the past fifty years. After Slott's first issue and Spiderverse, this has me wanting to buy Amazing Spider-Man for the first time in a long time. Just have some fun with the character. If we get monsters, robots, and a neon Spidey punching them I'm loving sold. If I wanted to read stories with MJ or the Green Goblin I'd go through my long boxes and crush myself under the weight of traditional Spider-Man stories.

Jesus Christ yes please. This is how I felt 10 years ago. I was happy with JMS and as much as I won't read a Slott ASM I do agree the concepts and ideas are fun but executes better by other creative staff

I also find it funny how Marvel doesn't seem to like Peter Parker much after BND and misunderstands why he can be stagnant and what to do about it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I can't for the life of me see what y'all see in this. It strips everything that makes the character remotely interesting and replaces it with pure dullness.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

CharlestheHammer posted:

I can't for the life of me see what y'all see in this. It strips everything that makes the character remotely interesting and replaces it with pure dullness.

I guess they're giving the Peter Parker experience to Miles now. Not that I'm complaining, but how they refer to him as New York's Spider-Man I figure it's something like that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

CharlestheHammer posted:

A dull Spider-Man cover would be him fighting the Green Goblin or Doctor Octopus with the New York skyline in the background. Neon Spider-Man in Japan with a new Spidermobile, and Peter Parker in a white suit pressing a button on his watch is the opposite of dull. It lights your brain up with a dozen questions, and the only way to answer them is to read the book. The book probably won't be very good, but that's a good hook for a title that could easily just coast on the same old stories.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Die Laughing posted:

A dull Spider-Man cover would be him fighting the Green Goblin or Doctor Octopus with the New York skyline in the background. Neon Spider-Man in Japan with a new Spidermobile, and Peter Parker in a white suit pressing a button on his watch is the opposite of dull. It lights your brain up with a dozen questions, and the only way to answer them is to read the book. The book probably won't be very good, but that's a good hook for a title that could easily just coast on the same old stories.

I got halfway through your post before my eyes glazed over from boredom.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Die Laughing posted:

I'm with you until the Spidermobile, then i just lose it.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Dan Slott vs John Byrne over the new direction (it's bleeding cool don't click but also click)

It is kinda sad how some of you guys sound like Byrne/his posters.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Little Mac posted:

Dan Slott vs John Byrne over the new direction (it's bleeding cool don't click but also click)

Unless there is more here, no one sounds like that here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Little Mac posted:

So this popped out at me

quote:

And you know what's supposed to happen when it gets "wearying"? YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO MOVE ON. You are NOT supposed to selfishly demand that the comics and the characters change to fit YOUR needs. Nor are the writers, artists and editors supposed to pander to the ever diminishing pool of people who make such demands.

I guess Johnny Boy missed the memo about how comics are on a massive upswing these days? Hitting sales numbers higher than we've seen in a decade.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Rhyno posted:

So this popped out at me

I guess Johnny Boy missed the memo about how comics are on a massive upswing these days? Hitting sales numbers higher than we've seen in a decade.

I think he means the pool of people who complain about XYZ all day in comics but still keep buying them for some reason.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pureauthor posted:

I think he means the pool of people who complain about XYZ all day in comics but still keep buying them for some reason.

Possibly, but Byrne's gone on rants about how tiny the comic buying audience is in the past.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Die Laughing posted:

You give the creator credit even if someone did it better later.
I'm never giving Slott credit for Silk or Alpha because they were loving awful until they escaped his hands.

The debate about things changing/staying the same is dumb because some of the best characters in Marvel at the moment are brand-new characters based on a legacy. I really do think that Miles or Spider-Gwen on the main title wrote by anyone else would sell pretty well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Flameingblack posted:

I'm never giving Slott credit for Silk or Alpha because they were loving awful until they escaped his hands.

High-five, credit-denying buddy! :hfive:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Alpha is still terrible.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Rhyno posted:

Alpha is still terrible.

And is pretty much forgotten by this point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Starsnostars posted:

And is pretty much forgotten by this point.

I'm sure he'll be back. Slott must have more to say about his amazing creation.

So back to the new Spider-suit, I had a thought that maybe if Peter goes all "Spider-Man Inc" on this and hands off the new suit to someone else and we get Spider-man of Japan it won't be so bad? That'd be fun right? Peter goes to a new country, creates a suit specifically to tackle the local threats and gives it to a new hero when he's done with it. And we know Slott loves creating new suits for Peter/Otto to wear.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I'm okay with Spider-Man going to Japan and think that's cool, but would rather see him as a cultural exchange teacher or something.

John Byrne comes off as such an rear end in a top hat in that, just as he has every time I've read any opinion by him.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
How obnoxiously racist/stereotypical will Slott write Japan? How long until Spider-Man saves Japan from a giant monster?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Probably Magic posted:

I'm okay with Spider-Man going to Japan and think that's cool, but would rather see him as a cultural exchange teacher or something.

This just made me imagine Spiderman & the X-Men: Japan Edition, and I am fully obsessed. There have to be mutants in Japan, right? I want a Japanese mutant school and I want Spidey as headmaster/teacher/whatever. I know it isn't what you meant and I do not care.

Peter'd also work as an ESL teacher to non-mutant kids or whatever, I guess, acting as a superhero on the side. Or a liasion/teacher to whatever Japanese superhero organizations + training programs there are in general.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

A Tin Of Beans posted:

This just made me imagine Spiderman & the X-Men: Japan Edition, and I am fully obsessed. There have to be mutants in Japan, right? I want a Japanese mutant school and I want Spidey as headmaster/teacher/whatever. I know it isn't what you meant and I do not care.

It isn't, but I wouldn't be any less down with it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Possibly, but Byrne's gone on rants about how tiny the comic buying audience is in the past.

He can't see past his own audience and it messes with his perspective.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm starting to hear from people around here that Miles will most lilkely only be the main Spider-Man for about 1 year until Marvel puts Peter as the main again (probably at the insistence of Slott).

Hopefully this isn't likely but yeaah...don't know if I'd put that past Slott...

EDIT: "Here" being local comic shops, probably should've clarified.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 2, 2015

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm starting to hear from people around here that Miles will most lilkely only be the main Spider-Man for about 1 year until Marvel puts Peter as the main again (probably at the insistence of Slott).

Hopefully this isn't likely but yeaah...don't know if I'd put that past Slott...

I dunno, the way Slott was acting arguing with Byrne was that Miles being the main lead is their way of "Having their cake and eating it too." So Slott is allowed to do whatever the gently caress he wants to do with Peter now because Miles can be the more traditional Peter story. Which is still stupid because Peter and Miles are different characters and Peter stories should still go to Peter, but whatever.

It will probably revert to Peter as the main one again in a year, but it won't be because of Slott but because of movie synergy.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

The only question that popped into my brain was "why is Slott still on this book?"

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Probably Magic posted:

I dunno, the way Slott was acting arguing with Byrne was that Miles being the main lead is their way of "Having their cake and eating it too." So Slott is allowed to do whatever the gently caress he wants to do with Peter now because Miles can be the more traditional Peter story. Which is still stupid because Peter and Miles are different characters and Peter stories should still go to Peter, but whatever.

It will probably revert to Peter as the main one again in a year, but it won't be because of Slott but because of movie synergy.

I could see them moving to Peter just to have synergy with the movies. Though, I could see them focus on a Spider-Men type team up mini-series or something instead..

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Peter'd also work as an ESL teacher to non-mutant kids or whatever, I guess, acting as a superhero on the side. Or a liasion/teacher to whatever Japanese superhero organizations + training programs there are in general.

He could actually just be a science teacher in Japan, I'm sure Japan has schools where some classes are in Japanese and some are in English. My cousin in Spain goes to one that does that in Spanish, English and Catalan.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Flameingblack posted:

How obnoxiously racist/stereotypical will Slott write Japan? How long until Spider-Man saves Japan from a giant monster?

Opening page followed by a: 2 weeks earlier

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Flameingblack posted:

If Leopardon returns I'm all in.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Probably Magic posted:

Making Peter married makes it so nobody can relate with him!

Okay, so now we're making Peter a world-famous inventor playboy who is super rich and smart and has women on each arm and Spider-Man is his bodyguard. Everyone can relate to that! Also, what do you mean that's exactly what Iron Man is?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Spider-Man is only about Dan Slott's fantasies, sorry.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Codependent Poster posted:

Making Peter married makes it so nobody can relate with him!

Okay, so now we're making Peter a world-famous inventor playboy who is super rich and smart and has women on each arm and Spider-Man is his bodyguard. Everyone can relate to that! Also, what do you mean that's exactly what Iron Man is?

You're right this is basically Slott's Iron Man.

I miss you Spidey but if your sacrifice keeps Slott contained to your books then you are truly marvels greatest hero.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm cautious about the premise of the book, I however, cannot get over the Spidermobile. It seems so stupid, watching Ultimate Spider-Man on Netflix with the Spider-cycle shows why this is such a stupid idea. He doesn't need a goddamn Spider-Mobile, he's loving Spider Man. gently caress.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

He can't see past his own audience and it messes with his perspective.

The industry must be hosed if it's all of 12 people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SalTheBard posted:

I'm cautious about the premise of the book, I however, cannot get over the Spidermobile. It seems so stupid, watching Ultimate Spider-Man on Netflix with the Spider-cycle shows why this is such a stupid idea. He doesn't need a goddamn Spider-Mobile, he's loving Spider Man. gently caress.

The Spidermobile is the best precisely because it's the dumbest loving idea in the world. Didn't it initially only pop up a couple of times so they could sell a toy and it consistently got wrecked because Peter Parker is a godawful driver?

• Locked thread