Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Xarthor posted:

Speaking of Amy Winehouse, I read recently that they're repressing Frank. It's coming out the end of next month, if I'm remembering correctly.
The RSD release had a "FIRST PRESSING" sticker, I had no doubt. It probably won't have the mask and it probably won't be all pretty and green.

My friend body-checked me on the way to getting a copy on RSD. I couldn't be mad. Especially after hearing the full version of Frank's Most Popular Song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caligulamprey posted:

The RSD release had a "FIRST PRESSING" sticker, I had no doubt. It probably won't have the mask and it probably won't be all pretty and green.

My friend body-checked me on the way to getting a copy on RSD. I couldn't be mad. Especially after hearing the full version of Frank's Most Popular Song.

There's a lot going on in this post.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I keep my records pristine by shunning everyone and refusing to make friends.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I picked up an absolutely pristine first pressing of The Replacements Sorry Ma, Forgot To Take Out The Trash at my local store the other day. I saw it pop up on their website so I went after work. Couldn't find it on the shelves so I asked the clerk and she brought it out and said it was being held for someone else. I was pretty defeated but hey, that's how things go. She was ringing up my other records and the manager asked if I wanted it. He said that the dude that had it on reserve was a total douchebag and he really didn't like him - didn't get too into the details but apparently he would even send his mom into the store to browbeat the staff, hell if I know. Anyway he said he would take the heat for it and it was mine if I wanted it (for $30, which was the icing on the cake).

lovely for the guy that reserved it and I hope they don't lose any business but his loss is my gain. I guess the lesson to be learned here is don't be a douchebag.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
Even if he is a douchebag, that is super unprofessional on the managers part.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I don't particularly disagree, but the waiting list is pretty informal and no money is put down or anything so it's not some egregious retail sin. I don't really begrudge a bit of comeuppance meted out from a retail worker getting poo poo upon. If I was the owner and this affected the bottom line I'd be pretty upset but catering to lovely customers isn't always the best policy either.

Moral conundrums aside, I got a sweet new record.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Barry posted:

I picked up an absolutely pristine first pressing of The Replacements Sorry Ma, Forgot To Take Out The Trash at my local store the other day. I saw it pop up on their website so I went after work. Couldn't find it on the shelves so I asked the clerk and she brought it out and said it was being held for someone else. I was pretty defeated but hey, that's how things go. She was ringing up my other records and the manager asked if I wanted it. He said that the dude that had it on reserve was a total douchebag and he really didn't like him - didn't get too into the details but apparently he would even send his mom into the store to browbeat the staff, hell if I know. Anyway he said he would take the heat for it and it was mine if I wanted it (for $30, which was the icing on the cake).

lovely for the guy that reserved it and I hope they don't lose any business but his loss is my gain. I guess the lesson to be learned here is don't be a douchebag.

If I had to venture a guess I'd say that that particular customer is one he isn't looking to keep.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I bet that vertical table wouldn't even let me watch the animated picture disc side of wonder where we land by sbtrkt

It would be pretty funny to watch a dj play a joke set on a pair of them though.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jul 1, 2015

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

stay depressed posted:

let's set aside the idea of using hipster as a pejorative while posting in a thread about vinyl collecting

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

SeXReX posted:

It would be pretty funny to watch a dj play a joke set on a pair of them though.

How?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

In space, where your inferior gravity-based turntable will fail.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Boinks posted:

Check out what arrived today!

Transylvanian Flashback Black & White Swirl limited to 500 copies.

That's awesome! Glad you like it! (disclaimer: I'm one of the owners of the label)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't usually post in this subforum, but I've been thinking for getting into vinyl collecting for awhile. I never have much money but I'm pretty sure I can get a record player for Christmas and make it my main hobby. Is it worth it if I'm mostly into modern stuff? I like older acts too, but not too awfully much. There's a good several of records I want from acts I really like, but I'm not sure on it's sustainability of it(ie even if people keep making records none of the people I like will).

I love flea marketing though, so record hunting would be a good addition to that too and I might end up finding some of the older stuff I like.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

That's awesome! Glad you like it! (disclaimer: I'm one of the owners of the label)

Can you also start a video publishing label and release the movie?

WickedHate posted:

I don't usually post in this subforum, but I've been thinking for getting into vinyl collecting for awhile. I never have much money but I'm pretty sure I can get a record player for Christmas and make it my main hobby. Is it worth it if I'm mostly into modern stuff? I like older acts too, but not too awfully much. There's a good several of records I want from acts I really like, but I'm not sure on it's sustainability of it(ie even if people keep making records none of the people I like will).

I love flea marketing though, so record hunting would be a good addition to that too and I might end up finding some of the older stuff I like.

Run, run for your life and never look back.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

WickedHate posted:

Start with this album:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

interpunct posted:

Start with this album:

Who would pay that much for this or any record? Does it also suck your dick and give you the ability to fly?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Who would pay that much for this or any record? Does it also suck your dick and give you the ability to fly?

I would buy that.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The new Jack White album has a built in jetpack fleshlight

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Snowy posted:

Its hidden in one of the gatefolds

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

WickedHate posted:

Is it worth it if I'm mostly into modern stuff? I like older acts too, but not too awfully much. There's a good several of records I want from acts I really like, but I'm not sure on it's sustainability of it(ie even if people keep making records none of the people I like will).

It's fun if you dont like having money or space in your home.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Giga Gaia posted:

It's fun if you dont like having money or space in your home.

That doesn't sound fun. :sigh:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Snowy posted:

only JW album I would buy

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

WickedHate posted:

What bands are you into?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you want to get into vinyl it's like $400 for a decent table that will last you ages, then (at a rough guess) $500 for a decent speaker setup or $70 for amazing headphones. $20 for a good brush.

Then you are looking at $15 to $40 for stock standard releases by new bands and reissues

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BigFactory posted:

What bands are you into?

It's a hard question because a lot of what I like is in wildly different genres. The records I know I want to get right now are by Mystery Skulls, Nicki Minaj, Dio, a bunch of Black Keys stuff, Eminem, Kanye, Arctic Monkeys, and the Protomen. Also The Alan Parson's Project and Carpenter Brut, but goddamn their albums are expensive as hell on wax. I'd find more if I really went looking for if they put anything out on vinyl or not.

Look at it, it's so...so beautiful...

Yes, they also released it on cassette.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 2, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

bowmore posted:

If you want to get into vinyl it's like $400 for a decent table that will last you ages, then (at a rough guess) $500 for a decent speaker setup or $70 for amazing headphones. $20 for a good brush.

Then you are looking at $15 to $40 for stock standard releases by new bands and reissues

Don't listen to that guy. $400 gets you the vertical record player that has speakers built in and the dust falls off it so you don't need a brush unless you live in Alaska and if that's the case holy poo poo look out.

And I don't pay more than $2 for records but I really like babs and Mitch Mitchell and poo poo.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
I got a used Technics SL-1700 off eBay for like 90 bucks :shrug:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah you also find a used record player but it depends where you live, I have no chance of finding anything better quality than the $400 vertical player or $30 grocery store usb converter player

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

bowmore posted:

Yeah you also find a used record player but it depends where you live, I have no chance of finding anything better quality than the $400 vertical player or $30 grocery store usb converter player

I bet that's not true.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BigFactory posted:

I bet that's not true.
I don't live in America if that helps

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

bowmore posted:

I don't live in America if that helps

Do you live in the Australian outback?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BigFactory posted:

Do you live in the Australian outback?
Kinda

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Is Big Storm still popular there?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Flaggy posted:

Its hidden in one of the gatefolds

I'm just waiting for Jack White to hire Chris Ware to do album covers.

(McSweeney's Quarterly Concern #13, for instance, had a dust cover that was actually a folded broadsheet with two small funny papers hidden in the folds.)

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm just waiting for Jack White to hire Chris Ware to do album covers.

(McSweeney's Quarterly Concern #13, for instance, had a dust cover that was actually a folded broadsheet with two small funny papers hidden in the folds.)

If I was in a band I'd hire Mad Magazine to do a fold-in on one of the gatefold covers. Then I'd watch all the vinyl nerds turn themselves in knots trying to decide whether to fold-in and see the joke or keep the jacket pristine. :getin:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The best was the rolling paper included in Big Bambu.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

WickedHate posted:

Also The Alan Parson's Project and Carpenter Brut, but goddamn their albums are expensive as hell on wax

:laugh:
Go to any record store/thrift shop and just start looking through their most neglected bins on the floor and you'll strike gold

Got a $10 Harmon Kardon amp and some decent canadian made speakers at a garage sale then scored a wicked $5 Sansui double auto reverse cassette deck and then my neighbor grabbed a Sansui auto return out of the alley someone was tossing while I was out of town(dustcover included!) Cleaned it up, put the belt back on a swapped out for an old cartridge I had laying around but still sounds fine and now my garage is blasting the dirty LPs/45s and tapes on a pretty cool $15 setup

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
picked up both the albums by Polyrock (the rock band Philip Glass produced back in the early 80s) from a domestic Discogs seller and dude tried to charge me $20 to ship 2 records within the US of States; I asked him why it cost so much and the entirety of his response (aside from dropping the shipping down to $6.50) was "oops!"

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i bought lovely by the primitives

the price was 1 pokemon silver card

Davincie fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Xarthor posted:

If I was in a band I'd hire Mad Magazine to do a fold-in on one of the gatefold covers. Then I'd watch all the vinyl nerds turn themselves in knots trying to decide whether to fold-in and see the joke or keep the jacket pristine. :getin:

Chances are people would buy 2 copies. Hey I think you're onto something!