Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

ultramiraculous posted:

even for creepier advertising, your name is hardly a unique identifier.

sure, if you were white

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

and that's why you have the robot in glacial speed mode and someone with their hand over the emergency stop when teaching a robot. and why you loving lockout tagout poo poo when you do not absolutely need it to move.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

born on a buy you posted:

a dude has to google what fireflies were

???

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

http://www.courtnewsuk.co.uk/?news_id=41321

Uber driver charged with rape: actually I'm the victim here, she raped me!

my anti-uber and anti-white people urges are conflicting here. i don't know who to assume is guilty without any evidence :-(

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Condiv posted:

california is now making uber carry primary insurance on all drivers logged in to the app, not just those with passengers in their car. it also forbids uber's "try to get your insurance to pay for it first" shenanigans

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/california-forces-uber-rivals-bolster-insurance/

“I think it’s smart to stay out of the limelight so they don’t decide to target drivers and somehow get more money out of us,” says Doree Kaplan, a San Diego resident waiting on approval to drive for Uber.

isn't withholding information from your insurance company, like, the definition of insurance fraud

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

As a Millennial I posted:

“I think it’s smart to stay out of the limelight so they don’t decide to target drivers and somehow get more money out of us,” says Doree Kaplan, a San Diego resident waiting on approval to drive for Uber.

isn't withholding information from your insurance company, like, the definition of insurance fraud

especially as just about every insurance provider now explicitly asks about uber/lyft when you sign up or change your policy.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

they're little bugs that can light up their butts with phosphorescence during the night to attract mates.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

don't stop I'm almost there

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

fits my needs posted:

subjunctive is gonna need an extended magnet rubbing session after this blowback!

did u know: TMS, in addition to being a highly effective treatment for clinical depression, can also be used to disable the part of your brain responsible for not being a psychopath

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 2, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

I think that it is a reasonable thing for a service to say that they want people to use their real names. It is not an uncommon thing in the world, and most such cases have a much more stringent definition. By real name I mean the name you use when introducing yourself to someone when you meet them, for example.

in real life, pseudonyms and careful control of information disclosure are completely normal

on facebook they are banned

Subjunctive posted:

I think that the real name policy does contribute to a better system, and we have some evidence that it does. Others may doubt it or believe that number of friends would matter more or whatever; I can't share the underlying data, so agree to disagree I guess.

it makes the system more appealing to advertisers. that is the only sense in which any kind of name verification is valuable.

(hell, our very posting subverts your argument: if radical openness and real names are intrinsically valuable to end-users why the hell isn't your SA nick a direct reference to your real name?)

this could not more clearly be a case of a man not understanding something when his salary depends upon not understanding it

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
tbf it's less that "advertisers want your real name so they can target directly to you" and more other stuff, like having "personal" recommendations from your friends for a brand makes you more likely to also buy a thing vs. weed lord bonerhitler or w/e

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

uncurable mlady posted:

tbf it's less that "advertisers want your real name so they can target directly to you" and more other stuff, like having "personal" recommendations from your friends for a brand makes you more likely to also buy a thing vs. weed lord bonerhitler or w/e

real name doesn't matter at all to me as an advertiser. at all. the only people who really care that much are the super ultra high end luxury and real estate brands who are trying to get bill gates jr. to buy $250,000,000 alligator skin speedboats.

the friends network thing, again we don't need real name, it's all just on their graph. i'm not sure i can even advertise to friends of my target, because that's a pretty huge waste. you'd want to spend your money advertising to more people that are in your target. you don't advertise BMW to friends of people who like BMW on facebook, you advertise to people who like BMW.

edit: if you're thinking of the Sponsored/Promoted "Tori CMOS likes PTownDownLow.com" posts on your page, that's just 'advertise to friends of people who like this page' but that poo poo is terrible and the only people who use it are idiots because it performs like poo poo. and again, the advertiser gets no info whatsoever on anybody they're advertising to.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Subjunctive posted:

I think that the real name policy does contribute to a better system, and we have some evidence that it does. Others may doubt it or believe that number of friends would matter more or whatever; I can't share the underlying data, so agree to disagree I guess. In my direct and indirect interactions with LGBT and mental health groups (in the US and elsewhere) on the topic, the issue is virtually always "people are trying to use the name they feel is their real name and FB doesn't have a way of them proving it if challenged" and not "please let people use arbitrary pseudonyms". That is a real issue, it's one we need to address, it falls down in cases (sort of) like Zoe's, and it's one that I personally put energy into. Using people's social graph is something that comes up a lot, but it's hard to distinguish "social circle vouching for Jane Lightning" and "co-conspirators validating an Anita Sarkeesian impersonation account". Not to say it's impossible, but there aren't a lot of "well just X" simple approaches that haven't been explored.

i guess i don't get why 'take people's word for it' isn't 'proof' enough for facebook in cases where there's no abuse happening. if i change my name to 'Iskandar Salah ad-Din' because i've decided to run off an join isil or whatever and i don't want my mom to find out (she was raised in a weird apocalyptic catholic sect and she would totally not approve) i don't get how it's to facebook's benefit to demand i show them a magazine subscription in that name or shut down my account. you're just gonna alienate me from the service. if i change my name to 'Said Arif' and plaster my profile with isil propaganda and start flirting with damaged western teens and someone reports me as not the real isil leader then sure demand i reveal my subscription to mujahideen monthly. if people are just reporting me out of some sort of puritanism or jealousy that i totally get to personally dismantle ancient ruins in palmyra then why can't fb's policy be 'gently caress your jealousy, live and let live'?

how does facebook benefit in any way from an adversarial 'real name' policy? when does the bad press and the negative user experience and the guilt of the total lack of institutional empathy force fb to abandon their automatic assume abuse policy?

can you do something about all the super obnoxious 'jamesandstephanie jones' and chrisandamy stevens' accounts littering my friends list? why are like 75% of my friends using laughably fake names that fb doesn't seem to give a poo poo about? is your enforcement that lovely? or maybe triggering real name reviews on report is the real abuse? why is facebook so institutionally austistic?

the talent deficit fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 2, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

the talent deficit posted:

i guess i don't get why 'take people's word for it' isn't 'proof' enough for facebook in cases where there's no abuse happening. if i change my name to 'Iskandar Salah ad-Din' because i've decided to run off an join isil or whatever and i don't want my mom to find out (she was raised in a weird apocalyptic catholic sect and she would totally not approve) i don't get how it's to facebook's benefit to demand i show them a magazine subscription in that name or shut down my account. you're just gonna alienate me from the service. if i change my name to 'Said Arif' and plaster my profile with isil propaganda and start flirting with damaged western teens and someone reports me as not the real isil leader then sure demand i reveal my subscription to mujahideen monthly. if people are just reporting me out of some sort of puritanism or jealousy that i totally get to personally dismantle ancient ruins in palmyra then why can't fb's policy be 'gently caress your jealousy, live and let live'?

how does facebook benefit in any way from an adversarial 'real name' policy? when does the bad press and the negative user experience and the guilt of the total lack of institutional empathy force fb to abandon their automatic assume abuse policy?

your eyes and posts are a product and they can't mine your poo poo if you are loving around with nom de plumes

can we stop this already

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Jonny 290 posted:

your eyes and posts are a product and they can't mine your poo poo if you are loving around with nom de plumes

can we stop this already

isn't this the thread to talk about how silicon valley is totally bad and stupid? is there a reason discussing reasons facebook is totally bad and stupid doesn't belong here?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i watched the first episode of "silicon valley" recently and my strongest response was that the show did not poo poo on ~*~the tech industry~*~ nearly as hard as it could or should have

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

(hell, our very posting subverts your argument: if radical openness and real names are intrinsically valuable to end-users why the hell isn't your SA nick a direct reference to your real name?)

Do you know what intrinsic means? Did you try to think of any answers at all to this stupid question before you posted it?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
like i'm not saying the series was trying to champion it, i know it's a lampoon, i just don't think they were nearly as vicious as they should have been

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

at the date posted:

Did you try to think of any answers at all to this stupid question before you posted it?

did you

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Facebook ideally wants a 1:1 map between a person and an account (with maybe some exceptions for celebrities I dunno). this is because companies buy promoted posts and want those impressions to be displayed to real people. now you also have click farms (people also buy likes on the 'black' market. this is also against the TOS) liking a whole bunch of things to appear legitimate. those impressions are now being wasted and those accounts wont 'engage with your brand'.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

How's this one: because I don't know any of you, nor do I want to.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the real name thing would be a lot less objectionable if facebook's :smaug: datapile for you were treated the same way as a credit reporting agency - with the ability to demand a copy of it, file corrections, get notifications of adverse actions due to it (pricing, etc), and with the ability to freeze it to prevent any access to any information about you beyond "yup, that person exists".

actually you know what? gently caress that. we need HIPAA level protections for all personally identifiable information no matter the use or source. burn all "big data" companies to the ground.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

actually you know what? gently caress that. we need HIPAA level protections for all personally identifiable information no matter the use or source. burn all "big data" companies to the ground.
bbut innovation

this is why the eff and everybody quit the FTC's face recognition board, the marketing and gov't representatives could literally not imagine a universe where there were even the most basic privacy protections

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shifty Pony posted:

and that's why you have the robot in glacial speed mode and someone with their hand over the emergency stop when teaching a robot. and why you loving lockout tagout poo poo when you do not absolutely need it to move.

yeah when i worked at a semiconductor fab we had a guy get thrown through a wall by a robot, turned out he was defeating like 3 safety interlocks intentionally

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Ah yes, I'd like to request an agency panel review of the tags on a video of a terrier raping a chicken. I appear nowhere in this video; neither does Bethany Davis, even though she IS a total slut.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cause suicide is painful
all they'll recover is your ankle
and you just shut down this assembly liiiiiine

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

like i'm not saying the series was trying to champion it, i know it's a lampoon, i just don't think they were nearly as vicious as they should have been

the best part of silicon valley is that it's a pretty accurate portrayal and that still makes a bunch of people horrified/mad

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

burn all "big data" companies to the ground.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shifty Pony posted:

the real name thing would be a lot less objectionable if facebook's :smaug: datapile for you were treated the same way as a credit reporting agency - with the ability to demand a copy of it, file corrections, get notifications of adverse actions due to it (pricing, etc), and with the ability to freeze it to prevent any access to any information about you beyond "yup, that person exists".

my firm was picked by the silicon valley innovation center to be the engineer of record for high tech civil infrastructure design and implementation

among other things, we are going to be responsible for installing radar detectors for traffic signals in the bay area

this is an improvement over the older induction loop detectors b/c they're more accurate, cheaper to maintain, and are able to make traffic measurements available to the traffic control center in realtime

traffic measurements are things like determining the speed of vehicles traveling through the intersection, vehicle counts which include type, and automatic tracking of each vehicle as they travel through the camera network via their unique radar silhouettes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
but don't worry; city and private traffic engineers only want to persistently track your car in order to determine trip generation patterns and local traffic peaks and to sell to data collection companies for a little extra scratch

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

but don't worry; city and private traffic engineers only want to persistently track your car in order to determine trip generation patterns and local traffic peaks and to sell to data collection companies for a little extra scratch

parkifi's office is literally 150 feet from here. surprised me when i walked past it yesterday

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kwinkles posted:

yeah when i worked at a semiconductor fab we had a guy get thrown through a wall by a robot, turned out he was defeating like 3 safety interlocks intentionally

maybe its because i actually program sensors for those robots but i'm always terrified to step over the giant red line even with the loving pendant

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

how did they manufacture the first microprocessor anyway. this is some chicken and egg poo poo

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

time travel, terminator was a documentary

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Shifty Pony posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8b4xYbEugo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

traffic measurements are things like determining the speed of vehicles traveling through the intersection, vehicle counts which include type, and automatic tracking of each vehicle as they travel through the camera network via their unique radar silhouettes

all these really need to do is keep all directions red until a gridlocked intersection is clear

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Necc0 posted:

close the convo and open it back up again

hey it works :)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

all these really need to do is keep all directions red until a gridlocked intersection is clear

there's an area of each approach to a signalized intersection called the dilemma zone

instead of using a timer and traffic statistics and math to determine how long the yellow phase should be set for a light, these radar detectors can calculate it on the fly for each car (and adjust yellow times accordingly) which improves red light running and the crash rate, particularly rear enders

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
if there are software engineers then can I become a healthcare engineer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

there's an area of each approach to a signalized intersection called the dilemma zone

instead of using a timer and traffic statistics and math to determine how long the yellow phase should be set for a light, these radar detectors can calculate it on the fly for each car (and adjust yellow times accordingly) which improves red light running and the crash rate, particularly rear enders

it'll be funny to see whatever quaint rich town you're installing this in rebel against actual data

"we could redesign this awful intersection but adding a stoplight raises some concerns about the character of our lovely exburb I'm trying to pretend is an actual community"

when they added the first stoplight in fairfax there were actual protests because they were proud of previously not having any

• Locked thread