Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

What have I gotten myself into here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
One of the buggiest NIS releases ever, among other things.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Anime bullshit to the highest degree.

And some fairly good games.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

iastudent posted:

Why didn't you get the special edition for the first game?

Unacceptable!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Delsaber posted:

There is at least an HD version now, but that's maybe not a huge help since it's just remastering a lot of really old assets.

At least it's free and open source now, so I'll give it a go. Is this what Star Citizen is trying to emulate, besides just taking a lot of people's money?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Delsaber posted:

One of my dumb little impossible hopes is that Sega will eventually hand Phantasy Star off to Atlus and let them mess with it for a while. Who knows what would happen after that, but it couldn't any worse than Sega's own handling of the franchise or all those lovely Tri-Ace portable versions built on the lifeless husk of PSU.

Atlus would probably just make new games based on PSO2's waifu-bait theme because of how associated it is with PS now. :smith:

Nate RFB posted:

I'm not sure there are any ongoing JRPG franchises I feel invested in anymore, I'll just play whatever is getting talked up these days. Maaaaybe kinda sorta whatever Atlus is doing on a given day?
That was Trigger. He developed ulcers from overwork and Uematsu had in step in for a few tracks.

I haven't played a jRPG made in about 10 or so years. Everything I've played is from the 8, 16 and 32-bit eras.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chrono Cross' plot makes sense, it's just really light and bloated with unimportant stuff.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

iastudent posted:

I thought the first one was pretty fun. Good soundtracks too.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Ar Tonelico is okay though the gameplay is not that engaging.

Ar Tonelico 2 has better gameplay and quite possibly the worst professional translation I have ever seen in any game, plus numerous nasty bugs.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Level up through use of hot springs that's what you got!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Nakar posted:

Ar Tonelico 2 has better gameplay and quite possibly the worst professional translation I have ever seen in any game, plus numerous nasty bugs.

Worse than Wild Arms 2?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

The Taint Reaper posted:

Worse than Wild Arms 2?
NISA's AT2 is basically the Duwang of JRPGs, to make a comparison.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

closeted republican posted:

I haven't played a jRPG made in about 10 or so years. Everything I've played is from the 8, 16 and 32-bit eras.

You should really play Radiant Historia, The World Ends with You, and Persona 4.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

exquisite tea posted:

At least it's free and open source now, so I'll give it a go. Is this what Star Citizen is trying to emulate, besides just taking a lot of people's money?

I think Star Citizen is trying to be more like Elite or Freelancer or Battlecruiser 3000 or a bad pyramid scheme, while Star Control has always kinda been its own thing. There are bits and pieces of Star Control in other games - Escape Velocity's combat, Mass Effect 2's resource gathering - but nothing I've seen has really tried to imitate it completely.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Delsaber posted:

There are bits and pieces of Star Control in other games - Escape Velocity's combat, Mass Effect 2's resource gathering - but nothing I've seen has really tried to imitate it completely.
There are bits and pieces of Starflight in Star Control.
There was also Captain Blood http://www.mobygames.com/game/captain-blood
A French game where you roam the galaxy asking aliens about sex. It had a sequel.

Space Rangers is modern-ish and close to the concept, but it gets really difficult to manage your personal business and the global war.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

exquisite tea posted:

Cross-posted from Steam thread:

Is there any modern-ish RPG that's like Solar Winds? As in, you just fly around in your spaceship talking to aliens and solving problems while chill music plays in the background and you look at the pretty space graphics? I've already played the entire Mass Effect trilogy -- I'm thinking something more dialogue heavy, with less focus on combat.

Precursors still has plenty of combat but it also has cool aliens and planets to explore

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Atlus would probably just make new games based on PSO2's waifu-bait theme because of how associated it is with PS now. :smith:

Play Opoona you fucker!!!

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Go for Lisa: The Painful actually. It's similar to Nier and Earthbound, and it has an interesting atmosphere to traverse through.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I advise you to play Star Control 2 with all haste.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Delsaber posted:

I think Star Citizen is trying to be more like Elite or Freelancer or Battlecruiser 3000 or a bad pyramid scheme, while Star Control has always kinda been its own thing. There are bits and pieces of Star Control in other games - Escape Velocity's combat, Mass Effect 2's resource gathering - but nothing I've seen has really tried to imitate it completely.

Yeah, it seems like all modern space sim games just miss the mark for me. Just give me a little ship to upgrade, aliens to talk to, and a vast galaxy to explore without all the spreadsheet bullshit and boring-rear end resource management. Be chill, no need for a thousand laser guns.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Play all jrpgs, as they are the best genre.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So if enough people pre-order Zestria on Steam, all pre-orders will get a lot of the costume DLC plus a free copy of Symphonia. I'm normally against preordering but that's kinda neat.

EDIT: Here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/351970/

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, it seems like all modern space sim games just miss the mark for me. Just give me a little ship to upgrade, aliens to talk to, and a vast galaxy to explore without all the spreadsheet bullshit and boring-rear end resource management. Be chill, no need for a thousand laser guns.

Space Rangers 2. That's what you want.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tales of Symphonia is heading to PC. Not the Tales game I would've chosen to introduce people to the series but I'm glad more Japanese RPGs are hopping on the bandwagon.

corn in the bible posted:

Precursors still has plenty of combat but it also has cool aliens and planets to explore

The Star Wolves series is also pretty good. It totally has that East European Quality Assurance but they're straight space opera RPGs. Darkstar One also scratched that Freelancer itch.

I'm totally with you guys. The late 80s/early 90s was just a torrent of epic space games. Space Rogue, Elite, Starglider 2, Star Control, Starflight, Privateer, Centauri Alliance with its loving hexagonal map, Planet's Edge, Protostar, Whale's Voyage, MegaTraveller, and more. Bring that poo poo back with modern technology.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

piranha bytes (gothic, risen) have announced an open world post-apocalyptic science fantasy (jeez) game called elex for pc, xbox one and ps4 and its going to be at gamescom

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Cake Attack posted:

The genre of Kings.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

al-azad posted:

Tales of Symphonia is heading to PC. Not the Tales game I would've chosen to introduce people to the series but I'm glad more Japanese RPGs are hopping on the bandwagon.

Well, Zestiria is coming out first so that's going to be the introduction to the series. It's probably going to be a bad port but hopefully some nerd will fix it within a month or two.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Worse than Wild Arms 2?

If Ar Tonelico 2 is the one where a technical problem with character fonts forces you to beat a boss before one of its scripted events occurs in order to prevent a crash, yes. Hilariously bad lines can't beat "we hosed up so hard that we broke the game."

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 3, 2015

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I forget the exact reason for the crash, but it's related to some text or a sound file for a certain lategame boss's super attack which she will always use on a certain turn. Because the game tries to pull something that I guess doesn't exist or wasn't translated and the system hardlocks. So you have to defeat her before she uses that attack.

But seriously the translation is just such utter goddamn nonsense. The dialogue doesn't even read like a human being wrote it. It doesn't sound like English but the sentence structure barely resembles Japanese either.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cake Attack posted:

I unironically had fun playing Hyper Dimension Neptunia. But then again I like to sit there and grind at my leisure as long as the game doesn't force me to do so.

al-azad posted:

Really? I always thought it was the first Tales game that really got it a lot of fresh interest since not a lot of them were localized prior but after that a bunch of them started coming over.

Anyway to break up JRPG chat for a second, I started playing through Dragon Age: Origins on PC for the first time since it's the only Bioware game I've ever managed to enjoy.

I've been getting a lot of glitches with NPCs just vanishing mid cutscene and whatever my character is doing with his arms here. I'm beginning to think playing as a Dwarf Wizard broke the game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Nuebot posted:

Really? I always thought it was the first Tales game that really got it a lot of fresh interest since not a lot of them were localized prior but after that a bunch of them started coming over.

While that's partly true, it's also one of, like, 2-3 good RPGs on the Gamecube so everyone who was stuck with that in the PS2 era has inordinately fond memories of it. I mean, it's not a bad game, but it hasn't aged all that well.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Clarste posted:

While that's partly true, it's also one of, like, 2-3 good RPGs on the Gamecube so everyone who was stuck with that in the PS2 era has inordinately fond memories of it. I mean, it's not a bad game, but it hasn't aged all that well.

It's still the only Tales game I've finished at any rate. So there's that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Clarste posted:

Four, at least. Baten Kaitos (Isn't one of them good, one bad?), Skies of Arcadia Legends, Lost Kingdoms II, and Tales of Symphonia.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

both baten kaitos are good, but the first is more the interestingly flawed kinda good

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cake Attack posted:

both baten kaitos are good, but the first is more the interestingly flawed kinda good

Ah, gotcha.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Clarste posted:

The gamecube had like less than 10 exclusive RPGs.
Baiten Kaitos 1
Baiten Kaitos 2
Lost Kingdoms 1
Lost Kingdoms 2
Thousand Year Door
Tales of Symphonia
Fire Emblem
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 3, 2015

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Nuebot posted:

I'm beginning to think playing as a Dwarf Wizard broke the game.

Certainly breaks the lore! :v: (cue goonsay explanation for dwarf wizards in DA:Origins)

I want to chime in about Escape Velocity, which I remember being a stellar (:v:) entry in the open-world space sim genre. It was the first game of that type that I played, so I might have some nostalgia goggles, but Escape Velocity: Nova is an incredibly solid game. You start as a no-name pilot and forge your own destiny through a branching storyline. Want to trade and dick around fighting pirates? Go ahead. Want to become a pirate and prey on the weak? loving do it. Want to be inducted into a new culture, piloting a ship created and upgraded with a physical manifestation of your will? Right this way, sirrah. Graphics won't knock your socks off, but it'll run on pretty much any system that has power these days. Looking it up now I see that it's not on Steam and selling for $30 off the developer's website, which is a crime as far as I'm concerned. I think they'd see a nice boost in profits if the re-released it through Valve for something closer to $10, but I don't get to make those decisions.

If you are looking for a good space trading game that doesn't sacrifice content for graphics, look toward Escape Velocity: Nova.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

The gamecube had like less than 10 exclusive RPGs.
Baiten Kaitos 1
Baiten Kaitos 2
Lost Kingdoms 1
Lost Kingdoms 2
Thousand Year Door
Tales of Symphonia
Fire Emblem
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness

Skies of Arcadia was still better than most of those. I'm still hoping they'll port it over to steam like they did a few other dreamcast games.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

If you are looking for a good space trading game that doesn't sacrifice content for graphics, look toward Escape Velocity: Nova.

There's also a really devout modding scene to it if you somehow ever get tired of the main content. Star Wars, Star Trek, Star-whatever, it's all there.

Still astounds me that the devs haven't tried going through Steam or even making their prices more in tune with the times. I wish I still had my copy but not for another $30.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Nuebot posted:

Skies of Arcadia was still better than most of those. I'm still hoping they'll port it over to steam like they did a few other dreamcast games.

Better yet, don't port it just make a sequel.

It was strange that baten Kaitos 1 got a special edition that was exclusively sold at TRU where as the sequel didn't get jack squat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

iastudent posted:

There's also a really devout modding scene to it if you somehow ever get tired of the main content. Star Wars, Star Trek, Star-whatever, it's all there.

Still astounds me that the devs haven't tried going through Steam or even making their prices more in tune with the times. I wish I still had my copy but not for another $30.

Ambrosia hails from a very specific period in the 90s when shareware was on the decline but digital marketplaces had yet to emerge, so I guess anyone developing games of that scale, especially on the Mac, could kinda arbitrarily pull prices out of thin air and get away with it. Maybe developers like that just never catch up, or never feel the need to bother. For what it's worth I think Ambrosia long since switched entirely to mobile app development.

It's a shame too because while I doubt they really move too many copies of Escape Velocity: Nova at $30 a pop in 2015 via their website alone, they could probably do really well for themselves on Steam cutting the price to $10 or $15, especially now that space sandbox games are resurgent. Feels like they're leaving money on the table. I for one would buy it again at that price and with Steam support in a hot second.

If you're looking for something similar to Nova that is on Steam and is also only about $15, I've heard good things about VoidExpanse.