Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Skoll posted:

https://www.full30.com/video/dc1c563aa6b106f252dfe6a9d91ffd94

I think this is clearly self defense, but would an officer get investigated, put on leave, etc for emptying what looked like a full magazine into this guy?

It looked like he only fired 5 or 6 shots (out of a magazine that probably holds 13ish) but the strobe taclight just makes it look like he's autofiring on the guy.

edit: looks like closer to 7-8 shots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Skoll posted:

https://www.full30.com/video/dc1c563aa6b106f252dfe6a9d91ffd94

I think this is clearly self defense, but would an officer get investigated, put on leave, etc for emptying what looked like a full magazine into this guy?

Usually administrative leave for officer involved in a shooting takes as long as the internal investigation and sometimes the local prosecutors review of the case to be done. It's department dependent though. How many rounds you fire isn't usually what determines one thing or another, but it can. Was a good shoot, and the officer in that video shot maybe 9-10 rounds tops? The other bangs are from the other officer. Not a full magazine dump.

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010
Aside from letting that guy get in the crossfire good shoot. Should have just done a pat down in the bathroom.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

POV of the other officer. Looks like in the heat of the moment she pulled a taser at first https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSiqfM2GR4E

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Basticle posted:

POV of the other officer. Looks like in the heat of the moment she pulled a taser at first https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSiqfM2GR4E

one less dirtbag :hellyeah:

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
You guys would have nothing to do if alcohol didn't exist.

Thank god it does though!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

Basticle posted:

She probably didn't need to shoot there at the end but that was a pretty good under stress holster taser and draw gun.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

She didn't need to not shoot either. :getin:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Oh my god, watching that video is loving surreal. The whole time I was thinking, "Man, that voice sounds familiar... man, that place looks really familiar!"

Turns out, that's the shooting that went down in my town last month. The male officer is a friend of mine, and he was just cleared for shooting. That dude tried to shoplift from Wal-Mart, got caught in the act, so he walked to a nearby restaurant where they found him. The weapon he pulled is a BB gun.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Captain Bravo posted:

Oh my god, watching that video is loving surreal. The whole time I was thinking, "Man, that voice sounds familiar... man, that place looks really familiar!"

Turns out, that's the shooting that went down in my town last month. The male officer is a friend of mine, and he was just cleared for shooting. That dude tried to shoplift from Wal-Mart, got caught in the act, so he walked to a nearby restaurant where they found him. The weapon he pulled is a BB gun.

Aww man, that's a bummer. I was hoping he was one of those guys that do those ridiculous close combat draws on YouTube and was just shown how bullshit they all are.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Dude was off his meds, there was a real shitstorm when his family got involved. But there's really no way to question Green's actions, like people are saying that was pretty much the textbook definition of a good shoot.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Captain Bravo posted:

Dude was off his meds, there was a real shitstorm when his family got involved. But there's really no way to question Green's actions, like people are saying that was pretty much the textbook definition of a good shoot.

What was the family's take?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

JayKay posted:

He was a good Christian boy who was just trying to get his life together, he never hurt nobody & he was about to go back to school.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Rad Lieutenant posted:

He was a good Christian boy who was just trying to get his life together, he never hurt nobody & he was about to go back to school.

"The family has hired an attorney and is considering an excessive force lawsuit against the officers and department".

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I don't think they will but lol that lawyer getting paaaid.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Thought I read that he was 47

A few weeks ago there was a officer involved shooting in a city near me and the newspaper article the next day had this deliciousness:

http://thecourier.com/local-news/2015/06/10/police-officer-shoots-kills-findlay-man/

quote:

The incident was Findlay’s first police shooting since June 30, 1999, when J. Scott Patterson, then 38, was wounded in the leg and stomach by two police officers after Patterson re­fused to put down a .45-caliber rifle at his Snow Trail Drive resi­dence. Neither officer was in­jured.

Before that, the last time a civilian was shot by a police officer was on Dec. 25, 1971, when the late Lt. Larry Joe Smith wounded a man dressed like Santa Claus during a break-in at the local AMVETS club. The in­truder, Terry L. Wright of Find­lay, survived the shooting, but was later murdered.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 3, 2015

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
I wonder if the .45 caliber rifle was some dumb hi point carbine or if dude was wielding like a trap door springfield in .45-70.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Oh man, I hope it was a Thompson :clint:

Basticle posted:

Thought I read that he was 47

Yeah but still

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

JayKay posted:

Basically, "It was just a BB gun, the officers weren't in actual danger and didn't need to use lethal force." I'm pretty sure they're not actually going to take it to court, because it would get shot down pretty fast, but they were still extremely pissed and made a big stink. Can't really blame them, either, since it's hard when a family member dies. Just a sad situation all around.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Hot take: its really hard to differentiate between a BB gun and a real gun and I'm not gonna wait and see what kind of projectile comes flying at me.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Hot take: its really hard to differentiate between a BB gun and a real gun and I'm not gonna wait and see what kind of projectile comes flying at me.

But you're a cop and you should be trained to tell the difference and also disarm the man without injury and why didn't they just shoot the BB GUN out of his hand :qq:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Rad Lieutenant posted:

But you're a cop and you should be trained to tell the difference and also disarm the man without injury and why didn't they just shoot the BB GUN out of his hand :qq:

You're not spinning it right, it's not a BB gun, it was just a toy. Why would the police shoot someone for carrying a toy of any kind?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
You forgot that he was only a kid :qq:

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

Captain Bravo posted:

Basically, "It was just a BB gun, the officers weren't in actual danger and didn't need to use lethal force." I'm pretty sure they're not actually going to take it to court, because it would get shot down pretty fast, but they were still extremely pissed and made a big stink. Can't really blame them, either, since it's hard when a family member dies. Just a sad situation all around.

I guarantee that about 30 seconds after the guy was pronounced dead and his name given to the media lawyers swarmed on the family to convince them to sue the department because they will just settle out of court for a nice check.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Branis posted:

I guarantee that about 30 seconds after the guy was pronounced dead and his name given to the media lawyers swarmed on the family to convince them to sue the department because they will just settle out of court for a nice check.

Can't stand that poo poo, and it happens all the time.

I've seen several perfectly dismissable and completely bullshit lawsuits settled because "welp, it's cheaper for the city to just settle instead of pay the lawyers". All that does is embolden the the sue happy people and give more fodder to the anti police movement. "Seeeee another lawsuit settled because they know they did wrong! :smug:". When in reality the city did a cost basis analysis to see if it was just cheaper to settle and hang the department/officer out to dry instead of paying for litigation.

Once cities start realizing they can counter sue after the cases are dismissed, things might turn around. Also you might get lucky and have a good prosecutors office. Ours just jacked a guy up on felony perjury charges for making an official sworn false complaint on an officer. :getin:.

Untagged fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 3, 2015

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Whip Slagcheek posted:

You should have been able to tell by the orange tip, murderer!

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Skoll posted:

You should have been able to tell by the orange tip, murderer!

Man I forget the exact circumstances but we got a safety advisory about a year ago about a dude who was arrested with a real working glock that he'd painted an orange tip onto :ohdear:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Man I forget the exact circumstances but we got a safety advisory about a year ago about a dude who was arrested with a real working glock that he'd painted an orange tip onto :ohdear:

I actually read awhile ago about some gangbangers who did that exact thing to their guns. Makes me wonder just how common it is.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Isn't that part of the reason some states/western countries are pushing to make toy guns be clear plastic and also have an orange tip. At least that's the reason I heard for California trying (succeeding?) to do that.

But anyway I was just thinking today how everyone in my shithole rural hometown hates copes despite the sherrif only showing up maybe twice a month at the most. Are there any county sherrif's in this thread. Is that a mostly rural area only thing or is that just everywhere and I'm the weird one for not hating police officers automatically.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I should probably add that after talking with somebody today, turned out I was slightly wrong in what I said. He wasn't off his meds, he was off the wagon. Dude was an alcoholic, and incredibly drunk when the incident happened. (Incidentally, the item he was stealing which got the cops called on him was a case of beer.)

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
good shoot

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm the weird one for not hating police officers automatically.

I hate most police officers automatically so yeah you're weird

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Larry Parrish posted:

Isn't that part of the reason some states/western countries are pushing to make toy guns be clear plastic and also have an orange tip. At least that's the reason I heard for California trying (succeeding?) to do that.

Indeed they did, SB-199, and you should have heard some of the try-hard airsofters explode about "MY IMMERSION!". From what I understand it just involves putting more strips of color on replicas like on the stock, grip, and trigger guard... which can still be replicated with paint and tape on real guns so I'm not sure how much this will solve.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
I didn't realize airsoft was a thing outside high school kids doing drive bys to be funny with them until the youtube rabbit hole led me to these types of nerds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHPqCzckVOk

They spend more money on fake guns and kit than 99% of real gun nerds spend on real guns and kit. The thing I don't get is none of them really look fat so they could enlist and do the real thing for free.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

There's so many different kinds of nerds these days :allears:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
What's worse, joining the army and dealing with all the retardedness it entails for however many years you sign your life away and come back with mental problems, or living with your mom into adulthood and being a pants pissing autist who tries to emulate being a mentally disturbed grizzled vet?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mike-o posted:

What's worse, joining the army and dealing with all the retardedness it entails for however many years you sign your life away and come back with mental problems, or living with your mom into adulthood and being a pants pissing autist who tries to emulate being a mentally disturbed grizzled vet?

Are you talking about that MARSOC guy who wasn't even American?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
No, but I should have been. God speed you fat British tranny banger, wherever you are :911:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I can't even find that thread anymore...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Oh, IDR, what a fantastic train wreck

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548716

• Locked thread