Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Tones are hosed again buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

northern queen inn by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

a church no more by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Tones are hosed again buddy.

looks fine to me

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Same.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

It's hard to emphasize how rare a camera this is, since Graflex convinced the Army to destroy their surplus to avoid flooding the market after WWII. It's probably not measured in anything more than "thousands of units" and probably realistically it's hundreds.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
So many loving issues... goddamn... this kid was at least happy to get a portrait but gently caress. One door closes... the other opens as far as problems goes.
Good ol' dust tank eh

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's hard to emphasize how rare a camera this is, since Graflex convinced the Army to destroy their surplus to avoid flooding the market after WWII. It's probably not measured in anything more than "thousands of units" and probably realistically it's hundreds.

Apparently the haliburton case it comes with is almost unheard of. I'm super pumped about using it!

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

what the gently caress posted:

So many loving issues... goddamn... this kid was at least happy to get a portrait but gently caress. One door closes... the other opens as far as problems goes.
Good ol' dust tank eh

Looks like you might need to be a bit more generous with your collodion pour, and be a bit quicker about it too. Either way it's a great shot.

Follow this guys technique, he's pretty great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXOseY7HxxU

Spedman fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 5, 2015

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
This is the real best thread in Dorkroom, just caught up the last few pages and basically everything there is great. I haven't shot anything in months and you all make me sad about that.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Spedman posted:

Looks like you might need to be a bit more generous with your collodion pour, and be a bit quicker about it too. Either way it's a great shot.

Follow this guys technique, he's pretty great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXOseY7HxxU

That's Zimmerman, yeah? I love his work.

So today I subbed the edges of the plates with albumen. I'd coated the whole plates before and that gave more issues, but just subbing the edges removed all the peeling issues in the fixer. I was also a lot more liberal with the collodion, as you suggested, but I must be putting it in the silver slightly too early.

This plate was a 4x5 that I was super happy with, but after the varnish all these little black dots appeared which I'm guessing are from not rinsing properly. They actually appear much worse in the scan than they are to the naked eye. Scans are pretty unforgiving. I think I'm too hesitant to pour water directly onto the plate. I've been just submersing the plate in a rinse tray for 20 mins with 4 changes of water. obviously need to hit the plate with direct water harder for longer because this next one, an 8x10, didn't have the black dots. I would have been stoked with this one if it weren't for the bottom right corner where I'm guessing the collodion hasn't dried enough and just slid off into the bath. I would absolutely love to get my hands on Potassium Cyanide. I think it would make my workflow so much easier. Gotta keep pestering DHHS for a permit :P

Still getting the hang of scanning them. It's tricky business. But the level of detail on these things is nuts. I've read about it a lot before but you never appreciate how amazing they are until you have one up close in your hands, the resolution is insane.

Onwards and upwards. I'm hooked though. On the plus side, my varnishing game is absolutely on point. Perfect smooth finish.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 5, 2015

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I'm thinking about getting into MF. Talk to me about Mamiya 7 w/ 65mm lens as opposed to Pentax 6x7 w/ 75mm lens. From what I can tell the Mamiya is half the weight for twice the price and it's a rangefinder. I like that it's half the weight as I'd be way more inclined to bring it along. The 5 lb 6x7 (with lens) seems a bit heavy. Also, the only place I can seem to find the Mamiya is eBay sellers located in Japan. I've never bought something on eBay from Japan. Are there any unexpected things I should look out for? Besides that are there any questions I should ask in general when buying gear on eBay?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Dren posted:

I'm thinking about getting into MF. Talk to me about Mamiya 7 w/ 65mm lens as opposed to Pentax 6x7 w/ 75mm lens. From what I can tell the Mamiya is half the weight for twice the price and it's a rangefinder. I like that it's half the weight as I'd be way more inclined to bring it along. The 5 lb 6x7 (with lens) seems a bit heavy. Also, the only place I can seem to find the Mamiya is eBay sellers located in Japan. I've never bought something on eBay from Japan. Are there any unexpected things I should look out for? Besides that are there any questions I should ask in general when buying gear on eBay?

my Pentax 6x7 came from japan. It's perfect.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
I got a Fuji GW690II from Japan and it was in perfect condition despite being a good bit cheaper than all the other ones on offer.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Dren posted:

When I bought my Mamiya 7 I watched the ebay prices for a month and the best deals seemed to come from Japan. I got lucky and found one locally in Australia but I have only heard positive things about cameras from Japan on ebay (as long as they have a good history, lots of photos etc).

If you are thinking about the Pentax 67 make sure you see one in person first, those things are huge. Good camera but probably even bigger than you would expect it to be.

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here

Dren posted:

I've bought a number of film cameras from Japanese sellers on e-bay. So far they have all been in better condition than advertised, and I have never had to wait more than a week for delivery on the East Coast of the U.S. The usual rules of checking feedback apply, and if you need to do a return it will obviously be a pain in the rear end, but in my experience the Japanese camera dealers on e-bay are solid, and they have some great deals on hard to find cameras.

To contribute to the thread:

Jax Beach Firey Sunrise Velvia GA645Zi June 2015 by noonebutme2010, on Flickr

I actually bought this camera from a Japanese dealer on e-bay.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

That's Zimmerman, yeah? I love his work.

So today I subbed the edges of the plates with albumen. I'd coated the whole plates before and that gave more issues, but just subbing the edges removed all the peeling issues in the fixer. I was also a lot more liberal with the collodion, as you suggested, but I must be putting it in the silver slightly too early.

This plate was a 4x5 that I was super happy with, but after the varnish all these little black dots appeared which I'm guessing are from not rinsing properly. They actually appear much worse in the scan than they are to the naked eye. Scans are pretty unforgiving. I think I'm too hesitant to pour water directly onto the plate. I've been just submersing the plate in a rinse tray for 20 mins with 4 changes of water. obviously need to hit the plate with direct water harder for longer because this next one, an 8x10, didn't have the black dots. I would have been stoked with this one if it weren't for the bottom right corner where I'm guessing the collodion hasn't dried enough and just slid off into the bath. I would absolutely love to get my hands on Potassium Cyanide. I think it would make my workflow so much easier. Gotta keep pestering DHHS for a permit :P

I found a lot of the specs I got were from having an unclean silver bath, if I was a little lazy and didn't bother filtering it, I'd end up with all those specs in the image.

With scanning I found it best to have the scanner lid open and use the "blackness" of the non-covered section as the black point, this really helped with getting the contrast thats visible in the tintype IRL.

I really don't know if getting the KCN is worth all the hassle, and the actual danger of using it in an ad-hoc rather than lab environment. I could just foresee me spilling it on my self or something equally as stupid.

Still getting the hang of scanning them. It's tricky business. But the level of detail on these things is nuts. I've read about it a lot before but you never appreciate how amazing they are until you have one up close in your hands, the resolution is insane.

Onwards and upwards. I'm hooked though. On the plus side, my varnishing game is absolutely on point. Perfect smooth finish.

The plates are just wonderful things to have, I'm starting to get the itch again after seeing all your work.

I'm rebuilding my 8x10 into a field like camera at the moment, it folds down into a box so I should be able to shove it into a large backpack when its ready. Also I've got some Baryta paper coming from Freestyle that should good to use for making Collodion prints with, or Print-out-Paper as it used to be called. Supposed to be the most archival printing processes thats ever existed.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ironically I usually prefer to buy from KEH because of the generous return policy and they feel more "credible" to me. I did buy a couple of LF lenses from Japanese eBay sellers and when one of the lenses was totally not like it was described, I sent it back and got a refund. Still, I would have preferred to get it from KEH if available.

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

Dren posted:

I bought my Mamiya 7 body locally, but I bought all my lenses and accessories for it from Japanese sellers and they were all perfectly as advertised. I used to buy from KEH but the strength of the US dollar makes everything way too expensive now.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
The pentax is a lot less than half of a mamiya 7.

I paid a about $300 for the body, (working) metered prism, and the handle, from Japan.
Another $150 from keh for my 55mm. Looks like the 75mm is about $210.

The Mamiya 7 looks to be far more than $1000 :(

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I looked at yvette bessel's trouble shooting page and she diagnoses the black spots appearing after final wash from not rinsing the plates thoroughly enough. That dirty 4x5 was shot before the clean 8x10, which rules out the silver bath. I sun/filter and balance my silver bath back after every session. I have 3 separate baths on the go.

Yes I scan with the lid open, there is a guide that showed me how to do it. Just finnicky is all. Every plate scans differently.

Re: KCN I feel confident i could handle it safely. Just wash the developer i guess. If all else fails wear a heavy respirator And gloves/eyewear etc.

Definitely get back into it mate.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Spedman posted:

I'm rebuilding my 8x10 into a field like camera at the moment, it folds down into a box so I should be able to shove it into a large backpack when its ready. Also I've got some Baryta paper coming from Freestyle that should good to use for making Collodion prints with, or Print-out-Paper as it used to be called. Supposed to be the most archival printing processes thats ever existed.

Is this 8x10 you built?
I'm kind of toying with the idea of swapping out the tachihara. It's nice but a little heavy and awkward. If i can sell off all my MF and most of my 4x5 stuff might go for a chamonix 8x10 or ritter and 4x5 reducing back.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Is this 8x10 you built?
I'm kind of toying with the idea of swapping out the tachihara. It's nice but a little heavy and awkward. If i can sell off all my MF and most of my 4x5 stuff might go for a chamonix 8x10 or ritter and 4x5 reducing back.

That sounds like a great plan, those 8x10 Chamonix's look really nice, but a fair bit of what I can pay for a camera at the moment (just married, starting family soon, work contracts ending, etc etc).

Yep the 8x10 I had previously built, I'm using the back standard as the top of the box, but some hinges on it so it swings back of the bottom half of the box which has the bellows and focusing mechanics inside. It's still pretty heavy, but much more portable, I may have to get a new tripod at some point too.

I think I'll just shoot x-ray and litho film and keep trying the alternative printing processes, and even do some contacts with the 2000 sheets of Ilford paper I got recently from the CSIRO shutting down their darkrooms in Melbourne.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Thanks everyone. I'm gonna chew on it for a bit.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Spedman posted:

2000 sheets of Ilford paper I got recently from the CSIRO shutting down their darkrooms in Melbourne.

Oh that reminds me, speaking of CSIRO/Antarctic Division, if you've got a CSIRO contact maybe ask if you can get onto the Hobart stockpile apparently they've got tonnes of old dorkroom stuff in storage.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I honestly don't have anymore room for darkroom stuff at the moment, this was the haul I got a few months ago:

And a friend was cleaning his school's darkroom (thankfully they were just refurbishing it not destroying it) and he gave me a modular Durst Printo automatic print processing machine, suitable for doing colour and b&w prints,
I still haven't set it up and tried it out yet:

(not my photo)

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Spedman posted:

POP prints, if I think that's what you're talking about... same as salt printing etc? I've wanted to get into that. I've flicked through Ellie's manual on Salt Prints but probably wouldn't feel confident venturing down that route until I get this collodion stuff down pat. Some of Borut Peterlin's prints are awesome, though. Something different for sure.

Very cool.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

POP prints, if I think that's what you're talking about... same as salt printing etc? I've wanted to get into that. I've flicked through Ellie's manual on Salt Prints but probably wouldn't feel confident venturing down that route until I get this collodion stuff down pat. Some of Borut Peterlin's prints are awesome, though. Something different for sure.

Its close to salt printing but a bit easier (I think), you make up a collodion type solution then flow it into paper as you would a plate, run off the excess, dry and then you're good to go. The issues being the paper you need, as there are only a few types of sized paper that will work with process due to the alcohol in it.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I got my gw690ii on eBay from a Japanese seller and it was in perfect condition, too. Hundreds cheaper than what i could find locally and significantly cheaper than keh. Obviously ymmv

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."
I bought my RB67 from a Japanese camera dealer on ebay and just was in the exact condition described and was super easy to deal with. Like BANME said much cheaper than KEH, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy from ebay again under similar circumstances.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
From my experience with KEH and Japanese camera dealers, I'd much sooner go to Japanese folks on eBay.

KEH are great, good communication and excellent customer service, but I've had two items arrive to me in far worse condition than advertised and damage done that was not described in the description (which, with credit to them, they were super quick and more than happy to rectify by paying for repairs or replacements). At least those Japs have meticulous description and plenty of clear photographs illustrating exactly what you are purchasing, in my experience anyway.

nop
Mar 31, 2010
Echoing similar statements. I bought by gw690 from ebay. Shipping to Canada was about the same (and probably faster) and customs let it slip without duties/taxes (but don't count on that).

Being able to see what you're getting is a huge bonus I think. You can pick up some gear that might not look perfect cosmetically but otherwise functions fine. From what I can tell a lot of the ebay sellers from Japan run camera stores, so they know what they're talking about.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Oh yeah and shipping from those Japanese guys to my door in Australia was like 2 days. drat i've had letters to the other side of the state take longer than that.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I love KEH and the level of security they give me - they are more than willing to put up with returns because they understand how anal we are about our gear sometimes. That being said, I wouldn't have to do those returns if they described their items better. An EX+ for a 40 year old lens is not the same as an EX+ for a year old lens, and fungus vs. front element scratch vs. rear element dust chunks isn't properly graded in my opinion. The few things I've purchased from Japanese Ebay sellers have been super cheap, quickly delivered, and in better condition than advertised.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
My experience with KEH is that they're ultra-conservative with their ratings. What's considered bargain at KEH would be barely used or excellent at other used shops.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Oh yeah and shipping from those Japanese guys to my door in Australia was like 2 days. drat i've had letters to the other side of the state take longer than that.

Yep I had the same experience. Shipping was something like $40 and it got to Canada in a couple business days.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

Mám Trasna

Glassilaun

edit: are these looking ok (in particular the darker areas), I was editing them in photoshop and having some problems with colour profiles, I thought they were all sorted but when I downloaded the JPEGS from flickr the dark areas seemed all messed up again

crap nerd fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 8, 2015

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Looks fine to me. Nice photos too!

Edit: One of mine too

Via Baccina, Roma by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 7, 2015

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
What's conventional wisdom on setting up your scans to not be dusty/lovely/bad in terms of actually placing them in your scanner? I have access to an Epson V800 but the room it's in is a dusty pile of crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Thoogsby posted:

What's conventional wisdom on setting up your scans to not be dusty/lovely/bad in terms of actually placing them in your scanner? I have access to an Epson V800 but the room it's in is a dusty pile of crap.

Do you have film holders? Use a blower, use a blower, use a blower. Put the film in the holders, use a blower, use a brush lightly, use a blower some more. Blower on the holders, on the scanner, keep blowing until you are scanning and then use photoshop/lightroom cause you are still going to have some dust spots. Clean your filthy hovel.

• Locked thread